Family

Ender's Game hitting big screen with big names

Comments

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Jan. 22, 2012 12:01 p.m.

Cross your fingers!

• Lyle Springville, UT
    Jan. 22, 2012 1:49 p.m.

And cross your fingers that the movie is faithful to the book!

• JKayDS EULESS, TX
    Jan. 22, 2012 2:00 p.m.

This is REALLY GOOD news!
    I hope that they stay faithful to the books also and not make it really dark!
    It could be as good as the Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings movies if they play it right, especially if it is done in 3D.

Casting so far seems good.

Really looking forward to seeing them on the big screen.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:39 a.m.

SOOOOOO STOKED TO HEAR THIS!!!!

Awesome series, very creative, incredible read, and over-the-top movie potential. Even if they achieve half the movie this book merits, it will be great to see! And if they nail it, this could easily be the next Star Wars, as in series-long, block-buster success.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:57 a.m.

Woo Hoo!! I can't believe they didn't mention that Asa Butterfield (Hugo) is playing Ender. This appears to be a real project. DesNews doesn't let us post URLs, but if you search Google News for "ender's game movie" you'll see the casting call for extras in the New Orleans area, and the IMDB entry. Looks like filming begins next month.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Jan. 23, 2012 7:15 a.m.

@JKayDS;

How could they possibly avoid making this a dark movie?

Take a disturbed child with a traumatic childhood train him clandestinely to be used as a pawn to..... I won't ruin it for those who have not read the book.

I hope the movie is true to the book, too. I just can't see how they could make it the 'feel good hit of 2013'.

• utahprincipal801 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 8:08 a.m.

Wow, so excited! Can't wait to see this. Hopefully the script and casting will do this story justice!

• JKayDS EULESS, TX
    Jan. 23, 2012 9:14 a.m.

J-TX
    Thank you... yes, I am aware of what it is about as I also have read the series.

I just hope it gets a pg13 rating instead of an X. I also hope that it is in 3D - that would be soooo awesome.

And there are some good parts in it also.

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 10:01 a.m.

please please don't be another avatar the last airbender quality movie...

• Dayzd Salem, OR
    Jan. 23, 2012 10:58 a.m.

What is OSC's involvement?

• dferg Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 11:59 a.m.

After I read the cast list but before I saw the cast assignments, I said to myself the Harrison Ford would be a great Colonel Graff, and that Ben Kingsley would be a fantastic Mazer Rackham; both of them just fit those roles.

JKayDS, it wouldn't be rated X, as that rating hasn't existed for years; there is G, PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17. I can see of no concievable way that it would get an R or NC-17; most likely it will get a PG-13 rating for a little violence (such as when Ender and Bonzo fight in the shower) and simulated battle sequences.

This will be a fabulous movie - especially if as has been mentioned above, they stay as true to Orson's story as possible; hopefully he hasn't sold the story outright, and has - like Stephanie Meyer of the Twilight series - retained creative control over the script writing and production.

• MVH Farmington, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:10 p.m.

Please please please no 3D for this. Just let the fad die. The only good 3D will require an enormous budget that only a few releases can get: Avatar, The Hobbit, Prometheus. All the rest are 3D done on the cheap and ask higher ticket prices.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:22 p.m.

Battle simulations would be great in 3D.

I know they have gone through several screenwriters over the years. I really hope this goes over well and drives home the book's themes, sometimes hard to do when going from book to screen because of the sparser treatment of the storyline the screenwriter must do.

• iscorefilm Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Okay, so I'm addressing the ratings concerns and then sharing my own experience with the book.

Ratings- I HIGHLY doubt that Card would have allowed them to make this into an r-rated film. Even if he personally had no problem with it, I'm sure it wouldn't do well for him PR-wise. It would be a disaster for him; somehow I think he probably is smart enough to realize this.

Personally, ratings mean very little to me in comparison to content. I know plenty of PG13 films that should have been Rated-R and a few R that should have been PG13 (though fewer). I don't trust the MPAA to decide for me and there is no universal LDS rule for this either. The important thing is being informed and not accepting content that promotes what you don't accept. If ratings help you with that, great. For me, ratings misrepresent and I've been more offended by following them than not.

The book- My own experience was this... I read it after many people telling me that I should be the Ender expert telling them about it. I read, and about 30 or so pages before the end I said "This is stupid. It could have been amazing had he done these 4 or 5 things, but NO!" And of course, all those things happened in the last 30 pages. I love this book! lol (Still haven't read the others though, sadly)

• iscorefilm Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:38 p.m.

Wait, how does this article go over every other actor BESIDES Ender?

Asa Butterfield was brilliant in Hugo and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I've also enjoyed his performances in Merlin. The kid is great, he's the role, and no mention! lol, I'm just sayin... give the kid credit.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:57 p.m.

