Dick Harmon: LDS basketball star Jabari Parker moves into No. 1 prospect status

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 30, 2012 8:05 p.m.

Just the thought of Jabari considering BYU is enough to drive... well, watch the comments come in from the north 'hinter lands'.

Come on Jabari, come to Provo. It's great here and you know it!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 30, 2012 8:29 p.m.

What would be great is a "1-2-1 and done."

And just imagine the howls if he chose Duke, played for a year, went on his mission, then decided to transfer to BYU! Hater heaven.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 30, 2012 8:36 p.m.

He'll add value to any team he chooses to go to and it would be great to see him in a cougar uniform. One thing I know, he won't be choosing the U. They were ruled out a long long time ago.

• Past Utahn Aurora, CO
    April 30, 2012 8:40 p.m.

Can you say Jimmer who?

• donburi South Jordan, UT
    April 30, 2012 8:49 p.m.

Why list Unga as "Chicago 2010 supplemental draft running back Harvey Unga (Timpview)"? Being drafted in regular or supplemental draft makes no difference. "Chicago running back Harvey Unga (Timpview)" would have been just fine.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 30, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Wow, what a great kid, as a BYU fan I would love him to go to BYU, but he will be a great example no matter where he goes! Hope he can keep up the great attitude.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    April 30, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Great that Sammy and others comment about the U.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 30, 2012 9:07 p.m.

Sounds like great young man with a good head on his shoulders. Hopefully he stays healthy and has a wonderful career.

Wishing Jabari all the best.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    April 30, 2012 9:24 p.m.

2 of the first 3 posts are focused on Utah vs. BYU which has absolutely nothing to do with this article, but is still funny.

Regarding his decision to choose a college, I think that BYU's membership in the WCC does hurt their chances here. He can play in the Big 10, ACC, or the SEC with a perennial top 10 program; play against top flight competition, and have the option to play for future hall of fame coaches. He may ultimately determine that Provo is the best fit for him but it will be hard to turn down Michigan State, North Carolina, and Duke to go to BYU.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 30, 2012 9:25 p.m.

Seems like a well balanced kid. Good luck.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    April 30, 2012 9:41 p.m.

Sounds like a good kid with his head on straight. He seems to be on the right road. Keep it up

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    April 30, 2012 9:59 p.m.

This article was a nauseating read at best. Parker will look great in blue...........Duke "Blue" Devil that is.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    April 30, 2012 11:10 p.m.

It is still remarkable to me that a U of U fan has to even comment on this article. The emphasis by one poster on the conference Jabari will play in makes me just smile. I'm sure that every top recruit first considers conference, then team. Right. When Utah was invited to the PAC 12 I suspected that those in and who support the institution would still stand up against the BCS, but it's amazing how quiet many have been since the change. It's also interesting how much of an obsession there is on conference. I'm curious to see if this dies down after the novelty of the change of conference has worn off. Now back to the article(and don't make me get off topic again U fans), I don't envy anyone who is thrown into the spotlight at such a young age. I don't think it's good for anyone, including Jabari. Since he is in the spotlight, it seems like he and his family are taking the best approach they can. I wouldn't wish this pressure on any young teenager.Best of Luck to him!

• across the sea Topeno, Finland
    April 30, 2012 11:55 p.m.

Stay strong! Remain an example - you are already doing GOOD with things that MATTER.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    May 1, 2012 2:21 a.m.

No one commented on Washington. They have the inside track on this talented and intelligent star! His father and Lorenzo Romar played in the NBA together and for anyone who has followed Romar, he can deliver all of those same values that are listed as important to his decision.

Having your son play for your best friend, in a major conference will be big to Sonny!

• MAFU_1976 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 1, 2012 4:14 a.m.

I am sure he would be super stoked to leave playing in high school gyms, only to play in more high school gyms in college.

• EnglishAlan Rugeley, Staffs
    May 1, 2012 5:37 a.m.

