Utah

Stephen R. Covey, author of '7 Habits of Highly Effective People,' dies at 79 (+video)

Comments

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:17 a.m.

An awesome man. Thanks Stephen!
    -roger-

• jill17 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:19 a.m.

" seek first to understand, not to be understood."
    Thank you mr. Covey

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    July 16, 2012 10:23 a.m.

Individuals, families, and businesses will greatly miss the inspired advice of Stephen R. Covey. One of my favorite quotes attributed to him goes something like: "Before you go charging up the latter of success, make sure it's leaning against the right building." That advice has been huge in my life.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:35 a.m.

I had the priviledge of meeting Mr. Covey at Riverside Country Club in 1993. He had great presence, almost an authority-like aura. I liked him. Given his enthusiasm and power, I'm not surprised he was still biking (and going fast!) at age 79. The man taught a lot of truth and inspired millions.

If it's not inappropriate, I'd like to know what exactly led to this great man's untimely death: swelling, stroke, internal bleeding, heart related?

Wishing comfort to all his great family.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:47 a.m.

RIP Stephen Covey! I can't even begin to express how his "7 Habits" book changed my life.

• jbbevan Heber City, UT
    July 16, 2012 11:09 a.m.

He was my professor 41 years ago when I studied for my MBA at BYU. He changed the entire direction of my life. I have used his philosophy and teachings to "heal" three broken companies. I met with him briefly last year and thanked him. He was counselor to 35 heads of state around the world. He was an amazing teacher and perhaps the best ambassador this state has ever had.

HOWEVER, to call him a motivational speaker trivializes his life's work. He was so much more than that. He was firmly rooted in principles rather than techniques. He taught "empathy" in ways nobody else could.

The world will miss him, but what a Legacy he has left !!

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    July 16, 2012 11:19 a.m.

How awesome that he was biking at the age of 79! Doing what he loved until the end. Condolences to all the Covey family.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 16, 2012 12:01 p.m.

Being with the end in mind...

Well lived life.

Thanks for all the distilled wisdom Br. Covey, and the time you spent chatting with me after OB321 on particularly horrible day of my life in 1979, it made a world of difference.

Best Wishes and condolences to his family and close friends.

• Gordon Wilson SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 16, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Stephen always knew what to say to validate me, make me feel better about me than I thought even about myself. He was a champion for what´s right, but mostly, for doing the right thing.

• DRay Roy, UT
    July 16, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Any connection one can make to Bro. Covey, whether through his books, lectures, or personal contact, yields great benefits...he was a great man who put his whole heart and soul into both doing and teaching wonderful principles to live by. He will be missed.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    July 16, 2012 12:35 p.m.

The 7 Habits changed my life for the better as well. Glad I had a chance to learn from this man. Best wishes to his family and friends.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    July 16, 2012 12:41 p.m.

I'd heard he died from complications from his bike crash.

And frankly, that's the way I'd want to go: still active when I'm "old" and passing away as a result.

Far better than sitting around watching my golden years rust. Great example, even to the end!

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    July 16, 2012 1:48 p.m.

Truly an inspiring life and a legacy well worth the effort. not only will his family miss him, and condolences to them, but so will the rest of the world!

• kkodey Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Dr Stephen Covey...he liked to simply be called "Stephen" to those he considered his friends, and everybody seemed to be Stephen's friend...He was a giant in the community, and a warm, affable gentleman who was a mentor to presidents, prime ministers, and even pontiffs...If everybody were to embrace the principles taught by Dr Covey, this world would be a much better place. Every time Stephen would see me, he would affectionately rub my bald head, and call me his twin. I will truly miss this giant of a man with his sweet, gentle spirit. I suppose he is in heaven right now organizing seminars, and giving lectures to the angels. Rest in peace, Stephen Covey.....

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    July 16, 2012 2:57 p.m.

I brought in speakers from around the US to speak to entrepreneurs. Everyone found them impressive. But when Steve Covey came, that 3 hour block riveted people to their chairs and was life altering. Covey was a terrific person and had so much to offer. May you rest a moment before you continue your eternal progression.

• raybies Layton, UT
    July 16, 2012 4:07 p.m.

Just recently finished the 7 Habits workshop, and it's just as timely as ever. Great insights and clarity. Stephen had a gift of crystalizing timeless truth into nuggets accessible to anybody interested in learning them. I really enjoyed the training and know he's left a lasting legacy in his wake.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    July 16, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Mr. Covey sat next to me on a plane and saw I had a Covey time management leather cover. He asked me if he could see it and opened it to find a Franklin system. I laughed embarrassingly as he took out a blank page. While he talked to me on the flight he scribbled on the page. When we were done he drew a saw over his doodles and said, "Your doing great. Just sharpen it." Then he put the page back into my planner.

I should have had him sign the doodle. Anyways, I carried that page with me for about 10 years.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 16, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Best advice that changed my life.

A church centered life has some value.
    A family centered life has some value.

But only a Divine Center life meets all the tests.

Love you, Dr. Covey.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    July 16, 2012 4:35 p.m.

A wonderful man who was instrumental in teaching students, listeners and readers how to think,

not what to think.

Forever grateful!

Condolences to family and friends.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 16, 2012 4:36 p.m.

Stephen Covey was the real deal.

(a number of the people around him in his business were less so)

• Bruce Van Orden Springville, Utah
    July 16, 2012 4:45 p.m.

