U.S. & World

Mitt Romney releases first general election TV ad

Comments

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    May 18, 2012 6:58 a.m.

In other words, Romney wants to go back to the policies that put the economy in the toilet in the first place, and reverse the gains that have come through President Obama's clean-up of Bush's mess. He wants to give another dose of welfare-for-the-haves-and-have-mores to the detroment of everyone else. No, thanks.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 18, 2012 7:31 a.m.

Working men and women in American, both union and non-union, wanted the Keystone XL oil pipeline project. It would provide jobs for Americans who are currently unemployed and want to get off of welfare. Currently Canada plans to sell their oil to China.

I suppose that if I was on welfare I would probably be against reducing the working man's taxes. "Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else."

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 18, 2012 7:45 a.m.

The policies that put us in the toilet in the first place started with the federal government meddling in the housing market “giving” everyone a home to live in even though they had no job, no income, no assets and credit that never had any intention of servicing their loans via Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. With trillions of “free” money available, everyone got a home which caused an explosion in housing demand and prices went through the roof! At least until few if any actually paid their subprime loans and that left banks with trillions in toxic loans and the housing market crashed taking banks owning worthless paper and our economy with it! Bush, then Obama bailout out the banks with borrowed money and well, we see the results today! Free money, easy credit and massive debt are still the problems today and Obama has only made things worse!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 18, 2012 7:48 a.m.

I work as office manager of my wife's small private medical practice. Yesterday I received the following from our Representative Aaron Schock:

"In 2012, the Civic Federation, based in Chicago, warned that Illinois will face a $38.4 billion backlog of unpaid bills if no action is taken to reform Medicaid. Using the Department of Healthcare and Family Services' own projections, Medicaid will increase by more than 40% over the next five years - from $8.6 billion to $12.1 billion. These are unmanageable figures for a state budget already in trouble."

These numbers relate only to Medicaid. Illinois also pays into insurance funds for its employees. We have several outstanding bills for Illinois employees or their dependents. The insurance companies don't pay the claim until the state deposits funds for it. The worst is the one we sent the claim in August 2011. Talked to the insurance rep yesterday. He indicated that they are now paying for claims in July 2011. It will likely be another couple months before we receive payment ($1400) for our August claim.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 18, 2012 7:57 a.m.

So, my point is, Illinois already can't meet its financial obligations -- even after raising personal income taxes from 3% to 5%. Obamacare requires the state to insure an additional 300,000 individuals. It is a pointless exercise in futility. Either the state will cut reimbursement rates -- already so low that almost no physicians accept Medicare insured individuals -- or they will fall even farther behind on their payouts or both.

How can any thinking person consider this an acceptable, reasonable situation?

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    May 18, 2012 7:58 a.m.

Translation: Keep America addicted to oil and take away people's healthcare.

Day two: Teach Americans how to bet against America and invest in the Caymen Islands to avoid paying taxes.

Day three: Buy another Cadillac for the wife, now that Obama's "bailout" has saved GM.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 18, 2012 8:00 a.m.

Excuse me, I meant Medicaid insured individuals -- not Medicare.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 18, 2012 8:38 a.m.

Re: Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    "Translation: Keep America addicted to oil and take away people's healthcare."

California is a classic example of the liberal mentality: In Jan. Gov. Jerry Brown projected a budget deficit of $9 billion for the year. Four short months later he has revised the projection upward to $16 billion dollars.

A billion here and a billion there and pretty soon you're talking real money. Gov. Brown's solution? Raise taxes ..... and spend more money.

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    May 18, 2012 8:43 a.m.

To Mounta(i)nman - The US government did not "give" away houses in any respect. The US government did what it has been doing for decades by providing incentives for home ownership. Home ownership is good for local, state, and federal economies. It was private lending institutions that destroyed the housing industry. They saw a way to make profit off a market by giving out bad loans (their own reports indicate the banks knew the loans were bad), rebundling them as different mortgage-backed securities, deceiving rating agencies to give these securities a high rating, then selling them wildly on the market. Indeed, the U.S. Senate's Levin–Coburn Report showed the crisis was the result of "high risk, complex financial products; undisclosed conflicts of interest; the failure of regulators, the credit rating agencies, and the market itself to rein in the excesses of Wall Street." The only mistake made by the US government was to not regulate the banks more thoroughly.

It was astonishing what they did and they're at it again. See JPMorgan's current losses - they are betting on Europe's future in a market that has no clearinghouse, no transparency.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    May 18, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Romney will give tax cuts and incentives to job producers; i.e., big business, while the middle class and poor will not get those same tax cuts. Bush tried this; it didn't work. However, I want Romney to win; not necessarily because I am for him, but because I want to see him do all the things he says he can do. And if he cannot, I want to see those the blast our current president blast Romney with the same fervor.

As for the pipeline, if it gets approves, we will see just how many jobs it produces. We will also see who benefits from the proceeds of said pipeline: The American people, or big oil. Remember, oil is sold on the market as a commodity, so don't expect this pipeline to reduce prices at the pump!

• Jac0m Provo, UT
    May 18, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Obamacare hurts NOT helps middle class. I won't even have to tell you where, but being a grad-student (assuming I am middle-class) at a private university I HAD the option of teaching 6 credits or 9 credits in a semester. You are paid by the credits you teach. The more you teach, the more money you get. Sound enough, work X amount of time/work get paid X amount of money. Fair, honest, right. Well, under the Obamacare working 9 credits will also give me the benefit of health care, yay!

Oh...Did if forget to mention that the university is required to provide me with a plan if I teach 9 credits? Costing them more money and more paperwork for a temporary employee that will move on to bigger an better things? So what do they do? Obviously NOT hire me for 9 credits, but only 6...which is a significant pay cut. So not only do I NOT get to have "free" Obamacare, but I will also no longer make enough money to pay for healthcare on my own...let alone my school and family costs.

Thanks for looking out for me Obama!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 18, 2012 11:00 a.m.

Re: xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    "I want Romney to win ..... because I want to see him do all the things he says he can do"

Under Obama's leadership our deficit spend is spiraling out of control at about the same rate as California's under Democratic Governors Gray Davis and Jerry Brown. Mitt Romney, unlike Obama, has proven he can balance a check book. What he did for the Olympic Winter Games in 2002 he can do for the USA. Probably the main reason why the Democrats advising Obama are afraid of him.

Romney's trip to Israel isn't going to help Obama either.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 18, 2012 4:45 p.m.

xscribe,

It's about time the producers get a break. The consumers have been bleeding out the economic system.

Want to keep the country going? Protect the producers, and quit blaming them for everything. Don't want to see our people begging in the streets.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2012 5:01 p.m.

@Jac0m

Obamacare helped me as a graduate student because it let me stay on my dad's insurance plan since I'm under 26. My school based insurance option was entirely unaffected by Obamacare. It really came in handy considering I'd eventually need surgery and having two health insurances saved me a couple thousand dollars that I'd have had to pay if I only had one health insurance (and over 10 thousand dollars if I had none).

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 20, 2012 10:37 a.m.

If people were responsible and self reliant, these discussions on government help wouldn't exist.