BYU football: Cougar commit Dylan Collie's senior year takes an unexpected turn

Comments

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2012 3:37 p.m.

What a cute story.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 10, 2012 3:51 p.m.

It's still god to be a Cougar Fan! (Even if the TUN says we and the Poles don't matter :)

Jan. 10, 2012 3:59 p.m.

DevilishUte,

So when will you add 'Troll' to the end of your username? Now that would be cute.

• murray19 Murray, UT
    Jan. 10, 2012 4:00 p.m.

What a stupid title and story. Who cares if he played some back-up QB? Did any other commit ever fill in at other positions inquiring minds want to know?

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    Jan. 10, 2012 4:04 p.m.

If he is even half as good as his brother Austin, he will be fun to watch in Cougar Blue.

• QBU OREM, UT
    Jan. 10, 2012 4:17 p.m.

@DevilishUte
    It must have been if you took the time to read it. Or maybe that's your BYU obsession? Which one would you like to admit to?

• vesparider Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 10, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Good stuff GMan.

I wasn't aware that Dylan played qb this year. Good to know he's got a semblance of an arm. Austin was used a little as a wildcat qb his senior year.

One correction is that Austin married Jordan's sister and therefor Dylan and Jordan are not brothers in law. Their two families are very close though. I believe Jordan's and Dylan's dads were teammates/roommates while at BYU in the early 80's.

• OregonCougarFan Keizer, OR
    Jan. 10, 2012 7:35 p.m.

@ Murray19 - who forced you to read the article?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 10, 2012 8:27 p.m.

We have some great commits for 2012, and Dylan is one of them. Now I'll be looking for him to throw a flea flicker on a WR double reverse. LoL

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Jan. 10, 2012 10:07 p.m.

Murray 19: Apparently you care, You read the article and commented on it it.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Jan. 11, 2012 6:04 a.m.

Did anyone tell Collie that BYU is "WAC" Champions?!

• North Summit 05 Coalville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 6:45 a.m.

Ute fans are you just a little jealous Byu has so many players in the qb department or that have played qb Utah should use this past season as a lesson learned as Byu did when we had so many qb's go down with injuries recruit heavy on that position every year

• murray19 Murray, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:04 a.m.

Colie switches to QB? Sounded like something more than for 2 games he filled in at QB. A bit different that a real position change.

Jan. 11, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Re: murray19,

Such a stupid story that you commented twice? 16 hours apart? Me thinks that someone has a BYU obsession.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:38 a.m.

re: Honor Code
    "Did anyone tell Collie that BYU is "WAC" Champions?!"

Are you still stuck in the last century, when BYU regularly won the WAC Championship and Utah was a cellar dwellar in the WAC? Hopefully, remembering how U used to rank in the WAC will help U deal with your new role in the PAC. Maybe U should have stayed in the MWC. That was the only respectable decade of Ute football.

I'm pretty sure Collie knows who is the only Top 25 FB team in the state of Utah.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:46 a.m.

Let im play quarterback at BYU, he's bound to be better then Nelson.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Just another weapen we might use him to qb and pass the ball to our primary qb.

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:31 a.m.

"Did anyone tell Collie that BYU is "WAC" Champions?! "

You know, that's what makes BYU great. We dont' have to define ourselves on just two championship wins. It's about football, it's about the game, it's about the tradition and history . . . something Utah will never understand. All you care about is being on top or your're worthless.

Proud to be a Cougar!!

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:56 a.m.

CougFaninTx: Did he or you see the game with Utah? what was it 54-10? Keep going on about football in the state of Utah. Scoreboard.

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 10:07 a.m.

so the question is...is he any good at quarterback?

• Carson Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Boyd K Packer would love this story.

• opinion 47 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:15 a.m.

I wish I had a time machine, I would not have wasted my time reading this non story.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:47 a.m.

re: davidutefan
    "Did he or you see the game with Utah? what was it 54-10? Keep going on about football in the state of Utah. Scoreboard"

It's about a season, not a game. I concede that Utah was the better team on September 17. But I think we both know who the better team was at the end of the season.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 12:13 p.m.

