Red roundup: CBSSports.com picks Runnin' Utes to finish last in Pac-12

Comments

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 27, 2011 10:30 a.m.

With 10 news players, a brand new coaching staff, and very little to build on from last season, the Utes will be doing well to get to double-digit wins this season.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 27, 2011 11:54 a.m.

I'm expecting the Cougs to beat the Utes by 44 points.

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 1:18 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

No Jimmer = BYU = .500.

Oh wait, you play in the WCC...definitely above .500, but no NCAA tourney this year.

• Utesby3 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 1:21 p.m.

This is no surprise. Anyone who expected Utah be top of the PAC 12 in B-ball this year is dreaming. They may surprise us, but I'm not expecting too much.

CougFaninTX - I highly doubt your cougs will beat anyone by 44 points this year. Without Fredette, maybe they should focus on putting 44 points on the board before they worry about beating anyone by 44.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Who needs Duckhunter? Count on the Deseret News to fish the internet for anything negative they can find about the U.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 1:54 p.m.

I will concede this year is going to be a struggle for the Ute basketball team, but the future looks bright. The Ute's 2012 recruiting class is far and away the best in the State of Utah. Jordan Loveridge is at the top of the list as a 4 star recruit and the only recruit in the ESPNU 100 committed to any school in Utah. Coach K is doing a great job recuiting and building his team for the future.

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    Oct. 27, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Dear Dutchman,
    Running an article on a national sports' organization's predictions for the upcoming basketball season is hardly an example of searching the internet for unfavorable news on the Utes. The Utes have a lot to prove on the basketball court. I wish them well except when they play BYU.
    --Cougar Fan

• Glenn A. Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Yes, a last-place-finish vote was expected. I don't know how voters could have justified putting them anywhere else. Too much turnover, too many new faces, an unproven coach, etc. Having said all that, it will make it all that much more fun if the Utes end up surprising people this year. Looking forward to seeing the youngbucks Odunsi and Matthews.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 2:17 p.m.

SoCalTrueBlue2,

You missed the point. Of course there are web articles out there both negative and positive. The point is, the Deseret News makes a point of finding anything negative about the U and putting a link to it on their web page. We all know and understand the situation of the current b-ball program at the U. We don't need a link to a negative article telling us what we already know. Those who want to have the internet savvy to find this stuff on their own.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 2:17 p.m.

stop calling him coach k. We all know the real Coah K is at Duke.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Portland Trail Blazers,

Last time I checked Coach K wasn't a registered trademark by anyone.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 2:46 p.m.

yea but at least they are in the pac 10 plus 2. big deal!

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 3:04 p.m.

I am excited to watch Coach K and the boys this year. I think they will improve as the season goes along. GO UTES!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 3:35 p.m.

Oh, this is really laughable. They really should be picked about 15th but that isn't possible since there are only 12 teams in the conference.

This reminds me years ago when Utah defeated BYU in Provo in football (rather rare back then) and the U had a better BBall program and an older U fan stood up and said to the Y fans around him "Don't worry; there's always basketball." Then he laughed heartily. I'd remind him about current U BBall and U PAC 12 football, except by now I'm sure he's pushing up daiseys.

So yes, U might get a program together again, but it will take years. You're not immune to the ups and downs of college athletics just because you view the world through crimson-colored glasses. Enjoy a losing season in BBall--again!

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 3:36 p.m.

0-4 for Utes in the pac 10.2

basketball picked to finish last in the pac 10.2

how are things working out for the utes in the pac 10.2?

How 'bout them mighty Utes!

Talk about an athletic program on the rise.........crickets........

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 3:45 p.m.

@Dutchman

I suppose it would be your preference if the news didn't report anything at all about utah basketball until such a time as it would be positive news? Saving your tender feelings aside it would be a very looooooooong time until you got some ute basketball news.

LOL!

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 3:54 p.m.

The utes will improve this year if they can keep their players at from Run'n to other schools. A last place finish and they will lose any good players that was considering going there. Who wants to play B-ball in a sub-par conference and then top it off with a last place team.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 4:09 p.m.