Stephen Covey aided me personally as well. I was also happy to help him with one of his books. Stephen M.R. Covey is a special friend. May God bless all of you at this time of grief.

• Gosh-DUH Burlington, CT
    July 16, 2012 4:47 p.m.

From a SL Tribune article: "Sagers said her father, an avid cyclist, was cycling with a friend Thursday in Rock Canyon Park when the accident occurred.

Covey went down a hill too fast and flipped forward on the bicycle, Sagers said. She said her father was wearing a helmet but it appears to have slipped backward as Covey was falling. Covey’s head hit the pavement, Sagers said.

"It was a pretty big goose egg on the top of his head," Sagers said.

Covey also suffered cracked ribs and a partially collapsed lung. The friend called 911, and an ambulance took Covey to the hospital."

wonder if anyone knows more details on an apparent ill-fitting helmet.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    July 16, 2012 4:54 p.m.

I loved his analogy of the spiral staircase vs. the rotating door. Each step may feel like the last, but one rises you to a higher level.

Can you repeat what you just did at a higher level?

thank you Stephen.

• David P. Livermore, CA
    July 16, 2012 6:43 p.m.

Enrolled in one of Steven Covey's classes at BYU in the 1970's. He truely was a marvelous
    motivator. He saw things from many different sides and aspects. Very Positive Always!!!

Enjoyed the class and his many books.

Thanks Brother Covey.

LOrd Bless him in his new life on the other side and LOrd Bless his family here in this life

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 16, 2012 10:27 p.m.

I grew up with the Covey's, and went to school with his children. What a great guy and what a great family he raised. I just can't say how sad this makes me but at the same time I am sure he is as happy as ever, positive about his new experience and soaking in all the new info. I'd sure love to read the book he would write about it.

Thanks for the memories.

• Idaho_Boy Aberdeen, ID
    July 16, 2012 11:15 p.m.

Any time I'm in a contract negotiation I always think about the win/win concept. There are many things that I have learned from what Stephen Covey taught, but trying to put myself in the other person's shoes and thinking about the deal from their perspective and trying to make sure that it makes sense to them as well as the company that I'm working for is something that I have incorporated into my life and into my business dealings. May God bless each member of the Covey family at this difficult time.

• EnglishAlan Rugeley, Staffs
    July 17, 2012 1:03 a.m.

As a young Missionary, Stephen R Covey was our Mission Representative. The first time I met him was several months into my Mission, but I learned more in two hours in his presence about the art of teaching than in the previous months. I will never forget how he became the "unheard voice of the investigator" as he would wqatch us teach. From someone else, it could have appeared negative, but he was just so positive, and it lifted us to want to be better. He spoke quietly, and I had to lean forward slightly to hear him. I did so gladly, as I knew that what he was saying was worth the hearing.

Thank-you Brother Covey. Thank-you for caring about the one. God bless you and your family during the temporary separation before you all thrill in that joyous reunion that awaits.

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    July 17, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Before the 7 Habits, he wrote Spiritual Roots of Human Relations - and something about Christ centered life, which gave me a strong start. I was saddened to hear of his death, but inspired about his impact on Earthlife. Well done, Bro Covey.

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    July 17, 2012 6:36 a.m.

The Divine Center! I wore out my first copy and just bought it again for my Kindle.

• Michelle Z Blanchester, Ohio
    July 17, 2012 8:13 a.m.

I enjoyed learning from him many years ago in Ventura or maybe it was Thousand Oaks, California in the '80's when I took a seminar on positive outlook and time management. I was so happy when I got a certificate for the classes and had been able to put it on my resume. I always thought highly of him and what he taught. I used his Franklin system all my life. What a wonderful example for his family, grandchildren and great grandchildren! Thank you for sharing him with me.

• Mountain Bird West Jordan, UT
    July 17, 2012 11:12 a.m.

His passing comes as sad news. My condolences to the Covey family. I'm pretty sure I owe my life to this great man.

• CiderMan OGDEN, UT
    July 17, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Stephen Covey, I will remember his energy where as a young missionary he lectured us at a Mission Conference held in Houston Texas, December 1980. He gave us all a signed copy of his book "Spiritual Roots of Human Relations". I have been an avid reader and follower of his works ever since. I can say that having worked for Franklin Covey that what he preached was truly practiced by the company. For six months I was allowed to work a majority of my time at home while I cared for my terminally ill brother until he passed away. Eventually I was laied off but with a very generous severance package. I will never forget the generosity of this very kind man and social visionary; he will be sorely missed!

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    July 17, 2012 2:34 p.m.

I once heard him comment that he felt that Christ was the ultimate example of the seven habits. His humility in success was another great example. May his family and friends be comforted by their memories and hope in an eternal association.

• Aarius Sandy, Utah
    July 17, 2012 3:06 p.m.

There is a joy beyond description that can be experienced at times like this. As an active member of the LDS Church I understand the doctrine that can allow such an experience. I get a breaking news alert via email on my Deseret News online account and I learn that a truly great man whom I have looked up to and admired has died. My very first impression; I smile, my heart rejoices as I try to imagine the joy taking place as part of a family already having completed this mortal probation reunites. I know there is a celebration just beyond the veil my heart and soul know of but can only try to imagine as a celebration I fully understand takes place within me in that very instant. I have learned so much from "Brother Covey" and I want his family who might read this to know there are thousands like me. It is necessary to grieve and we can weep with you but the knowledge overcomes the sorrow. Someone you won't ever know is writing this and I do so promise you the doctrine is true.