Utah State accepts bid to play in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

Comments

• scotsman Logan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 5:34 p.m.

It's been a long time coming, way to go Aggies! Can't wait to dust off the bowling shoes

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 5:43 p.m.

Nice job Aggies! I can't wait to watch and cheer for you. I'll look forward to see how your program develops within the next couple years.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Congratulations Aggies. You've earned it.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 5:49 p.m.

Congratulations Aggies!!!!

The only thing that would make it more perfect would for you to play the Utes because you'd defeat them!

Beat whomever you play, ok?

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 6:14 p.m.

An excellent achievement for players, staff, and community.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 6:17 p.m.

Congratulations Ags...

Sorry Utah, but the Cherry Pit Bowl in Brigham City is still open.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 6:22 p.m.

I have more respect for our armed forces than a sack of Potatoes.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Great job Aggies. There have been a lot of nay-sayers for the past three years. Coach A has taken great steps to build USU's football program. Continue to expect more to come.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 6:59 p.m.

From a BYU fan, Congrats Aggies! I hope you are able to become a Bowl regular in years to come. I also hope you remain good enough to give a good Cougar team a good game every year (as long as my Cougars keep winning the vast majority of the time).

As a side note, I can't help but comment that the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl sounds more like something off of the menu at some fast food restaurant than a football game.

• Waylon77 Logan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:05 p.m.

I think the potato bowl is a perfect match for an ag school. In fact ag related bowls have kind of been USU's history, grape, raisin, and now potato. Naturally, the next bowl appearance has got to be orange right? Well here's to hoping. Go Aggies, great season.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:06 p.m.

A sincere congratulations to the Aggies! My second favorite team in Utah.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Not the sexiest name for a bowl game I've ever seen, but it's a bowl none the less!

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:22 p.m.

I'm a die-hard BYU fan, but I'm more excited for the Aggies than BYU...future looks bleak compared to the past...but hey, BYU has more money in their pockets than ever before...that's really what it's all about, eh?

But I sat at a reception with one of the Aggie players, and he was a class act...unfortunately he's been unable to play due to surgery, but great guy! I think the Aggies are alright...

• brluthi Provo, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:25 p.m.

Congrats Aggies! It's great to see you bowling this year

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:34 p.m.

Congrats. Who cares which bowl game it is. This is a positive step in the right direction for Coach Anderson and the Aggies.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 7:36 p.m.

Why am I envisioning them playing in a large mess of mashed potatoes?

Will the fans be allowed to throw chips on the field, a la tortillas at a more famous bowl?

Well, at least all "eyes" will be on USU for once.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:06 p.m.

Hey, a lot of great bowl games are named for agricultural products - Orange, Cotton, Rose, Sugar and now Potato.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 8:45 p.m.

Look for Anderson to get a better coaching offer from a better football school.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Great job Aggies. You could have given up with those early season heartbreaking losses. But, way to regroup and bring it the rest of the season. And for those BYU fans that can't just congratulate USU without slamming the Utes, have fun playing SMU or Lone Peak or whoever you play in the 5A Championship game. Great finish to a great high school schedule Cougs!

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:12 p.m.

Three football teams bowling from Utah? Awesome!

• Saltvegas Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nov. 28, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Every game exciting and now a bowl appearance! What a change from past seasons.
    Congratulations Aggies...keep it going.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:11 p.m.

Veracity,

The Utes are likely heading to the Sun Bowl. Look it up. A bash on Utah means nothing when it's not supported by citations and childish.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Look for Anderson to be on the short list to hire at UCLA and Arizona. He won enough in Logan to be bowl eligible and that was harder than what Kyle accomplished.

Play well Aggies and win the Bowl Game.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Make that "Andersen"...sorry for the typo.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Congratulations Aggies! This has been a great season for USU - so close to being 10 - 2. Coach Anderson has done a great job turning that program around. I hope he stays for a while.

Good luck in you bowl game and this week against New Mexico State.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 28, 2011 11:49 p.m.

Congrats to the Aggies. Coach A has good things happening in Logan and I understand this year's recruiting class is looking strong. Well done.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Nov. 29, 2011 3:34 a.m.

Aggies, you are making great strides. This invite takes the pressure off of the last game at New Mexico State. But, don't take you eyes off that one.

• HugMe Logan, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 4:52 a.m.

Great job Aggies. It has been an exciting year, but two more games to go. Win both and it will be a 8-5 season. Next year looks like it will even be better. Things are looking brighter for sure.

I also liked oatmeals comment. 3 teams from Utah are going bowling. I am looking forward to all of them. Football in Utah is pretty good.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 5:21 a.m.

Congrats to the Aggies!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 6:23 a.m.

Andersen won't be on the list for UCLA, ASU or any other team this year. They will all go after a big name coach, not that he shouldn't be on there because he is a great coach and has done a great job at USU. This team is very deserving and hopefully will finish strong at NMSU. GO AGGIES!

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Nov. 29, 2011 6:49 a.m.

There are a lot of reasons to go to a bowl--a lot of extra practices, a reward for hard work, and some exposure--perhaps minor compared to some other bowls, but a lot more than not going to a bowl. Kevin McDonald, the bowl's executive director said in the official announcement:

"Utah State is an ideal team for us to host at the Bowl. The school is in close proximity to Idahos potato region, their fans and students are passionate and willing to travel and the team is well‐coached and plays with intensity qualities that local fans are accustomed to."

USU fans should be happy with the accolades. Hopefully they will prove him right about willingness to travel the 300 miles to Boise.

