BYU football: Going to Notre Dame is more than a game, it's an 'experience'

Comments

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    June 24, 2012 11:15 p.m.

Although I haven't been to a game at Notre Dame Stadium, yet,

I still have my

"Heaven on Earth, BYU 21 Notre Dame 14"

t-shirt from the 1994 game.

I'm looking forward to renewing the BYU-Notre Dame series.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 24, 2012 11:37 p.m.

I though that I was cool for arranging my work schedule so I could attend the Utah game. My son trumped me with the announcement that he and his wife would be attending the Notre Dame game. Hopefully both resounding victories!

Go cougars!!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 25, 2012 5:52 a.m.

Went there with our team a few years ago. Must admit I am not a big Notre Dame fan, didn't want to like the place, etc... but I cam away with a world of respect for the place and its fans. The place just oozes tradition. If you get the change, go. Don't think about it..... just do it. For any sports fan, seeing a game there should be on your bucket list.

Still not a Notre Dame fan, but I have a new respect for the program and its history. And extremely nice fans.

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    June 25, 2012 6:20 a.m.

What a great introductory article. Couldn't help but think of the contrast of this college spirit with that of BYU-Utah games. I hope that the BYU-Notre Dane game comes to replace the former in-state series. May Cougar fans be as hospitable as those of South Bend.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    June 25, 2012 7:20 a.m.

Have attended two BYU games at ND- each was a remarkable experience- respectful fans- great ushers that had one purpose- make sure your game day experience was the best- have attended games in Provo for years but must admit I have never had a game day experience even remotely close to those at ND in Provo- we can learn much from them on how to put on a show and make it a wonderful experience for all fans no matter who you want to win- their band played the BYU fight song prior to the game- learned and played while we sang along- very cool

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 25, 2012 8:58 a.m.

Assuming both BYU and Notre Dame remain independent, I expect this series to continue beyond the 2020 season. I can see it becoming an annual event.

Assuming the proposed playoff system (Top 4 teams chosen by a selection committee) is ratified by the college presidents, I expect to see another wave of conference realignment.

I also see teams strengthening their non-conference games and eliminating the cupcakes, to increase their strength of schedule which will be heavily weighted by the selection committee. Whit may want to re-think his plans about leaving BYU in the dust to add another game against Cupcake U.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    June 25, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Aaah. Best friends forever. Please take care of us and takes us under your large, wealthy, influential wings as we need more friends right now. And please do it in November. Oh and please make it a home and home. And please make sure it doesn't interfere with important dates like the deer hunt, conference or EFY. . Oh and please make sure we are on NBC. We have a truck you know just in case NBC does not have one.

• ECR Burke, VA
    June 25, 2012 10:43 a.m.

I was also at the game in 2005. Sorry but I was rooting for the Irish. While raising my four sons I instilled in them a deep seeded hatred for Notre Dame - "What college team gets their own TV network? (NBC). Then my oldest son was given a fellowship to the ND graduate school where he earned his doctorate degree. I can't even calculate how much money that was worth but the experience he had attending school there, and our experience in visiting him and his family - and going to a couple of football games - has turned me 180 degrees. Now I'm a huge fan. I'm also a BYU fan, especially in the Lavell Edwards era, but I'll probably be rooting for the Irish in this years's game.

Either way, it should be a great rivalry over the next few seasons. Good luck to both teams.

And by the way, all the friendliness and tradition that everyone in this article mnentioned are totally accurate.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 25, 2012 10:50 a.m.

It sounds like all of us in the state of Utah could learn from Notre Dame fans. They have tough rivalry games almost every week and still manage to keep the focus on football and good sportsmanship. Maybe one day we'll be able to have games against each other in this state and still be able to congratulate each other on a good contest. I'm sure Notre Dame fans aren't perfect but they certainly are light years ahead of all of us.

• Big 12 Bob Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2012 11:13 a.m.

CouginTX, yours is certainly a unique theory. Teams move to independence (BYU) when they can do better than being in a conference (MWC). I don't know the numbers for SDSU, but I cannot imagine that they could pull down more dollars going independent than skimming off the Big East.

Is your theory that there would suddenly be a bunch of independent teams because they got booted from a conference, or because they find independence profitable?

