College football: Four BYU Cougars, one Weber State Wildcat sign NFL free-agent contracts

Comments

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 30, 2012 12:40 p.m.

I am happy that these Cougars are getting free agent deals however it's a little disappointing that some of these guys are starting their byu careers as nfl prospects projected to get drafted but after 4 years of coaching at byu they are falling off the nfl radar this badly.

it's not just a byu problem, Utah only got 1 guy drafted and he was fortunate to go as high is he did. None of the other guys that have been counted as nfl prospects from utah got drafted either.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 30, 2012 1:40 p.m.

Congratulations to these young men and best of luck to you in your futures!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 30, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Oh no, how are the fans on 'the hill' going to cope with BYU NFL free agent talent? I'm worried it doesn't mean anything.

But then sitting here, in my big fat Lazy-Boy chair, I remember that being a Top 25 program has its shortcomings.

LOL

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    April 30, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Congratulations to all.
    Others have taken this route and made it.
    Why not these guys?

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    April 30, 2012 2:24 p.m.

Umm, sammy, I'm a BYU homey. I bleed blue. I played for the Y back in the days of leather helmets but I'm here to tell you that Utah has plenty to brag about when it comes to NFL talent. After next year they should have a lot more. Good for these Cougs and I hope they make it, but we really have no right push this into Ute fans faces.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    April 30, 2012 4:31 p.m.

USU puts all other Utah school to shame. Two draft picks!

• Gordon over Jimmer CORONA, CA
    April 30, 2012 5:54 p.m.

@Sneaky Jimmy

Actually, USU had three draft picks. RB Micheal Smith was picked up in the 6th round by the Bucs.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 1, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Wow...Independent BYU...no draft picks.

Wow...PAC 12 Utah...one draft pick.

Wow...WAC Utah State...THREE draft picks.

I guess that blew the bottom out of any arguments concerning how important independence is or especially how great it is to be in the PAC 12...

I guess the Pros felt Utah State had the best team talent in the state...WOW...enough said!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 1, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Big Cougar, you're absolutely right. If I were a BYU fan, I would have some serious questions as to what kind of coaching, player development, and strength and conditioning staffs the program has put together.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 1, 2012 4:14 p.m.

What are we saying? byu fans will never root for Carolina or Miami because there are more Utes starting than war kittens?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 4, 2012 9:08 a.m.

All you have to do is watch the video to Reynolds from the bowl game when he blocked that guy without a helmet on. He's the real deal.