Chris Paul slices and dices Jazz in 107-105 win

Comments

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 11:46 p.m.

Dear Coach Corbin:

PLEASE teach your team how to make free throws. You make half the free throws your team missed tonight, you win the game.

Thanks,
    Jazz Nation

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2012 11:57 p.m.

Now the Jazz are finding out what it means to NOT have a superstar.

Was there one in last year's draft? Who knows, but Kanter isn't one and doesn't look like he'll be one any time soon.

Is the trade deadline past? Harris is a dud at PG. Has no clue how to run a team.

When Barkley recently said the Jazz won't make the playoffs for a few more years, I didn't agree with him at the time. Now I'm beginning to. This team just doesn't have a go-to guy. Can't win close games consistently without one.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:23 a.m.

Observations from tonight's game:

On Griffin
    1- He is incredibly athletic
    2a- I've never seen someone with such a limited offensive arsenal score so many points. His only real move is catch-on-the-move, heading-straight-to-the-hole
    2b- Thanks to Chris Paul, he gets the ball heading-straight-to-the-hole
    3- He is actually kind-of soft an whiney

On the Jazz
    1- The Jazz are softer than Griffin. Never knocked Griffin off his line to the basket one single time. Never knocked him down. Not once.
    2- Griffin would never have scored 30+ against the Bird Celtics, the Magic Lakers, the Malone Jazz, the Maurice Lucas Blazers, the Detroit Bad Boys, or any team Dennis Rodman played on. They would've point a body on him, and floor burns on his body.
    3- I would've liked to have seen Favors and Kanter on the same time as Griffin. I suspect he would've gotten roughed up more.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:37 a.m.

There is merit in not a GO TO guy. However, AJ is closest to be able and fill this role. I thought he was not fed the rock enough in the 4th Quarter. The Jazz 3 point Defense for the most part ok with recognition. However, there were some breakdowns with Chris Paul. Shame tough loss. Kanter, Gordon and Favors had good games. Favors did not play Griffin badly, he certainly dominated Paul Milsap. The fact is the missed free throws. ALso the calls that all went the Clippers way. In particular the acting job by Blake Griffin in the final minute when they called the stupid foul. The Jazz played hard. It was a good game. The problem is more often than not the Starting Point position. Like the Lakers when lose usually poor point play. Devon Harris is a nice guy. I do not expect DWIL. However, this position could cost us the playoffs. That is with an erratic shot, average defender, shaky jumper and foul shooter.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:45 a.m.

Also a decision I scratched my noggin with (NOT MENTIONED) was the foul that put Devon on the line with I think like 5 seconds to go. The score was 105-103 Denver. In a decision, that I clearly do not get, Corbin ordered Harris to make 2nd Free Throw. Now, the Jazz had no more Timeouts or even a 30 to move the ball to 1/2 court. So of course, Billups allowed to catch the inbound and buries 2 more Free Throws. Now the Jazz trail 107-104 and need a 3 with like 3 Seconds with. So basically, I reported on Des NEws Chat, the Jazz would basically have time to heave a 1.2 Court shot. There were no CHRISTIAN LAETTNER moments. You also figured the Clips would foul so we could not even get the shot off. Sure enough that is what happened. If I remember Miles was fouled. Made the 1st, missed 2nd then on purpose...Problem time ran out and we lose....Now we need these next 2 games badly.....

• ohplease springfield, il
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:28 a.m.

In his entire career, Chris Paul has never once come close to putting up 30 plus points on Deron
    Williams!

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:26 a.m.

I'm not worried. The Jazz are leaps and bounds ahead of where most people predicted them at the beginning of the season. They should be right there when playoffs roll around. Fun to watch!

• ThatsSoUtah Fredericksburg, VA
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:45 a.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

The Jazz may not make the playoffs this year, but I think they have a good chance next year. They'd have a much better chance this year if the west wasn't so stacked with awesome teams. There are sub .500 teams making it to the playoffs in the east and there's not a chance of that in the west. How well the Jazz are playing without a superstar makes me believe that they could go from good to very good with minimal roster changes. They are extremely close to being a pretty dang good team.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:11 a.m.

Time for the Jazz to get serious about a point guard.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:15 a.m.

The call at the end of the game on Millsap was questionable, but there were a few fouls in the first half against CP3 that weren't called and should have been. It wasn't the officiating that killed the Jazz.

Miles said "We put ourselves in a position to win the game." I would argue that they put themselves in a position to lose it. How does an entire team shoot that poorly from the free throw line? They're bad enough I expect teams to adopt a Hack-a-Jazz strategy any day now.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:45 a.m.

Tough loss. I was at the game. Playoff atmosphere. The energy in the arena was incredible. There was even a fist fight between a Jazz and a "Clippers fan" Sorry but do Clippers fans exist? A bunch of band wagoners who cannot name for than 4 players on the roster. Anyhow, here are my thoughts:

1-Missed foul shots got them again
    2-The Jazz built a 10 point lead, and then became jumpshot happy
    3-That charge on Millsap was ridiculous at the end, Griffin was flopping back before any contact even occurred.
    4-I cannot fault the Jazz effort, they brought it, they just played a good team. It is weird to say that about the Clippers
    5-Where does Chris Paul get off hitting so many jumpers?, Great point guard but has never been a great shooter
    6-Big mistake by Jefferson giving Griffin the and 1 at the end

Overall a good game, both teams wanted it and played like they wanted it. All I ask as a Jazz fan is for the effort, to be competitive, and grow as much this year as possible. More experience for the future. GO JAZZ!

