Utah

Jon Huntsman Sr. says voters just need to get to know his son

Comments

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Oct. 27, 2011 11:23 p.m.

I'm sure Jon Huntsman is a very capable individual and I like him personally but here are his problems:
    1) He's running in an election year with perhaps the strongest Republican field in decades
    2) He's running as a moderate against a President that is very polarizing and becoming increasingly unpopular for his liberal policies. Wrong year to run as a moderate.
    3) He's a mormon but he's not even the most popular mormon in the race
    4) If had an election was held in Utah today, he wouldn't be the State's Republican nominee. He can't even win his own State

His best hope politically is for Obama to win re-election, further drive the country into a ditch, and the run again in 2016 against Obama.

• liberate Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:11 a.m.

I love Huntsman. He's fiscally conservative, a little more socially understanding, and a great diplomat. He's the type we need in this country to bring people together and set the country on course for a strong century. The problem we have now is we are spending ourselves to oblivion. And on the social issues side we are dividing ourselves rather than trying to see where we are common. People don't realize that Americans are far more united on the issues than we are divided. But the politicians focus on the differences.

Here's to Jon Huntsman, Jr for the future.

• LBU FORT CAMPBELL, KY
    Oct. 28, 2011 4:53 a.m.

In most cases I would follow Jon Sr.'s advice, but in this one I think he is a little biased. If Jon Jr. weren't his son, I doubt Jon Sr. would vote for him. I'm sure Jon Jr. would make an excellent president of China, like his father suggested, but we need to elect the President of the United States of America.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 5:46 a.m.

I just think it's too late to really get to know him. No one's seen him for the last few years, because he's been stored away in a Chinese freezer. I just like Romney's chances better.

• Texas_Reader College Station, TX
    Oct. 28, 2011 6:05 a.m.

Sorry Jon Sr. With all due respect, the problem is not how well voters know your son. In fact, the more voters have gotten to know your son, the less enthusiastic they've become. I'm not sure any Republican candidate has done more interviews or spent more time in the media than your son. The result? He has gone DOWN in the polls and now sits at 1 percent in the national polls and has cratered even in New Hampshire where he has focused all his efforts. Your son can't decide which political party he really wants to represent. Frankly, he would probably do better as a Deomcrat in 2016 than he will ever do as a Republican because at his core he is more of a liberal than anything else. No amount of spending from his own or the family fortune will help him get anywhere. He is simply not what voters want or what the country needs. It's also embarrassing how much he equivocates on his personal religious beliefs. There is no religious test and that's the way it should be, but when a candidate can't even decide on his own religious beliefs, that's a very bad sign.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 6:08 a.m.

A comment to Jon Huntsman Sr., we already know your son. Like Father, not like son. He won't even win his own state, let alone the nomination.

• C. Darwin Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 6:20 a.m.

I think Jon jr. Will get at least one vote.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Oct. 28, 2011 6:31 a.m.

You republicans are crazy! Huntsman is heads and shoulders above the candidates you people have out there now. Yes he is moderate, and every single president from either party that has been a "great" president was the same. Whats the reason to be radical, racist, and greedy? Mommy and daddys spoiled brats. They want everything NOW, don't want to sacrifice to attain anything, have NO respect for anything or anybody ect, ect! Thats what I call the "instant gratification" generation (15-50 year olds). Get some old history films & books out spoiled ones and see how this country was built to be the best and it certainly wasn't through greed and didn't happen overnight! I'm an independent, native Utahn (72 yrs) and Huntsman would certainly get my vote!

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:10 a.m.

Bifftacular | 11:23 p.m. Oct. 27, 2011
    Spanish Fork, Ut

Wrong year to run as a moderate? And then you concede that Obama will probably win a second term? Its the right wing obstructionists that is running the wrong race. Only a moderate has any chance at all. The Republican party is forcing their candidate to go as far right, or even further, than Obama is on the left. It is the wrong time to run as an obstructionist Republican but the time may never be so right to run as a sensible moderate. The Republican budgets will not fly because of their insistence on not raising taxes on the wealthy. The Occupy movement should be more focused on the problem - the obstructionist Congressmen.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:23 a.m.

When he spoke about his faith, or the lack thereof, I learned all I needed to about Jon Huntsman Jr.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:27 a.m.

Jon Huntsman Jr would have much better success if he ran as a Democrat. I'm sure his father thinks the world of him, but hardly a non-biased opinion.

