BYU basketball routs Weber State, 94-66

Comments

• QBU OREM, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:06 p.m.

BYU has really found its identity. Rose has done a great job at finding the rotation that works! Great team effort tonight! Everybody contributed. Looking forward to Baylor on the 17th!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:06 p.m.

This team is for real and IS the best team in the state. The end of season record will prove it.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:07 p.m.

Wow. Makes you wish for do-overs with Wisconsin.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:14 p.m.

Impressive performance by BYU. I love the balance that this team has. It makes it that much harder to defend when you have six guys putting up double figures.

How about the emergence of Nate Austin? The guy's got a smooth shot and hustles his butt off. If he can keep it going, it'll be a huge help going forward while Chris Collinsworth is out.

Noah Hartsock has been Mr. Consistent thus far. It's been needed since Davies has struggled to start the season. We've got a really good young team. With the added depth of Carlino come the Baylor game, we have a legitimate shot to upset the Bears at home and compete for the WCC championship.

Go Cougars!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:16 p.m.

Great game Cougars!

"Six Cougars scored in double figures, including Brock Zylstra (15), Charles Abouo (15), Stephen Rogers (15), Nate Austin (15) and Brandon Davies (11). Both Rogers and Austin came off the bench."

You're not going to lose many games with that kind of balanced scoring. Nate Austin may be the surprise player of the year for BYU.

The Utes up next; the HC is going to be rocking -- at least for the Cougars!

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Let's focus on Utah now, they are apparently a force to bereckoned... phhhaa ha ha ha sorry I couldn't hold a straight face...I tried LOL!!!!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Davies has a playground one-on-one game: wait, wait, bounce, bounce, bounce, shot. Too much time, defenses collapse and adjust to teammates as well. Know your move before the ball hits your hand, make it quickly.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Baylors size and athleticism will make that game hard to win but at least the way the cougs are playing it makes you think they may have a chance. Love how Austin is playing, hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble, we will need him.
    Would like to see Harrison start shooting better, I'd like to see him get more PT. Love the fact that so many players can put up good numbers.

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:33 p.m.

But gordon monson said Weber was the best team in the state.

My son and I watched Austin as a senior in high school and wonder why Coach Rose was offering him a scholarship. I guess that's why he's the coach and I'm not.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:34 p.m.

When they are at full strength Weber is the second best team in Utah with USU a close third. Haven't seen SUU or UVU play so it's hard to say who is the fourth or fifth best.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Opponents hoping to get a break when Davies is in foul trouble have to deal with Austin! Its as if Davies is there to 'soften' his opponent just enough for Austin squashes them flat! He is a beast, and fun to watch.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:43 p.m.

BYU 81
    Utah 43

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:45 p.m.

The Cougs are looking better with every game. Really have the TEAM concept down.

It will be really interesting how they do against Baylor.

But first--Utah!

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Excellent game by BYU. Now don't go having a "letdown game" against Utah!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Hey wildcat obviously the refs really affected the outcome. I think weber st. actually had them until the refs intervened.

LOL!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:00 p.m.

"Opponents hoping to get a break when Davies is in foul trouble have to deal with Austin!"

Hartsock's more aggressive play around the basket is something to be reckoned with as well. He scored 19 tonight and didn't even attempt one three. Like a big man that can shoot, but glad to see he's not settling for just the out side shot.

Inside depth is something that the Cougars haven't enjoyed too much. This season seems to be an exception.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:01 p.m.

good luck the rest of the year Weber State.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:07 p.m.

BYU seems to be be steadily improving with each game --- Much improved from the time they played Utah State. It has taken a little time to sort out the main group, and others have stepped up to where we have some good subs. It will be interesting to see how Carlino contributes --- Should be a fun season.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:08 p.m.

Nate "Circus" Austin is just plain ridiculous!

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:21 p.m.

only 81-43 if BYU plays its non stating 5 and coach Rose calls off the attack in the last 10 minutes of the game
    I suspect they make go for 110

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:32 p.m.

@ Jake2010

Let's not forget what happened a few weeks ago: USU 69, BYU 62.
    Congratulations on the win, but Utah State is still the best team in the state this year.

Go Aggies!

• brluthi Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:44 p.m.

@Utah_State_Fan

While we're reminiscing, let's remember what happened four days later. WSU 73, USU 63.

The difference between November 11th and tonight is that BYU has improved immensely, while USU has...well..beaten SUU, Idaho State, and UVU.

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:47 p.m.

@ Utah_State_Fan

Let's not forget Utah St. 63 - Weber St. 73, and the fact that Utah St. is 4-4.

Hmm....

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:47 p.m.

@Utah_State_Fan,

Uh. . . you lost to Weber State and we just demolished them. I think that things are, at the least, even. We lost to you by 7 points, you lost to them by 10, and we beat them by 28. I don't understand your reasoning. How about a rematch? And who's the one that just broke a losing streak? Best team in the state? Eh, no! Plus, isn't your record worse than BYU's and Weber State's?

• sls Columbia, MO
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:47 p.m.

BYU should be able to make it 6 in a row over the utes. This Cougar team keeps getting better, while all three teams up north in the state seem to get worse.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 10:47 p.m.

To my buddy Duckhunter,

I listened to the game the first half--I was driving, and then I had to mute the feed from BYUTV so I didn't have to hear the BYU crew in order to keep down dinner for the second half.

I told you before the game that Weber State would have a tough time matching up against BYU's height. I said they would have to run and have a good shooting night--they did neither. I was really disappointed in the fact that they just gave up two minutes into the second half.

