Utah

University of Utah hires within, names David Pershing president

Comments

• COGITOERGONIHILSVM Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 20, 2012 4:25 p.m.

I'll tell ya what, if his wisdom and administrative qualities even approximate the girth of his beard, why, we're in for a great few years! Go Utes!

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 5:29 p.m.

Glad they chose the local guy.

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 5:46 p.m.

He resembles the old guy from Jurassic Park! That is a good omen!

• Norman Wright Provo, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Congratulations on your appointment Dr. Pershing from your friends at the Woodbury School of Business.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 6:57 p.m.

I'm glad they went with the candidate that was already involved in the institution. He seems like a very accomplished and driven man. I hope he helps continue to launch Utah into a bright future.

He has been at the U since '77 and been in a leadership position for the last 14 years, has a doctorate in Chemical Engineering (one of the hardest degrees you can obtain), was the dean for the College of Engineering, has 5 patents, helped win $60 million in research grants, and I'm sure that's only some of his accomplishments. I feel confident in his abilities and hope he helps the University of Utah excel to the next level. Congratulations Dr. Pershing.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:00 p.m.

Congrats, Dr. Pershing.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:09 p.m.

"Pershing, 63, said that as president, he plans to make undergraduate education a 'top priority.'"
    ------------
    I hope he keeps his word and that he's successful.

The UofU had needed to place more emphasis on their undergraduate courses for decades.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Jan. 21, 2012 2:41 a.m.

I attended a class he taught on heat transfer and I liked him. He was a good teacher and he made the class fun. Best wishes to him.

• Forrest Natchitoches, LA
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Merry Christmas, U of U!

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 1:47 p.m.

I looked at the photos that accompany this article. There are no students.

• WillTheWolf SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Nice move by the University to choose someone who already has a vested interest in the University and is already part of the local community. Other state run universities back east should learn a lot from this kind of wisdom I am sure (including my own alma mater University of Illinois). I wish him and the University a long and successful tenure as President.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:05 p.m.

I suspect that the UofU's low graduating rate is related to many students leaving for two years to serve LDS missions. While in theory this should not put them over 6 years, timing issues and some programs being in reality more than 4-year programs do have effects.

At my own alma mater, Wayne State Univeristy, they wish their 10-year graduation rate was as high as UofU's six-year rate.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Is the whole "graduate in 4 years" over-emphasized?

Many, many students work full-time and go to school part-time. (With the employer paying the tuition.) I see nothing wrong with this model. In fact, I suspect they get a much better education when their learning has a very heavy experience component to it.