The Big 12 is quite happy with 10 members, so you are correct if you said they won't expand. But I have a hard time seeing the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and others kicking out members. Your theory ignores existing conference and television contracts. Booting members risks litigation and voided contracts, all of which reduce the pot of gold.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    June 25, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Knutson says that the Y and Notre Dame have a lot in common in the article. The only thing both teams have in common is that they are both religious schools, and they are both independent. That is where the comparisons end. BYU has much more in common these days with Arma and Navy. Both of those teams would give BYU a home and home. Notre Dame, Texas, etc will not. Hopefully the Y can make a game out of it. I dont think that Riley will be the starting QB at that point of the season. He will get dinged up before then, and if he is still in the game without an injury, he is mentally tough, a gamer, and a great guy, but not a great QB against good teams. I guess we will see though. That is why we play the game.

• Pedro Sanchez Magna, UT
    June 25, 2012 11:49 a.m.

In the spirit of great fans, I just want to say that I love you cougar fans. May your team have a great season. Now, I would like to ask you what you have against kids who come from trailer parks? Isn't that the American dream? To rise up from humble beginnings and get a college education? What do you have against beer? I drink only good quality beers. I have never poured a beer on an opposing fan who didn't deserve it.

Have a great football season!

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 25, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Title: Going to Notre Dame is more than a game, it's an experience.

How many schools say that about BYU?

None.

BYU Notre Dame of the West? I don't think so.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    June 25, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Y Dad / Y Grad

A lot of time and energy to go watch two "Y" losses.

I wonder if Notre Dame can beat a 44 point spread.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 25, 2012 12:22 p.m.

Y Grad Pumping Gas

Ah, but hope springs eternal. Keep pumping that gas, do it well enough and maybe someday you'll have hope too.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    June 25, 2012 12:55 p.m.

CougFaninTX said:

".....If both BYU and ND do well, this could open the doors for some other teams to turn independent. Navy will bow out of their commitment to the Big East before they ever play a game, just like TCU did. Boise and SDSU could do the same. The Big East offers them nothing without AQ status.

The playoff system will incent conferences towards smaller conferences, not super conferences. I expect to see a move back towards 8 and 10 team conferences, so the "pot of gold" is spread among fewer teams."

Geez. Here we go again with playing follow the leader. Teams are not going to join the independent bandwagon. Besides why would BYU want other schools competing for its WAC teams? Gotta keep hat WAC legacy going! More independent teams would mean BYU would be forced to schedule D-2 teams to fill out their schedule. Do you want that? Hey! Anything for a 10 win season and a top 23-25 finish in the polls right?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 25, 2012 1:14 p.m.

"If both BYU and ND do well, this could open the doors for some other teams to turn independent'
    cOUGFANTX,

Here you go again with the bYu and ND "brotherhood". ND has no interest in bYu doing well as an independent....infact they would like nothing more then bYu joining a conference. Again, Y would ND be excited to have others follow their monopoly on independence? For what ever reason you think ND is your friend....they are not.

Infact, ND is a bit upset on how bYu represented themselves toward the Big East. They really would like bYu to join the Bigeast as a standard football member and leave them to what they do best.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    June 25, 2012 1:18 p.m.

Loved my experience at ND in '05. The fans were classy and friendly. I'm very much looking forward to Oct. 20th and yes, I will be there. I hope this matchup becomes yearly and replaces the rivalry Utah doesn't want to keep.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:38 p.m.

3grandslams- I hope it becomes an annual rivalry too. That would be too funny to see the y playing an annual "rivalry game" in a long term two-for-one series with ND.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 25, 2012 2:44 p.m.

So much respect for ND. I love these ND articles. Educational. I'd rather play a classy school and let Utah drop us cuz BYU is too tough of a school to play non-conference to play a school who challenges themselves and plays hard teams week after week, just like BYU will start doing after this WAC contract ends this year. Sounds like if there is one place to attend a football game, it's Notre Dame. Catholics vs. Mormons for years to come. Looking forward to it!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    June 25, 2012 3:21 p.m.

There is nothing more amusing than the Ute fans who are so insecure and have for so long lived in BYU's shadow, that they can't get BYU out of their heads.

They feel a constant need to put down every positive aspect of BYU's program, because they will never have what BYU has. A National Brand and Legacy.

Guess what Uties...BYU is alive and well, so U will have to actually accomplish what BYU has over decades, in order to match their Name.

