Utah

2nd person in West Jordan plane crash dies

Comments

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Lucky there weren't kids playing soccer.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Time for airspace restrictions for these kit plane flyers.
    Last month one crashed at an elementary school.

• murray19 Murray, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:30 p.m.

I have played at these fields many times and so have my kids, I've always wondered when this would happen. It was a good thing there wasn't a game let alone a tournament when the entire complex is packed.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:35 p.m.

No need for airspace restrictions. No need to close the airport either.

The airport was there before the houses, parks, and soccer fields.

I you don't want to be near the airport then don't move near it or build a house near it. Simple as that. The airport is home to some military ops anyways.

If they close the airport, people will complain of the increased time for takeoff and landings at the SLC Int'l airport. SLC airport will become more crowded with ground traffic.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:50 p.m.

@Portland Trail Blazers

Just because the airport was there before the soccer fields doesn't mean that it's OK for planes to nosedive into them. Kennecott was there before the airport but that doesn't mean they can shoot down planes.

I agree - no need to restrict airspace or close the airport. But maybe it's time to place tighter controls on the type of aircraft that can operate out of Airport 2. I don't see why aircraft that come in a box being piloted by amateur pilots is a good idea in populated areas.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:06 p.m.

Seems like a lot of planes crashing these last couple of years. I don't know about closing down airports, but someone needs to check on the flight schools in the area letting all these guys fly and crash.

• PAC Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Maybe that is a bad place for an airport?

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Take a deep breath, pilots. I wrote, "Time for airspace restrictions for these kit plane flyers." I am specifically concerned about those kit planes, those classified as experimental.
    They are unpredictable and not well-inspected. Owners may do as they please, but lets keep them out of populated areas.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Ok let me get this straight... When you moved near Airport #2 you didn't notice airplanes and helicopters taking off and landing??? So now that you have noticed it you want it moved???

The mayor says "it's a good thing it didn't happen on Saturday"? Well, I think it's a good thing I wasn't in the plane. I think it's a good thing it didn't get into the air and crash in my house in Davis County.

Conjecture and fear mongering won't accomplish anything. It happened and one probably really nice guy was killed and one probably really nice guy was seriously injured. No one else was hurt. Period. The end.

My condolences to the family of the pilot and my best regards and well wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured passenger.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin,

I doubt the pilot intentionally nose-dived into the soccer field... but Portland Trail Blazers still has a point- If you don't want to live near an airport (risk wise), don't move next to one that's already there.

I could see a 'airports closer to residential or populated areas require such and such level of pilot license, or hours of experience' (as often is required with aircraft laws). However, there are always more details to a crash than we generally know as the public. So I don't claim to have any real knowledge of what should happen.

I personally think airports should be farther from city's myself. Commute is luxury, not necessity. In my eyes, a little extra drive (what others who live farther do every day) won't kill anyone. Safety for the city is absolutely necessary. That's just my take anyway.

Is it odd to anyone else besides myself, that Salt Lake City owns an airport in West Jordan?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Actually, experimental aircraft (homebuilts) are inspected more thoroughly than factory built planes. And if drivers of automobiles had to meet the strict standards pilots must meet, and take biennial "driving reviews" every two years as we must for flying, our highways would be much much safer.

To say nothing of the strict aircraft maintenance regimen. An annual inspection that literally tears the aircraft apart, checks every piece of it and then reassembles it would eliminate about half of the cars on the road.

Before we close any airports or limit pilots even further than is already the case, let's clamp down on unsafe drivers and vehicles.

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:06 p.m.

I haven't heard yet about this pilot, but the one who crashed into the elementary school was very experienced. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case this time, as well. So please don't be judgmental or refer to them as "amateur pilots".

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Get serious people, no one who moves near an airport should have an expectation that little kit airplanes are buzzing around and crashing! Lets get real here!

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Strange priorities!

All the excitement at two separate and unrelated aircraft crashes is amazing.

