Utah

Sen. Orrin Hatch easily wins primary election against former state Sen. Dan Liljenquist

Comments

• OneAmerican Idaho Falls, ID
    June 26, 2012 9:23 p.m.

Utah-- You chose to give Hatch what should obviously be his last term because of his age (though that's not a given). I hope you hold his feet to the fire, because if he doesn't plan to run again, he no longer is obligated to stay true to the "conservative" values he swung back to after having abandoned them up until he saw Bennett get ousted. He ran on conservatism...PLEASE...make sure he GOVERNS with conservatism.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 26, 2012 9:27 p.m.

Now there's a surprise. When the Governor came out in support of Hatch on June 6th he'd seen the results of private polls predicting the winner. With his warchest practically untouched during the primary race Hatch will be unstopable in the general election.

Perhaps if Obama were to come to Utah and campaign for Howell ....

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 26, 2012 9:48 p.m.

Best news of the day.

• deep in thought Salt Lake, UT
    June 26, 2012 10:24 p.m.

As for me and my house, we all voted Hatch! Congrats!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    June 26, 2012 10:50 p.m.

Let's see. How much did the good Senator spend while campaigning in a primary election for a position that pays less than $200,000.00 a year? Wow, he must really care.

One American: You're funny.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    June 26, 2012 11:38 p.m.

Congrats to Dan Lil for trying to hold OH's feet to the fire.

• Eric Greene Holladay, UT
    June 27, 2012 12:03 a.m.

Utah, you are now responsible for whatever fiscal destruction this man may put upon us all.

TARP? Bailouts? Debt increases? Votes for unbalanced budgets? Yep, you got it all.

I'm pleased that Liljenquist got 30% of the vote; shows that 30% of the people are focusing on principle. And what is that principle? Fiscal restraint in federal matters.

Utah still has a long way to go to be more politically awake than it is… sigh...

• Deena King Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 12:55 a.m.

The bad news--all this proves is that Utahn's can indeed be bought--by insurance companies, healthcare companies, lawyers, hospitals, and lobbyists (Hatch's true "bosses", i.e. his campaign contributors). Sad, isn't it?

But, there is some good news here--some very good news. I congratulate the 69,000 people who took the time to learn the truth about voting records and issues. These great, great people voted for the true best candidate in this race--Dan Liljenquist. My hats off to every single one of them!

And…the fight goes one in Texas, Indiana, and other states that succeeded in ousting their RINOs. These great men and women will take their seats in a Senate where every vote counts and these votes can overrule and silence Hatch. Thank goodness!

Finally--congratulations Dan! You fought a good, valiant fight. We look forward to seeing you succeed in the future.

• Afterglow Fanissimo Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 27, 2012 4:26 a.m.

This isn't just a win for Orrin, it's a win for the entire state of Utah.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 27, 2012 5:22 a.m.

I see why Orrin wants to be in DC, who wouldn't. As much as I wanted Dan I'll whole heartedly support Orrin!

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    June 27, 2012 5:36 a.m.

It's now time to start working on what a lot of people in this forum want to do -- retire Hatch.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 27, 2012 6:05 a.m.

Yes, I am sure Hatch will try to live up to the standards of those who tried to oust him.... and not to the standards of those who supported him, and understood they were sending someone back that had a history of actually doing stuff rather than just saying "No" to everything.

It is good to see there is a little balance in Utah politics and the Tea Partiers aren't able to run everyone out of town. Hopefully the Tea Party will realize that you just can't be against everything and wrap yourself in a flag, you actually have to be able to get something done.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    June 27, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Congratulations to Senator Hatch!
    If I still lived in Utah, you would not have received my vote. This morning I did a quick check of 11 different issues of the Freedom Index which rates congress on their votes in regards to the Constitution. Sen. Hatch ranges from 30% to 100%.

To me, this means that Sen. Hatch is playing politics rather than voting according to principle.

