Opinion

Letter: Sen. Orrin Hatch and his clout

Comments

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:44 a.m.

Great letter. I agree. Orrin Hatch says that he's running (again) so he can be Finance Committee chairman. Sorry, but I'd much rather have Sen. Mike Crapo from Idaho in that position. He's more conservative than Hatch (and unlike Hatch, Crapo didn't vote for TARP).

Some Hatch supporters are quick to point out that Crapo has "endorsed" Hatch. However, it's only a professional courtesy to a Senate colleague and means nothing. Crapo will work just fine with Mitt Romney.

Dan Liljenquist will also work just fine with Mitt Romney. And unlike Hatch, Liljenquist has real-world financial experience turning around failing institutions. Also, unlike Hatch, Liljenquist has no Washington political baggage or favors that need re-paying.

Hatch has misused his "clout" to heap more debt on our children and grandchildren. That's not what we need in Washington. It's time to replace Hatch with Dan Liljenquist.

• Clinton Draper, UT
    June 22, 2012 2:16 a.m.

I couldn't agree with you more! Orrin Hatch's entire campaign has been about what Utah can do for him rather than what he can do for Utah. We've been given an amazing opportunity to rid ourselves of one of the self-serving Federal cogs that has gotten our country into the mess it is in on June 26th. I hope enough people in Utah will pull off the blinders and vote to retire Hatch.

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    June 22, 2012 8:18 a.m.

Utahns, the opportunity to set Utah on a new course arrives next Tuesday. It's time to send a power-hungry, self-important politician packing, and replace him with a candidate who will actually LISTEN to his constituents! A US Senator needs to occasionally report to his home state and voters. Something, Hatch has been unwilling to do.

My vote goes to a belief that we in Utah can do better. I'm voting for DAN because he is the better choice. His reputation in the state legislature is unsurpassed. Dan has accomplished GREAT things for a man of his age. Teddy Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy both entered the Presidency while in their early 40s. Kennedy was elected to the US Senate at age 35. Dan is in the "prime" of life and with his vigor and energy will serve the needs of the voters of Utah well.

It's time to decide whether to march in time with the status quo, or step bravely into the future. Please join me in voting next Tuesday, June 26th for Dan Liljenquist for the US Senate.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 22, 2012 8:42 a.m.

We need to replace him -- with Scott Howell.

• Binder Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Hatch should have stepped down a long time ago like Jake Garn did, with his principles intact. On June 26 we have the opportunity to vote that Hatch step down. Let's not blow it this time. A vote for Hatch is a vote for politics as usual in Washington.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:32 a.m.

I can't wait to see what repubs who are so anti-Hatch on this board will do and say once Hatch wins the repub nomination.

Will they eat their own words and vote for Hatch? Or will they finally cross the party lines and vote Democrat?

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:58 a.m.

Sen. Hatch believes he's FULLY ENTITLED to stay in the Senate as long as he wants. As long as he spends enough of his lobbyist buddies' money on incessant ads in his attempt to confuse the issues; he's got it made!

EXACTLY WHAT does Sen. Hatch do for Utah that no one else could do? (Please don't say 'save HAFB'!)

WHY NOT try Liljenquist?

• DavidMiller Bountiful, UT
    June 22, 2012 12:54 p.m.

As a solid Republican I have not voted for Hatch since 2000 and I won't be voting for him this year even if he wins the primary. If Hatch wins the primary the only question will be whether I feel Scott Howell deserves my vote. If the answer is "no" then my vote will go elsewhere.

• swede1952 Smithfield, UT
    June 22, 2012 3:03 p.m.

David Miller, you summed it up well. If Hatch should win the primary,(heaven forbid), I and many other Republicans will be examining the qualifications of Scott Howell in depth. Collectively, we are just plain tired of Orrin. He has to go! That's the plain truth!

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    June 22, 2012 3:33 p.m.

I voted today, not for Hatch. Next I expect to hear him break out in song with "give me 5 minutes more only 5 minutes more, la la la la la la". Enough is enough. Retire Hatch.....oh and for sure retire BO!

• Apricot Tree Brigham City, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:48 p.m.

I'm excited for the Liljenquist cheerleading to be over, and get Hatch back to the Senate field - working hard as usual.