Some folks are suddenly bothered by the "dangers" of aircraft (of any type) coming from an airport that has been there for almost 70 years, which has resulted in how many deaths or injuries?

The same people are NOT campaigning to close down all the highways in their neighborhoods, or to ban automobiles. How many kids and adults have died in auto related accidents in the area in the last 70 years? Heck, how many kids have been run over in their own driveways, or crossing streets during that time?

Too often emotional responses and the tendency of the news media and politicians to "do something" in response to every event results in bad decisions and bad laws.

Leave the airport, let the planes fly, but be more careful driving back and forth in the area and the death rate will decline.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:51 p.m.

"Does your house front a road? Should you have an expectation that cars are going to loose control and crash into your home? "

Yes, you should. It happens very, very frequently doesn't it?

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:58 p.m.

When West Jordan City decided to build the soccer fields at that location it was because the ground was cheap, the City Shops were right next to it, and the City Managers at that time always took the path of least resistance. (Maybe thay still do, who knows?) At any rate, the airport was there decades before the soccer fields. So the decision was made by the City, not any aviators or aviation officials.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:17 p.m.

I'm sorry to hear of another airplane crash. However it is necessary to keep things in perspective. Far more people are killed in car crashes than are killed when an airplane goes down. We don't close down the roads when that happens and we shouldn't consider shutting down or moving that airport.

• orcaone Lehi, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:18 p.m.

It amazes me of the knee jerk reaction of some of these people. This airport is under the approach and take off of Salt Lake City airport. I have more confidence in pilots than I have in the average Utah driver. Reality Check!!
    Accidents unfortunately occur in every human indeavor.

• Just an old guy Centerville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:20 p.m.

I am sorry that we have had another death involving an aircraft crashing into a neighborhood. As others I am glad no one on the ground was hurt. Any call to move the airport is probably a knee-jerk reaction. A thoughtful consideration of that idea would yield a reasoned conclusion of where? When the existing airport was built, I would guess over 50 years ago, it was in the sticks. The growth in the valley has encroached on what was a remote area. So if you move it, assuming you can find a place to move it to, how long will it be until the "move it" cry is again raised? As unpleasant as it is to us, risk is part of life. I would venture to say that more people will die in home fires within a 10 mile radius of that airport than will die from an aircraft crashing into a home or homes. Or a child will die in their own driveway as a result of an over burdened, over worked rushing family member. We cannot eliminate all causes of potential danger, we can only live with them as best as we can.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:05 p.m.

To all those criticizing the previous comments. I found nothing to criticize. Saying 'maybe we need restrictions, or maybe this, or that' is just... "maybe". The point, no one is crying out "Down with pilots!". We're just making remarks about what some feel may help. Those opinions to me are welcome.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:54 p.m.

That would be a reason I didn't buy a house out there.

Dont move buy a _______ and complain.

Dump
    Walmart
    Busy road
    freeway
    dairy farm
    where wild animals call home

• 4blade2007 Provo, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:47 p.m.

VST - Bountiful has it right. Knowing that Airport #2 was there first, why didn't the city (WJ) do a better job zoning the surrounding area of the airport? Obviously too late now,but here is another idea, SLC sell the property to WJ so they can develop the land as they see fit. Build another Airport #2 in the valley and zone enough property surrounding the airport to avoid this hazard.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Oct. 5, 2011 7:12 a.m.

Fiberglass experimental plane is all that I have seen. Has it been reported what type of plane this is? Rutan or Cozy perhaps.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Why do the ignorant want to close the airport, or restrict homebuilt aircraft?

READ.

The causes in bothcases were Pilot error.

What are you going to restrict or do away with?
    Humans?

================

@A voice of Reason | 4:26 p.m. Oct. 4, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

"I personally think airports should be farther from city's myself."

You must be new around here.

That airport [South Valley Regional U42] was built before and completed in 1942.

It was 20 miles from anyone, and only dairy farms and beet farmers lived out there.