First to Portland: 54-10
    2nd to Fisco, TX: Utah won't lose by 44 to anyone including Arizona and UCLA combined.

Utah will take their lumps the first two years. It is a proven fact that one or two good players can change around a lot of things. Majerus had good players, tough guys and one or two excellent players. He preached, tough defense, rebounding, great picks, free throw shooting and not turning the ball over. A bunch of decent athletes can learn those skills. The offense will eventually come around. I believe Coach K has many of the same philosophies.

Utes will make strides this year and it appears with the pickup of two very good players and the possibility of a few more, the future will improve. I am not looking for a miracle but will look for improvement and a solid foundation.

• Juggernaut Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 4:21 p.m.

@portlandtrailblazers

Nobody saw this coming with football, but b-ball yes. Right now i wish utah had byu's schedule at the moment for football. they would easily be bowl eligible.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Utah fans bid farewell to a once mighty basketball team. Or was that football team? Whatever.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 4:48 p.m.

For all the Coug fans out in full force...

...enjoy it while it lasts. I predict it won't last long, beginning with game one in Logan. Your one good year out of 40 just happened.
    And for all those who throw football into this conversation...if we Ute fans cared as much about glamorous records as you all do, we'd simply become Independent or join the West Coast Conference.
    In fact I'm pretty sure even our struggling Ute basketball team would have a decent shot at beating Idaho State on the gridiron this year.
    Looking forward to QCW (quiet Cougar week) next Sept. Such a peaceful time of year.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 5:48 p.m.

BYU 6-2 going bowling
    Utah 3-4, probably not going bowling

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 27, 2011 5:49 p.m.

yep, Utah hoops is down so go ahead and pile on Y fans. There will be a big talent drop-off in happy valley this year that many Y fans don't see coming. BYUs win/loss record may be decent this yeat but that's only because of the incredibly weak schedule.

Last year was the pinnacle of the Y program by getting to the sweet 16, something the Utes have done 9 times.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Oct. 27, 2011 5:54 p.m.

motorbike

"if we Ute fans cared as much about glamorous records as you all do, we'd simply become Independent..."

Possibly a little sooner than most of us expected, but it's nice to see that Utah has already accepted their role as whipping boy for the PAC 12. Trading wins for paychecks is a rite of passage for big boy conference cellar dwellers.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 6:00 p.m.

I certainly hope Utah will do better. The young players look promising. This could be a great table setter year for Coach K and his basically new team. It would be nice to see the Huntsman packed.

Final question, why all the comments about other schools in a Utah basketball story. Seems inappropriate and in some cases childish.

• che loco Springville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 6:16 p.m.

Grab the tissue, Cougar fans... Ute fans are getting way too sensitive here... they certainly love to dish it out, but when anything negative is said about their (horrible) basketball program their feelings are just too sensitive & the whining ensues...

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 8:10 p.m.

Oh the value of low expectations.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 8:11 p.m.

Hey Utes, aren't you glad you are in the PAC-12 now?

• jazzer St. George, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 10:07 p.m.

Im tired of Portland Trailblazer coming on utah sites and bad mouthing UTAH TEAMS... The utes have a lot of work to do yes, and byu will be decent this year with the loss of jimmer everyone knows this....

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2011 10:48 p.m.

It's great to be a UTE!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:00 a.m.

If Utes were still in MWC, they might be picked to finish last in the conference. Too bad you let Sharp get away. He looked "Sharp" in the scrimmage last night.

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:09 a.m.

re: USAlover

"It's great to be a UTE!"

From the sea of empty red chairs filling the Huntsman Center lately, it's obvious that number of Utah fans who share your enthusiasm is dwindling fast.

On the bright side, Utah is giving away free b-ball tickets at the Gateway.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:39 a.m.

hahaha...runaway utes picked to finish last...seriously? some things, especially when it's this obvious...just don't have to be mentioned. wow...SHOCKER!

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:53 a.m.

Good thing the Utes arent in the WCC, they cant even beat the worst team in that conference, San Diego!

But will all seriousness, look for Utah to win no more than 8 games this season

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 8:29 a.m.