• standfortruth MARAMEC, OK
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Certainly one can understand a father's "pride" in an offspring. However, Sr's. snide comments (in this article and previous one) toward Romney are unfortunate. They reveal jealousy, envy and contempt. That is very unbecoming.

Jr. is not intellectually prepared to run for POTUS.....yet. That is not saying he won't be in the future. The snide remarks about Mitt running for 4+ years strengthen my support for Mitt as he IS intellectually prepared as well as organizationally. Let's be honest........Mitt QUIETLY help get MANY Republicans elected in 2010. It was about OUR country. He could've been in front of the camera and making headlines.......but he wasn't.

It is VERY telling that UT.....a state that knows Jr. the best.......will overwhelmingly support Mitt.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Jr. does not come across as able, presidential material. But then again, the one we have now proves he is not able and as far from presidential as a human could possibly get.

• sj Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 7:58 a.m.

The only candidate with a real plan is Ron Paul. This paper ignores everything about Paul. Making people in Utah think the only candidate is Romney. What a shame.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:26 a.m.

we know jr. and he is no senior. sr is a class act and great man. jr is hard to define.

• CentralUtah Alpine, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:33 a.m.

"Support is a very complex thing to define." I can tell you, when Jr. Huntsman had the chance to stand up for his heritage and religious roots and he showed NO character to being asked if he was a Mormon, he lost the vote and respect of everyone...on both sides of belief.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:50 a.m.

"if he were running for President in China, he'd have already won"????

Is that an endorsement?

• jrgl CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:56 a.m.

I'd really like to see Jon Huntsman, Jr. win the presidential election. His experience in China is just what we need here in the US. He sure managed the state of Utah well & we are still in good shape compared to other states. Jon would make a great President.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:05 a.m.

"His son, he said, never gets unraveled when the going gets tough. "I love that part about him. I've never seen him upset in his life. I've tried, as his father, to test him from time to time, but he's a very savvy man.""

Just wondering, Jon, why did you find it necessary as a father to test your son like that? Strange .......

• speed66 Heber City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Dad thinks son would be good president...stunning insight from the DN. I'm sure many readers were wondering what his daddy thought of him.

I like Jr. but getting into the field late is no one's fault but his own. Trying to run as a moderate in a party that has shut moderates out is equally problematic.

Jr's biggest problem is that he doesn't stand out. He hasn't highlighted the real differences between him and the others. He's gotten in a few good jokes but he was a complete no-show at the last debate. That was definitely a tactical mistake.

I'd like to see him run again. I'm not sure I'd vote for him but he would certainly be worthy of serious consideration.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:29 a.m.

I already know his son, which is why I won't vote for him.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:31 a.m.

With respect to Jon Sr. I have to remind all that Jon Jr. is the governor who bailed out and left us with Governor Herbert. I can't support a man who would do a thing like that. We really cannot risk having a president going AWOL.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Jon Huntsman, Jr., is the ONLY decent candidates the Republicans have. Of course he won't get their support, since he's not a far right wing fringe nut. Sad.

• Jazz Bass Man Wellsville, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:40 a.m.

So Huntsman, if running for president of China "would already have won the presidency". Is that because he really is a flaming leftist, and fit right in because the Chinese have embraced communism?

I think we in Utah already know Huntsman. No thanks.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Know him...still don't like him, still won't vote for him. The denouncing of his religeon was enough for me.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Huntsman for Secretary of State

• baggs RIGBY, ID
    Oct. 28, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Jon Huntsmans Jrs explanation on his faith was so wishy-washy, I immediately lost interest in him. He sounds like a fence sitter wanting it both ways. When he can tell us what his core values are then I will be interested in looking at him again. Some people attack Romney for his core values. I can see Romney's core values. I have no idea what Huntsman's core values are.

Like it was said above, I like father but so far I don't like son.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Interesting, if not bizarre comments from the head of Utah's royal family.

The fact is Republicans have gotten to know Huntsman. That's why he's getting about 1% of their support. There's no kinship with his political views. It would be wiser for him to run next time as a Democrat. His funny religious views aren't too far off the family's uncommitted political views. They fund both parties each election. (I think it's called influence.)

• 10-34, 14-35, 14-31, 14-23 0-4 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:01 a.m.

With due respect Sr. Hunstman Pipes said it best.... It is that fact alone that soiled his integrity and integrity is everything!

