Faith

David Archuleta: the Eagle, the temple and the music

Comments

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:18 p.m.

This really is a terrific young lad. I've been thrilled with his music and the example for the young folks.

• cassiem Brigham City, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:21 p.m.

Loved the article about David Archuleta! He is such a beautiful person inside and out!!

• Well Read SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:25 p.m.

I met David art the Ogden Temple a couple years ago when he arrived to do some baptisms. What fine humble young man. I wish him well.

• rhed31 Draper, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:46 p.m.

Great article. :)

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:51 p.m.

This story brings much needed light to an impotant issue: too often, our society settles for mediocrity, when greatness is possible.

We were not placed on this Earth merely to get by with the least amount of effort possible. Indeed those who put forth little effort inevitably acheive little. The Creator expects much more of his children than this. We serve Him by always giving our greatest effort to acheive greatness.

We must, however, not lose sight of what greatness really is. Greatness cannot be obtained by cheating or disregarding one's values. Greatness can only be obtained through integrity, sacrifice, and moral ecellence.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:57 p.m.

This story brings much needed light to an important issue: too often, our society settles for mediocrity, when greatness is possible.

• Rob Logan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 10:06 p.m.

David is such a kind, sweet young man. I am so glad he lives the gospel and is such an inspiration to so many young people. Many more young men will go on to earn their Eagle Scout Awards because of David. Even us older people admire him and love to listen to his music.

• Chris Degn Seoul, Korea
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:02 p.m.

One more reason to like you, David. I'm my son's Wolf Cub Scout den leader here (2nd year for us in Scouts). He says he wants his Eagle someday. I will tell him about how you got yours despite your career, education, etc. Love your music, especially the Christmas music. Good stuff! Keep it up.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:23 p.m.

I am simply amazed by this young man! There are many things I regret from my youth, but not obtaining my Eagle Award is easily one of them. If you were a scouter yourself or know of one, you know how difficult this award is. Well done, David Archuleta! I'm even more of a fan of yours than I was before!

• gacanepa Villa Mercedes, San Luis, Argentina
    Nov. 29, 2011 5:50 a.m.

Does anyone know whether he is planning on serving a full-time mission for the Church? I have long wondered what it would be like to have 'Elder Archuleta' in our ward.

• WJ Mom WEST JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 7:07 a.m.

That's great that David Archuleta earned his eagle ... but was it him that earned it? Part of the requirements are for the scout to take the initiative and set up the Eagle project, and to do the contacting for the different merit badges yet in his case this was all done by his Scout leader (at least according to the article). This may seem minor to many people, and many will say that he is so busy he needed the exception, but the honor of the Eagle award shouldn't change because of celebrity status.

• JeffE Grantsville, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Our family has been friends with the Madsens (his scout master) for years. Cal and Sherry are wonderful people and have influenced many not so famous young men with their service.

• Melanie Alpine, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:05 a.m.

David has maintained himself so well with all his fame. I am very pleased with how grounded he is. I'm so happy he received his Eagle Scout award. It cracks me up that his name burst through so many bureaucratic processes in getting support for his merit badges and his Eagle project. We have had met much red tape for our boys getting their paperwork and projects done. It isn't easy.

Good job, David!

• K Mchenry, IL
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:23 a.m.

I thought marriage or mission is when you start going to temple?

• LeAnn Saint George, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:54 a.m.

I'm so glad that David is setting an example for the youth that to be cool you don't have to be bad, as a matter of fact that wears out quickly and you burn through a lot of relationship and get nothing accomplished. Being true to your self also doesn't mean rebelling, it means finding that inner voice that speaks to you and if you are really honest it is probably going to be something that resembles music. Beautiful Music! Thanks David for standing tall!

• scotu South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:56 a.m.

@ K

Youth in the LDS Church can obtain a "limited use" temple recommend which allows them to be baptized on behalf of deceased individuals who did not have the opportunity to hear about the need for baptism while on this earth and may desire it now. The youth must be at least 12 years old and deemed worthy by their ecclesiastical leader.

• barbararidinglowe Goshen, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:57 a.m.

It is wonderful to find someone so talented and seen on a worldwide scale, stick to the high standards and morals of the church. I am very happy that he has stayed active and continues to share his talents with others.

• LeAnn Saint George, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 9:02 a.m.