@ CougFaninTX | 11:47 a.m. Jan. 11, 2012
    Frisco, TX

" I concede that Utah was the better team on September 17. But I think we both know who the better team was at the end of the season."

Priceless.

Typical Cougar fan.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2012 12:31 p.m.

" But I think we both know who the better team was at the end of the season."

Yes, it is the same team that won on 9/17.

Jan. 11, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Re: 54-10

You got 54-10, that's all you wanted anyway, seeing how you made it your username. Live it, up, enjoy it, it's okay. But there is no doubt BYU was the better team at the end of the year. Ranked 25/26 in the major polls, ranked well ahead of Utah in every poll I could find, including the six computer polls used to determine the BCS rankings. Obviously the consensus of America and the College Football watching public from sea to shining sea is that BYU finished the season as a better team. Of course, I don't expect a Ute fan to give any credit to anything consensus regarding BYU, i.e. 1984 and Jimmer POY, but by failing to recognize these things only goes further to cement the Ute legacy as the Little Brother of the Wasatch Front and the true delusional fan.

Like I said, nothing to be ashamed of, you got 54-10 and you're in the Pac-12, the end-all be-all of everything Utah has ever aspired to. Enjoy it!

Jan. 11, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Re: DevilishUte Troll

"Yes, it is the same team that won on 9/17."

Funny how no one else outside the Ute bubble seems to agree with you, i.e. the polls, both human and computer.

Not even your coach agrees with you. How many votes did Utah get in the coaches poll? Zero? Doesn't Kyle have a vote? So he himself didn't even see Utah worthy of a #25 vote. Maybe you should give him a call and talk some sense into him.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 1:03 p.m.

Collie better learn to block down field - the skill he will need most at BYU. Certainly more than trying to catch wobbly passes.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2012 1:16 p.m.

giantfan,

If we are to believe the polls, then BYU is better than Utah (beat BYU by 44), Texas (beat BYU), Penn State (would beat BYU handily), USC (would CRUSH BYU), Auburn (would beat BYU).........

Think about it.

Jan. 11, 2012 1:25 p.m.

DevilishUte,

I have thought about it. Texas barely beat BYU in a home game early in the year. Since the Utah game, both BYU and Utah have gone in different directions, i.e. Utah got worse when it lost Wynn and BYU got better when it benched Heaps. As far as who would beat BYU and who wouldn't, that is certainly up for debate. I do agree with you, however, that USC would beat BYU. BYU is not ranked higher than USC in any poll that is allowed to rank them, by the way.

Jan. 11, 2012 2:40 p.m.

DevilishUte Troll,

Also, it should be noted, I don't believe BYU deserves a top-25 ranking. I believe they're somewhere about 28-32. I do believe they're a much better team than they were at the beginning of the year. Certainly better than they were Sept. 17. And if you really believe Utah was and is 44 points better than BYU, then why did they lose to Colorado? If Utah truly is 44 points better than BYU, they also shouldn't have lost to ASU, Cal, Wazzou or even USC. Fact of the matter is, 54-10 was not indicative of the strengths of the two teams on the field, just like 17-16 wasn't either. The results of the rest of the season bear that out for both teams. Sometimes teams play mediocre, sometimes poor and sometimes absolutely horrible. The horrible game for BYU was Sept. 17. The one for Utah was Nov. 25.

What's also interesting is BYU allowed their worst performance to happen against their bitter rival. Utah allowed it to happen when they had so much on the line with a potential Pac-12 Championship Game and even a possible a Rose Bowl berth.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2012 2:49 p.m.

"BYU is not ranked higher than USC in any poll that is allowed to rank them, by the way."

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Jan. 11, 2012 2:52 p.m.

'" But I think we both know who the better team was at the end of the season."

Yes, it is the same team that won on 9/17.'

Maybe so but, no one outside the state of Utah recognizes that...seems there is nothing a Ute can do for a break from the shadow...

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2012 3:15 p.m.

'" But I think we both know who the better team was at the end of the season."

Yes, it is the same team that won on 9/17.'

