BYU football: Cougars' season-opener vs. Washington State moved to Aug. 30 on ESPN

Comments

• MJB Tooele, UT
    May 16, 2012 1:50 p.m.

Another non-saturday game because of the deal with ESPN. GREAT!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 16, 2012 2:26 p.m.

That ESPN thing is huge! lol

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    May 16, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Hooray. The new Sept. 28 date for the Hawaii game avoids a conflict with the Gen. Relief Society Mtg. on Sept. 29 (in case Coach Chow was worried about which event his wife would watch).

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 16, 2012 2:55 p.m.

BYU being used as a filler on ESPN. Shocking!?

SportsCenter can't be on all the time; can it?

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    May 16, 2012 2:59 p.m.

The more non-Saturday games the better, for more folks to get to see the Cougars in prime-time. And now they get the season-opener, fantastic!

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 16, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Re: Wally West

So Wally, tell us how many nationally televised games will the Utes participate in this coming year; that is other than the game with Utah State (thanks to the WAC's relationship with ESPN)?

Good luck with USC. Once again you won't have to play Oregon or Stanford.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 16, 2012 3:45 p.m.

"tell us how many nationally televised games will the Utes participate in this coming year"

Every game will be nationally televised.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 16, 2012 4:24 p.m.

The full moon that night would be more interesting.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    May 16, 2012 4:28 p.m.

There is no debate about it. The national spotlight during the WSU vs BYU game will be on 1st year coach Mike Leach, win or lose. Now that ESPN is taking on more football contracts like the ACC, it has to do something with Junior by moving games around. Enjoy your TV contract BYU fans. Its only going to get harder to get attention in the national TV spotlight. Based on last season's ratings it won't amount to much.

I must admit I will be interested to see the WSU, BSU & USU games.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 16, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Does anyone know what college football's opener is? If there is a silver lining to this it would be that it's the first game of the season.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    May 16, 2012 6:00 p.m.

I find it extremely funny that the BYU haters are bagging on us for having four games that are not on Saturday when they have exactly the same amount. Look up your own schedule. The only thing moving this to Thursday will do is that everyone will be watching the BYU WSU game instead of the Utah Northern Colorado game. Even the haters will be watching BYU.

• Gorum The Old Madison, AL
    May 16, 2012 6:05 p.m.

I think this is great for all involved. My issue with Th, Fr games are the lack of preperation allowed that week. This is not an issue in 3 of the 4 non Saturday games. The opener obviously doesn't have this issue. The BSU game does, but it is the only one and since it is a game on ESPN against a perrenial top 10 team, I don't mind as much. Hawai'i is the next week so there is an 8 day interval there and USU is the next friday giving a full week there.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    May 16, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Sad. So sad.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2012 9:33 p.m.

Ute fans are so funny! They just can't stand it that BYU is nationwide and the U of 2.O GPA is SLC only. You get out of SLC and people are like U of U who are they?

By the way I like having Thursday night games. Everyone in the country is watching! I have fun things to do on Saturday, hiking, fishing, camping, riding.....

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    May 16, 2012 11:09 p.m.

Ah so BYU and Washington State will be one of the first games to kickoff the 2012 season?sounds good to me. I will be at the game and where else would you rather be on a thursday night in front of the bright lights at LES with ESPN there? cant wait

GO Cougars!!!

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    May 17, 2012 12:30 a.m.

Yes BYU Washington St. at 10:15 EST on a Thursday!! Now that's prime time!!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    May 17, 2012 6:16 a.m.

I was planning to bring my WSU grad neighbor up to Provo for the game. He planned to bring his family. Not sure if he can come up for a Thursday game.

I'm OK with weekday games on TV, but I like to travel to games like Ol' Miss last year. Probably would not have done it if the game had been on Thursday. I wonder if Ol' Miss fans would have filled the Grove on a Thursday? Doubt if the school would allow 10,000 fans on campus during classes.

These TV contracts certainly change the fan experience. But at least we get to see our teams play nearly every game. Gotta pay the price for that. One really bad price is that if team X has a bye on Saturday and team Y plays, then a Thursday game really hurts team Y. I hope ESPN takes that into consideration when scheduling a Thursday game.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 17, 2012 7:27 a.m.

