BYU football: Tanner Mangum hopes to join the short list of successful returned missionary quarterbacks

Comments

• Sanpete in Utah Fairview, UT
    July 2, 2012 11:29 p.m.

Does Riley Nelson not count as having flourished as BYU quarterback after a two-year mission?

• Chris from Rose Park PROVO, UT
    July 2, 2012 11:51 p.m.

@Sanpete in Utah

I think it's too early to say about Riley Nelson. I say we should leave that decision till after his playing career has finished.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    July 3, 2012 6:05 a.m.

Why did Max Hall come home after a year ?

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    July 3, 2012 6:09 a.m.

Good luck to you Tanner. I think you've made a great decision to serve.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 3, 2012 6:51 a.m.

Bronco is doing a great job managing the difficult dynamics Missionaries present to their Footbal Program.

These young athletes who choose to serve missions can succeed if they have enough patience with themselves as Tanner seems to have. He knows the risks and rewards and realizes it's a 5-7 year journey.

There are disadvantages to the Missionary Program on a team to be sure, but Bronco has turned it to his advatage. He's created a nice "Farm-System" for himself.

While others play Checkers....Bronco is playing Chess!

Between Bingham and Timpview High, Snow College and the Missionary Program, he has players lined up as far as the eye can see. ie Hall and Olsen among many others.

Their QB situatuion looks great for many years to come.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 3, 2012 7:15 a.m.

Assuming Taysom Hill is the starter after this season, this sets Tanner up for three years as the starter after his mission.

Three years with Taysom and three years with Tanner is a pretty bright future. This should add two more RMs to the list of successful QBs. BYU will regain it's reputation as QBU.

Although Billy Green, Ammon Olsen, Munns, and Kuresa could have something more to say about the starting rotation. The QB future looks bright.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 3, 2012 7:28 a.m.

Tanner,

Congratulations on a great decision to serve a mission. The two years will fly by and the amount of personal growth will more than compensate the temporary leave of absence you will experience in sports.

Here's wishing the greatest blessings for you and your family for your service. It will make a positive difference in your life on and off the 'field'.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 3, 2012 7:31 a.m.

It's great to see young men like Tanner who have already developed such a clear vision of setting priorities at such a young age. Good luck on your mission Tanner. We'll look forward to seeing you on the field when you return.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    July 3, 2012 7:56 a.m.

Here is the key - and kudos to the parents and Church leaders who taught this young man what is important:

"Fortunately, I decided when I was young that I was going to serve a mission, so before I had all of these opportunities to play in college I already had the goal of going on a mission. It's not something I really thought about not doing," said Mangum.

"It's going to be hard, but I know that I'll be blessed for it and I know it's the right thing to do, so it's not a decision I've ever really struggled with."

The same can be said for all tough decisions our kids make. It is our job to discuss the tough situations with them (not ignore them and hope), and prepare them so that when they face them, the decision is already made.

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    July 3, 2012 8:15 a.m.

Tanner must come from a great home with great parents.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    July 3, 2012 8:32 a.m.

@runnerguy50

Why do you care? Seems like a personal issue to me that only Max Hall and maybe his family need to know.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    July 3, 2012 8:43 a.m.

Wait - what? I thought returned missinaries gave BYU an unfair advantage. Are you telling me that Norm Chow, et al are wrong? Perish the thought!

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    July 3, 2012 8:43 a.m.

This is an aspect of the culture here in Utah that should generate respect and encouragement for the young men & women who have various forms of talent (not just in athletics) who choose to follow a higher personal pathway.

It was noticeable that some folks commenting on Harvey Langi's recent similar decision clearly don't get it... but fortunately many do.

Clearly the odds for success in life AND on the gridiron are in this young man's favor.

To Tanner, a toast ---- L'Chaim!!

• Max Charlotte, NC
    July 3, 2012 8:46 a.m.

So being happy and positive means you aren't competitive? WHAT?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 3, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Sounds pretty much awesome.

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    July 3, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Way to go Tanner; you will never regret your decision!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    July 3, 2012 10:04 a.m.

The benefits certainly aren't in athleticism, Cougar fans don't care. With such a short list of successful QB's, serving a mission is a negative for football, but that's not what life is all about. Tradition, Spirit, Honor.