Maybe so but, no one outside the state of Utah recognizes"

You know who won. Aren't you in TX?

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Cougie fan's relax on who was the better team this year. What's obvious to everybody is that the Y beat nobody this year. The only time they played a decent team they lost. They did'nt progress through out the year. They just went from playing decent teams, to playing bottom dwellers in the WAC. Truth is we have no clue how good they were. Going off who their losses, and wins were against it say's they werent very good....but who knows for sure. They played too many bad teams to really know for sure.

Jan. 11, 2012 3:36 p.m.

DevilishUte Troll,

"So BYU weaseled its way into the top 25 in the USA Today poll because of extenuating cirsumstances and a JV schedule? Impressive (heavy on the sarcasm)."

I said in a previous post that I believe BYU does not deserve to be in the top-25. However, they "weaseled" their way into the rankings? How does a team do that? Isn't it the coaches that vote for that, including Kyle? Interesting in that format you think a team could some how wedge their way in if enough people didn't think they deserved it.

USC does not deserve to be ranked. They're on probation, or did you forget that? Or are you okay with a program cheating with no ramifications? You'd think a Ute would be all for them being on probation considering the chance it gave you this season to sniff a Pac-12 Championship.

"As for the Texas game, are you making the claim that BYU got better as the season went along, but Texas didn't?"

BYU definitely got better. I don't know about Texas, I didn't follow them closely or at all really. Maybe they did get worse. Utah sure seemed to.

Jan. 11, 2012 3:46 p.m.

"The only measure of who was actually better the Y or U. Is for those two teams to play which they did....54 - 10 I would say ends that discussion."

What a naive approach to analyzing two football teams. Don't quit your day job. I've asked this before and maybe a Ute could somehow man-up and explain it to me: If Utah was and is 44 points better than BYU then how did they possibly lose to Colorado? The 107th ranked team in the country? BYU played some bad competition, no doubt, but they didn't lose to anyone even remotely that bad. They played plenty of competition that bad but what did they do? Whether it was at home or on the road? Beat them.

• GoBanana PROVO, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 3:55 p.m.

I bet he would have been good enough to start at the U this year...

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 4:15 p.m.

I think the DNews prints article like this just to get the trolls from both sides going. The article wasn't very interesting but the comments are great. Pitchers and catchers report in a month.

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 4:42 p.m.

@GiantFan:
    In the most succinct way possible I will attempt to answer your question, although I know that you nor any other Cougar fan will stand convinced. You are correct, losing to a horrendous Colorado team was and is unacceptable. That, however, should not embolden you and others to start screaming about how the Utes got worse as the season went along. What it told me as I sat in the stands is that Utah underestimated the team from CU, and that CU had enough division 1 BCS talent to take every advantage. Although CU was a collectively horrendous team, their athletic prowess was and is heads above anything that the Y played all year outside of their games in which they lost. Save the rhetoric until your school actually beats the Utes again. Could be next year, or maybe not. The fact remains that the two schools played once this year and we all know how that turned out. I for one can't wait. If we win, we win, if we lose, we get to hear the Provo spin machine at work for yet another year, which is always extremely entertaining.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:19 p.m.

It's laughable that Ute fans seem to believe that Utah was better than BYU the whole season, and not just for that one game. They seem to think that a rematch would produce the same result. Newsflash: the NC game was a rematch, and it DIDN'T have the same result!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 5:38 p.m.

@mesoute

"Although CU was a collectively horrendous team, their athletic prowess was and is heads above anything that the Y played all year outside of their games in which they lost. Save the rhetoric until your school actually beats the Utes again."

I highly doubt colorado's "athletic prowess was and is heads above" Ole Miss's. Both are bad teams but colorado is the worst team in the 2nd to the worst bcs conference and hadn't won a road game in over 4 years until they worked utah over. Ole Miss is the worst team in the indisputably best conference in the country and simply had their worst year in quite some time. Then there is the unfortunate fact that BYU actually beat Ole Miss, ON THE ROAD, while utah actually lost to colorado, AT HOME.