I like Thursday games but am not a big fan of Friday games. Friday nights I attend the high school games and Saturday's I coach the kids and that occasionally, although not a lot, interferes with the Saturday games. But Thursday's are wide open usually and a good night to attend a game.

But of course it is great exposure and that probably makes it worth it. It definately results in more $ to the program and when it is the only game on most football fans are watching it.

I do love the hypocritical posts from utah "fans" though.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 17, 2012 7:49 a.m.

DevilishUte

"Every game will be nationally televised."

In Uteville 'nationally televised' means regional, aka 'theMtn' or KJZZ. Not even close to a real nationally following on the likes of ESPN.

Still waiting to see how this ficticious 'national' PAC subscription network is going to roll out. You can bet that FOX is not going to broadcast every Ute game nor is there going to be millions of followers beyond Colorado eastern border.

Nice try.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 17, 2012 8:06 a.m.

@sammyg

Of course utah "fans" like to proclaim "every utah game will be on national tv" but there is no evidence that it will actually happen. As of now the pac12 network has an agreement with comcast and that is pretty much it. No direct tv, no dish network, no cox cable, none of the big boys but Comcast.

How soon they forget the mtn network and how it was supposed to be "national" from the 1st season as well. Now you would think the pac12 network would have a little bit more appeal than the mtn did but what utah "fans" fail to realize is that the owners of those cable and sattelite networks do not care. They care only about whether or not they will make money from it. They do not care about larry scott, they do not care about chris hill, they do not care about naval vet, they simply don't care.

I have said before I do not believe the pac12 network will have that broad of coverage this year and there is no reason to think differently. utah "fans" prepare for limited access on limited networks and premium add ons to get it.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 17, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Duckhunter,

You need to do your homework. Cox is already on board and so is Brighthouse, which serves CA, AL, MI, IN. The PAC-12 network is also in negotiations with Directv and Dish. Deals will get done. Jon Wilner, who is a reporter in the Bay Area has said that it will happen. Everything he's said about the network has come to fruition. You should take a look at his blog and educate yourself. Then you won't look foolish on here.

You fear the PAC-12 network becoming large because of jealousy and because once it happens you will have to stop posting to the boards (if you stay true to your word).

• Madden Herriman, UT
    May 17, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Bummer - Holmoe can spin it all he wants, but this is not good news in the slightest. I must say, the independence thing is certainly good for the wider Cougar fan base and TV, but it really slaps local fans in the face. The weeknight drive to the game always stinks and it ruins the atmosphere. On Saturday it is more relaxed, you can make an afternoon or evening of it. On weekdays half the stadium shows up late from work and unless it is a Friday night game, the crowd packs up as quickly as possible to get home and get to bed so they can work the next day. I'm regretting this year's season tickets.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2012 9:35 a.m.

It's interesting how many Utah "fans" spend all their time following the Cougars. As a BYU fan I don't care one bit what's happening at the U. I could care less what "news" is coming from the hill in Salt Lake. I think they just love to hate the Y. Whatever the reason, they are really just closet Cougar fans and that makes me happy.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 17, 2012 10:04 a.m.

"I think they just love to hate the Y."

It's not the University that I dislike. In fact, I very much like what the University stands for and respect and admire its academic prowess and achievements. I have many good friends that attended it. Out of high school, I applied and was accepted to Utah, BYU, and USC, but ultimately chose to stay close to home. I would, however, be willing to send my kids to BYU when they're old enough if that's where they want to go.

However, there is a part of the institution that I do not like. You can draw conclusions about what or who I'm talking about.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 17, 2012 10:59 a.m.

DevilishUte
    Tempe, AZ

Every game will be nationally televised.

And you spend a whole post talking about the ignorance of Duckhunter? Look in the mirror dude. We all know that the Northern Colorado game will not be a nationally televised game. Just to clarify, nationally televised would be in every time zone. I would bet that a good share of the Utah games this year will be regionally televised; ie. Pacific and Mountain time zones only. Keep in mind BYUtv is not just nationally televised, it is also televised around the world in many countries.

