BYU basketball: Damarcus Harrison fitting in and finding his role at BYU

Comments

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 6:35 p.m.

Wait, but I thought Ute "fans" said that African-Americans, athletic guys, would never come to BYU.....?

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Oct. 19, 2011 7:29 p.m.

I had dinner last weekend with Demarcus's brother. He is serving a mission in Chicago and I am in his ward for a few months. Great young man. He says he is going to try to walk on the BYU team when he gets back off his mission. It's great to have Demarcus here. I watched a few games that were streaming on the internet when they were in Greece. He can be really good when he learns the system. It will be nice to have a tall, athletic guard at BYU!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Portland, the big 12 still doesn't want you. Nor does anyone else. Congrats on your one athlete. Too bad you need a team full of them to go anywhere(see best season in 30 years ending in sweet 16)

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 7:49 p.m.

Great article. It will be fun to watch how BYU responds to the inroads that they made last year. If Coach Rose is this pumped about Harrison, it will be fun to watch him perform.

BTW...REALLY tired of trolls like those who have already posted.
    They toss around the word "irrelevant" quite a bit. I think it applies to the image in their mirrors.

As always, best of luck to both the gridders and hoopsters...and Go Cougars!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 7:56 p.m.

@ Chris B

Didn't you read the Crimson talking points memo released after 9/17/11?

I quote: "It is poor form to go on your rivals article and even hint at anything close to smack talk if you were beaten down in your last game. You must wait the mandatory one year and allow the victor the spoils of scoreboard."

I thought you'd like the reminder.

Best wishes...and GO COUGARS!

• yourstruly PAUL, ID
    Oct. 19, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Sad commentary on many people when normal doesn't include basic spiritual beliefs. There are many people who would love to be in an environment where normal includes morality despite ones religion.
    Great to have Demarcus at BYU where he can showcase his talent. A little disappointed that so many articles fail to recognize that a great young ballplayer who had a huge impact at BYU last year young Colinsworth will also be missed while on his mission. Good times when he and Haws are back on the court.

• vesparider Pocatello, ID
    Oct. 19, 2011 8:21 p.m.

"I'll play anywhere as long as it has BYU on my jersey." I love it! Anybody know if Demarcus has mission plans or whether he'll stay 4 straight years? Hope his older brother gets a shot as a walk on post mission. Iirc his brother was a short pg that didn't get a lot of recruiting attention. It would be cool to play with your brother.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Chris B. Go troll on a utah blog. Oh I forgot, there are none, nobody cares.

• CaptainL PROVO, UT
    Oct. 19, 2011 10:03 p.m.

I hope Demarcus can prove to be a consistant outside shooter, we will need it. With Davies, Hartsock, and Collinsworth in the front court good outside shoting will be necessary and Demarcus could be key to our success.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 19, 2011 10:31 p.m.

@Chris B
    "Congrats on your one athlete."

Which one athlete were you talking about? Harrison? Davies? Carlino? Abouo? Missionaries - Haws? Collinsworth? Soon to be Cougars - TJ Haws? Nick Emery? Chatman? There's a few more athletes that I could list also but I'm running out of space. You may want to congratulate all of them. They are anxious to play U. I'm predicting a 44 point win this year.

Congrats on your one athlete - Loveridge. I wish we would have got him. I hope he's not lonely as a one man show. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves U like most of the players do.

The Cougs will be led by the front court early in the season, but look for Harrison, Carlino and Winder to get better with each game. The back court will make some noise come March.

Zylstra is the big unknown. I thought he'd always be a mop up player, averaging 2 - 3 points a game. But after what he did overseas, I'm anxious to see if someone different emerges this season.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 19, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Hmmm?

BYU 5 & 2
    Utah 3 & 3

BYU basketbal-top 16
    Utah basketball-bottom 16

Chris B! Are you paying your fair share of taxes?

• troutman Washington, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 2:20 a.m.

