Faith

LDS World: Two December births to celebrate: Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith

Comments

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Dec. 18, 2011 9:56 a.m.

What is said is true, however it adds fuel to the General Christian world opinion that the Church spends too much time selling the Church and not enough time selling the life of Christ.

• donn layton, UT
    Dec. 18, 2011 10:53 a.m.

RE: Ronald Uharriet I dont think that the life of Joseph Smith or any other person should be compared in the same paragraph, with the life of the Son of God. Thats just my opinion based on having many discussions with non mormon Christians that falsely think we worship Joseph Smith. Right on,

John Taylor,(Mormon) penned this beautiful and accurate eulogy: "Joseph Smith, the prophet and seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only.
    John TaylorI believe we all drank of wine, and gave some to one or two of the prison guards.(HofC 1844).
    And We talk about Christianity, but it is a perfect pack of nonsense It is a sounding brass and a tinkling symbol; and the devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work that the Christianity of the nineteenth century.(JoD v. 6.)No wonder,Christians are dubious about Mormonism.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Dec. 18, 2011 12:10 p.m.

The life of Joseph Smith was of great importance, it is through him that Christs church was restored and the priesthood was also restored to the earth. There are other significant births, Adam, Christ could not have been born without Adam and Eve fulfilling their role. But for our dispensation, Joseph Smith was a very valid and important birth. There are others for me, the 15th, my only grandchild, the 17th, my only child. The 19th my father, the 21, my grandfather and of course the 23rd Joseph Smith and we celebrate the birth of Christ on the 25th. So some very special births in my life in those ten days and each has meaning to me for different reasons.

I would say that one out of 50 times I will talk about Joseph Smith, the other times are about the Savior. The same when I am in church, the teachings focus a lot on the Savior, no one mentioned today in church that Joseph Smith's birthday is on Friday, they could have, cause we will be meeting on Christmas to celebrate the birth of the Savior.

• dr.bridell mclean, VA
    Dec. 18, 2011 12:44 p.m.

I think Joseph Smith would resist and resent any kind of comparison between him and the Savior

• Hans in California Valencia, CA
    Dec. 18, 2011 1:11 p.m.

Merry Smithmas to all, and to all a goodnight!

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 18, 2011 1:53 p.m.

I think this is what causes Christian to look upon mormonism with disdain.

• donn layton, UT
    Dec. 18, 2011 2:13 p.m.

@: Ronald Uharriet I dont think that the life of Joseph Smith or any other person should be compared in the same paragraph, with the life of the Son of God. Thats just my opinion based on having many discussions with non mormon Christians that falsely think we worship Joseph Smith.

John Taylor said,I believe we all drank of wine, and gave some to one or two of the prison guards.(HofC 1844).
    And We talk about Christianity, but it is a perfect pack of nonsense It is a sounding brass and a tinkling symbol; and the devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work that the Christianity of the nineteenth century.(JoD v. 6.).

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Dec. 18, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Oh, give us a break from such superlative, hyperbole and exaggeration. Joseph was merely a man, and an extremely flawed one at that.

• megen Truth or Consequences, NM
    Dec. 18, 2011 4:30 p.m.

It is utter blasphemy to compare Smith to Christ. This article, once again, shows the true focus of Mormonism.

Merry Smithmas to all and to all a good night.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Dec. 18, 2011 8:58 p.m.

It doesn't surprise me to see the critics show their disdain for this story. Yet, what the author said and what John Taylor wrote as an eulogy speaks the truth of all. Joseph Smith the prophet of the restoration. A young boy chosen to restore the truths that were taught by Christ. To restore the one and only true and living Church of Jesus Christ upon the earth. Though we celebrate the Birth of the Savior whose birth means very little with out the crowning event, his death upon the cross on Calvary and then his resurrection guaranteeing each and every person who has lived or will live the gift of immortality. Joseph Smith through whom we have been given the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, through whom the power and keys of the Priesthood was restored, through whom the blessings of eternal families was given accomplished through the sealing power of the Lord's House. We don't worship Joseph Smith but we revere his life and his willingness to follow as our Heavenly Father directs. Without Joseph Smith the world would still be in the dark ages.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Dec. 18, 2011 10:41 p.m.

So how many of you love your fathers? Oh you can't do that, that would take away from your love of Christ. I for one have a place in my heart to love my Savior and to love the living Prophet today, and to love the first Prophet of this dispensation. I guess that if I love my child deeply, then I am an evil person cause I should only love and honor Christ. Isn't there a commandment that says love one another? What is love, love is to honor and respect people and their goodness and what is the pure love of Christ? It is charity and charity can only be done if we have a love for others. Christ did not teach us to hate each other or to hate another persons religious views. Thursday I told my granddaughter happy birthday, yesterday I told my daughter, tomorrow I will whisper to my father Happy Birthday, Wednesday I will whisper that also to my grandfather. Friday I will leave a FB message to my dear friend, I will also remember Joseph Smith on that day. Christmas and every day is Christs day.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Actually, according to many biblical scholars the Savior was born in the Spring time not during the colder winter months.

I am sure your heart is in the right place but your delivery is strained and seems to hint toward self adulation.

Anyhow, in the spirit of the season I wish you a Merry Christmas.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Joseph was merely a man, and he was the first to admit it. I think he, himself would be extremely uncomfortable with this article.

• IndependentLiberal Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 10:41 a.m.

I really believe this type of comparison "Praise to the Man" will always keep the divide too wide!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 12:29 p.m.

