BYU football notebook: Freshmen featured in 'vanilla' scrimmage (+ video)

Comments

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 9, 2012 11:22 p.m.

The high number of sacks either means that the defense is as good as we hoped, or else it means that the offensive line is not as good as we hoped. Hopefully the OL gets better regardless of how good our defense is.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2012 11:47 p.m.

I'm sure w/this report, byu looks forward to November, which'll be just like 2011....Good-Times.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2012 8:54 a.m.

AzUterus1

I'm sure the Uteys will enjoy the Vegas Bowl again. The Utes are just like UA and ASU.

• cougarfan1 Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 10, 2012 10:17 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar
    The other factor with the sacks is that they are "whistle sacks" which is highly subjective. There were at least 2 for Riley and 1 for Hill that personally I though they scrambled and would have gotten away in a real game. The Defense does look pretty stout though :)

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 10, 2012 10:46 a.m.

@RivertonCougar

The scary thing was that our O-line was going up against the 2's on defense the entire time. However, they looked fantastic in their run blocking, opening up big holes for our RB's (each RB averaged over 5 YPC). And a few of the 'sacks' were missed blocks by our RB's.

I think the OL will be good. They look fantastic, definitely a lot leaner then before. Give 'em three weeks together and I think they have the potential to be one of the best we've had. However, in my opinion, they are still the biggest question mark that needs to be answered during camp.

Go Cougars!

• J W springville, UT
    Aug. 10, 2012 11:48 a.m.

AZute, The weak November is a growing pain of going independent. in '13 we'll play Wisconsin and Notre Dame in November so it's getting better. The Utes have growing pains of their own like a loosing record in the PAC last year so I'm sure you understand better than any BYU fan what a growing pain is because the utes were 4/5 in the PAC and unranked nationally.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2012 1:28 p.m.

After watching the scrimmage I am convinced that JW/SammyG/17-14 Hurts don't it is correct. BYU will win every game.