It was like that until the last 20 years -- but if you did a little research....
    Land Developers arm twisted the local building codes to allow them to develop that area into residential districts.

The airport was there 1st.

Greedy developers and cheap housing lured people knowing full well what they were getting.

Economy 101 -- You get what you pay for.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Seriously people, if you built a house next to the airport then you are responsible for any attendant possibilities. Take freakin' responsibility for your actions..

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 10:11 a.m.

@ JJJHS

You left off railroads.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 10:13 a.m.

My condolsebces to the familys involved by this unforseen event. To lose family members at an early age is tragic. May you be comforted.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 5, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Sad that they both died. At least they died doing something they enjoyed doing.

• nascarfan885 MOAB, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 12:02 p.m.

i went to school with the pilot and as you guys sit here and discuss airplanes and if they should not be there, there is a wife and children, father, mother, brothers etc out there grieving the loss of this pilot not to mention the passenger. I know Jared has been flying for quite a long time so maybe get the priorities straight and not focus on the airport but the loss of 2 individuals.

• captainflyboy SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 2:06 p.m.

First of all people need to stop posting when they don't know what they are talking about. Experimental planes are inspected just as much as any other small plane. For those that want to close down the airport just because there have been two accidents in three weeks. The same mentality would mean we should close down I-15. I happen to be really close friends with Jared and his family and have flown many times with this very experienced and capable pilot. He had thousands of hours. For those that are complaining about him crashing into an empty field, it's better than your house. Pilots are trained to look for emergency landing spots for this very scenario. I think that he did an amazing job to ensure that no one else was hurt. Thank you Jared for all that you have taught me. It was a privilege to know you. You will be sorely missed.

• penny 4 thoughts SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 4:32 p.m.

So much said about where airports should be located and who was there first, but have you considered how those two men felt when they knew they were in trouble and would probably die? Their families are grieving and have much more to deal with than the issues on which most of these comments are focused. First and foremost, two lives were lost. Anyone notice that the story headline was about the second person in the West Jordan crash had also died, not about issues that are now moot? My thoughts and prayers are with the grieving families. I'm so sorry they have lost a loved one. Focus, people, on what can be done for them instead of discussing those things that can't be undone.

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 6:24 p.m.

Are there any rules at all? Or is a person just allowed to fly an experimental plane near an elementary school and where kids play soccer? Life is not a Mtn. Dew commercial.
    I'm glad no bystanders were hurt.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 8:16 p.m.

@ moniker lewinsky

There are good men who die in accidents, unfortunately. No amount of regulations will prevent such an occasional situation. The most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport. These men, and the one who perished next to the elementary school, and I dare say the one who crashed at the air show in Reno had absolutely no intention whatever of crashing and being killed or injuring anyone on the ground. Their families deserve a bit of our feelings of sadness and grief at their untimely passing. I love flying myself and know it to be very safe. Accidents do happen and we mourn those that are lost. There are other examples, too, like the Indiana State Fair. I feel for those who have suffered innocently by losing loved ones. Their pain is real.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Oct. 5, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Homebuilt or Kitpplanes are generally well constructed and the certification process is rigid. This plane must have passed since there were two people aboard, only one is allowed in the precertification phase.

• redflyer WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 11, 2011 9:16 p.m.

It is always tragic when there is an accident that ends in the death of those aboard the vehicle, whether a car, bus, plane, etc. There are a number of concerns addressed here, but they're being unrealistic. You cannot place an airport far from a community and have the same benefit. Pilots are highly trained, and they are trained to fly in urban environments. Southern California is a perfect example, with a plethora of airports with pilots of varying skills and aircraft fly. SLC should continue to run the airport- as they always have and are better equipped to do so. They also run the Tooele Airport, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it right? There may be some good neighbor practices to institue, but I'd be careful how hard you push for the wrong changes. Look at communities who are successfully instituting changes for their own urban airport neighbors. They're not the bad guys!