Have a great mission Tanner

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2012 10:23 a.m.

This Ute wishes Tanner the best.

• JP Skillet Murray, UT
    July 3, 2012 11:54 a.m.

Tanner is a wonderful young man and he will make the world a better place. I just wish he realized that he could be a better missionary by staying and playing football and taking BYU to the NC. But I respect his choice and wish him well.

• BYU Deek Spanish Fork, UT
    July 3, 2012 11:55 a.m.

I have to say, certain people I follow on Twitter stated months ago that Tanner received his mission call to Chile, and would be leaving this month. Either they were wrong, which isn't likely, or Tanner postponed it. . . Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In the article he stated that he is grey shirting to get a feel for college, instead of having to dive completely in as an RM. He may have asked for a deferment, which, I understand the church reviews on an individual basis. I don't know if he'll have to resubmit papers, or if his calling to Chile is still his, either way, I wish him the best.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Great choice by a great young man. Always good to see these young men make choices that are much more important than the sport in which they participate.

Good luck of your mission and here's hoping for a great football future for you when you return.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2012 1:03 p.m.

Re: JP Skillet

"I just wish he realized that he could be a better missionary by staying and playing football and taking BYU to the NC."

Wow--I most seriously have to disagree with that. What is your definition of a "better missionary"? I would frankly take one any day who doesn't think his considerable talent warrants an exemption to the "every worthy young man" directive.

But, given that it apparently isn't completely obvious how some LDS athletes' minds work, let's discuss it. I have a son who plays another sport, who may be very, very good when he is older. He has also committed (at an early age, like Tanner) to serve a mission. And guess what--the idea of being the very best he can be in sports while having people say he would be a better missionary by not going is extremely serious motivation indeed. Tanner Mangum, good luck to you, and I hope you read this.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    July 3, 2012 2:05 p.m.

@JP Skillet

Serving for two years makes a far better missionary out of you. That's when you really grind down and do the work. And why not achieve both missionary goals? Go out for two years and serve. Then come back and make the NC. He can do it if he really works for it. And the first is still the far better choice everytime

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    July 3, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Re: Ed Grady

Don't perish your thoughts just yet. I've never heard anyone speak to an advantage returned missionaries have at the QB (i.e. skilled) position. It's usually referred to Offensive Linemen where two years maturity can be an advantage.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2012 2:26 p.m.

"How short is the list of BYU quarterbacks who have flourished after returning from two years of service in the mission field? Well, it includes exactly two..." -- Brandon Gurney

"Doman feels that the positives Mangum and others can obtain over those two years greatly outweigh any negatives. 'The tradeoff — with all the leadership skills, the maturity level and everything else — I'd trade that in every time for what you can potentially lose over those two years,' said Doman. 'You just can't substitute what you can gain over the course of a mission and what you come home with. It can be absolutely huge for our players and has proven to be a huge benefit to this program.'" -- Brandon Gurney

Do cougar QBs flourish after their missions, or were there only 2? If there were only 2, than the missions HADN'T been proven as a huge benefit. But if it HAD proven to be a huge benefit, than there had to have been greater than 2 RM QBs who have flourished. So which IS it?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2012 2:48 p.m.

"There are disadvantages to the Missionary Program on a team to be sure, but Bronco has turned it to his advantage. He's created a nice 'Farm-System' for himself." -- Bluto

Well, it certainly worked with "Farming" Riley Nelson while recruiting him out from under Utah State while he was on his mission.

"While other play Checkers....Bronco is playing Chess." -- Bluto

And while Bronco is playing Chess, his players are playing "hot potato" with the football. Whittingham and HIS players just line up and play Football. And that's probably why Utah won 7 of the last 10, and pounded Bronco's "Band of Butterfingers" on his Home field to the tune of 54-10.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2012 3:00 p.m.

ImaCaMan:

"I've never heard anyone speak to an advantage returned missionaries have at the QB (i.e. skilled) position."

Then I suppose you didn't read the article. According to Brandon Gurney, former-cougar-QB turned QB-coach/Offensive Coordinator Brandon Doman, "...feels that the positives Mangum and others can obtain over those two years greatly outweigh any negatives."

