U.S. & World

Huntsman expects success in New Hampshire; calls Romney a 'well-lubricated weather vane'

Comments

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Considering these latest Huntsman ads attacking Romney, wasnt he (Jon) a fierce critic of negative campaigning at the beginning, and he said he will rise above them? I also wonder if its possible to be a good member of the LDS Church and being a cutthroat - political or otherwise - at the same time, especially since you cannot impugn and vilify policy positions without attacking the character of your opponent too, I believe. I also think theres more hostility - albeit more covertly - between Huntsman and Romney than between Romney and others (except Perry, maybe).

The one big plus for Jon Huntsmans campaign is boosting his daughters image and popularity; they have become a lot more popular than him. I think one of them would garner more votes than him, had she run.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Sorry Jon, it seems to be time to fold the tent and cut your losses...

• Geezer Catonsville, MD
    Oct. 28, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Many Republican voters in New Hampshire will appreciate Jon Huntsman's policy positions and his willingness to depart from right-wing orthodoxy. New England has a strong tradition of Republican lawmakers capable of working across party lines to strike reasonable compromises.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Oct. 28, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Just drop out Huntsman. You are dead last in most polls and this country doesn't need what you have to offer. It need the radical change of Ron Paul.

• dogchow1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 4:51 p.m.

If his definition of success is to go from 1% to 1.5% in the polls I guess he'll feel pretty good.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 5:51 p.m.

I just hate to see him wasting all his time and money.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 5:59 p.m.

I don't believe Mitt got himself elected Governor and then left it mid-term, or that he deserted the Olympics mid-way to do something else, but finished the job for his elected term.

Also have a problem with Jon Huntsman dropping out of high school, and respect his right to do so, but how can he assure us he will finish the job of Pres. if he got it?

Jon does as he pleases, it seems, when he pleases...what would that mean for the future...

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Let's dig back in the archives a couple of months ago when Jon said "he would take first in NH." I think the only thing Jon is doing Is to make a fool of himself. Maybe it's time for another appearance on The View.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Stay the course Jon, you have what "NONE" of the other candidates have and that is integrity, honesty, and love for your fellow man and country! These radical fantasy jokers opposing you only have the same, a radical, greedy, childs mentality approach to very serious issues facing this country and in the end people "will" get what they deserve! You have compassion, and the will to be a winner in life and therefore will be graded as such. These negative malcontents that want something for nothing will "never" understand what character and integrity means. You were a great govenor and left this state in very good shape when you left. That said it's to bad that your replacement wasn't half what you were. we are suffering for that daily now!

• tabuno Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:42 p.m.

A decent showing in New Hampshire will enable Huntsman to remain a viable moderate Republican candidate that could threaten Obama if a face to face election, a reason that Obama had him appointed to his Administration as Ambassador to China. If Romney continues to falter and be unable to pick up more support from Republicans, Huntsman may be the only real Republican candidate with any chance of beating Obama. It will be up the Republican establishment to decide if they want to win or lose the Presidency next year or let the conservative wing lose on principle.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:09 p.m.

I wonder if all those flat taxers believe we should have a flat income or a flat wealth distribution? Those who benefit the most and can afford the most should pay more. I agree we need to get spending down and cut out the waste and change our entitlement mentality. I also believe in tax simplification. But a 2 or 3 tier income tax system can be just as simple as a flat tax. What is the rationale for a flat income tax rate and shifting property taxes to taxes on food?

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:33 p.m.

I loved Hunstman's little poke at Republicans today (I am one): "....that was back when Republicans apparently believed in science...." This is one of the things I am frustrated about with many conservatives, and one reason I love Huntsman. Kudos to him.

On the whole, we have far too many citizens on both ends of the spectrum who will not look at data if it challenges their cherished notions, and too many politicians who kowtow to those elements.

On a side note, FDRfan (10:09) is absolutely right about the tax code fix we need. The flat tax appeals because of its simplicity compared to the monstrosity we have created, but there are ways to drastically simplify the code and still avoid being so regressive. It's not rocket science, either; it's just that everyone has their pet exemptions, so we sit.

