West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge named Mr. Basketball

Comments

• Madden Herriman, UT
    March 12, 2012 3:07 p.m.

He had a fantastic year and deserved it for sure. Bummer he couldn't get the state title, but despite the "titles mean everything" mentality that is all the rage right now, basketball is a team sport, and the best individual player doesn't always win the title no matter how well he plays.

I don't follow HS hoops that closely, but is there anyone out there who can keep the Lone Peak stars from getting this award in 2013 and 2014?

Who should be on the radar for next season?

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 12, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Congrats to this young man. I'm sure he'll stay 1 year, 2 year tops at the U, which seems to be part and parcel of how long their recent signees have stayed in the basketball program.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    March 12, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Kudos to Jordan Loveridge. He deserves the honor. 'Madden' asked if anyone will keep Lone Peak stars from getting the award in the next two years. It's interesting. Because Lone Peak has won with a tandum of stars over the past several years, they haven't produced a Mr. Basketball since Jackson Emery 7 years ago. They have 4 State Titles in those 7 years and only one Mr. Basketball. The award goes to the single most valuable player and not necessarily the kid with the best team (though one would think that would play into it). If that trend continues, T.J. Haws will be the next Mr. Basketball from Lone Peak, in 2014, because he will have Emery and Mika next to him next year. I don't see anyone in the State who will be able to knock off Lone Peak next year, yet they likely will not have a player named Mr. Basketball to show for it. No matter, it's a team sport and the big prize is the State Championship. Amazing if Nick Emery ends his career without the honor. Not to discredit Loveridge. He's an amazing player!

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Loveridge is an amazing player. He has the opportunity to make an immediate impact for the Utes. The fact that the Utes are rebuilding will give Jordan even more playing time as a true freshman.

I can't wait to see how much better next years Utah team will be. No doubt they have a lot more talent on the team it will be interesting to see how fast they can gel and play together as a team. Obviously the Utes need some offense and I think Jordan will be able to give a good spark.

I don't think they will be competing for the conference championship next year but there is no reason to think that they won't be competing at that level in a few years.

It's a great time to be a Ute and welcome to our family Jordan

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    March 12, 2012 5:00 p.m.

Utah, really? Good luck. Too bad he isn't a gymnast.

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 12, 2012 5:25 p.m.

Congrats on the award and in your choice Jordan. It will be fun watching you and the rebuilding process. Go UTES!

@Ducky, the only thing sad is your comment. Please don't complain about trolls on byu articles. Go Gaels!

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    March 12, 2012 5:35 p.m.

Good kid, good player, and congrats on the award.

I question the selection just a little though. And I "still" really question how he's gonna do in the Pac12 - has zero outside shot, and at 6'6", good luck playing on the inside.

I do wish him well, and hope the best for his time up on the hill.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 12, 2012 8:13 p.m.

@Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

"Unfortunately he will wind up his utah career never having gone to the ncaa tournament and never winning a conference championhip. He may never even experience a winning season."
    ***************

No NCAA tourny? No conference championship? No winning season?

Perhaps... But, notwithstanding your unsupportable predictions, the reality is that you don't know and I don't know...

But one thing we both know is that he will never play in a 3,000 seat arena.

• pinstripe Provo, UT
    March 12, 2012 8:26 p.m.

@Natester

Sorry to burst your bubble but Tyler Haws won Mr. Basketball 2 years in a row 2008 and 2009.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 12, 2012 9:17 p.m.

@howie

LOL!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    March 12, 2012 9:26 p.m.

Why is the shed empty? All the tools are busy!

Good luck Jordan! You're going to have a great ride at the U!

• Kermit Kaysville, UT
    March 12, 2012 9:39 p.m.

Congratulations to Jordan! Wasn't MJ just 6'6"? As I remember, there are 3-4 great HS players from Utah that played on the competitive summer league team. Two committed to the Aggies and Jordan to the U. I think 1-2 were BYU-bound. If I were Jordan, I'd jump ship and go to Utah State! :) But he seems pretty committed. Be'd be great with Medlin, Reed, and Co.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 12, 2012 10:33 p.m.

@Duckunter

"But we both know he'll play in a 15000 seat arena with only 3000 fans in it. Often."
    **********

Actually Mr. Duckhunter we don't know that. You hope that, and you and you wish that... but you don't know that.

Think of it this way my deluded Cougar friend, Utah can get better and fill that 15,000 seat arena... but 15,000 will never occupy a 3,000 seat WCC arena.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 12, 2012 11:50 p.m.

Congrats on the honor. Will be great to him in red.