Save your rhetoric until utah actually beats the worst team in their conference (outside of themselves of course) and hopefully they can at least do that at home.

LOL!

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 8:36 p.m.

To BYU fans

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 9:07 p.m.

So we got a receiver that can throw the ball a little as well. Hmm im sure Doman will take advantage of this and design some nice trick plays to allow Collie to throw some passes from time to time. Going to be fun to watch this kid over his four years at BYU.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 10:48 p.m.

No, 54-10, you are the priceless one!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:24 p.m.

"Do you think BYU will go into RES this year and come away with a win? I would love to see what you guys think."

UtahUte16

To answer your question, I honestly think it's possible. After all, most people were expecting BYU to win this last year, so anything can happen (although I hate to admit that in the rivalry game BYU tends to under-perform and Utah tends to over-perform). However, looking at 2010 and BYU should have won that game, despite it being at RES.

I don't know for sure who will win. It depends on whether the teams show up or not. Utah will certainly have an advantage with it being at home, but Riley Nelson has a funny way of winning close games despite his questionable QB skills.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2012 11:47 p.m.

DevilishUte Troll

"So BYU weaseled its way into the top 25 in the USA Today poll..."

It's laughable that a Utah troll would whine about USC's ineligibility clearing a spot for BYU to be ranked in the Top 25, when, if Utah hadn't laid an egg against Colorado, U would still be beating your chest about winning the PAC 12 South, even though USC was clearly the best team in your division.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 8:34 a.m.

phoenix,

Lot's of conjecture and hate in your post.

Please produce a quote from me that states that I think Utah is better than USC or that I would have "beaten my chest about winning the South." I'll save you some time and inform you that you won't find one. After ASU beat USC, I was hopeful that they would win the South and not have an asterisk next to their name. It seemed very possible and then the meltdown ensued.

Whether you're a Utah fan or not, going 8-5 in your first year of BCS play without your starting QB is good, but not great. I knew the sledding was going to be tough, having followed the PAC for several years before Utah became a part. In fact, if you good back and look I predicted that Utah would finish 7-5 on the season. That is a good, but not great start. I think they've built momentum heading into year 2 and what looks like a strong recruiting class (#29 on Rivals) and a lot of respect on the ESPN blog proves it.

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 11:15 a.m.

@ Duckhunter:

But . . .
    If . . .
    But again . . .
    If this had happened . . .
    Ever since that game . . .

Duck, two teams under consideration played each other in Provo, home of the Cougars this past season. What did the score board read at the final horn? That is all I am asking. I am not asking about games before nor after September 17th. I am not asking for any other response other than what the score board read at the end of the game in question.

Thank You.
    Again, if BYU beats the Utes, you have every right to disseminate your views and I for one will not speak in hypotheticals as to why the Cougars were victorious. Until that day, you would do well to remember what that score board said at the end of the game. Unless you were one of the many thousands to leave before the final seconds ticked away. But even then, I am sure you are aware of the final score.

Thanks

Jan. 12, 2012 11:54 a.m.

MESOUTE,

I love your use of the undefinable, unmeasureable, abstract term "athletic prowess". And it's quite a statement to even insinuate that Colorado hands down had it more than any other team BYU beat this year (i.e. Ole Miss, UCF, Oregon State, Tulsa). How do you figure? Do you really have a way to measure it? Or are you using it as an excuse to try and justify such a terrible Utah loss? I'll assume the latter.

Jan. 12, 2012 11:58 a.m.

MESOUTE,

And, let me get this straight, since Colorado has superior athletic prowess, even though they stink as a team, that's how they were able to rise up just one game and beat the mighty Utes? A team that is so obviously 44 points better day-in and day-out than a BYU team that went 10-3 and finished ranked in a major poll? Are you so sure about that? Would you pick Utah to win by 44 if they were to play again this season?

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 12:52 p.m.

From reading all of these comments, it sounds like we should just give him the Heisman right now. He obviously will enter the NFL Draft after his first season.

I just don't know how BYU gets these incredible athletes year after year (scratching head).

