Blue roundup: Jabari Parker making national news

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:10 a.m.

"considering" byu

BYU has as good of a shot at landing this kid as byu does of ever going to a BCS game.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Dear Santa:

All I want for Christmas is for Jabari Parker to commit to BYU.

Sincerely,

Devoted Cougar Fan

• Kalel1 SANDY, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:29 a.m.

This kid (Chris B) has as good of a shot landing a career of any kind as Utah does beating a 2-10 Colorado team.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Chris: This is a BASKETBALL player! There are no BCS games in basketball, just like there is no crying in baseball!

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Kalel1 has a no shot at coming to terms with the 54-10 beat down his team got in September.

• sls Columbia, MO
    Dec. 9, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Not every LDS kid thinks like the kids in Utah--that it's better to go to the local state school than to attend a better private school, like BYU. I was at one of the BYU games in the Chicago Invitational and I saw Jabari in the stands watching BYU. The BYU players came and greeted him warmly. I believe it is an accurate assessment to say that he is considering BYU.

If he chooses to make basketball more important in life than other things, that is his decision. However, those who try to belittle BYU on a comment board for an article like this only show how little they are.

I get sick of the negativity posted on these boards by folks like the one above. If your jersey isn't the one somebody supports, why rip on the others?

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Thank you sls for your comments. I only wish certain people could let things go, but they just can't seem to.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:11 a.m.

@jenny83

Yet there is absolutely no chance for utah to get him. They offered and he stated they are not even a consideration. Not even a consideration LOL!

Oh and keep on referencing football on a basketball article, it is all utah "fans" have.

Le minerai de plus que les choses changent elles restent les memes.

LOL!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Congrats to Apo for that recognition! He's having a similar year to what Hoffman had last year as a freshman.

Next year with both even more seasoned, and with a consistent QB who'll throw to both of them, BYU fans could be in for a special 2012 season.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:18 a.m.

Jabari Parker may or may not choose BYU, but he sounds like the kind of kid who will "choose the right" no matter what school that is. As a BYU fan, that makes me happy. Seeing him in a BYU uniform would make me happier!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:24 a.m.

After reading the NYT article, *man* I hope he decides to come here. With DeMarco here, and with the Cougs making some noise this year, I think our chances are good.

Crispy, anyone with class would acknowledge she was wrong if it happens. So I don't expect we'll hear from you if that happens.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:30 a.m.

I'd be happy for BYU if they landed this kid... it would be fun to watch him play and I'd like to see my Utes competing against him. He would probably be the greatest recruit to ever hit the Marriott Center floor.
    However, all inside scoop to date says he's only kept BYU on his list out of respect for his LDS religion and has little to no intention of ever being a Coug.
    Insiders certainly don't always know what they're talking about, so no reason for Coug fans not to hope...but it doesn't look good.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:51 a.m.

The Ute haters hope he won't come. Because if he does come it makes their "BYU can't recruit anyone" arguement pointless. Like what they have to say ever comes to pass anyway.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:58 a.m.

sls: Thanks for your post and observation. I'd would have loved to be there but we were out of town visiting the in-laws in Arkansas.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 9, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Quoted from CSNChicago "Jabari, is considering Duke, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Stanford, Brigham Young, Washington, Connecticut, Florida, Louisville, Georgetown, Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M and North Carolina State."

I agree 1 out of 18 schools is still a long shot that Jabari will land at BYU. But it's a better shot than the other 300+ basketball programs he is not considering.

His choice will depend on his priorities.

If he wants to stay close to home, Illinois has an edge.

If he wants to play for a storied program; Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or North Carolina may be where he ends.

If his focus is on education; Stanford could be the choice.

Jabari we would welcome you with open arms.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Seriously, Chris B.?
    First to post on another BYU Basketball story?
    Does your insecurity and compulsive obsession for all things BYU, have no bounds?
    Seriously, seek counseling and get a Life.

As for Jabari, whether he chooses BYU or not, we are all proud of him for representing himself his family and the Church with Honor.