• rabbit1 delta, ut
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:42 a.m.

why do jazz fans freak out so bad about losing a great game. it was a close hard fought battle. we should be happy we are doing so well in a season that when most so called experts said the jazz would be at the bottom of the west. yes foul shots hurt us. chris paul shot the ball real well last night and guess what. thats sports. the jazz played thier hearts out and so did the clippers and it was a great game. too bad this time the jazz came up just short.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Another good game from our Jazz team, effort and energy was there for the most part all night. Harris really pushed the ball in the first half, but slowed down too much the 2nd. Howards shot just isn't there yet but it will come soon. The only negative as I seen it was free throw shooting. Bounce right back tonight guys.

• QBU OREM, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:12 a.m.

Refs as good as gave the game to the clippers with the charge called on Millsap because of Griffin's flop, Millsap made the layup, instead it goes the other way and the clips hit a jumper. 4 point swing. Huge call. You have to let them play in a game like that. Don't let a "superstar" take the easy way out. Make them earn it. Thats what truly makes a superstar.
    Aside from that, we still could have won the game with free throws and defensive rebounds. the clips got way too many 2nd and 3rd opportunities late in the game. You cant stop a team like that 2 and 3 times/possesion

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:22 a.m.

The Jazz need to things to be a legit contender:

1- A great point guard (ironic, huh!)
    2- A truly rough-and-tumble tough guy with a big body. Milsap is mentally tough, but doesn't have the body to back it up. Jefferson doesn't push anyone around.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:24 a.m.

Great game to watch, tough game for the Jazz to lose. The two biggest things to me that could be the reasons we lost were free throw shooting (terrible) and allowing the clippers so many 2nd chance opportunities, also terrible. Alot of good things to be happy about though, Haywards toughness was good, Favors 2nd quarter was good, Miles was OK, Big Al was tough, played well, the whole team played hard and tough, that is a good thing. This young team is fun to watch, I usually really like it when Favors and Kanter come in, I think the future with those two bigs is bright, they will only get better. Injuries could hurt us tonight. The team is young but there is pretty good depth and talent. Go Jazz.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:54 a.m.

This team is definitely giving off "mixed signals". Whenever the "power pups" are in the game the (+-) ratio goes way up. That could be because the other team is also playing their second team. Both are very good rebounders. There is no doubt of big problems at point guard. There is also no doubt that Watson is playing way better than Harris but is still below the caliber of Paul. The "heart of the squad" is Millsap. Jefferson shoots like he a "popcorn machine" Numbers say that "Sap" doesn't get the ball. Eventually, Jefferson has to go to make room for the "junior Jazz". The Jazz have a rough 15 game schedule in February with 9 road games. At the end of that time, a lot more will be known and then it's trade time.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:22 a.m.

Harris is at best an undersized 2 who cannot defend his own shadow; he is weak at the point and brings everyone else down to his level. Watson is far better at the point, but still only a good backup. Id like to see the Jazz try Hayward at the point; he passes well, is smart, and at least tries to defend.

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:54 a.m.

While there were a few frustrations (backcourt that can't make free throws or outside shots being a continuing concern), you have to admit that the game was fun to watch, and most games this team is not only fun to watch, but exceeds expectations.
    I particularly love watching Favors and Kanter regularly box out and make most, if not all, of their FTs. I wish Kanter would jump to play above the rim, but his moves and muscling under the basket are impressive.
    At the beginning of the season, Harris said that Corbin had told him that how well the team did this year in large part depended on him. Too true.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Josh Howard was useless last night. Why did Jerry Jr. play him so many minutes? CJ should have gotten the bulk of the minutes and the Jazz would have easily won that game. Instead he plays Howard and Hayward way too many minutes with little production. I guess Corbin likes the letter "H".

Millsap got outplayed by Griffen big time. Millsap was a step slow all night on defense. I like Kanter and Favors. They play great defense and Favors has good offensive moves, he was just shooting short last night.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:43 p.m.

I could not be any more happy than right now... Way to go Lak'' Clippers? My bad just great to see the Jazz lose is all.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:38 p.m.

@ rabbit1

Couldn't agree more. Teams lose. It happens in the NBA. Milwaukee beat Miami last night.

@ rational

Couldn't disagree more. Other than Gasol, Griffin, Love. Name 5 power forwards in the league better than Millsap. I would be interested to see that. I am not even convinced that Bosh is better, I think he is a bigger name, but he is soft.