Don't miss out on the Mission Jabari. Still one of the highlights of my life, even some 37 years after I returned home. The lights of fame fade and dim. The memories of your mission stay bright forever. (I played rugby at a high level. I remember fleeting moments of it, and I am not belittling those, but they are not what I class as defining moments for me.) When I look back at my life, however, many of the moments that define me as a person were learned from my Mission President, Arnold K Knapp and his wife Frances. As I put into practice their counsel, my life was forever enriched as I saw other lives change as the Gospel touched them. No riches or fame can ever replace such moments.

I wish you every success. Your talent is obviously a gift given you from God. What you do with that talent will be your gift to God. "Always live your life so that those who know you, but don't know Him, will want to know Him because they know you."

• OhioCougar Madison, Ohio
    May 1, 2012 6:20 a.m.

I'd love for him to pick BYU. It sounds like he'll thrive wherever he chooses. I love these kids that give the church a good name wherever they end up.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 1, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Isn't it great that PAC12FAN and others have nothing better to do than to spend their evening browsing BYU articles? So many people are ADDICTED to BYU.

Maybe it's time to fast that this kid comes to BYU. Think of all the more attention BYU will get after BYU already had Jimmer, and the bball and football teams constantly making the top 25 on a regular basis and winning games in the postseason. Having this guy at BYU would great help BYUs profile, especially if he goes on a mission like he should. This kid goes to early morning seminary and is active. There couldn't be a better kid for BYU.

• JoeCoug OREM, UT
    May 1, 2012 7:38 a.m.

How refreshing! I wish this young man and his family nothing but success. I would never judge Jimmer for not going on a mission--it's such a personal decision--though I wonder sometimes if he ever regrets it. If Jabari chooses to serve for 2 years I will be amazed (not that he wouldn't, just that such a promising career and much $$$ would be placed on hold...). It would send a clarion message to all LDS super-ahtletes that, despite an elevated talent level, taking 2 years to give back, serve, learn, struggle, change, teach, suffer, love see lives change is and should be a priority. You can never get that opportunity back. I love his attitude, humility and example. Love for him to attend BYU, but I'll support him wherever he goes, whatever he chooses to do. God bless him and his family.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 1, 2012 7:42 a.m.

@striker and Kaysville Cougar - Many people read articles about many things and make comments. What is wrong with a Utah fan making a comment on a BB article that involves BYU? I didn't say anything bad about BYU and even commented that Parker may end up in Provo.
    This was an interesting article about the top BB recruit in the country but according to both of you, it should only be read by BYU fans. Rose is a good coach and BYU has a good BB program but I still believe that there is a lot to be said about playing against Duke, NC, NCSt., and FSU compared to the WCC teams (same argument for the Big 10 or SEC).
    You want to make this Utah vs. BYU but it isn't, except in your head.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:00 a.m.

@Striker: This article is actually not a BYU article, but an article about an LDS basketball player who is considering his options. There are many LDS members who cheer for, attend and support colleges other than BYU.

I wish Jabari the best wherever he ends up! He sounds like a wonderful young man with a very bright future.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:05 a.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum

If I were a Utah Alum, I would be nauseated as well...

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 1, 2012 8:23 a.m.

@ Veracity, The reason that I found this article so "nauseating" is because of the relentless LDS "chest-bumping." It is only "my" opinion. I cannot apologize for my nausea my friend.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 1, 2012 8:33 a.m.

@ Veracity, coach K at Duke averages more NCAA tourney wins each season than BYU can achieve each decade. If Parker wants to make a career in the NBA, have a moral, top-notch school to attend, great coaching, possibly win a NC, play in a great conference, etc.....he'll attend Duke. If Parker "chooses" to go on a LDS mission, then he must have other aspirations than NBA basketball. His NBA stock "value" will diminish exponentially.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 1, 2012 8:35 a.m.

Utah state.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 1, 2012 8:50 a.m.

@ Aggielove, I couldn't agree more. I always cheer for Utah State!!!!! And, I'm pretty worried that USU will down my Utes in football this year @ USU. Utah State is on the rise! And, I adore the great USU fans.......great fans! However, Utah is loaded this year........I look forward to the game. I hope Utah wins! BYU is gonna lose to USU again.....go Chuckie Keeton!