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    March 13, 2012 5:37 a.m.

howard ducky went to tulsa again like he did when it was 54-10

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 13, 2012 6:24 a.m.

@howie

Yes we do "know" that. We saw it all season long at the hc. We've been seeing it there for several seasons. Are you an ostrich?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 13, 2012 7:47 a.m.

His numbers were great for the year. I thought he looked like an average 6'6" guy in the state tournament. He did not dominate the last two state games which are the only ones I saw. I doubt he will be an impact player at Utah for at least two years, if then. Hope I am wrong because I really like him.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 13, 2012 10:55 a.m.

Not saying that being "Mr Basketball" in Utah is a sure fire way to determine how great a player will be at the college level. I mean... who is Tim Henry?

But, this is a great start for coach K and his staff to get a strong hold on the local talent. If you can grab an Alex Jensen, Britton Johnsen or Jackson Emery every so often, it fills an important roll in the "local kid with talent" spot.

I look forward to watching Jordan come in next year and making some noise.

Go Utes!

• 112 Pack Spokane, WA
    March 13, 2012 3:08 p.m.

@ute alumni
    When did you graduate from Utah; last year? Obviously you don't have a clue about the Jerry Pimm or Rick Majerus eras. Utah basketball will be back, and sooner rather than later. Also good luck to BYU tonight.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 13, 2012 8:50 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"Yes we do "know" that.
    *********

Okay Mr. Duckhunter, I accept your paranormal ability to "know" and foretell the events of the future.

So perhaps you would be willing to foretell the score of the Utah/BYU football game this year... Hmmmmm?

Oh and, btw... Did you know in advance the 54-10 outcome of last years contest?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 13, 2012 10:00 p.m.

Well howie let me ask you this. You believe utah will have a good basketball team again why? According to the utah "fans" on here they believe it will happen because in the distant past utah used to be good and so they believe that is evidence that ancient history will repeat itself. 112pac reminds us about majerus, a decade ago, and pimm, a quarter century ago, as if that means future success is "known".

I on the otherhand refer to far more recent history, like say....2 weeks ago. At that point utah was playing in front of 3000 fans, claiming 8000, but we know it was only 3000.

So if utah "fans" "know" utah will be good again based on things that happened last century then I feel comfortable "knowing" what will happen based on things that occured 2 weeks ago.

Let's wager howie. I bet loveridge will play in the hc in front of around 3000 "fans" before utah finishes a season with a .500 record. You decide the penalty for losing.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 13, 2012 11:57 p.m.

@Duckhunter

It must be silly season in Highland tonight, my friend.

I never said the Utes would be good in basketball again... Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I only said they can get better, and if so they can fill their 15,000 seat arena.

However, it is true that as long as BYU stays in the WCC they will always play in 3,000 seat arenas. If that bothers you then perhaps you should support a team that plays in a conference without 3,000 seat arenas.

As for 'knowing" the outcome of future events based on recent history, do you feel comfortable knowing what will happen on September 15,2012 in RES based on the two most recent meetings of Utah and BYU in football? Or do you have a different standard when predicting football results?

As for betting... as the lovely Mrs. Howard S. says... "I don't bet". And besides that, I suspect that an offer to bet is a violation of the DN message board policy.

Oh, and as for 3,000 fans in the Huntsman two weeks ago... were you there? Did you count the fans? Or are you just conveniently making up your own facts?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 14, 2012 3:53 p.m.

@howie

I knew you weren't willing to put up or shut up. Typical utah "fan". Also I seldom predict the outcomes of individual games, anything can happen in any one game, even utah managed to win 6 times this season and they were terrible. I'm sure they had a game or two with 10,000 "fans" in attendence. But it is much easier to look at averages and make a prediction based on averages.

Based on that yes I know that loveridge will play in front of a mostly empty hc next season, and many more times, in his career. He may occasionally see 10,000+ but he'll far more often see many, many less than that. I KNOW it.

As far as BYU playing in the small WCC arenas are concerned? I don't care. That isn't what happens at the MC, it is routinely packed. I don't care about the crowds at road games. I'll be honest I don't even understand why utah "fans" like yourself think that is an issue for BYU fans? Is it because you are desperate for something, anything, to try and say negative about BYU's basketball program? I don't care at all about that.

• red&white MOAB, UT
    March 14, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Congrats to Jordan he deserves this great honor, hope Jordan shows what a great player he is at the Ballislife All American game next month in California, not many kids can say they are an All American.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 14, 2012 9:42 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"But it is much easier to look at averages and make a prediction based on averages"
    ***************

I like you Mr. Duckhunter. You're a funny guy. You even LOL... alot.

