U.S. & World

Obama peddles modest American dream

Comments

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 1:14 a.m.

'He's focused less on a lofty vision for overcoming divisions and remaking Washington, and more on the most basic building blocks of middle-class economic security: a job, a house, a college education for the kids, health care, money for retirement.' - Article

But...Obama!

I already have a dream.

** Mitt Romney: Corporations are people...my friend - By Phillip Elliot - AP - Published by DSNews 08/11/11

I'm going to be a corporation when I grow up. :)

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 7:26 a.m.

This man has already punished and destroyed America with his socialistic policies. No more can a person be successful without being super taxed, no more can I get my student loans without the permission of the government, no more do people have to take responsibility for their poor living choices because the government will now pay for their food, bills, and healthcare.
    The American dream is dead as long as this man is in the Oval Office.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 21, 2012 7:42 a.m.

America is in steep decline morally, economically and culturally, lead by the "hope and change" man. This next election (November) is the last exit off the Obama highway to Greece!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 8:22 a.m.

I would say this is an editorial page piece. What it says is not what I'm hearing. The President was handed the worst mess since Hoover handed power to FDR. What's worse is that it was more than the economy. We came off an era of unrepentant warriors, torturers and violators of our rights under the Constitution. Our position in the world is being brought back and the era of oppression is over. President Obama is working to restore our nation to true greatness, not one which has lost its moral compass.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 8:31 a.m.

his lofty dreams have become our living nightmares. the guy has got to go.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 9:27 a.m.

'No more can a person be successful without being super taxed...' - TOO | 7:26 a.m. Feb. 21, 2012

Taxes are the lowest since the 1950's.

** Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950' - By Dennis Cauchon - USA Today - 05/02/2010

What taxes have you seen...

increased?

** Hatch, Republicans challenge tax cut expiration' - By Becky Bruce - Deseret News - 12/01/10

WASHINGTON, D.C. Republicans in the U.S. Senate are drawing a line in the virtual sand, vowing to keep all legislation off the Senate floor unless Congress extends the Bush-era tax cuts... - Article

Nothing.

This is just another tag line, in spite of, the reality we face.

Which is that Mitt Romney pays just 14% in taxes...

** Romney paid $3M in federal income tax in 2010' - By Stephen Braun - AP - Published by DSNews - 01/24/12

'At the same time, Romney gave nearly $3 million to charity about half of that amount to the Mormon Church which helped LOWER his effective tax rate to a modest 14 percent... article

Which is probably LOWER taxes, than what you pay.

I KNOW it is lower taxes, than what I pay!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 9:39 a.m.

Well, the business community is thriving:

"Breaking news alert: Dow Jones industrial average crosses 13,000 for first time since May 2008."

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 10:40 a.m.

Pagan,
    At the beginning of last year, my taxes went from 10% to 15% because I wasn't married. Gas prices have gone through the roof. I make just over minimum wage, go to school, PAY for my school, and now that I am married, have a wife to support as well. He has absolutely destroyed my dream.

Mitt Romney paid 14% capital gains taxes. Apparently you don't know what that means. He had already paid taxes on his income, then he invested, then he had to pay more taxes. He got double taxed. You make it sound like he pays absolutely no taxes.
    You liberals are so hypocritical. You always bash Bush for doubling the debt and spending 4 trillion in 8 years, yet you seem not to be bothered in the least that Obama has spent 5 Trillion in 3 years.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2012 11:47 a.m.

'Pagan,
    At the beginning of last year, my taxes went from 10% to 15% because I wasn't married. - TOO | 10:40 a.m. Feb. 21, 2012

I'm sorry.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for you?

I am factually DENIED the ability to get married....

and GET tax breaks for marriage!

** Marriage an important key to avoiding poverty' - By Jennifer A. Marshall, The Heritage Foundation - Published by DSnews - 10/17/10

There.

I didn't need to resort to insults, and call you a...

hypocirte.

Wanna talk about debt?

Bush, doubled the national debt.

Obama, has not.

Not amount of spin will make this any less true.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 21, 2012 12:05 p.m.

Obama trying to peddle his baloney to America by telling us we need his Obamacare so we don't go bankrupt if we get sick. The IRS has bankrupted more Americans than getting sick ever has. Who is going to protect our income from Obama?