Good Luck to you wherever you choose to play ball.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Chris B

"considering" byu

*******
    Well lets see Chris B.

Vegas has the odds of BYU going to a BCS game in the next 5 years at 30-70. Not good odds, but do-able.

AND Vegas has the odds of Utah going to a BCS game in the next 5 years at
    20-80...Wow, even worse.

And the real stinger is that Utah is in a BCS Conference, with all the hype and BCS ties to bowls...yet Vegas sees them in the lower tier of the league.

Now putting salt on your wounds is the fact that Vegas has Colorado at the same 30-70 odds of BYU of going to a BCS...Wow, you just keep getting kicked when down...sorry.

But then there's always Basketball...Oh, I am indeed sorry...

But, the Red Rocks look good...and they are pretty good at gymnastics as well...

Wow, a silver lining.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Dec. 9, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Bloated -

You fell for the Chris B. thing, again? Really? I hope you realize that it is one of your own who craves attention. Why do you give her attention? Ignore and it will go away.

• jake heaps = ben olson Orem, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Re: Veracity

Since when have BYU fans ever cared what Vegas thinks?

• amicus Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 9, 2011 12:58 p.m.

@ sls | 10:41 a.m. Dec. 9, 2011

As a BYU supporter, I really appreciated most of comments. However, I am puzzled by your following statement: "If he chooses to make basketball more important in life than other things, that is his decision."

Are you implying that latter-day saints attending a non-LDS affiliated school are somehow lacking in spirituality? If Jabari Parker chooses to attend a school other than BYU, that does not mean that his spirituality is any less of a priority to him. Jabari sounds like a spiritual giant, regardless of whether he attends BYU.

If every person that chose not to attend BYU was lacking in spirituality, then we would need to oust quite a few of our general authorities, including the Prophet!

• Freight Train Houston, TX
    Dec. 9, 2011 1:21 p.m.

would love nothing more than having Jabari. I think we've got some great young talent that he could compete alongside and take us deep in the tourney.

However, my guess would be he ends up with coach K and the blue devils.

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 1:29 p.m.

PLEASE come to BYU!!! :D
    (I don't see it happening, but one can dream)
    Sound like an excellent kid. He has a great opportunity to represent the church through his athletic gift and his humble demeanor. Keep it up Jabari!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Bluto -
    "Seriously, Chris B.?
    First to post on another BYU Basketball story?
    Seriously, seek counseling and get a Life."
    _______________

As much as I don't wish to be a Chris B. apologist, your comment was so pot calling the kettle black it's ridiculous.
    And your cohort Duckhunter is sitting in pole position on a Ute article this very second. Perhaps you should call him out as well...you know, for consistency sake.
    Puuulllleeezzze.

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Dec. 9, 2011 1:39 p.m.

"But if he wants a well rounded education, spiritual development, association with individuals with similar values, and a solid Top 25 basketball program with a great coach - BYU could be a great choice for him."

Tell me which of the non-BYU schools in question would not offer him the same thing? (You could use the same statement for all of the elite basketball schools except you could swap out "25" for "10".)

I understand Y fans wanting him in their program for basketball reasons... any fan of any school would want him. But so many of these Y posters, at least when it comes to football, suggest that missionary work is the real reason for Y athletics. If missionary work is the real reason, then the best thing would be for Jabari to attend anywhere but BYU.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 9, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Jabari will do just fine where ever he goes, but it would be the best thing to happen with the BYU basketball team maybe ever to land a recruit like him. There are LDS institutes near all college campuses he will be able to stay spiritually strong where ever he goes. Please come to BYU though. I think his mom is another big reason he is considering BYU. From what I understand she attended BYU. Go Cougs.

• TrueUte Holladay, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Man this kid sounds great! I hope for great success for him and that he will continue to represent his faith and his parent(s) well. I would love to see him here so that I could see him and keep track of him.

@Veracity
    Not sure why your following odds as a "good member" but if you are you would realize that the bookies made a good call on the Colorado vs Utah game :0

the real winner in this story is kid.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Dec. 9, 2011 3:19 p.m.

amicus: Obviously I don't know sls from adam, but I think you are putting words in his mouth that he did not speak (or write in this case). I read that statement as "whatever the kid decides to do is ultimately none of our business and we're not going to influence his decision one way or the other."

