Utah

Utah plans celebrations for 10th anniversary of 2002 Winter Olympics

Comments

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Oh goody, instead of spending money to pay for the healthcare for Utah's poorer children, we get to spend it celebrating an event that occured a decade ago.

• Poppa Alan Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 11:06 a.m.

I agree with Ranchhand. I loved everything about the Olympics being here. It was a wonderful time. But that was then. Lets enjoy the memories, watch a video of the event, and spend the money for those that could really use it.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Utah needs to get over this.. It was 10 years ago.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Nice to know we are celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the Olympics. It added and continues to add so much to the community.

Fraser,

One thing is missing. A street or boulevard in Salt Lake City named Olympic Blvd or Ave. May I suggest renaming South Campus Drive on the U of U campus as Olympic Blvd. That is state property and would be the easiest to rename in terms of address changes. It also runs from the Olympic Village to Rice Eccles Stadium were the opening and closing ceremonies were held. Thanks.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 30, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Let's face it, the State of Utah is going to elect Romney for President. Do we really need to spend this money to remind people about what a great job Romney did with the Olympics? I can't think of any other city that re-celebrates their olympic event!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 30, 2011 12:18 p.m.

@RanchHand @Poppa Alan @Johnson72

Are you kidding me? There's an entire subset of people here in Utah that can't utter two sentences without mentioning a college football championship that happened 25 years ago. What would give you the idea that we're going to let the Olympics fall by the wayside that easily?

Welcome to Utah: Where we brighten the present by living in the past.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 30, 2011 12:54 p.m.

@Brave sir Robin, that gave me a good laugh. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it is easier to laugh about it!

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 30, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Citius! Altius! Fortius! echoes still in my memory of that magnificent time in Salt Lake City.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 1:09 p.m.

RanchHand,

The law requires every ER in Utah to provide free medical care to all those who can't afford it including children. Those who pay for health insurance and some government money pays for this free ER care. Care to retrack your comment.

To all the other naysayers, the Olympics provided many free events to everyone in the community including the free concerts every night at the medals plaza. It was a great time and may the games return some day.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Nov. 30, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Lame.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Is there a Utah celebration for healthcare in Massachusetts?

Yeah.

I didn't think so.

• Fitz Murray, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 2:29 p.m.

The comments above that this celebration is remembering the past is correct. But we do that in this country a lot. July 4, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, as well as many others, and here in Utah, Pioneer Day, are celebrated annually. Some have lost their original meaning, but they are still celebrated.

Surely, Utah celebrating a 10th anniversary for the excellent outcome of the 2002 Olympics is worth the money and the time. I, for one, think that they are. And if you remember these games gave us a positive and well needed distraction for a few moments from the tragic events five months earlier, then that is even more reason to celebrate the Olympic Games of 2002. Let the celebration begin!

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 2:38 p.m.

@RanchHand: In Utah we don't belive in handouts. Those children are poor, and it is their own fault, and their families fault for not being able to afford it. As we know, if the poor people didn't want to be poor, all they need to do is get a job. It is so simple, I wonder how poverty even exists in this country.
    So why should I have to pay for others not taking care of themselves?

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 2:39 p.m.

Why?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 3:56 p.m.

@RanchHand: In Utah we don't belive in handouts. - three11stu | 2:38 p.m. Nov. 30, 2011

*'Utah Benefits Big Time From Stimulus Money, Tax Cuts' - By TONY SEMERAD - SL Tribune - 08/14/10

'The amount of federal stimulus cash pumped into Utah by the controversial American Recovery and Reinvestment Act has now surpassed the $3 billion mark in spending...'

Then Utah should be willing to pay back the $3 billion dollars in stimulus money.

Or the $4 to $1 ratio that Utah gets for every federal program Utah gives to.

aka, Utah GETS BACK x4 more than any state dollars they put into federal projects.

Please do not blame CHILDREN, for their own poverty.

Your lack of empathy towards your fellow Americans plight is troubling.

WWJD?

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 4:12 p.m.

@Pagan:
    I guess I really do have to write SARCASM on my posts. Based on all the comments I read regarding poverty and social services, it appears that Utahns in general don't believe in those programs, which is ironic based on the belief system the majority of utahns have.
    I in no way blame children for their own poverty, yet we blame adults for poverty, when really, poverty ensares those suffering from it in and endless cycle, trapping the children that are living in poverty all through adulthood.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 4:29 p.m.

'@Pagan:
    I guess I really do have to write SARCASM on my posts.' - three11stu | 4:12 p.m. Nov. 30, 2011

Well.

Since I can't see you roll your eyes. :)

I apologize that I didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

However, I have debated that very claim (2:38 p.m.) against people in Utah who were serious.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 4:30 p.m.

three11stu: Don't you hate that there isn't a sarcasm font?

• kkodey Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Looks like this will be a great program!!! If Mitt shows up, it will be right after he wins his primaries in Nevada and New Hampshire, and he will be well on his way to being our presidential nominee, which will double the excitement of this event!!!

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 1, 2011 12:22 a.m.

I know how I'll celebrate: Electing the organizer as the next president of the United States.

• Sanford SANDY, UT
    Dec. 1, 2011 9:14 a.m.

I like the idea of the anniversary celebration, but why are they relighting the torch? According to Olympic protocol, once the torch is extinguished at the end of the games, it is never to be relit again.

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Stanford,

Can you cite a source for that? The USC Trojans light their cauldron in The Coliseum at home games during the 4th quarter. The Coliseum is an Olympic stadium.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2011 2:49 p.m.

'Electing the organizer as the next president of the United States.' - Zona Zone | 12:22 a.m. Dec. 1, 2011

Maybe he'll give us all HEALTHCARE!

*'Mitt Romney steers clear of Ohio health, union issues' - By Dan Sewell - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/25/11

Then:

*'Mitt Romney reverses himself, supports anti-union law' - By Philip Elliott - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/26/11

Or, he might change his mind.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2012 8:01 p.m.

@Sanford

You are mistaken. The cauldron can be relit during any Olympics if the former host city chooses. It can also be relit to celebrate. The cauldron was relit on the 1 year anniversary in Salt Lake in 2003. The Vancouver cauldron was relit in Feb of 2011 to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the Olympics there. The Lake Placid Cauldron was relit in 2010 to celebrate the 30th anniversary. Sydney did it also in 2010 to celebrate the 10 year anniversary. I think if you do a search you will find that Salt Lake, won't be the only host city that will celebrate an Olympic anniversary by relighting the cauldron.