Utah

Doug Robinson: Mike Wallace vs. President Hinckley? Dave Checketts needn't have worried

Comments

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    April 10, 2012 6:09 a.m.

How could you not have a soft spot for President Hinckley? Mike Wallace (even though he wouldn't describe it as such) recognized that here was truly a man of God, who loved all humanity.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 10, 2012 7:26 a.m.

President Hinckley was a master of public relations. His interview with Mike Wallace was a classic example of how best to get a message across. Concerning that inverview -- well done Mike Wallace and Gordon Hinckley, both of you.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    April 10, 2012 8:33 a.m.

True leaders rise to the occasion, I remember that awesome interview vividly. RIP Mr. Wallace...btw thanks for the article, great reminder of these two great individuals.

• MC Ute Midvale, UT
    April 10, 2012 8:34 a.m.

This is a wonderful example of journalism, something I feel is lost in today's world. Mr. Wallace asked and President Hinckley answered. Mr. Wallace respected a Spiritual Leader and no bad was spoken of him or his religion. It really is sad that many journalists today cannot have the same respect. I love that President Hinckley was so willing to share. As those of us who are members of the LDS Church, we understand that parts of our religion as sacred not secret. I really wish that those who are so critical of our religion would take the time as Mr. Wallace did to understand what we believe in and not listen to those who was to spread hatred about us. Ask questions, listen and respect each persons God given right to believe what they will.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 8:56 a.m.

Both men, a penetrating journalist and a man of God, were people of good will. They had vastly different persona's but shared a common humanity. What great examples for us all. Their reunion was in a better place.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    April 10, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Wonderful!

• Texas_Reader College Station, TX
    April 10, 2012 9:15 a.m.

The world has lost a truly great journalist and an even greater human being in Mike Wallace. I was in high school when his interview with President Hinckley first aired on 60 Minutes, and even then I could sense that it was a watershed moment for the church. I had never felt more proud of my church or more proud of the man I revered as a prophet. President Hinckley displayed an openness and a poise that showed the entire church membership that we have nothing to hide and nothing to worry about, and we should seize any opportunity to tell our story to the world. I will always appreciate the goodness of both President Hinckley and Mr. Wallace and the way their interview blessed my life.

• grip Meridian, ID
    April 10, 2012 9:27 a.m.

My thanks to President Hinckley, Mike Wallace, Dave Checketts and Doug Robinson for the best expressions of humanity and the best piece of journalism I have read in a long, long time. Masterfully done. It lifted my vision and, I am sure, many others.
    I was very impressed with the interview of President Hinckley and Mike Wallace when it took place. I was serving as a director of public affairs at the time. My vision and work took on a new meaning and helped answer many inquiries and meet objections then and since.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    April 10, 2012 10:20 a.m.

Loved this article. I remember those interviews well, and the true friendship that grew out of them. Am reading this with tears in my eyes. I loved President Hinckley so much, and admired both of these great men.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 10:23 a.m.

I am a little embarassed that Dave Checketts thought he had to soften up Mike Wallace for President Hinckley. I would have thought President Hinckley calling Mike Wallace to ask him to go soft on Dave Checketts a more likely scenerio. The prophet doesn't need any one to stand up for him. After all who do we know the prophet talks to regularly. His interviews with his Boss are a lot more to think about than a 60 Minutes interview.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 10, 2012 11:00 a.m.

A good article. I had the opportunity to meet with President Hinkley from time to time, including in his office. Do not underestimate how savvy he was and how tough he could be when necessary. He certainly balanced out the need for toughness with spiritual strength and the exigencies of the Gospel. I am certain that Mike Wallace recognized and respected that.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:02 p.m.

I can just imagine the wonderful reunion these two had in another place.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 10, 2012 12:27 p.m.

"CB
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I can just imagine the wonderful reunion these two had in another place.

Have no idea why this is being denied. They can't reunite in the after life they have different faiths.

So how can they possibly have a reunion?

• OKC UTE Moore, OK
    April 10, 2012 12:50 p.m.

LValfre,

You have no idea what you are talking about. So please give it a rest and don't assume that you know what we believe. Because you obviously don't understand.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    April 10, 2012 1:25 p.m.

Oh,I imagine they met if they wanted to.

• deep in thought Salt Lake, UT
    April 10, 2012 1:30 p.m.

@ LValfre

First I wanted to say sorry, it seems perhaps you left the faith under negative circumstances. I have noticed in past posts an edge of ... frustration perhaps?

Second, I will do my best to clear up the doctrine. I am not seasoned nor do I hold any high callings, but this is how I understand the afterlife.

When you die, you are met by many friends and family who love you. It is a beautiful experience. No one has been given a final judgement (Celestial etc.) until after the 1000 years of the millennium so that is still quite a ways off. Even very wicked people are met by those who love them. All mankind will feel of God's love.

People a generally divided into two groups, mostly the honorable and dishonorable (paradise and prison) for a long period of time and everyone is given the chance to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ and even do some repenting.

All spirits will eventually find peace, joy, and rest except for those eternal followers of Satan. It is an inclusive plan that gives equal opportunity to all, even those who died young or knew no law on earth.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    April 10, 2012 1:38 p.m.

"LValfre
    I spent years in the church so don't assume . . . ."

