BYU football: Cougars expect upperclassmen to lead team to success

Comments

• 007 Layton, UT
    March 5, 2012 12:23 a.m.

No Craig Bills at safety?

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    March 5, 2012 6:33 a.m.

If Bronco always felt that Nelson was the best guy to start then why did split time with Heaps at the start of 2010?

• DC Alexandria, VA
    March 5, 2012 6:38 a.m.

Broadcast the spring game on BYUTV -

• Chris from Rose Park PROVO, UT
    March 5, 2012 6:45 a.m.

Another article to help tide me over till fall. I'm excited for the coming year. Go Cougs!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 5, 2012 7:26 a.m.

re: Go Utes!

A reasonable question fairly asked. You might recall that Riley was injured before the start of the season. It was brushed off, but I beleive it was more serious than that, and rather than throw the freshman completely wet-behind-the-ears into a brutal learning experience, Riley toughed it out as long as he could to give Heaps some time to acclimatize.

Rile WAS injured prior to the start of the season. Everything else? Conjecture on my part. But it's what I believe.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    March 5, 2012 7:45 a.m.

Rugby best in the world "Paul Lasike" - Then he will hold on the ball and can see himself pitching balls (lattual) to his other players. Wish him well for RB.

As for Chambers, still having issues with Bronco? Hope not and I heard he may play DB this year.

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    March 5, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Thanks Y Grad / Y Dad,
    I am so happy to have football back in the news! even if my Utes don't start spring ball for another few weeks. only six months till kick off!

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    March 5, 2012 8:57 a.m.

I smell a BCS Bowl this year. Let's start printing the shirts!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 5, 2012 9:36 a.m.

I love my Cougs, but I'm over Bronco's ambiguity. I said it before last year, and it'll be a drum beat for me this year. I believe Bronco has gotten the football team as far as he'll be able to. I see a team whose "consistent" but not increasing. I donÂt see his as getting the team to the next level, if that next level is important to the AD and Administration like they say it is.

"There are younger players coming on. However, if James Lark is still the best player behind Riley, we'll use him as a backup," Mendenhall said. "If any of the other quarterbacks have a skill set in terms of running the football or maybe doing something else, then we might be able to get them some time on the field in a unique package that would help with some of the experience."

Apparently Coach didn't learn enough about the Heaps-Nelson rotation debacle. "Maybe" & "might"? I'd like a coach more firm and committed.

IÂm tired of his schtick.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 5, 2012 9:41 a.m.

It should be another exciting season of Cougar football.

There are many names who are not listed in this article that will be in the mix in September. Craig Bills is one of those. But others include Hine, Fua, Stout, and Ryker Mathews.

I'm hopeful we can find another Dennis Pitta, Johnny Harline type TE. The TE is such a critical position for the type of offense we run. This is the position we have missed the most the past two years.

Lark seems like the right choice to back-up Nelson if Nelson sustains an injury. However, since he's a senior, I hope we give "mop up duty" to the 3rd string QB (Munns, Hill or Olsen) to give him experience.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 5, 2012 9:42 a.m.

RE: Otis Spurlock- Ogden, UT: "I smell a BCS Bowl this year. Let's start printing the shirts!"

Ahhhh, college football is back in the news. So nice to hear from him-- said w/ tongue firmly inserted in cheek! :-)

• BoiseSuperBlue Mars University, Mars
    March 5, 2012 10:00 a.m.

BYU still has a football team?

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Lesson 1 on morning 1 of practice -

Teach team not to quit.

• 61Cougar Seattle, Wa
    March 5, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Article: "I'm not only excited that it's a senior, but I'm excited that it's Riley," Mendenhall said."

Who else outside of USU or Montana would be excited to have Sunshine as their starting QB? I'm afraid Bronco's hyperbole is just another not-so-veiled jab at Heaps and Heaps' departure from the program. For a coach who seems to inject as much religion into the process as Bronco does, I find it odd that rather than leaving the ninety and nine and going after the one, Bronco was happy to say, "Good luck, and good riddance" to the one who lost his way.

Whatever his motivation there, Bronco and company seem happy to have kissed goodbye the potential for greatness in the QB position for a known entity with limited abilities--leaving fans to look forward to an 8-4 season at best with 7-5 a real possibility.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 5, 2012 10:49 a.m.

So. Cal Reader

I can understand your point of view, but on day #1 of Spring practice, I would be more concerned if he already had his mind made up about everything.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    March 5, 2012 11:53 a.m.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    March 5, 2012 1:15 p.m.

A lot of Utah fan comments now that basketball is finally over. Utah basketball was like a very sick dog this past year. You know you need to put it down but you hope maybe things will get better. It can't get worse can it? But it does. Finally, you realize that its time. Well, now its over and like the owner of that sad dog, you all need to vent. We understand.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 5, 2012 1:20 p.m.

Just out of curiosity, while I know certain coaches on every team go out and actively recruit new players, what do the other coaches do during the interim between the bowl games and spring practice?

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2012 1:25 p.m.

NOW it feels like Spring! Go Cougars!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 5, 2012 1:27 p.m.