Just like BYU fans think they could beat USU at home, I think Weber State could beat BYU if they had Bullinger playing and the game was in Ogden. Last year Weber State had to play BYU without Lillard, this year without their best inside player--Bullinger. Just frustrating because Weber State is a lot better than they played tonight. Basketball is tough on the road. Clearly BYU is the best team in state right now. Here's hoping both teams make the tourney, and this game spurs Weber State to improve their inside play.

Enjoy your victory--but I'm not going away pal!

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Rumor has it that Nate Austin beat Jimmer in a 3 point shooting contest...

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 7, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Wildcat:

No one wants you to go away bro, you're welcome here any time, but let's call a spade a spade: you got slaughtered. Bullinger doesn't make up the 30 pt difference in this game, but he will help the Wildcats to what should be a Conf Championship and a tournament berth when he gets healthy.

Okay, so the BYUtv announcers drove you nuts, at least you knew it was a bball game; every time I tune to 1280 to check in on the Wildcats it sounds like open mic night.

Wildcat fans: get ready for Big Sky Conference play, the NCAA tourney and Bullinger coming back.

Ute fans: get ready to get slaughtered.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 7, 2011 11:39 p.m.

There is no question about who the best BB team in Utah is at point. This is not the same team that lost to USU in game 1. Cougs are #1!

The Cougar D did a great job of slowing down Lillard.

Hartsock will be in the mix for WCC Player of the Year.

Austin will be in the mix for WCC Freshmen of the Year.

Zylstra is a lot better than I thought he'd be.

The score against the Utes will be 54-10 at half time.

BYU will compete with the Zags for WCC regular season champs.

BYU will be in the Top 25 by January 1.

The Cougars are moving from good to great. It's hard to believe they are so young, with four Freshman getting significant minutes - soon to be five when Carlino becomes eligible or seven when Sharp recovers from his injury.

Go Cougs!

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 7, 2011 11:42 p.m.

Sure looks like our new Asst. Coach Pope is having an immediate impact with our big men.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 5:57 a.m.

@riddlemethis

Weber State's only guy who could play an inside game went down to injury before this game. The big three are Lillard/Bamforth/Bullinger. That's like saying Davies suspension shouldn't have made a difference, or saying the Jazz of old would have been fine if one of Stockton/Hornacek/Malone went down to injury. One leg went off the three-leg chair, and it showed. It basically ensured they couldn't keep BYU's defense honest. Yeah, they probably wouldn't have won at Provo with him, which I admitted, but I think they could compete in Ogden with him. They played BYU to 6 points in Ogden last year without Lillard. In basketball, the homecourt advantage is big.

I can't believe how they just gave up and rode out the last ten minutes, that's bad, they did that against St. Mary's as well. They have to learn to overcome the height disparity--otherwise they are in trouble.

Good luck to BYU rest of the way--hopefully, there is a rematch in the NCAA tourney! Weber State will need to regroup in a big way until Bullinger is back. The game plan is out how to play them.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 6:59 a.m.

I like Weber...I love the Cougars...Lets watch and see how it all works out during the course of the season. One thing is for sure, between the Wildcats and the Cougars....the state of Utah will have plenty to cheer about. Here's to hoping the injury bug doesen't bite either team to bad.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 8:32 a.m.

riddlemethis,

I will admit Carl Arky is partisan, but what radio announcer for college isn't in this state? I will take him over Wrubell or Fowler any day. I think Fowler was the one who was crying when Beck threw the TD pass againt the U of U to win the game. That was kind of funny and strange at the same time. LOL.

I guess we will just have to listen to the home feeds and mute the others--good times. Have a good one buddy!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 9:02 a.m.

@Wildcat

I don't want you to "go away". I'm just glad you can take it with as much as you've tried to dish it lately, particularly in the BYU/Big east threads.

Obviously BYU is the best team in the state but that only means anything on these boards. I always cheer for all of the local teams when they get to the post season and as long as they aren't playing BYU, although I admit cheering for the u of u has gotten to be an extremely hard thing to do.

Hopefully Weber bounces back.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 8, 2011 9:45 a.m.

Hiring of Coach Pope=Better play from the bigs.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 8, 2011 1:37 p.m.

@Duckhunter

The reason I gave BYU fans a tough time about the Big 12/Big East deal is because I think it would be great for the state. Just think, you would have teams like USC and Oregon going to SLC and teams like Oklahoma and Texas going to Provo. It would really step up sports in Utah. I don't think independence has anything to offer them except tough scheduling in November and crappy start times. I just think the current AD and administration are not willing to step BYU up to another level. I hope USU gets a MWC invite, and I'm also glad SUU got into the Big Sky.

I like to call it as I see it, but I will admit when I am off--unlike some of the yokels on these boards. I'm not a fair weather fan--I back the Wildcats all the time, and I am a Cubs fan--so I am used to disappointment. In fact, I'm not sure how to handle it when my teams succeed!

I too cheer for the local teams. Look forward to many spirited posts! Have a nice day. GO WILDCATS!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Dec. 8, 2011 2:59 p.m.

Let it be known that the Cougars are no Jazz... They are not known for their let down games in basketball.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Dec. 9, 2011 1:08 p.m.

Coach Pope is an incredible find for the Cougs. I never thought I'd see this kind of inside play at BYU. The lack of it is always what kills us in March. Noah and Brandon are different players this year over how they've played in past seasons, and the length and hustle we've picked up with our frosh bigs is phenominal. I admit it's early, but this team could really make some noise this year if they keep putting out and improving like they have.

Current BYU students, enjoy this while you can. We had Ainge & Devin Durrant. You've had Jimmer, Jackson, Noah, Charles, Brandon . . . and the team just keeps re-loading!