@K in Mchenry, IL - going through the temple does happen before you get married or go on a mission. But a person goes through for the purpose of getting the endowment. I know young women who have gone through and never gone on a mission and still are not married, but they go to the temple to do the work regardless. I didn't go through till I was in my late 40's. In other words you must go through before you go on a mission or have a temple marriage, but you don't have to be going on a mission or getting married to go through the temple and partake of those sacred ordinances. Hope that answers your question.

• carpoolmom SOUTH JORDAN, Salt Lake
    Nov. 29, 2011 9:15 a.m.

I agree with WJMom. I got taken to task for calling for my son to see about doing a project. I agree with the other posts how wonderful it is that he got his eagle and seems to be an exceptional kid and still humble and nice so it's not to take away from him. I just feel all kids should be treated the same. Also it was awesome that they allowed him to get his project done on time but disappointing that people only help celebrities. Again shouldn't all of our kids have the same respect given to them. Sad that his name had to be mentioned to get things moving.

• gacanepa Villa Mercedes, San Luis, Argentina
    Nov. 29, 2011 9:27 a.m.

@LeAnn in Saint George, UT and @K in Mchenry, IL - he must have gone to the temple to perform baptisms for the dead and not to receive his own endowment:
    Single members in their late teens or early twenties who have not received a mission call or who are not engaged to be married in the temple should not be recommended to the temple for their own endowment. They can, however, receive a Limited-Use Recommend to perform baptisms for the dead. The desire to witness temple marriages of siblings or friends is not sufficient reason for a young adult to be endowed (Nov. 12, 2002; see also First Presidency letter, June 21, 2005).
    (Quoted in Young Adults and the Temple, Elder Nelson, Church Educational System satellite broadcast address given on May 4, 2003, in Salt Lake City, Utah.)

• HappyDayz SANDY, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I believe David is a great kid! I am sure he worked really hard, but I also believe he shouldn't have received the special treatment.

" I had no sooner mentioned his name when she said, 'Let me call you back,' Madsen said. People were wonderful. All I had to do was mention his name and they were ready to bend over backward."

If it had been any other kid, would they have received the same?

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:41 a.m.

I'd suggest that any young man who is in a hurry to earn his Fire Safety badge contact the Murray Fire Department and request the same treatment they gave to David.

• PTSA supporter Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:47 a.m.

@K - You will note that this happened in Dec. 2010 not 2011. David has just turned 19, I believe, and very well may be preparing to go on a mission. The timing of the recommend to receive our endowments rests between the prespective recommend holder and his stake president, but is suggested prior to going on a mission or getting married.

@carpoolmom - hey, if I had a scout trying to hurry and get his Eagle done before he turned 18, and he just happened to be famous... I use his popularity to get it done, if that's what it took. We have had scout leaders do the same kind-of thing for some of our scouts who were in a time crunch. The main thing I think is that the scout organized everyone to help and get the project done, although it is nice if the scout is able to approach the city or whomever to make it happen.

I'm so glad he has done it and will be an example to others who may be busy with school and sports and haven't quite taken the time to finish! Congrats David!

• 3Girls Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:54 a.m.

I'm glad David pursued his Eagle even if there were a few exceptions made. I think he's doing his best under his particular circumstances and the rest of us can get off of our judgmental "I know best" high horses.

As far as the temple, that is completely up to his ecclesiastical leaders to decide if the time is right for him to receive his endowments. Yes, there are guidelines in the church handbooks, but church leaders are allowed to use their own inspiration under the direction of those who lead them. Why do we, as members of the church, think we need to second-guess everything for everybody else? We don't. Just live and let live, and believe that people are doing their best for themselves and for others. We don't have to be in charge of the lives of others!

• Mark C Gilbert, SC
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:59 a.m.

The response after mentioning David's name is more a problem of the person responding than of David or his Scout leader. Those people should examine themselves and their priorities. Perhaps they would consider any request to assist a Scout with as much import as helping a celebrity.

I have seen many Scouts helped along this same path with leaders and parents opening doors and doing things to help, responding to individual need and level of self-motivation. Some scouts are better organizers than others and the help should be and is usually tailored accordingly by parents and leaders, both of whom have better judgement of priorities than most teens. I'm glad they helped David see that there was something more important to them than his singing success. He will understand more as time passes. Give him a break--he's still young. He just might see the mission vision before it's too late.

