Faith

Members react to general conference via social media

Comments

• Holger Roy, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:35 p.m.

Most significant is the name of the church. It is not A Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints, but THE Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints, meaning the one and only true and living Church so designated by the Savior Himself. I do not believe Joseph Smith would have so named the Church on his own.

• Morgan_Freeman's_Voice Provo, Zion
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Facebook was invented by one of those college drop-out atheists. I wouldn't touch that website with a 10-ff. iron rod.

I still don't understand what this Twitter hooplah is all about.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:39 p.m.

I agree that people should use social media.

But if my experiences are any indication...

many will complain of the 'contention' about expressing those views with the general public.

If you can't stand criticism, don't make your belief's up for a public debate. :)

• Shushannah Milnthorpe, Cumbria
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:34 a.m.

I was once a 'college drop-out atheist', as you put it, and only wish I could have been inspired enough to do something like Facebook...I have spoken to church members who have tried it, hated it and left. But, I love Facebook, and have a spiritual feast on there, daily...the majority of my friends and groups are LDS, or Mormon, and we all put uplifting comments and statements...when someone is down, we offer love, support and advice...living alone as an empty nester, my life was lonely and unfulfilled (I can't get around much, these days) My friends on Fb make such a difference. I use my status to bear testimony of the gospel, as often as prompted...I talk about the church, and about family history, to members and non-members alike...I have even helped ex-members and less-actives to come home to the Fold...

Facebook, as with any other tool, is only as good as its wielder. I am sure the same can be said of Twitter, though I don't use that myself.

• Firefly123 Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Good and evil exist everywhere. If we choose not to use it for good, the adversary will use it for evil. Who's on the Lords side? Me! Me! I shout it to the world. Too bad the link wouldn't open for my Facebook friend in Pakistan, who dearly wanted to watch conference.

• hc1951 Bend, OR
    Oct. 5, 2011 11:28 a.m.

I find commenting on articles like this one, and even non-LDS sites that come through my MormonTimes & FAIRLDS email updates a fun & relatively non-intimidating way to share my opinions & beliefs.

• alien236 LOGAN, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 11:36 p.m.

@Shushannah: Huzzah for you! Do you have any advice you could offer for doing such things, particularly for bringing people back to the fold?