Blue roundup: BYU basketball team will face hostile crowd at USU

Comments

• IDC Boise, ID
    Nov. 10, 2011 1:26 p.m.

I hope the Cougars find some defense.

Please tell me that the Utah Statesman is a school paper.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Prime opportunity for the Aggies to demonstrate their class, or lack thereof.

• ProvoAggie Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 1:50 p.m.

I'm an Aggie fan and I'm pretty embarrassed by the article in the statesman. It wasn't thought out at all. I'm hoping that USU will win this game but both teams have a lot of questions that still need to be answered. The Spectrum will definitely play in USU's favor and I hope that is enough.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 1:51 p.m.

"Blue roundup: BYU basketball team will face hostile crowd at USU"

===

I believe this is a hostile crowd that BYU deserves.

Classless message on the Jumbo-tron last year.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 1:55 p.m.

IDC

"Please tell me that the Utah Statesman is a school paper."

Isn't that blatantly obvious?

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Sold out crowd. The Spectrum will be rocking so loud that they will feel tremors in Utah county. Get ready to rumble.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Truth Machine | 2:26 p.m. Nov. 10, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "Veritas Aequitas

Why should BYU's basketball players be subjected to hostility because of the stupidity of one fill-in scoreboard operator whose message was quickly erased and for which BYU quickly appologized? Obviously you don't believe in the axiom to forgive and forget."

===

It has nothing to do with me.

Obviously you fail to believe in reality.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas

I have no problem accepting reality; I just don't have any tollerance for excusing boorish behavior. I was as disgusted with the inappropriate message posted on the BYU scoreboard as I was with the vile chants of Aggie fans in the ESA a couple of years ago.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Truth Machine

It is college basketball. College students having a great time. If you have too little tollerance for such boorish behavior and vile chants perhaps you should stay home for some crumpets and a spot of tea old man.

I am guessing you're not too fond of the Aggie spirit shirts. "Show them your A game" and "Hail Utah State Aggies".

It will be a great game. Go Aggies!!!

• Bluewombat8 Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 4:30 p.m.

That prediction was ridiculous. Sounds like whoever route it was a homer homer hoemr

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 10, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Why isn't this game on TV outside of Utah? C'mon BYU-TV run that HD truck up to Logan and pick up this game. I went to both schools and would love to see these two great teams go at it.

• kanaka818 West Hills, CA
    Nov. 10, 2011 5:01 p.m.

Runner:

I agree. If BYUtv can make it all the way to Oregon, why not to Logan? I want to view the game in L.A.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Nov. 10, 2011 5:19 p.m.

It's on ESPN3

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 6:52 p.m.

Sorry, Go Big Blue!!!, but most of the students at Utah State are LDS and they know when they've crossed the line from having a good time to vile and boorish. Someday when you grow up you'll understand the difference.

• kanaka818 West Hills, CA
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:32 p.m.

SCCougar:

Thanks for the info.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2011 8:49 p.m.

"I am guessing you're not too fond of the Aggie spirit shirts."

I couldn't care less about the t'shirts Aggie fans wear, but I do find it curious that almost as many Aggie fans wear anti-BYU shirts as wear pro-Aggie shirts, but I've never seen a BYU fan wearing an anti-USU shirt.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 11:13 p.m.

Truth Machine | 3:16 p.m. Nov. 10, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "Veritas Aequitas

I have no problem accepting reality; I just don't have any tollerance for excusing boorish behavior."

===

My advice then is to find a pillow, a blanket and a nice PBS movie, because the BYU team is in for, as the article suggested, a "Hostile Crowd".

"Tollerance" [sic] or not, it's coming.

Let's see if BYU can play above it. I have seen both of BYU's preseason games at the MC up close, and while I think the team has solid prospects, they have not played a Stew coached team. If they had problems with Jon Judkins, they will have their hands full.

Sorry there Bubba, get ready for boorish behavior.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Nov. 11, 2011 12:02 a.m.

Veritas Aequitas

Get real. Every team that plays in the Spectrum is subjected to the same boorish behavior. Pretending that it results from some perceived former injustice is simply naive. The Aggie student section has acted this way for decades.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Almost 50 and hope to never grow up.

National broadcasters that attend a game in the Spectrum are awestruck at the amazing Aggie student section. I can understand your distaste for having to play in Cache Valley. It isn't fun being the losing team. Last I checked Stew in the Spectrum was 193 to 13.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:06 a.m.

I was at the game at the ESA a few years ago. I have no idea what you are talking about as far as chants. Please fill us all in.
    The thing I remember from that game is that all the BYU students I was with were telling me how pathetic their fans are in comparison to USU (no joke).

Don't be so thin skinned! Everything that the student section does is in good fun, and in no way harmful to the players (unless they have the worlds most fragile ego). Have you EVER played sports?
    It should be a good game. Can't wait to hear the student section and the "Winning Team" chant.

• CG Orem, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Go Big Blue!!!

Stew has a great record in the Spectrum, but unfortunately, it's been built mostly on cupcakes. Even this year, instead of facing Jimmer, Jackson, and Davies, you're facing a rebuilding BYU team with nine freshmen on the roster.

I suspect that Stew's record wouldn't be nearly as good if he'd had to face BYU, Utah, SDSU, UNLV and New Mexico home-and-home every season.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Ragnar Danneskjold

I was also at the BYU-USU in the ESA and I'd be happy to quote exactly what the USU student section was chanting, but it would never get past the DN censors.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:56 a.m.

I could tell you countless horrible things that BYU fans have said to me and my team. I will never have to prove it because I can hide behind the "censors", but just take the word of an anonymous poster on a board known for baseless comments.
    See, I can do it too.

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:18 p.m.

GO AGGIES!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:24 p.m.

Criticizing boorish Aggie fans is an exercise in futility. Go up to Cache Valley and play a good game, win or lose. Being an Aggie fan is its own punishment.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:10 p.m.

The boorish behavior doesn't bother me, I just find it amusing, and telling.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Nov. 12, 2011 1:08 p.m.

Go the people complaining about the Statesman article.. there were 2 articles,1 for USU 1 for BYU. They left out the one for BYU in the Des News. Plus its a school paper.... chill