As for the temple, you can go to the temple without going on a mission or being married. It is a personal thing between you and your Bishop but should be based on counsel of our Authorities as stated in the church handbook. I am confident that his going to the temple was based on sound principles.

• InspectorC Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 11:11 a.m.

HappyDayz @ 10:19 ---

If Governor Herbert (for example) calls a restaurant and needs a table for 10 (in 30 minutes!) do you think they wouldn't pull EVERY string in the book to accommodate him?? etc. etc. (endless examples)

Famous, rich, powerful people, VIPs and celebrities get "special treatment" every hour of every day. That's just reality. And that's OK.

I'm SO proud of David Archuleta getting his Eagle Award. I think that's totally awesome!! I'm GLAD that a few people stepped up and helped him (made phone calls, pulled strings, pushed, pleaded and begged him to finish).

David obviously had the desire and determination to finish his Eagle, and I'm confident HE did all the work required of him. It's OK that others helped guide, mentor and motivate him to get there!

• thedylster Alpine, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 11:56 a.m.

I think it's great that he got his Eagle Scout award. It really bothers me though that it wasn't him who was putting forth the effort of contacting the Fire Dept. or the city to finish up his merit badges or set up his project.
    It bothers me even more that they made exceptions to help him succeed just because his "name is David Archuleta." If any other boy (or their mom or neighbor, like David) was to call in 3 days before their birthday to hopefully get their Eagle award, there is no way they would be shown such generosity. Why does he deserve the right to procrastinate and then receive preferential treatment just because he was on American Idol?

• DC Reader WASHINGTON, DC
    Nov. 29, 2011 11:59 a.m.

No, it isn't "nice if the scout is able to approach the city or whomever to make it happen". That is his responsibility and a requirement for the Eagle Project. The requirement states "While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution,
    any school, or your community."

As a Scout leader and father of an Eagle Scout, I am dismayed with what has occured here. I see a lot of excuses made and exceptions given. Yes, leaders and parents open doors. I did the same for my son, though he was barely 13 at the time he started planning his project, not almost 18. However, his project wasn't handed to him with a plan, materials, and direction all put together. What leadership was demonstrated here? It sounds like "Hi, I'm David Archuleta. Would you like to help me plant some trees?"

I hope the Murray Fire Department and the Murray Parks/Rec Department are now prepared to fast-track every Boy Scout looking to pass off requirements. I'd hate to think they did this "because it was David Archuleta". That would certainly reflect poorly on the community.

• carpoolmom SOUTH JORDAN, Salt Lake
    Nov. 29, 2011 12:30 p.m.

I did have a scout that was trying to get it done and was treated pretty rude by everyone I contacted or my son contacted. I was told in every instance that my son would have to make the call.Yes I would probably try to pull some strings as well. You missed my point. I'm not faulting them I'm faulting us as human beings that we can't treat everyone with the dignity that they deserve. I just wish people could treat others with kindness and helpfulness whether or not they were rich, famous, poor or average.

• Axe-man OREM, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 12:52 p.m.

DC Reader,

I too am a Scout leader, and father of several girls. I got my Eagle one week before my 18th. You mention your son was "barely 13" when he started planning his project. I have a problem with Scouts "earning" their Personal Management before 14-15 because there's no realistic "management" taking place. "Allowance: Mom & Dad gave me $20. Spending: buy video game." etc. There's no requirement accommodating my preference - if they do the work required, they get the badge. It's not my place to judge your son's earning his Eagle "too young," because there are authorities in place to assess each Scout's work. David's Scout leaders at the local, district, and council level seem satisfied with the work done and how it was done. Why do you find fault based on a few paragraphs? Except for the city and fire department quickly giving results, I see no broken rules here. Most Scouts need help from parents/leaders finding a project. What part of someone else helping find contacts or a project doesn't fall under "plan, develop, and give leadership"? It doesn't say "find a project without any assistance."

• joshbrown decatur, il
    Nov. 29, 2011 12:56 p.m.

DC Reader,
    I don't know how much you and your community could help boy scouts, but my friend's son was pursuing his Eagle before he went abroad, and people around him helped him. His parents were not even involved in boyscout, but he worked on an environmental project with help of leaders. He was not a celebrity, but the community helped him. What's important is his willingness to finish the project and took values of the Eagle to his heart and everyone in the community willingly supported him. Same is true for David Archuleta. The more important thing you should focus is not his fame, but his heart and efforts to signify the value of the Eagle Scout.

