U.S. & World

'A woman who. ...': Mitt Romney's stories court females

Comments

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    May 22, 2012 2:58 p.m.

If he wants to be believed, he will need to prove who these women are.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    May 22, 2012 3:05 p.m.

He has shown us his awkwardness and discomfort with sincerity......
    Yes, Mitt Romney looks, talks, and walks exactly like those who we have enjoyed on Hollywood's big screen. After all, he is vying for the part many human beings see as the most important individual on the planet.

• neptronix Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Politicians in the two parties will say whatever they need to in order to get elected.

It's like watching professional wrestling, it's all a fake, and you know what the guy really stands for *after* you elect him..

Vote 3rd party.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 22, 2012 4:07 p.m.

Vote Ron Paul. Romney's a joke.

• RandomTraveler Livermore, CA
    May 22, 2012 4:28 p.m.

For many years I have looked at candidates before an election and they only things I looked at were the qualifications for the job - the resume - and I always vote for who can best do the job. Party has had nothing to do with it. That is what needs to be looked at in this and every other election. Too many of you are jaded by politics and need to focus on who can best do the job. The current incumbent has shown he is not capable of doing the job as president and in fact his agenda is to destroy this country from within. Being a community organizer left the current president poorly equipped to handle the job. Four more years of his administration will wreck this country.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    May 22, 2012 4:32 p.m.

I'm an educated, single woman with a professional career. Mitt Romney wouldn't even be able to begin to understand women in my situation. There is no way he would ever get my vote. And I'm a member of the same church he belongs to -- so this has nothing to do with mormon bashing.

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    May 22, 2012 5:01 p.m.

And the women in general thinks that BO cares for them? BO cares for certain people but not the people in general and certainly not the country as a whole.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 22, 2012 5:03 p.m.

@Kami,

No, no he wouldn't have a clue what life is like for you. And that's without the long-standing notion that LDS women should be housewives and men should be bread makers.

Hinckley - "Women have their place" ... ``When all is said and done, there's no substitute for having a woman in the home. . . . If you ask our women, you'll find them happy with what they have."

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2012 5:06 p.m.

@RandomTraveler
    "The current incumbent has shown he is not capable of doing the job as president and in fact his agenda is to destroy this country from within."

I took you seriously until you suggested that the president wants to destroy this nation. Goodness, I'm very liberal but I don't think Republicans want to destroy this country. I think their policies mostly stink but to think they actually want to destroy this country is ridiculous. Nobody wants to destroy America, particularly not politicians who I thought only cared about being re-elected (destroying America is not exactly a good way to win re-election). Besides, he's doing a lousy job of destroying it since we've gained private-sector jobs something like 26+ consecutive months.

• my two cents worth Ridgefield, WA
    May 22, 2012 5:06 p.m.

@RandomTraveler

You say that Obama's "agenda is to destroy this country from within." Now just why would he do that? What benefit is that for him or his family? Your statement makes no sense. And just where did you hear that?

You have the right to disagree with his policies, plans and actions but telling us that he has an agenda to destroy our country goes beyond the pale in plausibility!

• atlcoug Atlanta, GA
    May 22, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Those of you who say vote Ron Paul, vote 3rd party, are wasting your votes. Whatever point you want to make will be lost. You have no chance to win, so why not use the vote to choose between the two who could win. Some day there may be a strong third party to consider, but today you just take away a potential winning vote from whichever candidate you feel is more closely aligned to the platform you would like to see enacted.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 22, 2012 5:16 p.m.

This is a big hurdle Mitt will have to overcome, or at least make a dent in, if he wants to win in November. Latest NBC/Wall Street Journal showed about the same gender split for Obama.

I've heard this comparison from a few different women, and it says a lot about Mitt. They see him as the "country club" man. The country club who excludes women, where men go to joke about women, and where the men pretend to understand women by telling them what they are allowed to understand.

That might be as far from the truth as you can get for the way Romney really is, but his words meant to appease the right-wing base fit pretty well with that comparison.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    May 22, 2012 5:59 p.m.

Kami, I'm sincerely curious what makes you think Romney could never understand you? What would one have to do to understand you and your situation?

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    May 22, 2012 6:15 p.m.

LValfre
    CHICAGO, IL
    @Kami,

Haha LValfre .. great quote ... "our women" oh I love that one. Try asking one of "our woman" who has found herself divorced with no job skills how happy she is with what she has! That HUGE issue just isn't talked about ...

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 22, 2012 6:16 p.m.

+1 staypuffinpc

• Ethel Home Town USA, UT
    May 22, 2012 6:30 p.m.

How can anyone not see the truth in what is going on in the economy to say it is not being destroyed from within? The Trillions of debt is a good place to look. The borrowing of money from foreign countries is another example and the debt is passed down to our grandchildren. It is no way to prosperity either. If you take out a loan, that doesn't make you any better off, the debt has to be paid back. That is NOT prosperity.