May I be so bold as to suggest to Sen. Hatch that he review the Constitution once again? May I suggest that he use the course designed by his dearly departed friend, W. Cleon Skousen, entitled
    "The Making of America"?

Actually, this would be a good suggestion for all Americans. Just what are the basic principles on which the Constitution rests?

Our nation has seriously departed from the Constitution and the death of our Republic is looming just over the horizon. We must stop thinking in terms of Republicans vs Democrats, liberals vs conservatives, etc. and must begin to measure all issues in terms of the Constitution and its founding principles.

Limited government as outlined in the Constitution has gone by the wayside. We must apply them again. Sen. Hatch, please find them again.

• wilson-kelly Vale, OR
    June 27, 2012 7:13 a.m.

So the Sen. Hatch raised over $10 M? Gee, I wonder what the payback will be for this?
    You don't actually believe there won't be do you?
    We don't have too long to find out, I am sure.
    I am sorry so many are unaware of what actual conservatism is.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 7:41 a.m.

Every politician that held office during 9/11 and just drank the kool-aid they were given should be voted out of office. Clearly they did not exhibit the courage required for the position that the people elected them.

I went to vote last night. Voter registration records listed me as democrat so I was not allowed to vote. I have always considered myself a republican so don't know how I got the label of democrat. I wonder how many other voters encountered a similar error, and prevented from voting?

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    June 27, 2012 7:45 a.m.

RE VST

We're quiet because of our shock with the rest of you. Hatch has served Utah well, but his time should be over. He's in it for him now...not Utah. It's sad only 30% of the State can see that. I'm guessing most who voted for him did so because they A) truly believe he is best for the job or B) did not realize it's 2012 and they've been voting for this guy the duration of their lifetime.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    June 27, 2012 7:53 a.m.

When will "Zion" vote for the Constitution? Reliably Utah elects the wrong man.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    June 27, 2012 8:06 a.m.

How will Utah hold Sen. Hatch's feet to the fire when he votes against the principles of the Constitution again?

Surely the 73,668 voters who voted against him will phone, write and email him and ask him the same questions that Ezra Taft Benson and Cleon Skousen used to ask him: "Why did you vote that way?"

And what about the 146,394 who voted for Sen. Hatch? When they observe him voting against limited government and spending money foolishly, will they too phone, write and email him? Or will they now just assume that Sen. Hatch will do the right thing?

In reviewing the Freedom Index where Sen. Hatch scored only 30% I find that he voted for spending hundred of billion of dollars on such things as funding nuclear reactors in China (via US Import-Export Bank), Foreign Aid, social welfare and pork barrel highway projects, etc. Spending for unconstitutional functions of the federal government. How will we ever curtail run away spending if we do not support the limited government principle?

Will we help Sen. Hatch to "support and defend the Constitution" by raising our voices loud and long?

Time will tell.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 8:13 a.m.

I'm with UtahBlueDevil. I certainly lean to the conservative side, but we have to remember that we as a nation deal with a wide variety of views; knowing how to work with those who don't share your views will likely get some of your objectives accomplished rather than none of them at all. I'm not a particular fan of Orrin Hatch, neither am I of Mitt Romney. But Mitt as well showed he could get some things done in a state that was wildly liberal. That kind of pragmatism will likely serve him well as President.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    June 27, 2012 8:15 a.m.

I am glad the 2010 group that ousted Senator Bennett without hesitation in the caucuses and convention did not win their game on this round. I am glad that Senator Hatch can now continue his campaign for our Utah U.S. Senator so we have someone in Washington, D.C. that will be able to work with people for the common good of our country. We need people with principles that will work with others to influence our cause. He has shown over 36-years that he can work with all people and groups and still represent our great State of Utah for the good of our country and state.

Thank goodness that the November election will have someone that will be there that has experience, expertise and the knowledge and proven-capability to work for us and hopefully win in November.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 27, 2012 8:15 a.m.

