Brad Rock: BYU's Nelson enjoying a summer of security

Comments

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 27, 2012 4:05 p.m.

Would Nelsons career have gone better if he had stayed at BYU???
    Did you mean Heaps or did you mean USU

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    June 27, 2012 5:28 p.m.

Love Nelson's fire. He's a fun guy to watch - can't wait for the season to start.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 27, 2012 5:36 p.m.

Can't wait for Wayne's predictable comments.

Riley's game improved over the course of last season, and I guarantee coach whit isn't taking him for granted. And if his qb skills just aren't enough...

he still has grit. A factor other teams would have killed to have down the stretch.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 27, 2012 6:33 p.m.

pretty sad state of affairs when Riley Nelson is #1 on the depth chart at QB. Riley Nelson wouldn't have even made the team when Lavell was coaching.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    June 27, 2012 8:31 p.m.

It will be a season long remembered.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 27, 2012 8:39 p.m.

Actually, laugh if you want, but Riley reminds me a lot of Steve Young.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    June 28, 2012 8:23 a.m.

I couldn't agree more with Striker! USU is pathetic and we Cougars will never consider them a real rival. "Aggie" Blue is pathetic. Go Cougars! Riley is gonna shut up the critics!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 28, 2012 8:50 a.m.

@LindonMan

If "Aggie Blue is pathetic" as you say, then why did BYU switch to the very same color?

• SpaceCowboy69 Syracuse, UT
    June 28, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Great story about a kid who never gave up. Looking forward to the season and seeing what Riley can do.

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    June 28, 2012 12:24 p.m.

I am going to laugh when Riley Nelson gets his butt kicked this year by the D-Lines of Notre Dame, Utah, GA Tech and even WA St when he tries one of his drop runs that he insists on doing twenty plus times per game. His lack of arm strength will be evident against these superior teams, and the inconsistently performing RB's will have to pick up Riley's slack. And don't even get me started with the awful WR's. Plus, Nelson won't have All-American Matt Reynolds blocking defenders. BYU is in for a really, really bad year. Mark my words...it will be comedic!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    June 28, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Utah State may very well beat BYU this year.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    June 28, 2012 3:28 p.m.

HCB63,

Horrible WR's? You lost all credibility with that comment.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 28, 2012 11:29 p.m.

HCB63

I'm going to laugh when Riley Nelson finds a way to beat the Utes at home, mark MY words. I only hope the teams you named are as arrogant and underestimate him as much as you do. But when the cougars start the season 3-0, the rest will take him a little more seriously.

And of course it will come to pass because I said mark my words.

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    June 30, 2012 8:32 a.m.

Yeah...HORRIBLE WR's! How many quality WR's drop passes as consistently as the current corps of BYU receivers? How many dropped passes that were put in the numbers are acceptable? How many excuses for poor play must the boosters and fans tolerate? How many TD's were lost last season because a perfectly catchable ball was fumbled by a WR? One or two great catches a game does not make up for the stench that is produced by such ineptness. If mediocrity is your standard, then the BYU WR's are AWESOME!!!
    And for those of you whose "credibility" I lost with my comment...I don't care. Your opinion of me is completely irrelevant.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    June 30, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Somebody in Orem woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning - feeling a little hyper-sensitive. It's not just that the receivers underachieve, or that they drop passes once in a while, but they are HORRIBLE! Of course, why am I responding at all? My comment is completely irrelevant to HC. Oh well...

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 1, 2012 3:51 p.m.

Okay, Osgrath and HCB63, I'll take our awful WR and weak-armed QB. See you in September.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    July 2, 2012 9:01 a.m.

@ Y dad,

BYU has no game film of Wazzu, and Leach's "air raid" will carve BYu up like a Xmas goose. BYu stands zero chance against Utah and will most likely not score, maybe a field goal or two if Utah turns the ball over? RudY Nelson will be creamed by the stacked, speedy, mean U D-line........I suspect him having a Max Hall 2008 performance at best. BYu is in deep trouble my friend. I hope all is well.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 2, 2012 3:15 p.m.

U-H A,

Leach didn't pack a qb, offensive line and recievers in his suitcase my friend. I LIVE in Wazzu country, and am as excited as anybody else on the Paulouse for Leach to work his magic on the other cougs, but there's a reason folks around here say Wazzu "cooged" it, and I don't expect a 180 turn-around the first game of the season.

BYU stands an excellent chance against the U, I pick Riley's ability to extend the play to be the difference in the game.

That and magic.