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Dec. 9, 2011 3:27 p.m.

motorbike @ 1:30: well said. For a Ute fan, you're a pretty good guy. :)

Cougarnate: U of IL has an institute, but it isn't an especially good/highly active/motivational one. Last I heard, from a kid in our ward, there are only about 30 active in the program. But your point is well taken. This young man will be spiritually strong where ever he goes because he has the foundation he needs to continue building.

• sls Columbia, MO
    Dec. 9, 2011 3:47 p.m.

Most athletes don't choose to go to BYU for their spirituality, and they shouldn't. Many LDS athletes do choose to go to BYU, however, because they realize that in doing so they will increase the profile of the Church more than if they went to another school where they will just be another player, sometimes playing on Sundays, but always representing another institution.

Many of those who transfer to BYU have said that they did it for this very reason: in order to represent BYU and the LDS Church on the field of play. I hope Jabari makes a decision to do this, but if he doesn't then it is his choice and we should all respect it.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 4:47 p.m.

This would be the "get" of the century for byU basketball, that is a fact. It would not even be in the same universe as the whole Burgess debacle either. For basketball in Utah as a whole, I hope the cougs land this kid. He sounds like a solid young man.

In regards to Ducky and Bluto getting after U fans for commenting on a byU basketaball article.... Please don't try and claim the higher ground, you just look silly. lol

• amicus Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 9, 2011 5:04 p.m.

@ sls | 3:47 p.m. Dec. 9, 2011

Thanks for the clarification.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 5:32 p.m.

@utahcountyute

But I didn't get after any utah "fans" for commenting on a BYU basketball article. I never get after utah "fans" for commenting on any BYU article. I like that they do it as it gives me material to expose them with. Like jenny for instance. I pointed out how lame her comment was, not that she made a comment.

And then of course you trying to call me out for something I didn't do is the icing on this cake. Thanks for the response!

LOL!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 6:54 p.m.

Rafael Araujo

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 9, 2011 7:21 p.m.

Wiley Old School

I think the concept discussed is that, for a young man attending early morning seminary with five brothers and sisters, attending BYU is a whole different world. Attend any of the elite 10, and the membership experience will be much like he already has.

This is NOT a judgmental statement. We have lots of kids that get the "institute in the mission field" experience. But for his ONLY opportunity to be totally immersed in the membership of his religion, get a good education and play for a good team, it's BYU.

But yes, he would have more missionary opportunities surrounded by team mates and fellow students of all walks and beliefs. Probably make a bigger national impresion for the church playing at BYU.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:07 p.m.

I'm sure Parker is very good. But right now, its called potential. He might turn out to be the biggest "get" BYU basketball has ever had, and if we can land him, I hope that is the case. I love that Jabari is humble - talent and humility are hard to find. But until that potential is proven, Jimmer is our biggest "get" and will be until proven otherwise. Jimmer has talent, incredible work ethic and humility. Fabulous traits, traits that sounds like Jabari also has. Go Cougs!

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 8:28 p.m.

But I thought Jake Heaps was the best get BYU ever had?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:00 p.m.

To quote a dumb movie, "So, you're saying there is a chance. . . ."

I think a way to sell this kid on BYU is to make the comparison to Jimmer. I really think that if Jimmer had gone to a bigger conference where really talented kids were a dime a dozen, I really don't think he would have had as great success nor as great attention as he had at BYU. In the MWC Jimmer really stood out, and our buddies at ESPN jumped all over it.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:15 p.m.

It is refreshing to hear of a young man who is doing many of the right things when it would be so easy for him to do the wrong things. I hope he can continue to set a good example at BYU or wherever else he ends up.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 9:36 p.m.

Would love to see Parker come to BYU, joining Emery, Haws, Harrison, Austin, Chatman, Winder, Sharp, and others playing for a great coach who has perspective. But I will follow Parker's career no matter where he goes. He sounds like a great ambassador of the LDS faith.