I love it. 70 percent of Republicans vote for the man... a landslide in any election, and yet he is the RINO. Perhaps those who fling terms around like RINO need to look in the mirror and possibly accept that they are the ones who are not in the mainstream of what the party is all about.

THe notion that someone must agree with every last mot of policy with some else, otherwise they aren't real Republicans is what has damaged the Republican brand deeply. It is ok to have dissenting views within the party. It is what creates balance. No one is right all the time about all issues, no one. From either party. Any of the time.

Get over the party purity thing. That has been tried before in other countries, and usually leads to disastrous results.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Oh, the moaning and groaning and knashing of teeth from those who voted for Dan instead of Orrin. Get it out of your system today, please, and let's move on to bigger things, like the presidential election this fall. Cry today, then wipe your tears and go collect all your campaign signs and throw them away, even the ones you set up while taking down those of your opponent. (That was a classy move.....NOT!) It's over finally........

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    June 27, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Money equals senator for life in Utah.

• isrred Logan, UT
    June 27, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Utah's median age is 29. How can Orrin Hatch claim to truly represent a state when the MAJORITY of the people living in the state weren't even born yet when Hatch took office?

Hatch has been in Washington FAR too long. That's why I'll be voting for Scott Howell in November.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    June 27, 2012 8:57 a.m.

Is Senator Hatch talking conservative? If so, it must be an election year. 3 more months of posing, then he can go back to what he does best - "good ol' boy" RINO in DC.

Look up "career politician" in your Webster's - there's probably a picture of Orrin Hatch.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    June 27, 2012 9:16 a.m.

@isrred: So, by your logic, we should retire Pres. Monson and replace him with a fine yound Elder's Quorum president who can relate better to the young crowd?

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 27, 2012 9:18 a.m.

Hatch is not a bad person, and he has not been a bad Senator. But, we could have had a much better Senator in Dan Liljenquist.

I applaud Dan's willingness to run, and those who love our country and worked hard to get him elected. However, winning against a six term incumbent with universal name recognition, virtually unlimited funding (directly or indirectly) and endorsements from most of the big name cronies people also recognize is nearly impossible in a short campaign season.

The big question is" Will Orrin Hatch act as the real conservative he claims to be back in Washington, or was this all calculated political posturing to fool the voters again?

Time will tell.

• isrred Logan, UT
    June 27, 2012 9:23 a.m.

@oldcougar
    I don't belong to your church, so I don't care who you have running it...

• Captain Green Heber City, UT
    June 27, 2012 9:39 a.m.

Shows how "name recognition" keeps electing incumbents over and over again. Hatch will be "84" when he retires now. It's very irresponsible for Utahans to select an old man who is actually not as conservative as the State deserves over a sharp, brilliant, young, true Conservative. I'm very disappointed in Hatch and sad that Liljenquist will have to wait for 6 more years to secure the seat he needs to be in now to help save our republic from self-destruction. Orrin has been a part of putting our country so far in debt that we will never be able to recover... not ever! Utah made a huge mistake yesterday, by not properly informing themselves before voting. We badly needed Dan!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    June 27, 2012 9:59 a.m.

@isrred: I don't care which church you belong to. I'll try to make my point in "non-mormon:" A person's age, per se, has nothing to do with their ability to understand issues and represent a constituency. Age can, in fact, enhance one's ability to see a bigger picture, based on experience. Of course, if the old person does not remain curious, open-minded, and amenable to change, then age can become a handicap.

I hoped Dan would win too, but not because Orrin is old. I prefer to support people who will hopefully go to Washington to serve and to spend their 2-term efforts acting on a clear set of principles, then coming home and resuming their career...rather than someone who spends inordinate amounts of time, effort, and money to get re-re-re-re-elected.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Well done Senator Hatch.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 10:22 a.m.

"When will "Zion" vote for the Constitution? Reliably Utah elects the wrong man."

