Jeff Benedict: Sports Illustrated writer Jeff Benedict grateful for the opportunity to share Jabari Parker story with the world

Comments

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 17, 2012 3:33 p.m.

Not a very well written article. Kind of boring and too much about the author. I guess this is a teaser for the SI article. I hope it's better than this.

• Afterglow Fanissimo Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 18, 2012 4:20 a.m.

Yeah, this sounds like more of an article about Jeff Benedict than an article about Jabari Parker. Not to mention the Steve Young name dropping. Congratulations to the author, though, for making his dream come true and writing for Sports Illustrated. But, as far as Jabari, Mister Benedict seems to have turned his back on him, just like that Benedict Arnold of old.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    May 18, 2012 10:16 a.m.

It did occur to me as I read the article that I had hoped for more about Jabari, no so much about why Jabari is like the author, but it was nice to hear about his character being pre-eminent over his basketball skills. I think having good character becomes more difficult as you go up that talent/skill chart, so Jabari continues to impress. I hope he can hold to his great character throughout his career because great role models in sports are few!

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    May 18, 2012 5:47 p.m.

c'mon folks. The article was fine. I enjoyed reading it, and it made me interested in reaading the SI feature.

• Heater BALA CYNWYD, PA
    May 18, 2012 8:05 p.m.

Why can't you people understand that what Benedict is doing is giving all of us background info on how his SI cover story came into being. It is sometimes interesting to learn how a writer came about writing a piece like that, or personal insights he had in writing it. That's why he's including more personal experiences. But if you numbskulls badger him with non-sensical comments, I wouldn't blame him if he stopped. Geez, people. Get a clue.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 18, 2012 8:48 p.m.

Jabari would look real fine wearing Cougar Blue. That would really irritate some folks.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 18, 2012 9:46 p.m.

I read the article in Sports Illustrated and it is excellent. Mr. Benedict did a great job.

I can't believe how similar this story is to Jimmer's. I recommend it to everyone.

• shardy IRVING, TX
    May 19, 2012 5:55 a.m.

Afterglow Fanissimo: Take a careful look at the title of the article:

‘Sports Illustrated writer Jeff Benedict grateful for the opportunity to share Jabari Parker story with the world’

The title of the article tells you that the article is about Jeff Benedict's experience writing the article and, astonishingly, that is exactly what it was about.

• sms614 Warwick, RI
    May 19, 2012 7:33 a.m.

I enjoyed this article! It's supposed to be about Jeff Benedict and how grateful he was to cover the story about Jabari for SI. Thanks for sharing, Jeff!

• DonP Sainte Genevieve, MO
    May 19, 2012 10:21 a.m.

GREAT article! It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for the back story. I can just imagine what Jabari's parents thought when they first saw the SI cover and how they were able to keep it a secret from their son I will never know. I couldn't have kept that big a secret very long from any of my seven children. I really enjoyed the SI article and this one too. Never mind the knuckle heads Jeff, you did GOOD!!

• JasonH84 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2012 12:31 p.m.

@Cats, "I can't believe how similar this story is to Jimmer's." Everything except that this kid is black, for real, will have a career in the NBA, humble, doesn't think of himself as more than he actually is, won't be attending BYU, and probably will go on a mission. Yup, pretty much the same as Jimmer's story.

• Amorphous Saint George, Utah
    May 25, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Wow, read SI for the article about Jabari. This article was intended to draw a comparison and it did that just fine. I enjoyed it. So many lit critics.