Damarcus if you thinke BYU Marriott Center is a good atmosphere for Basketball, they your in for an even better treat when you play the Utah State Aggies in Logan.....Get ready to feel the whole arena shaking and it will make yous dizzy, (as has been reported by opposing players) The Utah State Spectrum last year was voted as 1 of the top ten place to play a basketball game at. Incidently, The Spectrum was also voted as one of the top ten hardest places to win a ballgame. Seriously, Damarcus, you have no idea what your about to experience. And thanks to the Aggies and their creativity, BYU students are and have copied USU students by incorporating same of the same creativity that USU students have been using for 20 years! BYU copied USU's colors, I guess they might as well copy USU's cheers!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 6:52 a.m.

Chris B

4 losing seasons in 6 years.

8 transfers last year.

No athletes.

What a team.

What a program.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:05 a.m.

Coach Rose has done an amazing job with this team. He has made it a consistent winner, and filled the arena again with fans. Hope Mr. Harrison and the program continued success.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:13 a.m.

Good luck to you, Damarcus, I hope your career goes well and is healthy! I do hope the Utes can steal one from you guys, but either way, there's no reason to spit hate.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Great to have him on board.

Davies, Hartsock, Collinsworth, Abuo. That is all BYU needs to have a very good season. All the rest is frosting on top. If Zylstra can play like he did in Europe and one or two other guys step up, should be another great season.

Don't forget how Hartsock was shooting at the end of last year.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:30 a.m.

There is so much pressure on the athletes to be great...I wonder if that delays or enhances their progress?

With so much parity in college sports, so many good athletes and coaches, it takes something special to set a team apart...determination, will to win, the intangibles...be fun to see how the many Utah college teams do this year.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Cougars play this year. It iwll be great to have Davies, big Collinsworth and some other tall timber banging the boards. They should be very tough underneath. They have several solid swingmen as well. If the guards play well they should be able to win a lot of games.

• Festus riverton, utah
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Hey! Troutman how has it been to go back to the Spectrum after your first NCAA tournament game the last I can't how many years?

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Chris B.

With all the raspberries youre getting, I don't think I would comment on a BYU story carrying an empty gun...ouch, it must really hurt sitting in the entire E section of the Huntsman Center alone watching your one ballplayerand the PAC 10 wants you???

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Please don't think most of the Ute fans are like Chris B.

Harrison sounds like a great kid, and I'm liking the athleticism the Y is lining up. If some of the big guys can step it up a notch this season, the Y could become very competitive for the WCC title!

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:04 a.m.

troutman

thinke, they your in for an even better, yous dizzy, same of the same.

What are you talking about? Is this the same place that holds about 10,000 fans? When the MC holds close to 23,000.

ChrisB your team this year will lose most all of its games except maybe for the D2 games they play this year, oh ya they have lost those games the past few years as well.

• BP Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:07 a.m.

I remember the Utah actually had a better showing in the NCAA tournament the year after Van Horn (arguably the best Utah player of all time) left. Could BYU do the same thing?

BTW, I like the Crimson talking points (9/17/2011). I'd love to see BYU fans keep their mouths shut about Utah football until they beat BYU again, and Utah fans keep their mouths shut about BYU basketball until they beat BYU again.

But I'm not holding my breath...

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:34 a.m.

What if Cris B. was really a BYU fan just trying to have some fun. Think about it! I'll bet he is.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 20, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Sounds like a great recruit. Should help the Jimmerless and Emeryless Cougars make another bid for the NCAA tourney in the WCC.

Although, I'm a Ute fan, I don't often agree with Chris B. However, I enjoy having him around as I am sure most who respond to his posts are as well. What's more, for every one Chris B., there are at least two cougar "fans" on the DN ready to pour on the Utes....

• che loco Springville, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 11:07 a.m.

What a stud! Can't wait to watch his development over the years here!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 11:09 a.m.

MiP:

Speaking of fans commenting on their rivals articles, why don't you go worry about whether or not there are any recruits that will help the Clyburnless, Sharpless, O'Brienless, Brownless, Cyphersless, and Readless Utes instead of handing out backhanded compliments.

