BYU football: Cougars paying close attention to detail

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 3, 2012 12:12 a.m.

Very excited to hear that Max is back with the program as a student, QB coach. Someone like him would have been very beneficial to Heaps last year as Doman was cutting his teach at OC. I think Max will really help Riley with some of his mechanics and pocket presence.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 3, 2012 12:40 a.m.

Rise and shout.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 3, 2012 7:32 a.m.

One play at a time - one game at a time. Play every down as if it's the most important thing going on at the moment. I would love to see that kind of concentration. On defense, make no assignment mistakes. Don't get beat on the long balls. Please, no stupid penalties stemming from cockiness. On offense, the offensive line must make the holes and stop the rushers. Protect the quarterback. Receivers must catch the ball at twice the rate as M. Jacobsen. I wish you all the very best. I would love to see hard hitting quick players who execute to precision. Leave the attitude in your lockers and concentrate on YOUR assignment each and every play. Have a great season and have great fun. You have an incredible fan base. Even people like Chris B cannot miss a single play or single story. How's that for a fan?

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 3, 2012 7:45 a.m.

If this team is prepared to play it will be the first time under Bronco. Time will tell. I hope they are ready, but I fear that there is no one who can run the ball and no one to pass the ball. Here's hoping that the defense can score 2 or 3 touchdowns a game.

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 3, 2012 9:45 a.m.

Strange, an August article where BYU doesn't mention it winning the National Championship. The program must really be growing up and BYU is probably the most dangerous its been in years.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 3, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Max back on the sideline as a coach. This is gonna be great. I bet Bronco already has a gogo order on him for fall camp, and then the week leading up to the rivalry game. It's after the rivalry game thought that Bronco should be worried about.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 3, 2012 5:39 p.m.

@Wayne Rout
    BYU under Bronco usually wins the first game. Washington, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, etc. It's games 2 and 3 where they seem to have had trouble.

But I agree that I'm looking forward to this tough season. If they come out with 2 losses, that will be a fantastic season for them. I pessimistically expect 4 losses, and I think most Cougar fans are in that ball park. You don't line up with Boise, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and Utah, all on the road, and expect to win them all.

But one think I think we can all agree on - this team will be tough as nails on both sides of the ball. Nelson and Van Noy are as tough as they get. And toughness wins a lot of games. Of course, if Nelson goes down early, it could derail the season as much as BYU's knocking out Oklahoma's QB ruined their season.

What I don't want to see is the indecision, fear, and confusion that marked the offense last year. And we won't.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 5, 2012 6:12 p.m.

"byu is the most dangerous its been in years" That's a laugh..Good luck with your 5'10" midget quarterback...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 6, 2012 9:05 a.m.

@jenny83

Cinci Man is a utah fan. Good luck with your never been good always injured qb.