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum

My, my, my...thin skinned are we?

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 1, 2012 9:03 a.m.

@ Veracity, no thin skin.......just a realist dear sir!

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    May 1, 2012 9:03 a.m.

I'm amused at all of you who want to speak directly to Jabari. He is obviously extremely busy and extremely focused . . . and not on reading the DesNews comment board. I'm a BYU grad and a BYU fan, but I'm only interested in Jabari staying true to his faith and true to his family . . . for his sake. It will be fun to follow him if he does that, no matter where he plays basketball. Sports is not religion, and religion is not sports. Let us not get them confused.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 1, 2012 9:58 a.m.

He should choose mission, byu basketball then TE for Coach Brocno.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    May 1, 2012 12:04 p.m.

If Jabari is an "LDS basketball star" why isn't Mitt Romney and LDS presidential candidate?

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 1, 2012 12:19 p.m.

Sammyg

Get over yourself do you really worry about it that much? You hate everyday, it can't be that healthy

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 1, 2012 12:43 p.m.

COute

2nd post. DUKE, not UTAH. They do have a U in common. Less than BYU and ND have in common.

But I guess I called the howls about right no matter how you read for content.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 1, 2012 12:46 p.m.

News Flash

This is not a "byU" article. It's an article about the top BB recruit in the country that is LDS.

Gotta love Harmon's insinuation at the end though. "hmmmm"

Jabari clearly states (between the lines), that he is going to Duke. Coack K is the one to build character and will get Jabari into his NBA "future".

Whichever road he chooses, it's seems like he has his head screwed on right unlike most young NBA bound teens. Nice to see that.

That's all

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2012 1:20 p.m.

IF he decides to play for BYU, then he will be immediately over rated. That is how me and my Ute fan buddies look at things.

• huggyface Murray, UT
    May 1, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Jabari is a star and Dick didn't mention a few interesting points. This kid is good and even though a Jr in H.S. was listed on many boards as the best HS player in the nation during this school year. He goes to the same HS as Derrick Rose (NBA MVP last year) and his coach said Jabari is better than Rose.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    May 1, 2012 2:05 p.m.

The only thing we know for sure is he'd never go to UTAH.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2012 2:06 p.m.

Since Jabari is considered good enough to go directly to the NBA regardless of where he goes to college, and since he is seriously considering a mission--how glad I am to hear that--I honestly will not be surprised if he does choose BYU. Given that he is a very different--in the eyes of the world--young man who may also choose to complete four years of college (reminding me of Tim Duncan), and given that BYU is only one year removed from producing the College Player of the Year and had the #3 team in the country before Brandon Davies' suspension, his desire for a national championship could also quite feasibly be realized at BYU.

And regarding making this a BYU article: I certainly think it's stupid for a BYU fan to say something to fans of another school before they inevitably show up to comment, but, yes, it is a BYU article because it's about an LDS recruit who is considering BYU. It would not be so if he had already eliminated the Cougars from consideration.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    May 1, 2012 3:16 p.m.

I can't help thinking about how far the church has come since 1978. I was a freshman at the Y in 1977-78, when Keith Rice became (if memory serves) the first black BYU basketball player. (Say what you will about Danny Ainge, but he showed a lot of character in rooming with Rice that year.) And now the nation's #1 high-school basketball recruit is an African American (and Tongan) Mormon--just thinking about it makes me tear up!

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    May 1, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Striker...the articles title is LDS basketball star becomes number one...

So I read the article, being LDS, and I read that this young man is considering several colleges.

How is this a BYU article? Why am I addicted? You may have just assumed the most ridiculous assumption ever...

Are you embarrassed or simply red faced?

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:20 p.m.