Until then, they are the Team in this Market and trump U in National Appeal.

To PapaSmurfUte

Notre Dame has nothing in common with BYU?
    Other than Faith and Independence?

BYU, like Notre Dame has......

1-A National Championship
    2-A Heisman Trophy Winner
    3-Outland Trophy winners
    4-Super Bowl and NFL MVP's, counted among their Alumni.
    5-Both are are Tier One Universities (Academically)....(Unlike Utah)
    6-Both have the ability to live on their Own Name and Brand.
    7-Both have Major Network TV deals.
    7-Both have College Hall of Famers...(Unlike Utah)

BYU is not Notre Dame and Utah will never match BYU in Legacy/Brand.

• Charles Knutson Salem, UT
    June 25, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Papa Smurf UTE: By way of clarification, when I told Jeff that "They're a lot like BYU," I was talking about the universities, not the football programs. I think that's pretty clear in the context of the quote. I spent a week on the Notre Dame campus for an academic conference two years ago, and had a chance to spend time with faculty and administrators. I felt a kindred sense in what they were trying to do academically, and the positive influence of the university's religious affiliation. From the perspective of football, nobody can touch Notre Dame's tradition and history. It's a stunningly beautiful campus, and I am indeed stoked to go to the game. I'll be wearing BYU blue and cheering for the cougars, but look forward to the experience independent of the outcome. (@cdknutson)

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    June 25, 2012 3:36 p.m.

@ Bluto

"BYU is not Notre Dame and Utah will never match BYU in Legacy/Brand".

What Legacy/Brand does BYU have?

I guess the college football world and major conferences must have missed it or they would be drooling all over BYU to join their conference like they do over Notre Dame.

Dream on Bluto! The only "Legacy" BYU has is a WAC "Legacy" and nothing more. The only "Brand" BYU has is the LDS Church and nothing more.

BYU = Mid-major forever!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 25, 2012 4:05 p.m.

@hedgehog
    "Here you go again with the bYu and ND "brotherhood"

Here you go again . . . there was absolutely no insinuation in my comment of any brotherhood. My only insinuation was that the new playoff system keeps independent status as a viable option. If U don't think schools like USC and Texas are looking at the tradeoffs of conference vs independent, you don't know what drives them. They are thinking, if BYU can make it as and independent, we can command 5X what BYU is making and they'd be right. USC carries the PAC12 in football and Texas / Oklahoma carry the Big12. Texas has given plenty of clues that they don't like carrying Iowa State, Kansas and Baylor and are setting themselves up for the future.

• Big 12 Bob Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2012 4:46 p.m.

CougFaninTX, USC and Texas are not going to become independents. There was talk of Texas going independent when the Big 12 was in trouble. But no more. Texas now gets over $20 million a year in TV revenue as part of the Big 12 package. You're suggesting that "because of a 4 team playoff", Texas would walk away from $20 million dollars and try to do their own deal.

Could they match or do better than $20 million as an independent? Maybe. But look at the horrible horrible cost. Instead of playing team like Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Baylor, Texas would have to follow the BYU model. They would have to schedule teams like New Mexico State and Arkansas State. BYU fans may "forgive" that kind of a schedule because they know that his what the Church wants. Texas isn't run by a church. It's fans would go nuts if Texas showed up with a BYU-like independent schedule.

Your dream that "all the good teams" -- Texas, USC, Alabama, Ohio State -- are going to go independent and schedule each other and Notre Dame and BYU isn't going to happen.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2012 5:36 p.m.

"Texas looking at the tradeoffs of conference vs independent"
    Texas' television rights are owned by the Big 12 Conference for 6 years. They're not going anywhere.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    June 25, 2012 5:54 p.m.

PapaSmurf

"The only thing both teams [BYU and Notre Dame] have in common is that they are both religious schools, and they are both independent."

If you try just a little harder, you might be able to come up with a few more things; just to make it fun, we'll throw Utah into the mix.

Which one of these is not like the others?

National Championships

BYU yes
    Utah no

Major Network Television Contract
    ND yes
    BYU yes
    Utah no

Multi-decade legacy of football excellence
    ND yes
    BYU yes
    Utah no

BYU may be Notre Dame lite, but at least BYU is in the conversation.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    June 25, 2012 8:53 p.m.

skywalker
    Palo Alto, CA
    PapaSmurf

Which one of these is not like the others?