The interest alone is another way to destroy future prosperity on the money borrowed from foreign countries. The in essence own us. Turning down the pipeline project is another reason, for oil to the U.S. from Canada nixed millions of jobs that could be from that project alone. The Environmentalist hold a financial piece to get donations to the incumbment's campaign.

This country could very well be on its way to prosperity and enjoying a turn around with someone in the White House that knows how to generate jobs and uphold the Constitution. A law degree and an MBA is a plus in my book for a Presidential candidate.

When is enough enough?

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    May 22, 2012 6:34 p.m.

To Kami 4:32 p.m.

Beautifully put, and very close to how I feel. I will borrow your words, with one change, to state my feelings:

I'm an educated, married woman with a professional career. Mitt Romney wouldn't even be able to begin to understand women in my situation. There is no way he would ever get my vote. And I'm a member of the same church he belongs to -- so this has nothing to do with mormon bashing.

There is so much in my life tht backs up that position. Examples -- The Elders Quorum President asking my husband how he could "let" me go to law school (after Heavenly Father told us to do that). The Counsellor in the Stake Presidency, at a recommend interview, asking me who was the temporal head of our family and not understanding when I said that our family was headed by a partnership made up of my husband and me. Further, that if we didn't agree on an issue, we found a way to compromise instead of my husband just deciding. There are more.

I was lucky. Mitt wouldn't understand any of that that.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 22, 2012 7:21 p.m.

Furry, sometimes if we are looking for issues, at church, we shall find them.
    It's all in the outlook.
    Perhaps, your living in the wring state.
    I couldn't live there either.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    May 22, 2012 7:24 p.m.

RE: Furry1993

Why wouldn't he be able to understand?

What makes you so speciallly different or difficult to understand?

It is painnfully obvious you are an extreme leftest and rigid leftest ideologue who would not vote for him anyways.

Obama certaily doesn't listen or care about anybody.

High energy prices, High gas prices leading to high price for everything else. Obama does not care how that effects the poor or middle class,

he certainly doesn't care about this country or the constitution or the rich.

He seems to only to care about inflicting his own views of how this country should be governed, and they are radically leftest views at that.

I believe Romney actually cares about this country, and the women therein.

Whatever you allow the federal government their fingers or noses into, they ultimately totally and tyrannically control, that is what government does.

Do you want the government at the table involved in every decision you personally make as a women including healthcare, diet etc?

Or do you want federal government out of the way so you can make your own choices, without limit, mandate, or regulation?

Who's creating a bigger overreaching governmemt?

• peter Alpine, UT
    May 22, 2012 7:27 p.m.

If anyone ran their household or business like Washington runs this country, he/she would be set for life--in prison. Obama and many other politicians in D.C. don't understand the principles of a free market or a free nation, or the honesty it takes to win the trust of good, hard working people. Most currently serving in Congress and the White House need to go. Unfortunately, there aren't great choices to replace current politicians with, but they are still better choices than what's occupying the sewer district now.

• DVD Taylorsville, 00
    May 22, 2012 7:58 p.m.

Mitt Romney's person experience aside, he's also got a hurdle coming from the Republican primary's damage. Those debates, the positions taken, could make someone feel almost like the clock on the value of a woman as a human being was going to be taken back two centuries if one of the other runners for the Republican nominee was elected. Mitt Romney didn't have me feeling that, but there's some image repair needed for the Republican party if they want more votes from women.

• atlcoug Atlanta, GA
    May 22, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Yes, I am a man, but what I have read of Mitt Romney, he would be a lot more understanding of women than you give him credit for. I have read nothing that suggests that Romney is anything like the Stake Counselor or Elder's Quorum President examples that were cited. Why do you lump all Mormon men together? Some of us do "get it". And, tell me why you think that President Obama is so much more understanding?

• not here COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    May 22, 2012 8:24 p.m.

@ Ethal:

I would like to ask you how you came up with the million jobs that the pipe line project was suppose to bring? And yes the country might be on it's way to prosperity if the party of no would quit fighting the president. I have to diagree with you on the part of your post so far the one your talking about has showed the public nothing in the way he plans on turning any thing around. And all so he has no proof that the 100,000 job he created while at Bains or he just don't remember so how do's a law degree or a MBA going to help when he can't remember the little things? Oh and seeing how you brought it up i guess you know that the pipe line you talk about is still three years out and will not lower the price of gas?

• KnitWitt Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2012 9:30 p.m.

I am the one who does the knitting in our family. But I am also a full partner in our family business and very much involved in the decision making as well as doing my share of the work.

I am not in the least concerned whether or not my President understands me, I don't even care if he likes me. What I want is a President who can get this country out of debt and one who believes in the free enterprise system that has made America great.