Now Jazz fans. again, I tell you, I was at the game. It was a playoff atmosphere. The Jazz played hard. The fans were into it. The Jazz lost a close one. Here are some interesting stats:

-The Jazz gave up 12 offensive rebounds, the last one Williams got really hurt.
    -The Jazz only had 10 turnovers
    -The Jazz were outrebounded 50-35
    -The Jazz missed 10 free throws

You see where the game was lost. Free throws and rebounds. Despite the rebound the Jazz played hard. Credit the Clippers were their effort too. It's not like the Toronto game where the Jazz let up, the Clippers are a quality team and they played hard.

Let's hope the Jazz bounce back tongiht, and avenge the home loss to the Lakers on Saturday. GO JAZZ!

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:40 p.m.

I had a few typos in my last post. Sorry, went a little too fast.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:24 p.m.

@ CJ miles,
    Your posts are pretty predictable "Miles should be playing more minutes instead of Hayward". I wouldn't mind seeing Miles get more minutes, but not at the expense of Hayward's time. Miles has been inconsistent for 7 years now, 7 Years!! And yet you're real forgiving there, but Hayward is just in his 2nd year and if he has an off night you're ready to bench him and give Miles his starting spot. I'm seeing some real development in Hayward and last night he showed some toughness and grit I've never seen in Miles. I like Miles and hope he truly becomes a great player because that makes the Jazz better, but I'm sure willing to give Hayward the time he needs to become a great player. Hopefully it won't take 7 years.

• fortydam OREM, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:26 p.m.

WhatsInItForMe! Kanter was a great pick. He isn't an instant superstar, and I doubt you will ever get one to stay in Utah. The days of Karl and John are gone. Kanter will be a force in the league, and if he was in the game we might not have had six dunks in a row to start the game. AJ is the worst defender on the team, maybe in the conference. He pulls is hands up on every defensive play, even if he is five feet away to indicate he didn't foul. At least twelve times I replayed several plays to my wife, where he didn't rotate at all on the pick and roll. Everyone scores on him, and if you pay attention, teams go right to the bucket when he is in the game. I know he is a gifted offensive player, but he is a huge liability on defense. What good are you if everyone on the team produces less because you cannot/will not pass. Watch everyone stop moving when he gets the ball. And scoring fifty a night doesn't help a bit if you give up sixty.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:36 p.m.

@fortydam

Agreed. Kanter was a great pick. He is 19. Kobe averaged like 7 points when he was 18, and was airballing shots. Kanter need to go up stronger and finish more, but he is a beast on the boards and a good defender. Any offense at this point is gravy.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:05 p.m.

@fortydam
    You showed several replays to your wife to point out AJ didn't rotate. And she sat through that! My wife would have told me to take a hike if I tried that. You've got a good woman there my brother:)

• TerryHaimes Sturgis, MS
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:26 p.m.

Did anybody really practice shooting free throws? I think the Jazz was remembering the last game, got surprised, found themselves in a dog fight, Corbin got shook and played people too long at a time. Jefferson got tired and started short arming. The ball didn't swing to Heyward like it should have. Millsaps got screwed by the officials but he was flatfooted in the early dunkathon.

I disagree with Genessy's statement that putting Heyward on Paul didn't work, true Paul hit a jump shot but Heyward stopped the running free in the middle and made Paul work for the shot he got. Remember Heyward is the one that cooled Moe Williams off.

If the Jazz can figure out how to play against the big front lines they will not only make the playoffs but make a run.

• fortydam OREM, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:29 p.m.

redcliffs.. I had to give her a glass of wine, and she drinks maybe twice a year. It's the only way she will sit down and watch sports with me. Now ask me why a guy would want that anyway! Maybe I'm the one that needs the wine!

I think AJ would be great trade bait for a good point guard. Let Kanter/Favors/Millsap take his shots. There are better big men (forwards) coming out of this years draft, then there are point guards. I say use the trade exception, or make the trade. If we're in this to rebuild, then lets do it all the way. With Kanters and Favors defense, the offset in offense will be a wash. They may need to D league a big guy to fill in for heavy foul nights. The Jazz only have until the trade deadline to make a decision on Tinsley before his contract becomes final. I still expect the Jazz to move before then on some kind of trade.

Anybody read the new team rule, 100 free throws a day in practice per game miss by each player.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:48 p.m.

Okay, everyone. I'm still not sold on Kanter. I see him as an occasional All-Star, but never a superstar. There's a real difference between those two monikers. Not all All-Stars are superstars.

I do like Kanter, and am okay with him being drafted because there really wasn't any other obvious future superstar big man available then. I hope he really pans out for the Jazz. But I don't think he'll get much past being an All-Star.

Until the Jazz get a PG that can run the team, with Earl backing him up, and Hayward settles in at the 2 spot (his best and most natural position as a pro), the Jazz' playoff hopes are meager.

Whatever it takes in filling the 3, 4, and 5 spots to make those 1 & 2 guard positions work that way is what the Jazz need to do.

Getting a superstar at either the point or a front line position is a must if the Jazz ever expect to make it to the finals again.

I still enjoy following the Jazz, and love watching the development of Hayward, Kanter, and Favors. But, it's tempered with the realization that this team isn't going very deep in the playoffs any time soon.