So, as you suggest, lets look at the averages. Published reports show Utah's average attendance this year was 8,370.

If you have more accurate verifiable data, I ask you to bring it forward... Please.

As for "putting up" or "shutting up", rather than accept the wager you offered in a previous post, I will make you the following promise:

If Jordan Loveridge EVER plays before a verified Huntsman Center attendance of 3,000 (as you suggested), I will post 10 messages under the moniker of "Mr. Duckhunters Little Brother".

If that's not "putting up" I don't know what is.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 15, 2012 1:38 p.m.

utah did not "average" 8370 in attendance this past season, that is false. They report tickets sold, including season tickets and claim that as "attendance". Any honest fan that attended multiple games will tell you that is a false number. Many, many times this season the newspaper reported that "official attendance" was 8000+ but only 3-4000 fans were actually there.

So we will never get a "verified" count under 8000 because they will not be honest about it. To be fair no one is honest about it, all of the schools use tickets sold as their official attendance. I think you know that though which is why you suggested it and why you will cling to 8370 and falsely claim it to be fact. Typical utah "fan".

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    March 15, 2012 2:13 p.m.

"Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

Is it because you are desperate for something, anything, to try and say negative about BYU's basketball program? I don't care at all about that."

Kinda like we couldn't care less what your ESPN football deal pays your university... or how many of your games are shown on the ESPN family of networks (including the many relegated to ESPNU)... or how you get repeat broadcast rights on BYU TV... or how your HD broadcast facility is really really cool.

We would rather play in a BCS conference, with teams from the Pac 12 filling our schedule every year... rather than face your WAC/FCS-grade schedules and downgraded BCS access (top 2 finish for AQ).

I'm glad we're starting to find mutual understanding.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 15, 2012 4:25 p.m.

If you don't care then why did you bring them all up?

LOL!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 15, 2012 6:42 p.m.

@Duckunter

*****************

There you go again Mr. Duckhunter...

Making statements of "fact" that you are either unable, or unwilling, to support.

If the papers reported many, many times that the Huntsman attendance was only 3-4000, then you should easily be able to quote dates and specific articles that made such claims.

Until then you are just making up your own facts, my friend.

It seems that if it weren't for made up facts, Mr. Duckhunter would have no facts at all.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 15, 2012 6:45 p.m.

Kind of sad that in future years, somebody who might want to look at the commentary people had about Loveridge's fantastic high school senior campaign has to see this childish behavior above.

Congrats to Jordan. If he continues to put in the same type of hard work and on-court leadership, he'll have a lot more accolades and wins to add to his resume.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 16, 2012 10:51 a.m.

@howie

Just because you choose to ignore the truth doesn't make it any less so. If you had any real desire to know the truth you would look it up yourself then aknowledge reality. But you would prefer to argue a false point simply because you cannot stand the fact that a BYU fan is correct and that your beloved utah basketball program is a trainwreck and no one wants to go watch it. My guess is you attended enough games this year that you know I am right so you know you are being false here.

It is similar to when there are only 2 people on an elevator and one passes gas, everyone knows who did it. Well you and I both know the truth here but only one of us is admitting it and it isn't you.

• KH Holladay, UT
    March 16, 2012 11:53 a.m.

For hating the Utes so much, Duckhunter sure talks about them a lot.

54-10

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 16, 2012 4:36 p.m.

@kh

Who said I hate the utes? I absolutely don't. I do have a strong dislike for a large segment of their "fan"base however. But I see that "truth" now equals "hate" when the truth is being told about utah, it's "fans", or its athletic programs.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 16, 2012 7:03 p.m.

Gotta laugh at how quickly our friends on the hill forget that BYU plays HALF of its WCC games in a TWENTY-THREE THOUSAND seat arena.

Programs come and go; just because U once had a pretty good basketball program, doesn't guarantee you'll ever be anything more than a lower to middle of the PAC team.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    March 16, 2012 9:29 p.m.

TheSportsAuthority
    Arlington, VA

"During a rebuilding season, BYU averaged 17,000 fans in the Marriott Center, 2,000 fans more per game than Utah averaged at home during their championship game run last century."
    *****************

While the Cougar Nation feels smug about its attendance championship, Mr. TheSportsAuthority, remember this little factoid.

In it's worst decade of basketball, Utah has as many "non-play-in" NCAA tournament victories as BYU has had in its best decade of basketball... with its best player in three decades.

Kind of puts things in perspective... Hmmmmmm?