@dr.bridell and I M LDS 2

@mightymite and megan and hans in california

While Joseph Smith is held in high regard but he's not considered equal to Christ. Today is Pope Urban V's feast day; should Catholics be criticized for that too? (Actually, a lot of people who go after Mormonism for "worshiping" Joseph Smith also go after Catholics for supposedly "praying to saints"...).

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 2:59 p.m.

atl134,

You may be right. If so, I find that bothersome.

• Firefly123 Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 19, 2011 6:57 p.m.

I'm not thrilled with this, either. Plus the title, when we know full well that Jesus Christ was born during the Spring lambing season, and possibly even on April 6th, as some church-member scholars have suggested.

I just remember the one-and-only sacrament meeting my born-again step-dad attended, where the subject, unfortunately, was Joseph Smith. For some reason, every single speaker felt the reed to repeat his name. He later told my mother he had counted 74 "Joseph Smith's" in the 35 minutes-worth of talks. I don't doubt it, as I didn't start counting until about 30 had passed, and I got to nearly 40. Not the way to impress Baptists, that's for sure, and yes; I'm sure he will never enter a chapel again.

Wish we would study more about praising the name of Jesus Christ. I wouldn't mind some gospel music now and then, either. Monotonous durges make me fall asleep.

• donn layton, UT
    Dec. 20, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Re: atl134,@dr.bridell and I M LDS 2,Joseph Smith had made similar remarks to those of Taylor about doing more to keep the church together than anyone so I'm not sure he'd be uncomfortable with this article. True,
    Joseph Smith said, I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter ,Nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. (HofC vol.6)
    Joseph Smith said, He will make me be god to you in His stead, and the elders to be a mouth piece for me; and if you dont like it, you must lump it.(HofC vol.6)

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Dec. 20, 2011 12:31 p.m.

To Donn: You bring up an interesting point that many critics of the Prophet Joseph Smith with this so called boasting. What is funny the critics also say nothing of Paul in 2 Corinthians Chapter 11. If you were to quote the whole thing as it is proper to do so you would find that Joseph Smith was reading this very chapter and was discussing this chapter to the congregation. Now it seems reasonable that a person who would want to destroy mormonism would also dispute what Paul did. As you read what the Prophet Joseph Smith said and what is written in Corinthians you will see that he did exactly the same thing as Paul. Also you last part of you post is not anywhere in there but one a critic has posted that is not even there. Again critics speak of half truths or outright lies to make themselves look better than they really are and the prophet Joseph Smith worse than he really was. Critics need to really sit down and see what he actually said and then you will see the humility of the man.

• donn layton, UT
    Dec. 21, 2011 8:44 a.m.

@Bill, As you read what the Prophet Joseph Smith said and what is written in Corinthians you will see that he did exactly the same thing as Paul. Wrong,

In 2Cor 11 Paul is boasting of his sufferings. Paul was a actual apostle per (2 Peter 3:15). Your comparison is a false analogy, You have to take JS word that he was called by God.

Joseph Smith said, Thou eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent Jehovah-God-Thou Eloheim, that sittest as saith the Psalmist, enthroned in heaven look down upon thy servant JS...(JS Dec 1835, (Comprehensive HofC 2)

Andtrusting in the arm of Jehovah, the Eloheim, who sits enthroned in the heavens.(HofC v. 5)

the LORD(JEHOVAH) is the true God,(Jeremiah 10:10 KJV). YHWH is the personal name of God.
    Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us (1John 3:16) God on the cross.

Yet JS, I have always declared Jesus Christ a separate a distinct personage from God the father.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Dec. 21, 2011 4:36 p.m.

Donn/Sharrona: There is a problem with your philosophy and that is that you are saying because the Bible is true then Paul is an actual apostle. The problem with this is that at the time of the writing of the New Testament Paul was persecuted and reviled just as Joseph Smith was/is. The two coorespond identically in all aspects of their lives. Therefore, there is no falisy as you call it.

Just as Paul boasted so did Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith is persecuted and reviled today as Paul was in those days. By the way Eloheim is plural but means the Father. The Son and the Father are not identical. As Christ has stated many times in his teachings, "If you have seen the Father, you have seen me." This refers to the Father also having a body of flesh and bone. Again you only are saying this just as the Gentiles and Jews in Christ day refused to recognize Paul as an apostle of Jesus Christ, you refuse to recognize Joseph Smith as such.

• BillKilpatrick LAKELAND, FL
    Dec. 30, 2011 4:41 p.m.

I don't think it helps to make a big celebration of Joseph Smith's birthday two days before Christmas. I think it sends the wrong message. I also have issues with the article's references to "Mother Lucy," "baby Joseph" and the nativity-like references to cradling, as well as references to Joseph Smith, not as a remarkable man but as a "remarkable being" and a "majestic being."

I think greater care should be taken to avoid crossing the line from legitimate appreciation to the appearance of hero worship. The LDS Church goes to a lot of trouble to convince a skeptical world that it has one savior - Jesus Christ. Introducing a Joseph Smith Day two days before Christmas undermines those efforts.

• JohnM Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2014 9:25 p.m.

That Mormons worship Joseph Smith or that they celebrate his birthday more than that of Christ is a common anti-Mormon theme I've been reading in their literature for decades. I've personally never been to an LDS worship service where Joseph Smith's birthday was the subject of a sermon. It's unfortunate that this article merely reinforces the anti-Mormon claims. It is inappropriate, in my view, to conflate the celebration of Christ's birthday with that of Joseph Smith, especially in a publication that anti-Mormons will now point to in support of their baseless claims.