"The tradeoff — with all the leadership skills, the maturity level and everything else — I'd trade that in every time for what you can potentially lose over those two years.....You just can't substitute what you can gain over the course of a mission and what you come home with. It can be absolutely huge for our players and has proven to be a huge benefit to this program." -- Brandon Doman

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    July 3, 2012 3:32 p.m.

I admire this young man's decision and his maturity. I especially liked a few of his quotes.

Regardless of your religious affiliation, I think this line of thinking will serve him well throughout his life.

• IndyWACer 500 Eureka, UT
    July 3, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Umm... see you in a couple years?

Hope you do better than Jakey Boy. I'm sure you will.

• vesparider Pocatello, ID
    July 3, 2012 5:12 p.m.

I was surprised that Tanner was Grayshirting as well. I thought he was heading straight out on a mission but I don't really know when his birthday is. I was wondering if Bronco asked him to Grayshirt just to gage his sense of entitlement compared to Jake Heaps. I think that Bronco made some exceptions during the recruitment of Jake and that it has soured him a little more on how entitled these guys feel while being recruited and the fact that they expect the path to starting to be wide open when they get to the program. I think playing Jake as a true freshman knowing that he wasn't ready to "lead" a team went against just about everything he thinks as a head coach. He doesn't want to ever repeat that again and some recruits won't like that and will take their game to other programs. Bronco will be fine with that but will we as fans?

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    July 3, 2012 5:41 p.m.

He will regret this decision. He'll loose some skill and get soft. This is a bad decision on so many levels.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    July 3, 2012 5:43 p.m.

Congratulations Tanner for your decision to serve. You won't regret it.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    July 3, 2012 6:27 p.m.

BYU DEEK. Some of the young men in our ward entered the MTC 6 months after receiving their mission call due to Visa issues with the the host country. This may be his situation also.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    July 3, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Classy Utes abound! Thanks for that!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 3, 2012 9:38 p.m.

That's perfect. Jordan Wynn will have graduated and after he transfers to the U he can compete with Wilson and Hansen for the QB position.

(Note: the above comment is for all of you that made ridiculous posts about Harvey Langi becoming a Cougar when he finishs his mission.)

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 4, 2012 8:15 a.m.

NavalVet

Here you are again?
    Three successive posts?
    Still consumed with all things BYU..Which dosen't display a great deal of confidence on your part, with your own team.
    I thought U and your Utes had moved on?
    Too big for BYU?
    Then act like it!

However, we all know you can't, as you hang on every little tidbit of news on BYU Athletics, as you feel a need to counter anything positive on BYU.
    You have a chronic case of an Inferiority Complex.

-Fourty years of BYU domination in all Sports
    -Watching BYU produce All-Americans by a ratio of 5-1
    -National Award winners
    -Hall of Famers
    -Big & full Stadiums and Arenas
    -Legacy Programs
    -National Fan Base
    -Major Network exposure

Has taken it's toll on you.....

Remedies...

-Thou shalt not Covet.
    -Celebrate your Big Brothers achievements (don't be jealous)
    -Try to equal BYU's achievements.
    -Settle on a mascot...Utes, Red Tailed Hawks...Red Rocks......pick one!
    -Go Fishing and Salute the Y.

Finally..
    Obtain a sense of humor, the long BYU shadow will still always hang over you, but at least you'll be able to laugh about it..

• Prep Fanatic Los Angeles, CA
    July 4, 2012 9:31 a.m.

I am all for young men serving a two year mission, and I take my hat off to Tanner for sticking to his deciscion. However, I have followed BYU football for many, many years, and do have to say that in my opinion, Tanner will never attain greatness as a BYU quarterback following his mission. Most of the time when stellar athletes in high school leave for missions, they are never the same when they return. There is a big list of athletes, that were great high school players, and then left on missions, only to return and just be mediocre players at best. So you BYU fans that think Tanner is going to break this mold, I wouldn't hold your breath. Two years is a long time to be away from football. But Tanner, I admire you for your choice, and wish you the best success during and following your mission!

• sg newhall, CA
    July 4, 2012 12:00 p.m.