I like Utah. I also like their coach. What I can't stand are Utah fans who always try to find a reason to disparage BYU or it's fans by making up nonsense that is not true.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 17, 2012 11:31 a.m.

I guess if BYU can have a "no Sunday play" policy, ESPN can have a "no Saturday play" policy.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    May 17, 2012 11:40 a.m.

Can the Utes use LES on Saturdays? They certainly need the extra seats.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 17, 2012 12:56 p.m.

Duckhunter:

If you really coach football and basketball -- as you've often claimed before -- what was this mysterious "business trip" you had to take to Tulsa during last year's Holy War?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 17, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Cougars1:

"What I can't stand are Utah fans who always try to find a reason to disparage BYU or it's fans by making up nonsense that is not true."

Is your antipathy only reserved for "Utah fans" who allegedly do so, or does it ALSO apply to cougar fans [i.e. Duckhunter, sammyg, Buster aka Veritas Aequitas, et al] "who always try to find a reason to disparage [Utah] or it's fans by making up nonsense that is not true"?

Because I've never seen you call THEM out for doing so likewise. Seems a bit hypocritical.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 17, 2012 1:53 p.m.

DevilishUte

As part of a fanbase that already knows what it feels like to be 'nationally televised' I can tell you personally how great it is, even the reruns are great.

ESPN is hands down the world wide leader in sports.

If I were a Ute, I'd be 'frantic and emotional' over the fact that these things have not been published yet, this so called PAC 10.2 Network is sounding more and more like a West Coast and Mountain Regional Network.

Once the MWC goes belly up Larry can swoop in and by the leftover equipment for pennies on the dollar.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 17, 2012 2:01 p.m.

Naval Vet,
    Absolutely not. I am equal opportunity, and will gladly call out ANYONE who states something I know to be untrue. I have in the past done as much if time permits and it is something that I care about. I will admit that I do not do it as often with fellow BYU fans because, unlike several of your Utah buddies, I rarely find an article about Utah that I want to read, let alone peruse the comments about.

Cowboy Dude
    SAINT GEORGE, UT

Can the Utes use LES on Saturdays? They certainly need the extra seats.

That's rich...a PAC12 school wanting to use the stadium of a private independent school because it is better than the one they have.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 17, 2012 2:37 p.m.

@devlishute

When the pac12 network is actually on those systems come back and let me know, until then it is just hot air. Also I never said I wouldn't post on any of these boards. You utah "fans" never quit fabricating things. I said if the pac12 network is on enough cable and sattelite systems by the start of this coming season to reach 75% of the tv sets in the nation then I will not post on any utah articles for the entire season. That means from the start of fall camp until after a bowl game if utah actually goes to one. That is my deal. I didn't make it with you, johntheliarinslc or any other utah "fan" I made it with myself. Nothing is expected in return on my part.

@naval vet

I went to Tulsa on business the day after the BYU/utah game, I've posted that many times. I returned on Wednesday and even posted that day. I'm sure you'll lie about it again but that is how it went. But why are utah "fans" so obsessed with me taking a business trip? What does that even matter?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 17, 2012 4:07 p.m.

@Ducky

FYI...

The PAC-12 Network is in "discussions" with the "big boys" just like BYU is in "discussions" with the Big 12 (for the last 20 years). Only time will tell which "discussions" will continue into next season. My bet the Big 12 "discussions".

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 17, 2012 5:48 p.m.

@ MacNasty 3:34 p.m. May 16, 2012

Pridefully, chasing after the vain things of this world and in HD. Hmmmm!?

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    May 17, 2012 8:25 p.m.

BYU schedule is embarrassing. Only five games worth watching. Maybe six if you stretch it.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 21, 2012 2:31 p.m.

Remember folks it was a deal with ESPN (and an exciting, good football team) that propelled Boise State (that's Girlsee State to u fans up north) into the national spotlight. Of course, now Boise will never have to play on Thursday night again, right? Right???

Bottom line is: Boise didn't mind, doesn't mind and we don't mind either.

But after BYU embarrasses u in September, u'll wish there was someplace u could bury u're games. Saturday afternoon on a regional subscription channel won't even be deep enough.