Dick Harmon: It takes a special type of person to be a backup quarterback

Comments

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    March 30, 2012 9:37 p.m.

Remember, being a backup quarterback at byu, 90% of the game is half mental.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 30, 2012 10:37 p.m.

Thanks, Otis...

Moving on, many of us were pulling for the RM Bybee over the heathen McMahon. Bitter irony - we loved the glory but found the rebellion tough to swallow.

Liked the interview with Lark a little while back, same with Manoa today. You gotta have incredible desire, but they want it for the team more. That attitude is consistent with what Bronco is buidling here.

So yes, I'll keep dreaming of glory days for my boys in blue. But more importantly, they'll do it the right way, or, they'll keep trying to do it the right way. I can live with that.

• Pickle Juice, The Key to a BCS Murray, UT
    March 31, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Y Grad,

I'm glad you can live with mediocrity. Most true fans desperately want to see BYU go to the next level. Most fans want BYU to strive for excellence and the BCS. I can live with that.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    March 31, 2012 10:43 a.m.

They way Riley loves to mix it up and run into danger makes me wonder if James Lark will need that clipboard for long.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 31, 2012 3:55 p.m.

Pickle Juice,

Of the things I desperately want, college football success isn't one of them. Especially if it comes at the cost of honor. THIS BYU fan wants BYU to strive for excellence in character and on the field, and the BCS. In that order.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 31, 2012 10:18 p.m.

I agree with Y Dad on this one.

As far as Bybee's advice, though, I wonder if the 4th-6th string guy really has to be THAT ready at game time.

• Gary Kinney Huntington Beach, CA
    April 1, 2012 11:22 a.m.

As I've always told my athletes. Be ready, you are only one play away from being on the field. Anyone can be injured or removed very quickly...one must always be ready.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:39 p.m.

@MiP

Several years ago a string of qb injuries lead to Ryan Hancock, BYU's 4th string qb, becoming the starter for most of the remainder of the season. It happens.

Just last year at utah a qb that shouldn't be any more than 4th string, and is now listed as 4th string, was utah's starter for the majority of the season. Of course utah didn't have a 2nd or 3rd string qb because of some hilarious coaching blunders, but needless to say that 4th stringer got his chance.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2012 2:13 p.m.

BYU's backup quarterbacks would start at any other school in the country.