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2012 1:20 p.m.

"Would you pick Utah to win by 44 if they were to play again this season?"

Why the "ifs?" They won't play again this year. You should accept it and move on. I would not pick Utah to win by 6 TDs with Hays, but I think Utah would win by 2 TDs.

Keep in mind this was on your field and completely and utterly humiliated you, your "fan" base that sprinted for the exits after the 3rd quarter, and players, all of whom threw in the towel at the same time or sooner than the "fans." Not only that but it ensured that you were going to the Armed Forces Bowl. Hilarious!

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 1:30 p.m.

@giantfan:
    Intangibles and immeasurable data seem to be the only thing that matters to BYU fans. I was only trying to speak your language. Unsuccessfully it would seem. I have yet to gain fluency in hypothetical and excuse-driven linguistics.

Please read my comment above to Duckhunter and imagine it was written to you so that you may also answer the question. In case you don't want to make the effort I'll ask you directly; What was the final score of the football game played on a tangible field in a tangible setting in front of tangible fans on September 17th, 2011?

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 2:27 p.m.

giantfan,
    We heard the same thing at the end of last season from BYU football fans - look how we finished the year off -- if the Cougs had played that way all year - next year with Heaps will be a run at a BCS game - Domain is going to have the offense humming - Bronco says they are practicing so well that he is giving them days off at the movies - a National Championship is well within reach during the Jake Heaps era - Jake will set himself up for a Heisman run - etc., etc., etc.

Then, 54-10. The response? We stink, get rid of Heaps, Domain is too inexperienced, Bronco has lost the team because the defense quit in the 4th quarter, etc. etc. etc.

Then, after a few more games against sub-par teams - and an admitted nice win against a conference USA team - we are back to the eternal circle of life as a BYU football fan -- Now we are great again, if we'd only played like this at the beginning of the year - wait until our BCS run next year - Reily is the next Tim Tebow - look at the recruits - there are two or three Heisman candidates.

Jan. 12, 2012 3:16 p.m.

mesoute,

No excuses from Ute fans? "We lost to a 2-10 team (1-7 in conference) that hadn't won a road game in 4 years because they have athletic prowess. That means they're capable of putting it together for 60 minutes once every blue moon. I mean, how else do you explain them beating the mighty Utes??"

Rich.

Jan. 12, 2012 3:26 p.m.

UU32,

"Now we are great again, if we'd only played like this at the beginning of the year - wait until our BCS run next year - Reily is the next Tim Tebow - look at the recruits - there are two or three Heisman candidates."

The only people I hear that kind of crud from is Utah fans claiming that BYU fans are saying it.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 12, 2012 5:34 p.m.

giantfan -- Or from Deseret News writers (e.g. the article on RN being the collegiate Tim Tebow.

• Chumpley South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 12, 2012 10:05 p.m.

After reading this article or any others about BYU it is crazy because the same UTE fans are talking smack and saying how superior the UTE football program is.Lets look back 40 years at the 2 schools records examine the body of work. The Utes were pretty sorry most of those years you could get a seat in Rice stadium any game.The sportswriters look at the tradion of winning face it BYU has a longer more meaningful tradition in football.The UTEs have done well the last 10 years or so but many of you act like you are USC or Notre Dame
    sorry but not quite yet.It is very annoying to read the silly posts my dad can beat up your dad type stuff.If the UTES dominate for the next 20 years and have a simialr body of work then I suppose that you have a case. Until then keep it in perspective and try to be positive don't just jump on every BYU article and post the same old stupid remarks.BYU has had 8 All American QB's NCAA record galore NC Heisman winner we are still way ahead of U.......

Jan. 13, 2012 8:09 a.m.

Re: UU32

I've heard the comparison to Tim Tebow and quite frankly it's pretty appropriate--not because Nelson is as good as Tebow or that he's going to lead his team to a national championship or win himself a Heisman--because he is a scrambler first with an average to below average arm who plays with a tremendous amount of heart, seemingly bucking the odds.

As far as the constant claim of recruits winning Heismans, that has Ute Trolls written all over it.