Obviously,spending time "in the church" does not automatically denote understanding as you so plainly project. Don't assume that just because you were in the church that you fully understand the content, context and intent of what you so roundly condemn. It is YOU who cannot assume to know the heart and mind of a god you have no concept of. Just because you don't understand doesn't make something not so. It just means that you don't understand it.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    April 10, 2012 1:48 p.m.

To:
    deep in thought

Your claimed lack of seasoning belies your apparent understanding. Yours is one of the best "nutshell" descriptions I have heard in a long time.

Thanx!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 10, 2012 2:39 p.m.

LDS doctrine has always been that at death we go to the Spirit world. Brigham Young said the Spirit world is around us. A previous commenter is trying to spew twisted and false doctrines about the after life. He has previously clearly identified his antagonism towards the Church and now is trying to express his antagonism forcefully. Anyone who has read Doctrine and Covenants 138 would know that claiming that President Hinckley and Mr. Wallace meeting in the spirit world is impossible has no doctrinal basis. I do not presume to judge any man enough to know where they are in the spirit world.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 10, 2012 3:10 p.m.

I think the discussions were more civil when we had the comment space at the top. People less often fed the trolls.

One thing I liked about the Wallace/Hinckley interview is that they showed both people during much of the program. This was a major flaw in the later Helen Whitney production, where they spliced responses to one question in a way that it seemed the statements were in response to another question.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 10, 2012 3:21 p.m.

John Pack,

Listen I'm not out to be a jerk. I'm just asking for dialogue on this because of what has been said by church leaders.

"Then will they become Gods...they will never cease to increase and to multiply, worlds without end. When they receive their crowns, their dominions, they then will be prepared to frame earths like unto ours and to people them in the same manner as we have been brought forth by our parents, by our Father and God” Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 17:143

"All those who are counted worthy to be exalted and to become Gods, even the sons of God, will go forth and have earths and worlds like those who framed this and millions on millions of others

Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 18:259, October 8, 1876

I'm not twisting anything I'm asking a question here. You're being forceful. And if Wallace is not a faithful temple sealed LDS, he's not getting into the celestial kingdom. That's what is taught, right? If not answer ... don't get all forceful and angry.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 3:41 p.m.

@SLCWatch
    "His interviews with his Boss are a lot more to think about than a 60 Minutes interview."

Yeah but at least he doesn't have to worry about his Boss possibly taking anything out of context.

@LValfre
    "They can't reunite in the after life they have different faiths. According to LDS, at least what was said in the past, Hinckley should be the God of his own planet.

Wallace, on the other hand, chose the wrong faith and is thus not in the celestial kingdom, let alone near Hinckley's planet. "

Okay there's a lot of things wrong with this... though I'm an ex-mormon myself I'm pretty sure that...
    1. You know that there's a period in LDS theology before final judgment right? Nothing says they can't meet in the spirit world, heck, President Hinckley could give him the discussions if necessary.
    2. There's nothing that says non-LDS can't get into the celestial kingdom.
    3. If we go that route and assume Hinckley "gets his own planet", there's nothing that says he can't visit others. Thunderstorms are when they get together and go bowling (kidding).

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 10, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Thanks Alt. I'm not picking a fight and appreciate you answering my questions without getting defensive. I now know otherwise.

"There's nothing that says non-LDS can't get into the celestial kingdom."

I believe the only way to get in is through a baptism of the dead at that point then. I was taught otherwise alt ... you do everything so you can get in the highest level of heaven, the celestial kingdom. Getting sealed to another mormon and holding the priesthood is how you get there ... and if you're not of LDS faith how else can you get there without being baptized after death?

• filovirus Salem, OR
    April 10, 2012 5:04 p.m.

@LValfre
    "if you're not of LDS faith how else can you get there without being baptized after death?"

You cannot attain the highest kingdom if you do not go through the gate of baptism. There is no other way. However, God in his wisdom, set up a way for every person to receive baptism, whether in this life, or the spirit world. Faithful members of the LDS church can do a proxy baptism for those who didn't receive the ordinance while on Earth. Eventually, every person who died without baptism will have this ordinance performed for their behalf. While in the spirit world, these people will then have the opportunity to accept or reject the ordinance. Never is it forced upon them.

• DRay Roy, UT
    April 10, 2012 11:12 p.m.

Wouldn't it be great if we all had Pres. Hinckley's optimism and cheerful approach to life? My less-active Aunt didn't care much for the church, but sure loved and always listened to Pres. Hinckley, feeling his acceptance of all people, member and non-member alike.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    April 11, 2012 9:54 a.m.

Is Satan really a bad guy if he disciplines those who do not follow God's commandments? The more that I contemplate what is commonly believed about the afterlife it seems to be a fairy tale.

I do enjoy the idea that Mike and Gordon are enjoying nice cold lemonade drinks sitting on some lawn chairs being carried by angels.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    April 11, 2012 11:00 a.m.

To SLCWatch:

The Prophet doesn't need anyone to stand up for him? Since WHEN? Maybe we should all stop praying for him then? Or maybe Joseph Smith didn't need anyone standing up for him either? Remember how alone he felt when his friends abandoned him? Think Jesus felt a bit lonely when his Apostles didn't stand by him?

I understand your thinking, but it is flawed. It was nice of Checketts to stand up for the Prophet...and come to think of it, the Prophet wrote a book called, "Standing for Something", and I suppose standing for the prophet was a good choice on Checkett's part!