Big mistake. Life is not always about serving a mission in one's youth. He would serve better by playing football and becoming an "on the field" example. I don't see the passing of a mission by Steve Young as a deterrent. The good Lord bless this kid with talents. To put them on hold, why? He can serve a mission when his career is over. There is no commandment that says every young man MUST serve. And sorry, but there is never a guarantee that serving a mission will bring untold blessings. That is not a firm truth. It is more folklore. To add pressure on any young man's life as to what he should or shouldn't do by the time he is 19 is ridiculous. It is and should be his choice, not the 'pressured' choice of his parents or even the church. I detest the adage, "Every young man should serve a mission." No, every young man shouldn't and doesn't have to. As a culture, we equate success with serving a mission. No church has the right to connote success with serving a mission. It is a false truth.

• beefstew Taylorsville, UT
    July 4, 2012 12:34 p.m.

I love college football more than any other sport spectacle and haven't missed attending a home Ute game for years. But football fails to compare to serving in the capacity of a missionary for someone that has made that a goal. I look back at the mission experience and the rewards play dramatically into my professional career and most importantly my responsibility as a husband and father.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Gray shirt, 2 year mission, redshirt followed by 4 years of elligibility. Home boy is going to be 26 when he gets done playing.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 7, 2012 10:54 p.m.

I had high hopes for Tanner. Not so much now, he will come back with the physique of a 32 year old out fielder. Just another highly touted QB; joining the bermuda (sp) triangle of college football recruits. These highly rated QBs seldom work out at BYU...aka Jake Heeps!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 9, 2012 7:47 a.m.

@spokane ute

As opposed to how they "work out" at utah? Oh that's right, utah never gets any "highly rated qb recruits and almost never has good qb's. Just the way it is.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 9, 2012 12:06 p.m.

@ Ducky

Yeppers, that Alex Smith sure was a bust.

Blah ha ha ha

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 9, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Returning from a mission as a QB is tough - you lose so much of your throwing motion and arm strength plus the timing and ability to read defenses . However Tyler won't have to worry about any of that too much since BYU doesn't throw the ball much anymore under the new "run and boot" offense. BYU wants a "mobile" QB (key word for running QB). Doman excelled under the funky offense of Crowton - mostly run first offense. If I am Tyler and I want to throw the ball in college I am taking this opportunity to look around at other schools. At 6'3" tyler won't fit the run-style offense of Doman and will most likely end up like Jake Heaps.BYU wants the 5'10" scramblers that can fool you with the pass once in a while...like R. Nelson.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 9, 2012 3:49 p.m.

@spokane ute

1st of all alex smith was not a highly rated recruit by any stretch. If I remember correctly he had exactly 1 offer. 2nd of all he was a decent college system qb but certainly not great. As a pro he has been pretty disappointing with a grand total of about 1 good quarter of 1 playoff game to his credit.

But utah "fans" are not well versed in great college qb's, they have NEVER had one. Not one. So I understand your confusion.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 9, 2012 3:51 p.m.

@patriot

Who's Tyler? Never heard of him. If you are talking about Tanner well perhaps you ought to become a bit more educated on the actual names of BYU recruits if you are going to keep trying to pretend that you are a BYU fan.

LOL!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 10, 2012 7:47 a.m.

@ Ducky

I guess if the #1 draft pick in the NFL doesn't define a great college QB, nothing does. I guess if leading a team to the NFC championship is considered "dissapointing"; I'll take it. I didn't notice any BYU QB's in the playoffs. Haven't for quite some time. Also, Calling some one out for a mistake on a name? Weak Sauce; very weak sauce!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 10, 2012 3:35 p.m.

@spokane ute

The 49ers regret that draft pick to this day. It rates as possibly the worst #1 draft pick in nfl history. Also smith didn't "lead" anyone to the nfc championship, he jjust managed to not screw it up. That defense did all the "lead"ing.

But once again if one decent quarter of one game makes a qb "great" then your standards are extremely low.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 11, 2012 8:03 a.m.

@ Duck Hunter

Alex Smith was the 9th highest ranked QB at the end of the season. That's higher than Ben Rothlensberger, Phillip Rivers and Cam Newton. Yeah, that's "great" by anyone's standards. No BYU QB's made the top 35.

Check Mate!