Another reason Jabari might very well choose BYU against conventional wisdom is something that is lost, I know, on many LDS in Utah--mainly the ones who don't like BYU. And it's also a reason so many LDS outside of Utah like BYU: For someone who grows up being a distinct religious minority, the idea of spending one portion of your life among those who hold your values is very appealing. That was a big draw for me to go to BYU. And I would be highly surprised if it is not for Jabari as well. Relatedly, and perhaps even more importantly, Jabari is of course moving into the stage of his life when he will likely want to get married. The prospect of being able to choose from thousands of LDS girls versus dozens--if he's lucky--of LDS girls at another school could well hold a lot more weight for this young man than most might think. After all, things will be much more difficult for him in that regard once he becomes a professional player. Just ask Steve Young.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 1, 2012 8:23 p.m.

"Are you embarrassed or simply red faced?"

That was the most non-nonsensical comment I've ever read. If the article has nothing to do with any other Utah school, why do so many come on and post about some other school? He clearly DOES NOT CARE about any other Utah school, but other people want to think he'd consider their school.

I'm amazed at how many people post about some other team when their team isn't mentioned in all the articles I read about BYU sports. Rarely do I go to other sports pages and post, let alone talk non-stop about BYU. The same people always bring up some other school on BYU articles....that is why people are addicted to BYU. The same people comment on this article that includes BYU.

Don't make this into a "oh, it's an LDS player article." I just looked at Utah's and USU's page and this article isn't listed anywhere. It's an article about a BYU prospect, so don't throw in the "LDS recruit" line. Good grief people.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    May 2, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Great kid. I can dream about him in Cougar Blue, but I will be rooting for him no matter where he plays. That he says (or was it his mom?) he wants a college degree leads me to believe that the one-and-done schools may not have the inside line. Like JoeCoug, I won't begrudge him deciding not to serve a mission, but as an RM--who decided to transfer to BYU during my mission--I truly hope he does. He will never regret that decision.

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:26 p.m.

• Benderman1 Layton, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Ute fans love to comment on BYU playing in high school gyms. isn't Utah's home football stadium pretty close to high school capacity? Kind of makes you feel bad for their foodball team having to play home games in such a tiny stadium, and yet, they still can't sell out every game. Now THAT is sad.

• emotionalfriend sandy, UT
    May 2, 2012 7:54 p.m.

"Maybe it's time to fast that this kid comes to BYU."

Are you serious? With all of the things going on in the world, you want to fast about wanting a kid to play basketball at BYU?

• BGuy Falls Church, VA
    May 3, 2012 8:08 a.m.

So what are the chances Jabari doesn't even attend college? Anyone know the specific rule of the NBA CBA? If he just goes on a mission straight out of high school, he'd be 21 when he gets back and perhaps just declares for the draft. I guess that would all depend on timing and how things work out.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    May 3, 2012 10:26 a.m.

"Benderman1
    Layton, UT
    Gott alove the Ute comments about playing in high school gyms. Those high school sized gyms brough more attendance than those that went to see Utah play. Not THAT is sad!"

I'm worried there is going to be a mass suicide up North if BYU ever scraps independence and joins a conference...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 3, 2012 1:42 p.m.

@WON84

I'm not worried about it, I'm sure it would happen. I would just laugh.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2012 3:31 p.m.

He's a great role model for young athletes everywhere. Strength of character is even more impressive when you can drive to the basket like Parker. BYU provides a superior undergrad education, unexcelled environment for personal growth and a great coach plus the likes of Haws as team mates. Good on ya' wherever you go Jabari.

• SC_24 Ephraim, UT
    May 4, 2012 11:31 a.m.

I loved seeing the signs at the MC last year calling for Jabari to attend BYU. Sadly I personally don't see attending BYU as a very good option for Jabari much at all. As far as basketball is concerned he would take the spots of Haws, Emery, Harrison, or Carlino who are fairly optimistic options already for cougar fans. Playing in the WCC would not provide elevating competition for him even if BYU coaches somehow packed the preseason schedule for him. As far as spiritual life there is no doubt he can be in a great atmosphere at BYU and being in Provo can help people stay out of trouble.