The people they picked are perfect! Asa butterfielf! He is exactly how I pictured ender.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 12:59 p.m.

I've read most of the Ender series and Ender's game at least 3-4 times over the past 20 years. I do hope that they stay somewhat loyal to the book, but even if they don't there will still be plenty of new OSC fans as a result. Odd, but I do hope they can depict the Battle Room action appropriately.

• ustraveler Orem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 1:26 p.m.

I also hope they stay true to the book but anyone who follows OSC on his own site will know that he retains creative control, loves his entertainment attorney, and will play a role in it. That said, OSC has also noted on many occasions that a book cannot be a movie and vice-versa. The two mediums demand different approaches and inevitably, some things will be left out of the book.

I'm not too worried. It sounds like it will be a great movie.

• Michael De Groote
    Jan. 23, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I think Harrison Ford is a great actor, but isn't he a bit too old to play Ender?

• Southern California Redondo Beach, CA
    Jan. 23, 2012 2:24 p.m.

I agree with MVH -- PLEASE do not do 3-D. Don't ruin it!

• Mimi Venice, CA
    Jan. 23, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing this movie. I hope the movie is as true to its book as the Harry Potter series was.

Is that Harrison Ford's drivers license photo?

• ThoughtfulTeen Salem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 3:24 p.m.

You know, most of the folks I know don't think "When are they going to make this into a movie?" they think "Please no, this book was too awesome for them to mess it up!" or you get the resigned sighs.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    Jan. 23, 2012 3:32 p.m.

I thought it was intragalactic within our galaxy; not intergalactic which is going to another galaxy.

The problems will be the barracks and showers. If they go for skin they'll lose the PG-13 and that will be a loss as it wasn't part of the story and not needed.

If they go for special effects it'll be just a shoot'em up with little to connect the "action" scenes.

Either of these options will be bad. Both worse.

• windsor City, Ut
    Jan. 23, 2012 3:52 p.m.

Havent read the books but Gregg Weber's post above about skin in the showers took my mind right to Penn State. I'm hoping thats way off base.

• iscorefilm Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 4:44 p.m.

I think all these 3D worry-warts must not know that much about film. Just because it's shot in 3D doesn't mean it HAS to be viewed in 3D. There will always be non-3D showings and you can always view it at home on a regular screen. For those that like 3D, let them have it. All the complaining is for nothing, cause 3D doesn't mean you have to do it. I almost always don't like 3D myself, but I never complain about it cause there's just no point.

• duggity Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 23, 2012 4:47 p.m.

I think the most difficult character to cast will be Bean. Especially considering the outrigger books. And Windsor; nothing like the penn state thing. To say more would be a spoiler, but it's more of a fight thing between students.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 23, 2012 8:06 p.m.

I hope they stay much closer to the book than LotR did. Specifically I hope they leave Ender at the age he is in the book. I know this has been one of Card's main fears, that if made into a movie Ender would be recast about 10 years older, which just would not work. No teenager would have trusted the military establishment so.

Kingsley is a really good choice for his projected role.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 23, 2012 8:09 p.m.

I would say Asa Butterfield is too old to play ender. He will be 15 very soon. Ender is significantly younger than that. This fact causes fear and trepidation, even if they try to cast Butterfield as younger than he is.

• dferg Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 2:01 a.m.

I think Jared Gilmore, the kid who plays "Henry" on the TV show "Once Upon A Time", would fit the Bean role well. Although he'll be 12 in May (and plays a 10-year-old on the show), he has the rather short and slight stature that I've always pictured Bean as having. As for Asa Butterfield, even though he'll be 15 in April, he also seems to have that short-and-slight stature that Ender is descibed as having.

I'm sure for the 6-year-old Ender, where the book starts, there will be a different actor playing the role; Asa Butterfield will likely take the role after being at Battle School for awhile, which is probably where the bulk of the movie will focus. And as to the complaints of why he wasn't mentioned in this article, the reason is because that was a story reported several weeks ago; this one is merely to announce additional roles that have been cast. I'm sure it was not intended as a slight to Asa.

• dferg Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 2:07 a.m.

When the movie comes out, the key for viewers who have read the book will be not to expect it to tell then entire story; that is impossible unless the film is six (or more) hours long. I discovered that bit of wisdom after seeing "The Hunt For Red October" for the first time over 20 years ago; I ruined the showing for myself by being upset that so much was left out of the movie!

In short, whomever writes the screenplay will have to take that into account. I'm hopeful, as others who have commented, that Card will have a role in adapting the book for the screen, as well as retaining a fair amount of creative control. This should be fun; I look forward to it's debut.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:11 a.m.

This is great. I can now pencil in another movie to avoid at all costs.