U.S. & World

Miss Universe pageant allowing transgender women

Comments

• Ross Madison, AL
    April 10, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Our gender has been with us since long before we came to earth, and seems to be embedded in our spirits, it also seems that having an operation on the body will little to change the gender of the spirit.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 10, 2012 1:05 p.m.

@ross
    and you profess to know the gender of someone else's spirit?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 1:56 p.m.

Just one problem:

Jenna is a dude.

I can say all day long that I'm Peter the flying purple dinosaur, it doesn't make it so.

A guy wearing a dress is a guy wearing a dress.

A guy with makeup is a guy with makeup.

What if a guy says he's a woman, should he be allowed to compete in women's sports?

What if a guy says he's a woman, should he be allowed in women's locker rooms?

Sorry Jenna,

you're a guy. You were a guy when you were born. You were a guy yesterday. You're a guy today. And you'll be a guy tomorrow.

Sorry dude

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 2:03 p.m.

Attention world:

I am now the number 9. No, 9 is not just my name. I literally am the number 9. If you do not treat me as such you are intolerant!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 2:05 p.m.

"We have a long history of supporting equality for all women, and this was something we took very seriously"

Ummmm....

That's not a woman.

LOL!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 10, 2012 2:21 p.m.

Re: Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    "and you profess to know the gender of someone else's spirit?"

I can't speak for the gender of the spirit but I have a sneaking suspicion that the doctor who delivers a baby and signs the birth certificate has a better than 50% chance of getting the gender right.

Instead of fixating on surgery to change what Mother Nature gave them people would be happier of they turned their focus outward and devoted some time helping others.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 10, 2012 2:36 p.m.

@rifleman
    the doctor probably does have a pretty good chance of getting the sex of the child right but if you do a little research on the subject you will learnt hat gender depends on much more then what one has between their legs.

@Chris B

Really?

• George Bronx, NY
    April 10, 2012 2:46 p.m.

@DN monitor

Since when do childish inane comments such as Chris B's qualify as civil or thoughtful. HIs comments are nothing more then the type of thing I would expect from a 10 year old school yard bully, they add nothing to the conversation and only seek to intimidate. Please tell me you hold to I higher standard then this.

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 10, 2012 2:52 p.m.

This is not news. Step up your game DESNEWS online.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 10, 2012 3:23 p.m.

Re: Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    "if you do a little research on the subject you will learn that gender depends on much more then what one has between their legs."

Yes, you are correct. Sex is determined by the presence or absence of certain chromosomes. It is true that Mother Nature doesn't always get it right but by and large what you see is what you get. Personally I never worried much about it.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    April 10, 2012 3:24 p.m.

surgery doesn't change DNA.

• duggity Bountiful, UT
    April 10, 2012 3:35 p.m.

@ Kalindra.
    And thats exactly how that group operates. If you don't like that people won't accept your "gender choice" then work on getting the definition of gender changed enought through the media that eventually the "research" will support your argument. Chris B has it right. Just because you say it is so does not make it so. I'm reminded of Taming of the Shrew; "Nay tis the moon."

• Well Read SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 10, 2012 4:43 p.m.

What is can not be changed by plastic surgery. Gender is eternal. Surgery may change the outward appearance, but gender is not changed by the knife. The person who changes the appearance of ones gender will wake up in the next life with the same gender the person was born with. What is can not be changed by the knife.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 10, 2012 5:57 p.m.

@metamoracoug
    and DNA research shows there are a great many gender variances.

@duggity
    you are right you caught us science and our research is just out to contradict your folk knowledge of the world no matter what we have to do.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 11, 2012 8:26 a.m.

Re: Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    "and DNA research shows there are a great many gender variances."

The DNA variances you reference are known as birth defects. Some are easily (and tragically) obvious at birth. Other birth defects may not be as obvious but they are defects nevertheless.

Regardless of how these defects manifest themselves they are outside of what Mother Nature considers to be normal.

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    April 11, 2012 11:09 a.m.

@rifleman
    gender variances are no more a birth defect then the color of your eyes the color of your hair or the tone of your skin.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 11, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Re: Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT

Which obviously explains why Jenna Talackova underwent a sex change four years ago after being born a male.

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    April 11, 2012 11:52 a.m.

@rifleman
    Once again you are purposely confusing what is between a persons legs for gender. I thought we moved past this point but clearly you lack any credible arguments and feel the need to circle back.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    April 11, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Maybe I've missed something, but the last I knew XX equals female and XY equals male. Any variation on that is a genetic defect.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    April 12, 2012 1:08 p.m.

So wait a minute. You mean if I tell the media that I'm black enough times that maybe they'll believe me? I'm really just an average white guy who has always dreamed of being black for athletic reasons, so maybe I can change that somehow by speaking it into existence? This is awesome! I thought I was going to have to have all kinds of surgeries like Michael Jackson, only in reverse. Man, only in America. What a country!