Utah

Clark Ivory: Building houses and a community

Disciplined approach delivers successful results

Comments

• ExDixieIte Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2012 7:58 p.m.

Is it just me or does this feel like a six webpage infomercial for Ivory Homes?

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2012 8:23 p.m.

One thing I wish companies would do is to quit giving in to making higher profit margins and start giving people real yards again. It's ridiculous how small some of the newer home's yards are.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    March 12, 2012 9:19 p.m.

It's a great success story. Clark is a tremendous leader who surrounds himself with like-minded people. But I would like to mention that in 2007 Ivory Homes went through a gut-wrenching layoff. About half of us were cut. Now I will say that Clark treated us as fairly as he could. I was paid a month's severance, plus my vacation and sick leave. About a month after I was laid off, I had a phone call from the Ivory Human Resources Manager. She told me that there had been a change in policy resulting from a change in the company's health insurance. Although I was no longer part of the company I was given a check for $2000 because I had been affected by the change. I don't believe that Clark was legally bound to do that. But that is the kind of integrity he has.

• Noodlekaboodle Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2012 10:44 a.m.

If you have ever owned an Ivory home you might not have as glowing of a review of the Ivory's as this article paints...

• UtahManAmI0319 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Ivory Homes has sold over 10,000 homes. You can't sell that many homes if your quality is poor. Plus if you had read the article it points out there customer satisfaction rating is above 90%.

• aghast SYRACUSE, UT
    March 13, 2012 3:21 p.m.

Customer satisfaction ratings are in how you ask the questions. I have known at least three families that complain about crooked walls, floors and sidewalks that have never been fixed and never been part of a customer satisfaction survey. Coincidence? Despite warnings, claims, warranties and guarantees - it is buyer beware. Don't just hire an inspector - hire somebody that knows something.

• Noodlekaboodle Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2012 5:15 p.m.

@UtahManAmI0319
    So with that logic the store with the highest quality items is Wal-Mart, because they sell the largest volume, also the best food in the world must be McDonalds because they sell more product than anyone else. United Health Care must be the best health insurance because they have the most policies. Selling a large volume in no way means that your product is quality.

• UtahManAmI0319 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2012 8:35 a.m.

@Noodlekaboodle
    I don't think your examples fit this situation. You are talking about companies that have the lowest prices and that is why they have high sales volume. Ivory Homes prices are not even close to being the lowest in the state, but still people keep buying there homes. So my question to you is: Why do think Ivory Homes sales so many homes? Even though there are not cheaper homes in the market and according to you the quality is sub-standard.