BTW, celebrities with fame and everything don't pay attention to the importance of boy scout. Why should they? It's not Grammy or American Music Award, nothing important to their status or career. But to him, it is a different story and that's why this young man always gets my attention. I also saw pictures of his trip to India where he washed lepers' feet and helped the needy. Just amazing.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 2:22 p.m.

David should serve a mission. The Lord will bless him and his career if he does.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Nov. 29, 2011 5:20 p.m.

I so admire David and admire that he is willing to share his life, knowing that some people will judge him and decide what is best for him. So lets weigh a couple of things here.

1. David gets special treatment to get his eagle scout.

Negative-This is playing favorites.
    Positive-Young boys will follow Davids example and more will pursue this.
    Reality - David is busy busy busy and hardly home to get this done, but he did it.

2. David takes out his endowments, it says "Archuleta, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, recently went through the Jordan River Utah Temple." Going through is more then baptisms.

Negative-I can't think of any.
    Positive-This young man has a very good and tender spirit and going to the temple will be a strength for him.
    Reality - It is right for him.

3. David and a mission.

Negative - People judging him for not going on a "formal" mission.
    Positive - This kid is on a mission, I just read that he was open to serving a mission if the cards were right.
    Reality - He brings a positive image to the LDS church constantly.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Yep, the popular and famous always get VIP treatment from the average person. It is when the most humble and unknown people get VIP treatment that deserves special recognition. Desnews, find me a story about that and I'll consider it a story worth reading.

• Bootsy SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 5:54 p.m.

David is almost 21. A mission would be very difficult right now since he has worldwide recognition. He really is serving as a missionary in everything he does. Whether he manages a full-time mission or not will remain to be seen.

Cal Madsen is a wonderful man, as are all the leaders that David worked with. My son had his Eagle Board of Review with the same men on the same day as David. I don't know of any of the scouts who worked with him over the years who resents David's special treatment in getting some things pushed through. I know many boys who rush to get their Eagles before their 18th birthdays that aren't nearly as busy as David. I personally had some scout leaders push through my son's papers quickly so he could have his Court of Honor while his dad was in town.

As far as the Eagle project, I know my son's leader approached him about a service that needed to be done, and he took it from there. While he may have gotten help with the timing of his last merit badge and project, he had to earn ALL the others, too.

• kmb LA GRANGE, KY
    Nov. 29, 2011 6:45 p.m.

David is so humble that any "special treatment" he receives is not because he necessarily seeks it. Brother Madsen's word choice may have been awkward, but we are in no position to judge when we go solely by what the media puts out there. We don't know all the circumstances. As for the temple, that is between David, his bishop, and the Lord. I support David as long as he keeps his standards high and sings beautiful, uplifting music!

• OLD-GUY Central, Utah
    Nov. 29, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Congratulations to David and to those who worked with him.

My only concern is, as some have already mentioned, that if you are a celebrity, some young men may feel that is what it takes, rather than personal inititative and hard work.

I didn't get beyond Life Scout and no one pushed me to do so, on the other hand my son's wife has made sure that each of the boys worked and got their Eagle. Time was spent with them on Scouting activities since they were Cubs.

It has been shown that on the average, those who earn their Eagle Scout rank do better in college, business and involvement in their community. If that is so, we are helping to train our future leaders. I hope each of us will encourage and support worthy programs, such as Scouting and appropriate participation. I think a better future will be the reward.

Maybe each of us could learn the Scout Oath, Motto and Law and see if there are ways we can put these and other good ideals into everyday practice by each of us and be good examples to them.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:03 p.m.

I personally think that contestants on these shows need to be 18 and done with high school. Because of doing it early kids miss out on doing things in the typical way. Like scouting. He still has an amazing voice, his talent would have kept.

As a kid's librarian out of state I can't tell you how many mom's are intricately involved involved in the badge process. Though with the Eagle only had the scouts call the library asking to use the location as a book drop off for donations to children's hospital or some such project. Not mom.

I'm not LDS but even I know going through the Temple is different than doing baptisms which start around 12? He was eligible for those long before Idol. I'm glad he's getting to do so many experiences even with the added responsibility of shows and such. Also if he just called the fire station himself would they have thought it was a prank? He's probably making people more comfortable with your church than the two people randomly knocking on a door with his music and example. Some want the door, some need the example of a member.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Nov. 29, 2011 11:17 p.m.