• dmb Lehi, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Like father, not like son...is right. Jon Huntsman Jr. may be polished, even-tempered and articulate. But he is not Ronald Reagan, conservative or perhaps even Republican. When you court the Gay rights money but shun Conservative groups, that says a lot. Sorry, Huntsman Sr., even though I respect you and your humble roots, your son doesn't understand middle income struggles, as Governor ridiculed concervative groups by complaining about so-called "message bills". Really? People of faith can't sponsor legislation in line with their values and beliefs? What are your values and beliefs? You seemed to have a tough time with conservatives promoting family friendly legislation when you were here.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:13 a.m.

I really admire Jon Huntsman Sr. But, if Jr. weren't his son, he's be on Mitt Romney's team just as he has been in the past. I don't think Jr. is probably electable this year or any other year.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:45 a.m.

Remember the fable of the frog and scorpion? We don't need someone who will compromise with the future of the Country. We don't need any more Presidents who ignore the Constitution and the heritage of the United States. We need men of courage who will stand up to the progressives, the Courts, and those who are leeches on society. The problem is we know Jon, Jr--and we don't need another frog who will succumb to the scorpions of the left.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Its interesting that on other posts there seems to be a theme that religion shouldn't matter, yet some of the posters on this thread claim they wouldn't vote for Huntsman because he wouldn't take a stand about his religion? So apparently religion does matter?

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Stick to your ideals & principles Jon Jr. don't ever change to radicalism, greed, cheating, lying, stealing or being a flip flooper like others in this campaign in your party. I would absolutely love it if you would become an independent and run as such. Your intellect and character would then get the respect you deserve from people that love this country, instead of those others that love themselves. Do it Jon, your the man for me.

• tom_e Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Huntsmans biggest problem here in Utah is that people do know him.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Ms Molli: The point is NOT what his religion is. The point is that when asked to take a stand, he went squishy. He didn't have the courage to stand up for his faith. He gave a non-committal, political, wobbly answer. That doesn't make people think that he is a man of character or principle. That's what people objected to. When he was governor he spent more time worrying about photo ops than anything else. It got pretty hard to take.

His father is a great man who loves his son. But, he'd be on Mitt's team if his son wasn't running--just as he has in the past.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Ms Molli: What a person's religion is shouldn't matter for the the office of president of the US, but not living your professed religion or being wishy washy about it says something about the person. When Huntsman said his beliefs were "hard to define" it appeared that he either doesn't know what he believes or he was willing to distance himself from his faith for political expediency. I respect someone who stands up for their faith even when it isn't popular to do so.

Given candidates of equal experience and conservative principles I would choose the one who lives his faith without embarrassment over a lukewarm member of my own faith.

Huntsman has experience but lacks some of the conservative principles I want. Romney may have been less conservative in the past, but show me someone who never changes their opinion based on information and experience and I'll show you someone who is dogmatic and unwilling to learn. I have read Romney's book, "No Apology," and I believe his conservative ideals are genuine.

Standing by his faith gives me greater confidence that he has integrity and will do his best to accomplish conservative goals in the White House.

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    Oct. 28, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Every goose thinks their own gosling a swan.

• Denys Picard near montreal, QC
    Oct. 28, 2011 3:44 p.m.

I guess it's great for Junior to have Senior as his biggest fan and who may turn out to be his bedtime adviser to the White House also. And I do believe Huntsman Jr. is the sleeper candidate here. Yet he is at the same time to much of a technocrat replica of Obama with the same weaknesses of being great at doing deals, wonderful at being a diplomat; but follows in the corporate authoritarian foot steps, understands business but not the economy, loves trade but does not understand what america needs, believes in zero tax on capital gains, and therefore will kill the middle class like the remainder of the candidates. And it is kind of a lost opportunity because he looks bright, intelligent, quick, young, very appealing, a great white hope...But I believe I will have to say no; but he might be the best bet for the Republicans because he is in many ways a white barack...like Elvis was the white gospel singer...One thing is for sure: I ain't going to vote DEM! That is a certainty! Naybe, Maybe if Junior suppported Glass-Steagall HR 1489, then maybe...who knows?..

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Jon says Mitt has a head start, but everything a candidate does prior to running is part of his election strategy...

lets look at Jon's leaving the Gov. job at mid-term for China, for example, he said he had no choice but to do as the Pres. desired, then after 1 1/2 yrs. he resigns and jumps into Pres. race...was that according to the Pres. Obama's wishes too?? I don't think so, I think the whole China thing was to get national exposure for the Presidential run..

now, say again, how long has Jon been running? more than he admits, I believe.