U.S. & World

Rick Santorum suspends GOP presidential campaign

Comments

• deep in thought Salt Lake, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:31 p.m.

WAAHOOOO. It's about time. Now is the time to unite so we can focus on getting rid of Obama!

• Mr. Whim Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 10, 2012 12:33 p.m.

I daresay...finally.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:35 p.m.

I am glad this happened and we can get on with November, but I wish it was under different circumstances. My thoughts and prayers go out to Santorum and his family with his little Bella.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:36 p.m.

With both the deficit and total debt levels higher than ever in our history,

and

with unemployment still above 8% after barack said it wouldnt reach 8% 3 years ago

if he was allowed his 787 Billion first spendathon,

it's time to agree:

Anyone.

But.

barack

• David Centerville, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:37 p.m.

Rick has made the best decision for himself and the GOP. Now evangelicals and Tea Partiers can wrestler whether they will vote for Romney or Obama.

And now the Obama machine will go into full speed. Obama will work to split Americans with social war, economic war, and religious war.

Reagan unified and united the country. Obama is trying to divide and destroy.

Any Republican would be better in the White House than Obama. Hopefully the Chicago style of politics, tax evasion, corruption and ballot stuffing will be caught. Hopefully enough good Americans will vote for Romney so that the Obama Chicago efforts will fall short.

• Sego Lilly Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:37 p.m.

I hope that his daughter is gets well as this is the only reason that I can think of for him to quite running at this time.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:41 p.m.

What? I thought it was only "halftime" a week or two ago.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    April 10, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Yap, it's time Rick, God bless you and your great family!

It's time to rally behind the next president of the US of A. President Romney! Get use to it folks...

• windigo77 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Obama has it in the bag. I'm not a big Obama fan, but when all of his contenders are this idiotic I don't think there was much of a chance of any of them putting up much of a fight anyway.

• barbara Carlsbad, CA
    April 10, 2012 12:47 p.m.

The Santorums have made the right decision, but he was giving it a good run. Better him than Gingrich anyway. Here's hoping Bella lives a healthy life from now on and they can give full support to Mr. Romney.

• Just a Mom Vernal, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:54 p.m.

I'm happy for Mitt. I believe he is the best candidate, especially at this time. However, I am sorry about the serious health problems of Santorum's little girl, Bella. Her illness is life-threatening, and takes a lot of time, effort, and money to treat. Perhaps this is where her daddy's attention needs to be at this time. I think Santorum is a good man with a good heart. He is young, and at a future time if he should decide to run again, I would wish him good luck.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    April 10, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Well let's see. Now the media will proclaim Romney as the next GOP Candidate
    and the convention hasn't even been held yet. Imagine that! After all none one else is electable. We are so easily deceived.

So let's take a look at Romney:
    Obamacare - Repeal and Replace
    Replace with what?
    Push the same thing down to the state level, like Massachusetts? How well is that working for them?

Replace indeed! Where in the Constitution does it give the federal government the authority to be in the health care business? There are only 20 enumerated powers given to the federal government in the Constitution and healthcare isn't one of them.

Are we smarter and more sophisticated than the Founding Fathers? Has human nature changed?
    Have we studied as James Madison and others studied before coming up with this glorious document that once brought us such freedom and prosperity?

Its time to get back to the Constitution! Read it, study it and then use it as the "Measuring Stick" to select folks to represent us. For at least the last 100 years, we have been going against the principles underlying the constitution. We need to repent!

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    April 10, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Hopefully there is plenty of time for the Republicans to help Romney now, to undo the damage of the vitriolic attacks that have unfortunately been a big part of the Primary season. America needs to see that Romney is a man of faith and values, who lives those values every day of his life. Of course they shouls also know that he is a great leader and businessman, which we sorely need.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    April 10, 2012 1:29 p.m.

A good and wise move. I respect him for it. I wish him and his family well.

• cindyb CASPER, WY
    April 10, 2012 3:02 p.m.

I admire many things about Rick Santorum and think it is admireable that several of our GOP people running for president have been men who are dedicated to God, family, and country. I know that he will have good contributions to make in America and I wish him and his good family the best. Now on to beating Barack Obama.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 10, 2012 3:52 p.m.

I wish him and his family well.

I wish he had stayed in the race. We would have had a lot betetr chance to learn the real truth about Romney if Santorum was in the race and digging up what Romney tried to hide.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    April 10, 2012 5:18 p.m.

It's too bad that Santorum's little girl is so ill. He made a good choice to stay with her instead of continuing the campaign. But I also believe that he dropped out right now because he would have had a difficult time catching up and passing Romney. So now, if Romney looses the presidential bid, he is through and gone. So in 2016, when it't time to start another campaign, Rick Santorum will be a sure winner. He not only made a good choice to stop because of his little girl at this time, but a clever choice in case Romney looses the presidential election.

Personally, I pray Romney will win. We can't stand another four years of Obama ruining our country and Romney will get the country back on the right track.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    April 10, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Furry 1993, what was Romney trying to hide?

• Lyle Springville, UT
    April 10, 2012 6:22 p.m.

Santorum gave a very appealing "good-bye" speech. I can see why he won as many hearts as he did.

Then we have Newt, an odd cross between a toad and a vulture, begging for the votes Santorum won't get.