Yeah, I have to agree with carpoolmom about treating everyone the same. We had a young man in our ward that was so close. The man who was to approve the award took issue with the fact that the scout had already started the eagle project before he had consulted the leader in question. The result? You can guess, the kid didn't get his eagle. Yes, I would hope that kids would forge on when something like this happens, but more often than not the scout would allow discouragement to take over.

• DC Reader WASHINGTON, DC
    Nov. 30, 2011 7:25 a.m.

@AxeMan... You're right, we don't have the full story. However, based on the few paragraphs written, it is fairly well implied that this all took place in less than a week before David's 18th birthday. Excuse my cynicism, but after watching and working with over 30 Eagle Scouts during the last five years, I have a pretty good idea of what's involved with planning, developing, and giving leadership on the Project.

Perhaps I'm jaded by the fact that my Eagles are from a non-LDS troop, but an Eagle is an Eagle, and they should all meet a certain standard. A concept-to-completion 3-day project just doesn't quite fit my mold, especially knowing what the requirements are and what's involved. This project smells too much of adult intervention and favoritism, and no amount of rah-rah is going to change that. This was not a boy-planned, boy-run, boy-led project. The article pretty well outlines it.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 8:50 a.m.

DC Reader: "Good on David for recognizing the importance of earning the Eagle. Good on him for getting it. I'm more impressed with the autistic Eagle who earned the 132 MBs. That young man EARNED his Eagle." I'm Also VERY impressed with that. it is an absolutely incredible achievement! BUT; I'm pretty sure he didn't do them with no help from a concerned and loving parent and scout leader.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 30, 2011 9:44 a.m.

For the negative comments about David receiving "special treatment" not afforded other scouters, you're likely the same who, if you've ever worked in the scouting program, didn't know how to make scouting fun for the kids & how to be a true leader and friend. I've had many years of scouting leadership at the district level and have been a merit badge counselor for even longer. My approach to a 17 year-old scout trying to obtain certain merit badges, as long as I see effort and "due dilligence", I'm not going to hold up a kid because he may not have every "nook & cranny" marked off. That's when I apply the spirit vs. the letter of the law. I've had personal experience with other scouting leaders, both in and out of the church, who share the sentiment shared by the negative comments. I applaud Cal Madsen for his extraordinary efforts. Kudos to him for NOT letting one of "his boys" fall through the crack, a boy who was under personal circumstances that 99.999% of anyone else his age would never experience.

• nu2ut Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 9:48 a.m.

@Axe-Man, your critisim of @DC Reader is illustrative of the issue you bring up. You, as someone who received his Eagle 'just before turning 18' would never find fault in someone else who did the same. And your argument of getting awards as a young teen is weak, at best. I would much prefer someone who is active, getting an Eagle at 13 or 14 or 15 and then 'giving back' to someone who obviously isn't active in Scouting, isn't carrying a 'leadership position', and isn't fulfilling what the requires state. But, then again, that's become the norm, especially in the LDS Scouting Community. We continue to cheapen the institution of scouting because we, as adults, feel it's mandatory for kids to get their Eagles... no matter the corners we have to cut, strings we have to pull, and boys we have to prod. I have pushed for years to get the church out of scouting. The Duty To God program is wonderful and can stand on its own as a YM Program. Then, if kids WANT to be part of scouting they can join a voluntary troop instead of a troop that registeres every young man.

• nu2ut Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 30, 2011 9:59 a.m.

@So. Cal Reader, you describe the Cub Scout Program very well. That's the program where you take 'effort' into consideration when boys are working on badges. Boy Scouting is supposed to be different. I, too, have been in the scouting organization for many years (30+ years) and know there is a way to make the program fun. However, there's a reason they call them "requirements." If a boy fulfills them, the badge (Merit Badge or Rank Advancement) means more to them! And while you pass along your kudos for "NOT letting one of his boys fall through the cracks", I ask why that matters. Sure, this "boy" in question is under personal circumstances that others will never expeience. That's great. Let him make his mark in music. He can be a great ambassador for himself, his family, and even his church. But 'receiving' an Eagle like this does not mean he's a quality ambassador of BSA. The mentality of the little league coach, who has to give every boy a trophey, doesn't reward actual behavior and, in reality, cheapens the importance of the award for others.