And the $750K payout is larger than the $600K payout at the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl in Dallas.

Potatoes are key to Idaho's economy. I suppose it was only a matter of time before the Idaho Potato Commission bought out the naming rights to the only bowl game in their state. Micron, MPC Computers, and Roady's Truck Stops just don't say "Idaho" as well as "Potatoes" do.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 7:39 a.m.

We'll done Aggies! I was hoping you would play Utah somewhere but we will take it!

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:01 a.m.

These comments have included a lot of snide remarks about the name of the Potato Bowl. I guess those folks don't realize that Idaho is world-famous for its potatoes.

As an Aggie grad, congratulations to the team and their coach!

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:09 a.m.

The Aggies are still the best team not to win. So many games they could have won and put them into the spot light. I just hope they win this one - Good for you.

I hope you Aggie fans go to the game and have a great time - it is a lot of fun and something you remember for a long time. Get off the old bootie and just do it!

I still remember being at the 1980 Holiday Bowl and seeing that catch live. It is a fun memory -
    Potato Bowl or Rose Bowl - when you are there all that matters is winning that game - I don't know who won the other Bowls in any year I went to see BYU play but I do remember the ones I went to - so much fun. Take your family, a friend or your son. Make a great memory and you can enjoy the story for many years to come.

And when you win- skip the rules - storm the field - no matter how old you are it is a great time to be out there with the team.

This team is special - don't miss it.

Good Hunting.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Nov. 29, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Congrats to the Aggies!! And kudos to the Coaching staff for turning the program around!

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 9:01 a.m.

What's a Famous Potato Bowl? My goodness. What is the payout and what will the Aggies net in this gigantic undertaking. And the spectre of playing MAC teams Northern Illinois, Toledo and the like. Oh boy. I can't wait. December 17 is it? I will be glued to the tube, no doubt. I do put USU on a par with BYU. The Aggies had BYU in the bag and let them out of it.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Spending the summer in Cache County this year made me fall in love with the city of Logan, the Utah Festival Opera Community Theatre, Farmer's Market, Utah State University and their delicious Aggie Ice Cream!

Because of this year's heroic victories mingled with very winnable but agonizing defeats, I have grown to appreciate Coach A and his big-hearted football squad. Yes, I'm now a fan!

(I love cheering for a good team without having to endure mindless back and forth bickering from foolish fanatics from opposing schools)

Keep up the great work Aggies. I'm one step closer to including your jersey in my wardrobe!

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 29, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Almost everywhere I've gone in the world on business and mentioned that I hail from Idaho originally, the person I've told says the exact same things: Oh - Potato place and something about sun valley. Good that the Aggies get to play there - enjoy the blue turf :)

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 12:26 p.m.

As a die-hard BYU fan, I am excited for the Aggies to be playing in a bowl game. Playing in a stadium relatively close to home, I know USU fans will have Bronco Stadium rocking. Go Aggies!

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Nov. 29, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Congratulations to the Aggies. Hopefully Gary Anderson will stay in Logan, i like what he is going up there and think he is a good fit for the school.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Re: Mike Johnson,

Where did you get your (mis)information on bowl payouts? The projected payout for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is $650,000 while it is $1.2 million for the Armed Forces Bowl. And since BYU does not have to share their bowl money with a conference, they keep it all. Luckily Boise is only a bus ride away, or else USU would probably lose money on its bowl game.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 2:50 p.m.

congrats to the Aggies on their bowl, I just wish I didn't have to squint to watch it on that awful blue turf for three hours, I can't even stand watching highlights let alone an entire game. I wish Boise would get rid of the circus side show and instead rely on their on-field success for notoriety. Either way congrats to the Aggies on their success this season.

• WA-Aggie Kent, WA
    Nov. 29, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Looks like the Potato bowl is listed @ $750 everywhere. Armed forces ranges from $600-$1.2.

I am not sure who is right, but Wikipedia may be incorrect Mr Giant fan.

This site shows 600k collegefootballpoll shows $600K

But being independant, you don't get a share of any other $. Even the WAC may have 4 total bowl teams unless BYU corrects its past history over on the rock.

• Portland Beavers SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 29, 2011 7:57 p.m.

@giantfan

A little touchy, the second it's about some other team than the y you get so technical. Let them have their fun, let them think they are getting more. I really don't know, could care less Utah State University Aggies are going bowling. You guys played in 5 bus rides away in a row, and if I remember right the New Mexico Bowl last year was $250,000 for your payout last year. That's the same you guys are paying all those WAC teams to play you in Oct and Nov.

Great job Aggies

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 29, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Great job Aggies! That is awesome you are headed to a bowl game, that running back Mr. Turbin is the real deal, love watching him. Coach Andersen rocks! Good luck!

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Nov. 30, 2011 4:58 p.m.

giantfan, the $1.2 million for the Armed Forces Bowl is the combined payout to both teams. The only site I have seen that amount for the Armed Forces Bowl has $4 million for the Sun Bowl and $36 million for the Rose Bowl and so on. I have seen $750K for the Famous Potato Bowl in several authoritative sources and your $650K is the first I have seen at it at any other level.

So, thanks for calling my correct payout numbers "misinformation" and supplying incorrect ones to replace them.

It is true that BYU doesn't have to share with a conference, nor does BYU get shares from other bowls that others would bring to the table if BYU were in a conference. However, the payout is a measure of the relative esteem of the bowl. Don't worry, in 2012, BYU can earn a birth in the Poinsettia Bowl and in 2013 in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.