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Children, Children! We must, must, must learn to ignore "CB" and anyone suspected of trolling. Trolls love and live for nibbles and bites. The thing that drives them away is the lack thereof. Can you see CB filling revisiting these pages quarter hour by quarter hour, to giggle and smirk over the rants and raves he prompts? Do you understand how this feeds him, and gives his poor life meaning? But give it a rest, and these trolls shrivel and die from malnourishment.

Here is how we do that, Cougar fans: When you see the names of well known trolls at the top or in the body of a message, pass it right up. Tell yourself, "This comment will be irrelevant," because it's true. You and I do not need to waste our words there. If we don't read it, we won't be tempted to comment on it, nor be lured into meaningless arguments, defending obvious untruths, or contributing to the voices of ignorance.

It's that simple.

Coach Rose, you done good getting DeMarcus Harrison. We're excited to see him play.

GO COUGARS!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Excited to see Harrison play and hopefully contribute a lot.

Chris Collinsworth is the key to this team. If he is healthy and playing well the Cougars can go far. If they have to rely on just Davies and Hartsock as the only big men they Cougars might not get another tournament win.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Everyone needs to stop picking on Chris B. When someone is hurting, they strike at others. Maybe we could all take turns having him over for dinner and help him feel better. We would even be willing to use a red table cloth if that would help with one of those red "U are Special" dinner plates. Maybe cherry turnovers instead of blueberry for dessert. Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to mention turnovers. I meant pie.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 2:56 p.m.

Hey Chris B,
    In other news,Utah is predicted to finish last in the Pac 12 hoops this year

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 5:31 p.m.

It sure is nice following a basketball program that has the reach to get top level recruits from all over the country. Not just "recruits" either, TOP LEVEL recruits, like Harrison.

I'm much more of a football fan than basketball fan but watching BYU since Rose has taken over has been a ton of fun. Up tempo with athletic players, lots of scoring, NCAA appearances every year, national attention, best player in college basketball, really it has been great and this year will be another great one.

• sls Columbia, MO
    Oct. 20, 2011 6:32 p.m.

BYU will need him when they get moved to a league with Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, West Virginia and Iowa State, not to mention crossover games with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The game in Provo with Baylor this year could be a portent of things to come.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 6:33 p.m.

Dear Chris B, now where did Utah end up last year in BB. At or near the bottom. Where will they end up this year in the PAC12. At or near the bottom again.

You always give me a laugh because you are so wrong 90% of the time.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 8:02 p.m.

@sls, if BYU ends up in big 12 it would give them a big leg up on a commit from Parker and if he comes other 4 stars will follow. I loved watching his dad play when I lived in Bay Area.

@CaptainL, watch Carlino fill it up with 3's when he becomes eligible. With Zilstra, Rogers, Hartsock, Abuo, Carlino and Harrison there will be no shortage of players that can drop the 3.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Oct. 21, 2011 3:03 a.m.

Grateful for the article about BYU hoops.

Followed with interest Harrison's recruitment and his decision to come to BYU. Enjoyed reading about how well he played in Greece. Heard rumors about his skills in playing against his teammates this past couple of months!

Looking forward to another great hoops season. Wish I could be in the Marriott Center to enjoy seeing Harrison light it up!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Ducky,

You are the first to comment on every Utah basketball article. For someone who is such a byU football "fan" it sure is odd. hmmm

Like I said before, Ducky will be the first to be back on the Ute band wagon when they get back to the final four before byU ever does.

I would watch out for our rag tag group of kids this year too. I have a feeling that byU, without 48 points from jimmer, will be taking some smacks in the mouth. With the beatings the Uts have taken the last couple years, coach K will have their best. Will be fun to watch.

Good luck in the WCC high school gyms.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 10:48 p.m.

Shaybo: I hope your right and I have every reason to believe you are but consistency is what I hope to see from these guys. I hope Carlino turns out to be the real deal. I think Abuo will have a good yr but consistency is what he needs to show. Rogers should become a top 3 scorer for the cougs and Zylstra may be the surprise of the yr. I'm hoping Davies will be the leading scorer for this team.
    Without the Jazz this yr the cougs are going to have to be the #1 attraction. The sooner the games start the better.
    Go Cougs.