______________

Ah yes. BYU fans are fond of dipping into the WAC legacy time machine.
    Well I tried a little harder, and I came up with some things. And just for fun I threw San Jose St. into the mix.

BYUs record vs Utah
    31-52-4

BYUs record vs Notre Dame
    2-4

BYUs record vs San Jose St.
    6-9

Which one of these is not like the others?
    I know, its a trick question. Anyone can see that BYU has a losing record against all three teams. Even against a WAC team.

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    June 25, 2012 9:23 p.m.

I hope BYU football continues to fail so we can have a chance for competent leadership.

Really hate losing to ND & Utah, but only continuing failure will result in change, unfortunately.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    June 25, 2012 9:27 p.m.

Great article. One added bit of advice would be to get there very early, parking is difficult.
    Stadium is not as nice as expected.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    June 25, 2012 10:15 p.m.

WACPaddingOurSchedule

LOL!!!

No wonder BYU is scheduling WAC teams. Have some catching up to do even if its on the road!

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    June 25, 2012 11:01 p.m.

WACy

Utah's record vs Notre Dame 0-1

Utah's record vs BYU in the last half century 21-29

Utah's record vs Salt Lake City YMCA 1-6

Utah's record vs Washington 0-7

Congratulations, U have one more win over the YMCA than you do the Huskies.

NOBODY cares about your leather helmet era "glory" days in conferences NOBODY has ever heard of.

Which one of these is not like the others?

The team that took over a HUNDRED years to crack the AP Top 25!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 25, 2012 11:23 p.m.

WAC no show

"Ah yes. BYU fans are fond of dipping into the WAC legacy time machine."

The only reason Utah fans don't bother dipping into their "WAC legacy" is because it doesn't exist:

WAC era
    BYU 288-147-4 (66%), 19 conference championships, 1 national championship, 12 AP Top 25 finishes
    Utah 200-208-4 (49%), 2 conference championships, 0 national championships, 1 AP Top 25 finish

head-to-head
    BYU 24
    Utah 13

You think a 54-10 win is domination?

Try 27-0, 56-6, 56-28, 17-12, and 55-7 back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back, the games leading up to BYU's National Championship season.

Even during Utah's heyday of 2003 to 2008, the Utes never even came close to that kind of domination.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    June 25, 2012 11:35 p.m.

mussing around and Snack PAC are yet more examples of fellow BYU fans that can't accept the truth.
    We have a losing record against Utah.

And also a losing record against San Jose St.

Nobody cares about our WAC legacy.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 26, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Skywalker,
    Why was your post so accurate that it brought out all the little Darth Vaders to attack? They brought their military weapons not related to the article in order to fire back. I think your point has been proven to be accurate. Nice work!

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    June 27, 2012 9:12 p.m.

Another in a series of "we're not in their league" articles.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 28, 2012 2:56 p.m.

CougFaninTX:

"I expect this series to continue beyond the 2020 season. I can see it becoming an annual event."

Don't you mean you could see it becoming an annual 2-for-1 event? Afterall, you ARE WAC-ish and mid-majorey. ND doesn't do Home-&-Homes with programs down there at YOUR current level.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 28, 2012 3:13 p.m.

BYUfaninWashSt:

"I hope our economy continues to fail so we can have a chance for competent leadership."

What? If leadership WOULD change, then what would happen? The economy would improve? Why don't you just hope our economy improves REGARDLESS of the leadership? It doesn't make any sense to hope we fail so we can turn around and succeed. You sound very partisan.

• bandersonfam ,
    July 8, 2012 7:38 p.m.

I was also at the 2005 game. We lucked out and were given four tickets ---- right in the middle of the senior citizen season ticket ND section. The ND fans were very nice.

In fact the BYU team was ahead during much of the first half and at halftime. We had a great time winning the first half. I turned to the lady next to me who had been very conversational and said that if I was correct at that very moment there were 11 white players for BYU and 11 black players for ND. She said absolutely nothing. I figured that must be a sore subject so I said no more on the subject.

We thought it was cool that during the game they announced several times there would be a mass right after the game. I convinced my companions to join me in filing in and out of the cathedral for a peek after the game.

For marching band people I recommend going early to hear the ND band play a pep rally type concert at a building across campus then lead a Pied Piper like march to the stadium followed by a few thousand fans.