• Luke5465746736 CINCINNATI, OH
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:07 a.m.

A well oiled weather vane? I swear, the way he clings to his little quips makes me think he gets them from somebody else, a speech writer or somebody. Then he uses them every chance he can get for the next 72 hours. First in the speech, then with Blitzer on television? Okay, everybody heard it the first time. How he gets away calling somebody else a weather vane is crazy. Laughable, really.

• sls Columbia, MO
    Oct. 29, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Huntsman is just wasting his time and money. He should be supporting Romney in order to reduce the anti-Mormon bigotry out there and biding his time for a run in four years when he has properly laid the groundwork.

• AmPatriot Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Now if we can get Huntsman out of running our next hope is to eliminate Romney and Perry as well, they are all spineless terrorist supporting fugitive illegal foreign nationals as cheap labor for american businesses and farmers. They are not for the working americans and their names should be flashing across this country at these wall street sit-in as economic problem makers.

Sad to say, but it is the Republicans immediate agenda to overthrow workers and their rights in the United States. It is the Republican mandate to repeal the federal labor laws (minimum wages and workers rights), EEO, OSHA, and organized labor whether union or not.

We still need someone willing to stand up to corporate america and anti labor groups, including Obama, and start putting United back in the country's citizens. We need unification, not diversified cultural segregation and division of laws and rights by race, culture, religion, or sex. And if Donald Trump is not willing to step in yet, the only true alternative to uniting America is Ron Paul.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:53 a.m.

• MEB SLC, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:54 a.m.

OK, JoeMoe and FDRfan, here's a little math for you. I write slowly so that you can understand. If I make $100K per year, and the flat tax rate is 9%, I pay $9000.00 in Federal Income Tax. If you make $10K per year, you pay $900. Doesn't that mean that I am paying 10x what you are paying for exactly the same services? Exactly how is that regressive? Sounds pretty progressive to me. Or was the math too complex?

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Too bad Rick Perry didn't think of getting out of the debate circus like Huntsman did. Several of the comments above want him to quit now so he won't embarrass Mitt (or the Mormon voters). He has set up the race as a "one and done" or as torpedo to Mitt chances. New Hampshire voters can't spell Utah and won't act sheep like in picking their winner. I for one am looking forward to the race...it just might show why Romney can't get beyond the low twenties in the polls even though other candidates are in a downward spiral.

• Wixom Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Dear Jon, we've found someone else, have a good life

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:25 a.m.

And now for a little reality, brought to you by Real Clear Politics. The RCP average poll numbers for this week for the GOP New Hampshire primary are as follows:
    Romney 40%
    Cain 18%
    Paul 13%
    Gingrich 6%
    Huntsman 6%
    Perry 3%
    Bauchman 3%

So Huntsman is only 34 points down from Romney. And this is after going all in on New Hampshire. Seriously, it is time for anyone in single digits to jump out and throw their support behind who they like. Also, stop calling your probably nominee a 'well lubricated weather vain.' It is telling that Huntsman calls Romney names while calling Obama a 'Remarkable leader.' Clearly Huntsman is lacking in judgement and these poll numbers show it.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:29 a.m.

If this is a "must win" for Jr, then it appears it's over for the most arrogant of all candidates--and the one candidate who said he was going to run a civil campaign (until it became necessary to attack his opponents). Romney will soundly win NH. Ol' Silver Spoon might come in third at best.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:29 a.m.

If Romney tabs Jr for VP, could it be the 'end times'?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 9:59 a.m.