Well, Gildas' you could be right on that. It seems we are going to vote for Romney in Utah. And we put in Lee, and Chavetz. And Lilinguist was put in a state seat by Utahns. And yeah, even Senator Hatch. So yeah, I can see where you could say we reliably elect the wrong person.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 27, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Idaho Stranger - you should be honest when you post. Freedom Index had Hatch at 70% which put him among the 3 most constitutional minded senators. Even the very conservative Idaho senators were graded lower than Hatch. When supposed Tea Party PACs like Freedom Works go after senators with very conservative records you know their agenda is not what they claim. Yes hatch has made some votes that I don't agree with, but his overall record is excellent.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 27, 2012 11:35 a.m.

Re: isrred Logan, UT
    "How can Orrin Hatch claim to truly represent a state when the MAJORITY of the people living in the state weren't even born yet when Hatch took office?"

Obviously Hatch represents the values and ideals of a majority of Utahns as evidenced by the fact that we vote for him. Scott Howell is a decent family man. It is unfortunate for him that Obama is currently sitting in the White House. It will cost him the election.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 27, 2012 11:47 a.m.

Sheez! all of these republicans/socialists did what Romney said and voted for this senator turned dictator for yet another term. He will die in office.

Politicans will never make our lives better We are the ones that will make our lives better. When you let hatch decieve you into think you are powerless withgout him, the country is in big trouble.

Do you like having your gun rights taken away? Do you like being spied on? Hatch is in favor of both.

It's ironic that the most "conservative" state in the union allows themselves to vote for the same anti-constiutional republican for 36 years.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 27, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Republicans are a bunch of socialists. Hatch promotes socialism.

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    June 27, 2012 12:51 p.m.

I was one of those who fought to get Bob Bennett ousted in 2010.
    I'm also one of those who supported Orrin Hatch yesterday. I voted based on the records of the two candidates. I agree with Senator Hatch on more than 95% of his votes. I definitely did NOT agree with 95% of Liljenquist's votes.
    The Grama debacle had a much bigger impact on my vote than anything else.

• DHRM Bountiful, UT
    June 27, 2012 12:58 p.m.

I am grateful for the honor and privilege to know Dan Liljenquist and the wonderful people from his campaign. They always stood for correct and true principles and were consistent examples of what is good in the world. Dan’s positive character shines through as he leads with integrity and dignity. I will ALWAYS Stand with Dan!

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 27, 2012 1:12 p.m.

I didn't like dan either. But I voted for him just to get the fuhrer our of office.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2012 1:20 p.m.

I realize this is after the fact, but I think it's pretty hypocritical of Hatch to call FreedomWorks "sleazy." If you get on their web site, they are very up-front about who they are, their purpose, which candidates they support, etc. They carefully documented each of Hatch's votes that they took issue with. They are an ongoing, long-term, principled organization.

By contrast, Hatch's super PAC (Freedom Path) is very vague, shadowy, and secretive about who they are and their purpose. They operate out of Nevada (finally discovered by reporters), but claim a Utah address so they can avoid the terrible "out of state" label. Their purpose is to operate a smear campaign. Even after some of their ads have been shown to be outright lies, they have continued to promote them.

When the election is over, I fully expect that Freedom Path will quietly slither away and disappear into the night.

No, Senator, I think "sleazy" applies to your super PAC much more than it applies to FreedomWorks.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 27, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Wait a minute Anti-Bush Obama you mean to tell me that Hatch is a socialist and a Nazi? Wow what a strange combination of traits! Perhaps next he will be KKK member?

Enough with the rhetoric. Divisive language is part of the downfall of the Republic.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2012 2:05 p.m.

Interesting side note;

Since Orrin Hatch cold not secure the GOP nomination at the Republican Caucus held last March with less than the required 60% vote….

And yet, goes on to win by over 68% in the actual Primary election
    Only goes to show that the Utah Caucus System does NOT work.

Even amongst Republicans.

• Apricot Tree Brigham City, UT
    June 27, 2012 3:15 p.m.

