Dick Harmon: Coach Dave Rose awed by BYU's growing fan support

Comments

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 11, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Thanks to Steve Cleveland and Dave Rose, BYU basketball has improved steadily during the last 15 years, with an even brighter future ahead.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    April 11, 2012 7:07 a.m.

Coach Rose is a very remarkable man and humility is one of his most valuable assets. He should understand....and probably does, that when you build a program like he has done at the Y, people will come. May this program and this coach continue to enjoy many more years of success. Coach Rose just does things the right way, and when people do things the right way, you can't help but be happy for them.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    April 11, 2012 7:43 a.m.

Looking forward to having Collinsworth healthy . . . and perhaps he actually will be!

The end-of-season sellout was a great tribute to the Cougars.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    April 11, 2012 7:51 a.m.

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    April 11, 2012 7:53 a.m.

I'm not one of the 20,000 that filled the Marriott Center, but one of the untold thousands (tens of thousands?) who had not watched the Cougars in years because of lack of TV access. Thanks to that major change I am back in the fold. GO COUGARS!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2012 8:11 a.m.

I'll tell you what is nice howie. It's when there actually is nice things to say about the program you follow. You wouldn't understand that.

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Go Cougars! Thanks Dave Rose, Steve Cleveland, and Thanks Dick Harmon for a nice piece.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 11, 2012 8:30 a.m.

I will come once this Frontrunner (UTA bus system) start rolling to Provo on December 10, 2012. Sorry, I have came very few times and now I more likely go more. Go COUGARS!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 11, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Mr. Rose is a great coach.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    April 11, 2012 9:17 a.m.

The good thing about Martineau, is that he is being released from his scholarship because he will be graduating this month and moving on with his life. He was not kicked off the team, and he did not transfer to another school like so many instate basketball players tend to do.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    April 11, 2012 9:32 a.m.

I had not watched college basketball for years and years. I caught the 2nd half of the Arizona game where Jimmer put up 49 points and got hooked, not just on Jimmer, but the great basketball style that Rose brings. This is a fun team to watch and I haven't missed a televised game since. BYU has one of the premier coaches in college hoops. I love this team. I made to the Marriott center last year and was blown away. This is really a class program from top to bottom. Gotta love it.

BYU has overtaken Washington in my personal fandom. Luv my dawgs, but I love my kitties more. More accessible and more fun to watch. Go Cougs.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 11, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Let's see, season one of football independence - winning season, ranked, games seen nationally by hundreds of thousands, coulda been better, but not bad at all.

Season one of basketball from "under the bus", not bad at all.

• agb Layton, UT
    April 11, 2012 9:35 a.m.

Predictably Howard S is posting on a BYU article to attempt to deflect the less than positive news that 5 Ute players were recently released from their scholarships.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Howard S. needs to read today's article in the Trib of Coach Krystowiak rescinding a commitment to a kid in California. Coach K signed him to a letter of intent and then called him 6 months later to tell him he had changed his mind. The kid had told other schools he was going to Utah and now the kid is hung out to dry.

I love how some people want it both ways.

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 11, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Very gracious! We love you coach & team!

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 11, 2012 12:08 p.m.

I first met Coach Rose in our Cardston gymnasium when he was scouting Jimmy Balderson a few years back. Class individual for sure. Let me add that our Cardston Cougars took the provincial(state) title this year for the first time in 58 years. We play 4A against all the huge schools from Edmonton and Calgary. Love to see that banner hanging from the rafters.

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    April 11, 2012 12:21 p.m.

Coach Rose is one of the better coaches in America. If you don't believe me, look at this track record over the years. He doesn't get the same blue chips that a Kentucky or Duke gets, yet he continues to churn out 20+ win seasons.

I can't decide who's classier/a better coach - Bronco or Rose.

These guys are probably one of the better tandems in the country. Not many schools can claim top-25 teams in football and basketball each year. What's more, these guys have positioned the programs such that we'll be able to say that for a very loooooong time.

• slobro LONG BEACH, WA
    April 11, 2012 3:01 p.m.

Great article by Harmon!! BYU has 2 outstanding coaches Rose & Bronco!!
    Dave Rose is "CLASS" on & off the court!! We are very fortunate to have him!!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Character matters in college athletics. Dave Rose is at the top. Thanks Coach Rose.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    April 11, 2012 5:56 p.m.

howie

Jealous much?

Coach Rose is quickly developing into one of the top coaches in the country and a coach that other top programs would love to have. It's great news for the Cougars that he's so committed to staying at BYU. And, another bitter pill to swallow for that trainwreck on the hill.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 11, 2012 7:30 p.m.

I grew up watching UNLV basketball. When I got to BYU, Roger Reid was the coach. And BYU basketball was boring. I couldn't stand it. Fan of BYU football; but, at the time, I would cheer for the Utes before BYU. Cleveland started to change that, although I wasn't sold for a while. It was after Rose took over that I finally became a fan of BYU basketball. It wasn't just about winning (although I must admit that played a part). It was because I could actually watch a BYU game and not be bored to tears. Thank you Coaches Cleveland and Rose for making BYU basketball fun to watch.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 11, 2012 8:45 p.m.

As a fan living far from Provo, I greatly appreciate BYU-TV. I get to see almost every game live. I can also watch ESPN live, streaming on the web. (I refuse to pay for cable TV.)

Go Cougars! Can't wait for next season.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 12, 2012 11:31 a.m.

I love the fact that Coach Rose doesn't sit back and wait, that instead he's out shaking the trees to make the team better and avoid having the same problems again next year. I also like that he's starting to look more at JUCO players and based on our success with them in the past decade, I think we should routinely use them to fill in the holes in our roster each year.

The other thing I love about him that maybe others don't, is that he's not afraid to cut ties with players on scholarship who just aren't developing or progressing in order to free up the scholarship for someone who will contribute to the success of the program. I don't understand why Nick Martineau was even given a scholarship in the first place. I think scholarships are too valuable to waste or treat like they're a welfare program.

Just because a player walked on and was with the program for a year doesn't entitle them to a scholarship. A player who only plays 53 minutes of a 35 game season doesn't deserve a scholarship.

Way to go Coach!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 12, 2012 11:45 a.m.

@HypocriteHowie
    "Predictably, Dick comes to the rescue with a typical BYU feel good fluff piece after the less than positive news of Rose releasing Martineau from his scholarship."

Talk about lobbing us softballs to hit. I support Coach Roses rescinding of Nick's scholarship and think that scholarships are too limited and valuable to treat like M&M's and hand out to whomever. Just because a guy walks-on and stays for a year doesn't mean he's EARNED that scholarship. Martineau played 53 minutes out of a 35 game season. He's lucky to wear the jersey and get to hang out with the team. Save the scholarship for players who can contribute. They shouldn't be treated like Food Stamps.

What's hilarious about your post is your commenting on the mote in Rose's eye while ignoring the giant beam sticking out of Krystko's eye. He cut 5 players and just announced that he's pulling the scholarship from Hearlihy without even letting him get into school first and show if he can play or not.

I think that is the epitome of a hypocrite (and a typical ute fan). Lol!