Utah

Fitness trainer gains 70 pounds to inspire, empathize

Comments

• Adam Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Great Story! Now if we could only get the politicians to walk in the footsteps of the average citizens of Utah for a while. What a concept. Best of luck to this trainer and his clients.

• Swartzy Arlington, TX
    Oct. 22, 2011 9:52 p.m.

A Stupid act. Why would anyone want to harm their body in this manner, on purpose. He might think he will regain his old body back, but it will never quite be the same. As a former FAT person, I have lost about 60 lbs and kept it off for 2 yrs now, I can tell you that no message about being fat will effect a person until they are ready to lose the weight. All fat people know they are fat, it isn't something they have just over looked. It is also something you don't just change on the spot. For me it took a long time for all the factors to come together so I could lose the weight. WHen it happened, I took the weight off rather quickly. But I had tried many many times before and it just didn't happen. I don't think this act will change many people, but it will change him. Sadly it is a stupid mistake to do this.

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:30 a.m.

True, Swartzy

Although in the second picture the cheezy smile is gone, we have to wonder if he really can lose all of that weight again. He's retrained his brain to take pleasure in the things that he ate to get fat, and there's more to losing weight than "just say no".

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Good grief Swartzy, the guy is trying to do something positive, and all you can do is criticize?
    I think what he is doing takes courage and shows complete dedication. To feed your body unhealthy food
    knowingly take guts. He's trying to experience both sides so he can help people lose weight by understanding
    how the FEEL. Good Grief Mr. Negative.

• Boo Ya!!! SLC, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 10:00 a.m.

I TOTALLY disagree with "swartzy"!!! I wish this guy the best of luck. He WILL be a better trainer as he will NEVER sympathize again...just empathy. He will be able to touch people in a way others cannot.

Best of luck!!!

• histrung2 Orem, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Swartz,

Many people are in his shoes. I was never a fat person until i reached my 34th birthday, I stopped exercising and just decided food was the best medicine. Now, that I see that he went from a size 32 waist to a size 48 waist just opened my eyes to how far I have come from the fit football, wrestler and track person I used to be. Unless some else shows you how far you've gone, somethimes people like me will never see it. Be greatful you lost your weight, don'tknock others who are trying to help others.

• Go 4 the gold Utah, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 4:06 p.m.

This is nothing new.

Oprah has done this 15 times.

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    Oct. 23, 2011 5:51 p.m.

I think in hind sight he will regret doing this to his body. It will never be the same. I think you can learn compassion, understanding, and such without having to actually walk exactly in someone else's shoes. Should you become a drug addict to be a better addiction therapist? I hope he can ultimately get his health back but it will take twice as long or more then it took to gain the weight!

• amst plano, tx
    Oct. 23, 2011 5:58 p.m.

Thats just not a good idea at all.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2011 9:18 a.m.

I don't think it is ever a good idea to abuse your body. There are many things he could have learned about being obese by wearing a weighted vest.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:52 p.m.

I look forward to hearing how this goes. Amazing how fast his body fell apart by just not excercising and eating a "normal" diet.

• SP Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 3:05 p.m.

This is a silly PR stunt and the media is jumping all over it. He will try to write a book and guest star in reality TV shows, etc.

Other trainers will be kicking themselves for not trying it first.