If Liljenquist would have won the primary, I would have voted for him in November. I hope that Dan supporters will rally behind Hatch, like Gingrich did for Romney. Ron Paul is hurting the Republican chance of getting Mitt Romeny into office. In the case of Ron Paul, with the primaries over, we've got to put pride aside, and vote for the greater good. I voted for Orrin Hatch, because I felt like he was the best choice. Both Hatch and Liljenquist would be able to help in D.C. and represent our economy and Utah jobs far better than Howell, but now it is Hatch's turn to represent the Republican party.

Congratulations to both Senator Hatch and Dan for a well-fought campaign. Politics is tough. I am grateful for the opportunity to listen, research, vote, work, and support, but I'm not quite ready to run for office!

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    June 27, 2012 3:37 p.m.

lots of nattering negativism on this thread

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    June 27, 2012 4:11 p.m.

@Arm of Orion
    "Wait a minute Anti-Bush Obama you mean to tell me that Hatch is a socialist and a Nazi? Wow what a strange combination of traits!"

Why is that such a strange combination?

On the political spectrum where 100% government is at one end and 0% at the other end, Socialists and Nazis are found next to each other on the end closest to total government.

Perhaps you were incorrectly taught that Nazism is at the right side of the spectrum which is incorrect as Nazism leans heavily towards total government. Any World War 2 survivor from Europe can verify that there was plenty of government under Hitler.

For an easy to understand clarification of this issue, google: "An Overview of America video" and watch the 29 minute presentation. Not only will you gain new knowledge about the political spectrum but also will learn why our Founding Fathers gave us a Republic and not a Democracy and why the difference is so important. Today, we have neither. What we have now is an Oligarchy.
    Also defined in the video.

Yes, "enough with rhetoric." Let us clearly define our terms so that we are not confused.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    June 27, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Too bad the tea party didn't put up a better candidate against this career politician. Term limits are long over due.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2012 4:41 p.m.

IdahoStranger
    NEWDALE, ID
    @Arm of Orion

===============

Glenn Beck University has taught you wrong.

Look it up.
    Fascism is extreme RIGHT-wing.

National Socialist was a misnomer used to win Union Support - unions favored Communism and that is how the Nazis duped them into supporting them.

How many times a week do we need to review REAL history for the mis-informed and ignorant of the facts?

Want more examples?
    Who promotes Live and Let Live [Liberals]
    and who seeks to ban this, that and the other? [ulttra-Conservatives]

Remember,
    Hitler cleaned-up the drugs, alcohol, prostitution, & pornography,
    Expanded the Military,
    Focused on Job creation and economic development,
    Did away with the nanny state,
    Built up Nationalism and German Patriotism,
    Invaded Romania and the Gulf States for their oil,
    And sent Homosexuals, Non-Christians, Immigrants, Communists and those who could not be productive to Concentration camps and gas chambers.

Now - is the Right-wing or Left-wing philosophies?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2012 4:50 p.m.

IdahoStranger
    NEWDALE, ID

==============

Oh my,
    a video from the John Birch Society.

It's even worse than I thought....

However, that just about expalins everything....

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    June 27, 2012 5:30 p.m.

Now if the GOP doesn't win control of the Senate...his big "I'll be chairman of the finance committee where I can do some real good" promise will be a moot point and Utahns will have fallen for it again.

• RagnarL4 Kaysville, UT
    June 27, 2012 6:58 p.m.

Dan Liljenquist,

Thank you for running! You were the best vote I've cast in my whole voting experience for any office. It is entirely too rare an experience that an honest man can be proud of his vote. Thank you for giving me the thrill of voting with pride.

All the best to you!

• DVD Taylorsville, 00
    June 27, 2012 7:58 p.m.

I'm reading with interest in seeing that 30% to 70% margin. But it looks like some of the 30% are demanding that the 70% be silent. Isn't that how dictatorships and oligarchies form? When the minority holds the majority silent and powerless? Where only one view is allowed to be expressed and all others are punished?