• DC Reader WASHINGTON, DC
    Nov. 30, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Rare is the Scout who earns Eagle without parental support. This mantra is repeated in our troop at every Court of Honor where an Eagle is recognized. There is no award or advancement possible without adult involvement.

My issue is with the extreme level of adult involvement, the tripping-over-themselves behavior on the part of the Murray FD and Parks/Rec folks, and the implied pre-packaged nature of the Project. Mr. Madsen made the calls and the arrangements. This is not how it should be. Eagle advisors advise, not make the phone calls.

The typical Eagle Project takes 3-6 months from concept to completion. Google "Squidoo Eagle Scout Leadership" and check out the results. You'll see some examples of why. David's project should not have been a 3-day project.

@SoCal, your personal attack is noted. Mr. Madsen may have taken the extra step, but that step went too far in this Scouter's opinion. Mr. Archuleta was given his Eagle, and an Eagle Scout he will be. That's something 96% of Scouts never experience. From the way this story was written, much was left to be desired and the boy-ownership was left very far behind.

• azgirl60 MESA, AZ
    Nov. 30, 2011 11:38 a.m.

It is up to his bishop to give the okay for him to go to the temple for his own endowments, even if he is not going on a mission. I have yet to hear if David is going on a mission. I would imagine that he will not, because it would make it really hard on the mission he would be in. Girls around him continually and joining the church just to say that they were baptized by David Archuleta. I know that the Osmond's did not serve missions either, but all went through the temple too. I wish him luck in whatever he does. He is a great example with what he is doing. That is his mission at this point in his life. He is doing great things and showing teenagers that you can do good and still have a great life.

• jhbwalton BOISE, ID
    Nov. 30, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Like so many, I congratulate David on his musical accomplishments. Clearly this is his passion and his love. However I don't agree that his Scouting achievements are as noteworthy, and like others am dissapointed tha the news highlighted these achievements. I wish they would spend equal time recognizing the many Y.M. who aren't noteworthy stars, and don't have the Fire department drop everything because their Scout leader called for them, or better yet, when they call. In our community the Parks and Rec won't even talk to anyone other than the scout regarding an Eagle project. I'm glad that David recieved his Eagle award, and know it will be a blessing. Like others, I don't think he should be the poster child for Eagle Accomplishments.

• BirdmanKen Fishers, IN
    Nov. 30, 2011 7:34 p.m.

I, too, had three merit badges to go three weeks before my 18th birthday. But I decided then and there that I wanted to finish the dang thing, and for over 20 years now I've been very happy with the decision to complete my Eagle Scout requirements.

• SamiAntha Murray, UT
    Dec. 1, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Actually the Osmonds DID serve missions. All but Donny that is. Donny touched MILLIONS, and by example, taught the gospel, had he served a 'formal' mission he would have touched 100's. The same may be for David. An impressive young man. I kind of cringed when he got special treatment but from reading positive comments I've changed my mind. It's all good

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Dec. 2, 2011 12:23 p.m.

I've been reading all the comments either condemning those that helpe David or giving praise that he accomplished something that few scouts ever get done. The question I have is why is it important as to how it was accomplished. The fact is he had the desire and it was done.

Secondly, I've seen where some even condemn the Church because it continues to support the Boy Scouts of America. Do you really know more than the President of the Church or even the Quroum of the Twelve. One of the greatest supporters of scouting is Elder Perry. There is no reason why scouting should be disbanded except for those who feel oppressed by it.

One thing that has been stated throughout by some is that if a scout has not reached Eagle by 16 years of age, they probably will not. We should be happy that David has achieved his Eagle. Some of your judgements are just wrong. You want to follow the law. Sounds just like the pharisees when Christ walked the earth. They were so hung up on the law, they forgot to listen to the spirit.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Dec. 2, 2011 6:47 p.m.

I can understand a famous person interfering with sincere conversions. But what about humanitarian project? Maybe high profile people should be doing those sorts of efforts if they still want to serve a mission.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Dec. 2, 2011 10:53 p.m.

The boys who have obtained the Eagle Rank are truly Eagle Scouts if they live up to the Eagle Oath, and continue to help other scouts along their scouting path. Those that fall off are Eagles in name only, and do not carry on the true scouting spirit.