Duckhunter,

Actually, I agree with you. Yes, Deseret News stop finding and posting all the negative web articles you can find about the U b-ball program until coach K has a chance to get things turned around. We all know what the situation is and we don't need to have it repeatedly thrown in our faces. I personally don't care for the Red and Blue Roundup sections of the Deseret News. It is lazy journalism to just go out and find links to other journalist's work products and create a link to it in the online Deseret News. Most of us know how to find that stuff on our own. If the Deseret News wants to do some old fashioned journalism and write an article on their own and be critical of the Utes then have at it. Just don't leave it to others. My tender feelings are feeling better already.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:03 a.m.

@Dutchman

You realize there isn't any way for the Dnews to post a link to a positive article about utah basketball don't you? Nothing anyone is going to write is going to be positive because the program is pretty terrible right now.

I see this same complaint from a lot of utah fans on here, they don't want to read anything negative they just want the sorry state of their teams to be ignored until they turn it around. I guess I understand why that is but it just doesn't work that way. When you are good you will be praised and when you are bad you will be correctly criticized.

I personally enjoy the red and blue roundup sections because I don't search the web looking for stuff like that. It is easy for me to just see it here and I don't have to go out of my way. What I find interesting is that for some reason you don't want to see the things being written by the media that covers the conference you guys are so pridefull about being in. I know the basketball team sucks but you still ought to find it interesting and informative.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Oct. 28, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Well that will match perfectly with how they finish in Football.

I know it is better to be a little fish in a big pond than a big fish in a little pond. Except in this case U are more like fish food in a big pond.

I will always admit my jealousy for U being in the Pac - but seriously if U are going to play there at least show up. U are making the whole state look bad.

It just makes me feel sad for U. OKay maybe I laugh a little - okay a lot - but secretly (not when my BYU friends are looking) and when I talk to my friends here in the Pac I tell them how much I want you to do well. And then U let me down there too - It's as if U can do nothing right.

It's just sad.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Woodyff,

Yes, I am glad we are in the Pac 12. I didn't expect a cake walk. As a fan I welcome stiffer competition. I believe what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I see all our athletic teams taking the opportunity to recruit better talent, improve our facilities and make overall improvements in their programs. They've been able to accomplish a lot with a little. Now they will have the resources to step it up. We can't expect instant success, because of where we are coming from. But the future looks awefully bright.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:24 a.m.

CougFaninTX,

I don't think anybody let Sharp get away. The Utes fought to keep him, but that darn thing called integrity meant the athletic department had to admit a mistake was made and let him go. Otherwise, I think Coach K would have had a good chance in a face to face meeting of convincing him to stay.

What I think happened to Sharp happens to a lot of LDS missionaries. You get out there on your mission with other missionaries who have been or are planning to go to BYU. Your mission president loves BYU. You want to keep serving the Lord for the rest of you life and some how going to BYU seems to be the way to go. It happened to me many years ago on my mission and to my son when he was on his mission. Fortunately both me and my son came to our senses once we were home and stayed with the U. If Sharp had waited to make his decision until he got home, I think he may have stayed at the U.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 11:30 a.m.

BYU Joe,

Will you have that same bravado tonight?

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Oct. 28, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Exactly my point. If there is nothing positive to post why post it unless it is your own work product. It is laziness to take it off other sites. I am well informed and I read counter points of view all the time. I can find these things on my own. I don't need the Deseret News constantly finding this stuff. You like it because that is your nature. Corrective criticism can be good. Too much and it defeats its purpose. The b-ball program at the U has been criticized enough. It is time for a break.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2011 7:05 a.m.

@che loco
    "they certainly love to dish it out, but when anything negative is said about their (horrible) basketball program their feelings are just too sensitive "

I thought we were too apathetic about basketball to care? Which is it? Besides... *sniff* you know our team is horrible... like really, really bad. Like Geneva Convention against torture bad. Like so terrible that we should be beyond the mocking range and straight into the pitying range... you know, like the Pittsburgh Pirates or Minnesota Timberwolves.