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    June 27, 2012 11:35 p.m.

I wonder if many Utah voters are more positive minded than people think and took offense at some of the tactics used against Hatch. I think the Retire Hatch signs were offensive. Certainly, they speak of wanting change in this position but they also speak not so well of older people suggesting that when one gets maybe 70ish, they don't have the goods to lead. I figure this was offensive to many, not just people of Hatch's age but perhaps to those approaching Hatch's age.

The other factor is, believe or not, many state employees ARE actually Republicans and of generally conservative ilk. However, Liljenquist's legislation attacked their pensions perhaps sending a negative message to many. Again, not all public employees are "union stooges who vote Democrat" like many tea partiers think. They are most often dedicated public servants who want to have jobs and want to serve the public and people.

Bottom line, this was a classic overreach by the tea party and classic negative and mean spirited campaign that backfired.

• UgottaloveMaxie Murray, UT
    June 27, 2012 11:53 p.m.

The people have spoken!! Thank goodness we can be done with Dan L. fanatics

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    June 28, 2012 5:31 a.m.

@ LDS Liberal
    "Look it up.
    Fascism is extreme RIGHT-wing."

Here is what I found when I looked it up: "Fascism - definition. A totalitarian philosophy of government that glorifies the state and nation and assigns to the state control over every aspect of national life."

The Nazism or Facism that you described sounds like an awful lot of government, which places it on the political spectrum near the 100% government end. For all of those people, German citizens and their victims, it ended up being way too much government. Which is exactly where we are at and headed farther towards even more. It won't work for us either.

Perhaps we could understand better if you would define Right Wing and Left Wing for us?
    Maybe you could draw the political spectrum for us as you understand it?

@ LDS Liberal
    "Oh my,
    a video from the John Birch Society.

It's even worse than I thought....

However, that just about expalins everything...."

And just how does that just about explain everything?

So you found the video - Did you watch it?

Are you here to exchange ideas and have a valid discussion?

Or just to assign undefined labels?

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 28, 2012 5:50 a.m.

Hooray for Utah. I'm glad we didn't succumb to the ridiculous rhetoric offered by those who claimed that Hatch was too old. Agism with a thin veneer of conservative idealism is still reprehensible and wrong. Hatch is a dedicated civil servant who will continue to do a great job for the state of Utah and our country. He's been through a lot, and will bring needed wisdom and experience to the bloviating extremes in the Senate.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    June 28, 2012 9:19 a.m.

There is talk about holding Hatch's feet to the fuirre and have him vote the way Utah wants him to vote. Has not happened in the past and Hatch qualifies as being an old dog if nothing else and you know how well they learn new tricks.

If I were to make $200K annually and then show up at the bank with not 10 times that amount but with 50 times that amount there would be eyebrows raised and questions asked. Hatch has over $10 million in his war chest.

Who gave him that money?

Why did they give it to him?

According to Hatch's office intersested voters gave him those donations yet it turns out over 85% came from corporations.

Those corporations do not give money away. They purchase the right to entitlements.

Sorry senator Hatch yo are no longer one of us

You are one of them.

• Mormonson Bountiful, UT
    June 29, 2012 9:27 a.m.

In the D&C the Lord himself says that He established our Constitution. It would be unfortunate to have to explain to the Lord why we gave away the thing He gave to us. I hope we all did our homework and have upheld the Constitution ourselves in our vote for whom to represent us. It would also be unfortunate to have to explain to Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and the other prophets how their prophecy, that the LDS people would save the Constitution once it hung by a thread, did not come true by any effort of mine.
    It would also be unfortunate when the eyes of the entire world are upon Mitt Romney, Utah and the LDS church as they are now, for the world to see that WE are not practicing what our scriptures and prophets teach regarding the sacred Constitution.
    It’s also unfortunate to do ones homework and see that currently the Constitution is disregarded and trampled by the large majority in both parties. Some people think the Constitution is dead as of now. I don't know but it's hard to argue that it's alive and well.