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Dec. 9, 2011 11:21 p.m.

If he comes to byu my guess is that bronco will find someway to bench him too..

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 6:40 a.m.

crisb
    So we agree; BYU has a great chance of signing Jabari and of going to a BCS game in the near future. Thank you for your support of BYU athletics.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 8:52 a.m.

To all the insecure,
    "Always looking over their shoulder, at all things concerning BYU",
    Trolls....

Let's try this one more time....

The Phony status-symbol called the BCS is on it's last legs. It will not exist in 2-3 years. There will no longer be AQ's to Conferences and thus Utah's
    Coat-Tailing of Others Success', merely by Conference Association, will cease to be!

And Utah will find itself where it has always been over the last 50 years, an after thought in football and a Northwestern, Vanderbilt , Washington Generals type, schedule filler.

As for BYU basketball. The pipeline for BYU is secure and long. Did anyone know anything about this Austin kid? And there he was all along, waiting in the wings.

The U can't get the top notch LDS Utah kid anymore. Not since Majerus fired Judkins which instigated the 100 year, "Curse of the Juddy".

And need we remind you Utes, that BYU had the Unanimous NPOY last year. The Jimmer, winner of all 6 National Player of the Year Awards. So landing this kid is not "essential" forBYU.

Now Get the Red out today, so those 10 thousand empty seats can pass for human beings.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 9:49 a.m.

duck

no but you were the first to be yourself on the Utes basketball article. my bad

bluto

keep making it look like you don't need and want this kid with a passion. lol. I don't see coach Rose pulling the religion card on this kid but you never know. Good luck getting him from Duke though.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Dec. 10, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Utah was never a consideration for Jabari.

Even the kids that dreamed to wear a Ute uniform are considering their options.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaah!

• selway Paul, Idaho
    Dec. 10, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Jabari has a brother Christian a return missionary who is also a very outstanding young man. I saw him absolutley light up the gym while welcoming a large group of missionaries at a CSI game a couple years ago in Twin Falls. He will also have an influence on where he elects to go. I don't know where Cristian ended up playing. Little brother has the potential to be another Labron,Kobe Michael at the next levil. It would be nice to increase the exposure of his principles and represent his church at BYU but either way that will happen. Awesome 16 yr old.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Dec. 10, 2011 2:19 p.m.

I would love to see Parker go to BYU. On the other hand, he may be able to do more good elsewhere. What is needed more, BYU fans to have a loyal and strong black Mormon player to look up to, or people elsewhere to see a loyal and strong black Mormon? Where will he be able to do more good? I honestly do not know. I think this should be a matter that he and his family put much prayer into, and I think we should refrain from assuming that we know which choice is right.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 10, 2011 11:03 p.m.

Like Heaps, Burgess, Olson, Murphy, the moment this kid chooses not to go to BYU...well, let's just say the comments from many of the Y fans on here will be far less kind...

For many, it's not enough that's he good, spiritual and smart. It's only if he suits up for BYU.

Don't believe me? How many Y fans cheer for Eric Weddle in the NFL?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 12, 2011 9:25 a.m.

@MiP

I suppose utah "fans" just shower the love on the kids that turn them down? usually you are a fairly reasonable Utah fan but sometimes you just can't keep your bias from showing through. Fans of a schools sports teams are only that, nothing more. They love their players and they dislike the ones that go elsewhere. This is true of the fans of every single school in the country.

I personally always like to see kids that went to local schools, or that are LDS do well, but I don't care that much. I don't wish anything negative on weddle but I also don't really care about what he does either. If he does well that's great, if he doesn't, well my life will continue on as before.

My guess is that if the BYU fan is also a Chargers fan then they cheer for weddle. If they aren't then they probably don't really care. How many utah "fans", even the LDS ones, cheer for Jimmer? Probably not many and the comments about him from the supposed LDS utah "fans" like howie prove it. It's not enough that he is smart, spiritual, good, he went to BYU.

• scwoz gambier, oh
    Dec. 13, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Good for him. We need to follow in his foot steps and be as humble as he is...