I'm done with pre-season hype. All we ever hear about is how great BYU is going to be and it never pans out. I love my cougs and I always will and I have faith they can be good. However, they haven't proven to me that they can be great yet. The national championship/BCS talk needs to end, it really does.

Stop talking and start doing. I'm out.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    March 5, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Glad you're out CougarClaws because you seem to be the only one who is talking NC & BCS, besides a few insecure Ute fans.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    March 5, 2012 2:53 p.m.

I love that we have the opportunity to talk football already. My hoops team gave me nothing to talk about it but they will get better. Say what you will about hoops. It will turn around.

"Cougars expect upperclassmen to lead team to success". Isn't that the same headline every
    year?

Time to get it started. I want to "liken" Bronco to Stu Morrill. They play a lot of nobodies on their schedule in order to keep the boosters happy with wins and throw in a few tougher games and the team is usually not ready for quicker, more athletic teams. In Logan, 24 wins keeps your job in hoops and 9 wins keeps your football job in Provo. So.... survival states you play a lot of nobodies. DONE

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 5, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Cougar Claws,
    "and it never pans out?"

Not many teams have won more games than BYU in the past five to twenty five years.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 5, 2012 3:14 p.m.

61Cougar
    Seattle, Wa

Can't wait for Whitt's "hyperbole" when he comes out and touts Wynnie as at 100% and Hays ready to back him up. While Brian Johnson will have wisdom beyond his years leading them to an NC!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 5, 2012 3:21 p.m.

PAC12Fan

"So.... survival states you play a lot of nobodies. DONE"
    Utes are getting this down pat as well. List of nobodies:
    CU
    Arizona
    Wazzooo
    ASU
    OSU
    Pitt
    UCLA
    Montana High

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    March 5, 2012 3:39 p.m.

Seniors, really? The senior quarterback that it Bronco's favorite can't pass and is subject to pocket panic leading to fumbles and wild thowing. Senior running backs...may Bronco's pet can do that too because there is no one else. We've learned that Bronco places no value on talent. He's one of the boys...not a leader. I've held tickets for 25 years, but I'll attend no more games while Riley is playing.

• ClassyUte SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    March 5, 2012 4:38 p.m.

Jarka-

Add BYU to that list of nobodies.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    March 5, 2012 4:43 p.m.

"Jarka-

Add BYU to that list of nobodies."

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    March 5, 2012 4:52 p.m.

"But ClassyUte, BYU was Utah's signature win in 2011. Take that away and they didn't have any meaningful regular season wins!"

What was BYU's signature win during the regular season in 2011?

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 5, 2012 5:00 p.m.

ClassyUte

OSU 3-9
    CU 3-10
    Wazzooo 4-8
    UCLA 6-8
    ASU 6-7
    Zonz 4-8
    BYU 10-3 ranked, yep a nobody. But I suspect you'll spin the other pathetic teams as Pac powerhouses.
    And Montana High was 10-3 but they got blasted by Sam Houston State 49-13 so yes they are a nobody.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 5, 2012 5:02 p.m.

DevilishUte

So what was the Utes signature loss of 2011?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 5, 2012 5:07 p.m.

ClassyUte: "Add BYU to that list of nobodies."

Touche'! Nice one. After last year's debacle, I can't say we don't deserve that comment. Maybe we'll turn it around this year. . .

There is no question Bronco has a man-crush on Riley, but the truth is, Heaps was not nearly the talent that many of the Cougar faithful were led to believe. I am definitely one who believes the team is better with Nelson at the helm.

I have on reliable information that Taysom Hill was told that the #2 QB position is up for grabs--wide open competition, and he was not asked to redshirt this coming year. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

• ClassyUte SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    March 5, 2012 5:40 p.m.

Devilish- BYU's signature win was Tulsa. Woo hoo.

Riverton Coug- If BYU was as good as BYU fans made them out to be last year, we beat God's gift to football by 44 points. That's a big fat John Hancock win if i've ever seen one.

Jarka- Well, we didn't lose to anyone by 44 points last year, so that's a tough one.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    March 5, 2012 7:39 p.m.

I'm curious-has BYU beat a team finishing the season with a top 25 ranking during the BCS era?

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    March 6, 2012 10:57 a.m.

"Not completely convinced who will get my vote in November, I am holding out hope that Roscoe will throw his hat into the mix. Although sometimes shaky and unsure in his decision-making, Roscoe does have some distinct advantages. 1) He has a memorable name 2) He has hundreds, if not thousands, of t-shirts that could quickly be modified to include his campaign slogan "Quest For Election."

A straw poll was taken down at the creamery and Roscoe only garnered 38% of the vote. Apparently, there is some concern about whether he will wear frumpy, gray slogan t's in the Oval Office. Others wonder whether he will ask Senators to line up in 3-point stances and sprint out onto the legislative floor.

• baller Buena Vista, USA, VA
    March 6, 2012 6:56 p.m.

My prediction-
    BYU goes 12-1 (with an overtime loss to Georgia Tech)and plays in BCS bowl. Like this if ou agree.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 8, 2012 7:18 p.m.

Otis

You guys already have 'Omaha or Bust' baseball shirts.