As a small businesswoman with more than 40 years of experience, I can truthfully say that our years under the governance of President Obama are the worst years we have ever endured.

After seeing the success of Mr. Romney in solving the financial problems of the Utah Winter Olympics, and his other successes in business, I have decided that he will get my vote and I don't give a hoot if he understands me or not. Mr. Obama seems to believe that what this country needs is more taxes and more government. I would rather have a President who believes in less government and more freedom.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 22, 2012 9:31 p.m.

I have listened to this debate about what women want from the President and so far I have learned that liberal women want free birth control pills, which I am told can be purchased at any drug store for a miniscule $15.00/month! Wow, if that is true liberal women will sell their souls very cheaply don’t you think? What I hear conservative women want are the same things that conservative men want: jobs and a future for their children. They are worried about our exploding national debt and the lingering bad economy, the value of their home decreasing by double digits and high energy and food prices! There seems to be vast differences between liberal women and conservative women!

• Wendall Hoop Murray, UT
    May 22, 2012 10:23 p.m.

This is a stupid article

• JP Skillet Murray, UT
    May 22, 2012 10:24 p.m.

I will tell you Mitt doesn't make this stuff up. He is probably using these stories to be strategic and appeal to women but he is telling the truth I can promise that.

• Are You for Real? Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2012 10:47 p.m.

This article insinuates that there is something sinister in Romney speaking about the woman who this or who's husband that. They demand the names of these women so that they can then intimidate these poor women or dig up some indiscretion from 70 years ago when they were in pre-school to discredit them. My guess is that he is protecting these women from the harassment that would surely ensue if Mitt were to give a name. Once again, we have an issue that is a tempest in a teapot which tries to move the conversation away from the fact that less Americans are working now than when President Obama took office, home values are plummeting, the cost of living is going up while salaries are going down, and an ever-increasing federal government creates more and more regulation that cripples the very businesses that if allowed to operate in a free market would cause our economy to come roaring back.

• screenname Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Furry,

You've used those examples before, and every time you do, I have to wonder why you're looking to be offended. Of course your husband would have to allow you to go back to law school--it's a huge investment of money, time, and effort, which will affect him at least as much as it will affect you. Similarly, my wife had to "let" me sit for the CPA exams (another big investment that would affect her and our family), and I would seek her permission before I decided to pursue a PhD. At the very worst, the man was guilty of choosing the wrong way of phrasing his thoughts, and only that if you're looking for offense.

Your Stake counsellor might very well be a chauvanist pig. Neither of us will ever know that. But for you to decide that Mitt would never understand you because a handful of men you know have said something you found offensive is as bigoted as you make LDS men out to be. Considering how much emphasis our church puts on women becoming educated, I find your point of view biased and inaccurate.

• Jac0m Provo, UT
    May 23, 2012 10:37 a.m.

@ Kami and Furry

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

Yeah, one thing I had to learn the hard way is that everybody has their problems and situations that no one can understand or even knows about. I used to think that my neighborhood was all sunshine and giggles growing up. How naive of me to assume that. EVERYBODY goes through something hard or life changing. I learned that most problems are kept under wraps and people get through them.

It is so selfish to presume that any candidate deserves your vote based on their understanding of what you personally go through or have experienced. That is an attention plea! "Wo is me, I've been through hard times, he doesn't or would never understand me so he can never help me."

He cannot nor will not ever understand what your situation is. Expecting him to or any presidential candidate is naive.

Keep doing what your doing! Being successful at law or raising your family. Whatever you have chosen that is best for you is probably the best for you, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But expecting a candidate know your personal situation to get your vote is just plain ignorant.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    May 24, 2012 7:37 a.m.

Mitt Romney's a fake. If you want real choices, wait until 2016 when there are no incumbents.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 24, 2012 7:47 a.m.

@junkgeek - yeah, like how Romney faked making the Olympics a success, and how he faked turning Massachusetts from an indebted state into one with a surplus, and how his private equity firm saved nearly 80% of their clients from going under, and how he faked graduating with honors with law and business degrees from Harvard at the same time.

He'd probably just do the same thing as President and fake save our national economy. Who needs that?

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2012 11:35 a.m.

Regan really WAS an actor on a Hollywood set. How could he, as a big movie star, relate to the American public? I have no idea, but he's still one of our most beloved presidents.

The point I'm going for is you don't always HAVE to walk in someones shoes to get them.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    May 25, 2012 9:10 a.m.

So let me see if I understand this. If he does not identify these women, if he does not invade their privacy... they do not exist, their situations do not exist.

I find it really hard to believe that every woman in America is perfectly happy the way things are now, and if Mitt Romney is elected, they will all have to quit their jobs and stay home because that's what he believes in. Give me a break.

Grasping at straws maybe?