"A well-lubricated weather vane." Gotta love that. A perfect description not only of Romney, but Hatch, too.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Actually, you have to go back to the Washington Post story in the late winter when Huntsman was still in China. The Post basically accused Huntsman of wanting to run now rather than later simply because he couldn't stand seeing Romney be the front runner instead of him. It detailed the way he wanted to be in charge of the Olympics but wanted to be drafted for the job rather than going all out to apply for it as did Romney.
    His goal seems to be to stop Romney from succeeding. There is no other legitimate conclusion to draw from his continued candidacy at this point.....unless of course what he rally wants is be Obama's running mate.
    His chances of playing that role in 2012 are far greater than his chances of finishing New Hampshire... in even third place.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Huntsman is a very bright, capable person who has been the victim of an absolutely abysmal campaign. All decisions are ultimately his, of course, but he apparently has surrounded himself with advisors who have no idea how to run a campaign. From his announcement on it has been one misstep after another. It is doubtful at best that he could ever have won the nomination but he should have shown much better in the polls than he has. IMO, his poor performance puts him in very real danger of being irrelevant in 2016 and beyond.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Seriously wondering if Huntsman may change parties in the future. This may all have been planned to see how he was received. Stranger things have happened..........

• midcl REXBURG, ID
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:16 a.m.

When Huntsman entered the race I didn't know much about him, however, his call for civility in politics and statements on foreign affairs made me decide to follow him a little more and see how far up my personal list he would move. I will admit that he was at the bottom of list at the time. After moving up the list initially, in the past few weeks he has moved back down and this last maneuver of his makes me want to see him pack it in altogether. His pandering to the CNN types to try to salvage a failing campaign has violated one of the fundamental rules of do no harm to your own party. As far as I can see the Ohio ballot measure controversy is something that one of the anti-Romneys at CNN fabricated (Peter Hamby has been following Romney around muck raking at every stop) and for Huntsman to decide to pile on with some of the most vicious attacks shows Huntsman to be a much smaller man than I had him pegged for.

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I have had a hard time with Huntsman on a few things. The most important one is that he was a kiss up to Obama. His ideas are more like a Democrat than a Republican. I did not like that way that he came off on how he felt about being a Mormon. Many things really bother me about him. I especially do not like any kind of negative remarks that those who are running for office about the others who are trying to get elected. I was all for Perry when he first went in but because I saw really what he was all about I have totally changed my mine. I still think that Romney is the only one who can beat Obama and so for this reason this is who I am leaning towards. I do like Cain but I wonder if he can go up against Obama. Time will tell. As for Huntsman he is also very arrogant and to me we already have that in the White House.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Oct. 29, 2011 11:43 a.m.

violated one of the fundamental rules of do no harm to your own party.

Yes, that has been the Republican strategy for some time. How about just telling the truth? Serving and protecting the party was the communist motto. How many people in the former USSR love the old politburo?

• Kiyo Washougal, Washington
    Oct. 29, 2011 12:17 p.m.

It makes no sense politically to comment on state ballot measures when you're in someone else's state(Kasich). To leave the state and then comment gives people the breathing room that they need. This is not "weather vane" it's being smart. Romney is smart politically, and will never fall into the trap of being honest, yet stupid politically. Sounds like jon has fallen into the trap set by the kingmakers for Mitt. Get ready now for the powerhouse that is Michelle Bachman.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2011 1:01 p.m.

@TRUTH
    "And if no success, Huntsman can then EXIT the race and run for Congress against Matheson! "

As a liberal... I trust Huntsman more than I do Matheson. Go right ahead.

@MEB
    "If I make $100K per year, and the flat tax rate is 9%, I pay $9000.00 in Federal Income Tax. If you make $10K per year, you pay $900. Doesn't that mean that I am paying 10x what you are paying for exactly the same services? Exactly how is that regressive? Sounds pretty progressive to me."

To the first question... yes, for the most part. To the second question... it's not regressive, or progressive. The definition of a (progressive/regressive) tax is one where the (top/bottom) pay a higher percentage in taxes than the (bottom/top). Since it's the same percentage in your example, it's a flat tax.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    Oct. 29, 2011 1:48 p.m.

I can't help thinking that there's more than a little of "What does today's crowd want to hear from its leader today?" to Mitt. Does he STILL want to double the size of GITNO?