BYU football report card: Nelson sparks teammates in wild win over Utah State

Comments

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:51 p.m.

4 games too late but finally they made the switch away from Heaps,if they start Heaps again next week I'm done with BYU until they replace Bronco.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Heaps definitely deserves a failing grade in this one.

• nairbnosral American Fork, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:16 p.m.

I'd give the offense a solid C. Riley Nelson saved them from getting a solid F. D-News is always too generous grading the offense.

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Maybe Heaps will take a red shirt year due to injury....

I'm sure his feelings got hurt tonight.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:26 p.m.

How about a USU report card?

Finishing the game: F
    Same score as all other D1 games.

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Good move inserting Riley into the game. It not only sparked the offense but defense as well. Maybe Heaps is not ready for primetime yet. I think Nelson deserves more chances.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Falsev does not have the intestinal fortitude to be a return man. He shouldn't be there, he doesn't have the mind for it. I thought I read somewhere that in practice, Jordan Johnson was nearly impossible to stop as a return man. Why can't the coaches give him a shot?

I agree that the grades are way too generous. Outside of the decision to bench Heaps, I thought the coaching was poor on both sides of the ball. C+ at best in coaching.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:47 p.m.

whatever....the only good grade goes to nelson and hoffman...everyone else gets an F...especially the defense...non tackling baboons.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 10:51 p.m.

USU is the BEST 1-3 team in the nation!! Three heart-breaking losses already and the season is still young. All the best to coach Anderson and his Aggies the rest of this season. They deserve some breaks-to go their way.

The only thing that saved the coaches from an "F" is their decision to bench Heaps in favor of Nelson. Wish they had done that in the Texas game.

Leadership and a playmaker was all BYU needed and they found both in Riley Nelson.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Heaps has played terrible for 5 weeks in a row. Keep him on the bench. I want to see James Lark in the game next week backing up Riley.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:18 p.m.

Dr. Rush,
    Good be done with them, you and the rest of the band wagon jumpers can cruise over to the utes they have plenty of room for more fans..

D-news a little nice on the grading curve tonight.. that defense should have gotten a c to c+ tonight.

But the bright side good win will take it lets get things rolling.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Grade for Diluigi's helmet bangs on forehead and foul mouth antics: F.

• Arizona1 Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:54 p.m.

Perhaps Doman felt more comfortable calling plays with Nielsen because he was an option quarterback too. I've been disappointed in Heaps' production this year, but at the same time I don't think the play calling for him has been that great either. At the same time, I don't know if the BYU players have been fully behind Heaps despite the standard lip service that they support the players that the coaches place as starters. I think some of the comments in the postgame show proved that. It's hard to be successful if your teammates aren't 100% behind you.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:59 p.m.

The bitterness hatred and jealousy Aggies show towards all things Byu has turned me from being a big Aggie supporter into someone who loves these meltdowns. Turbid is fantastic. Byu is admittedly not very good. But I love knowing this games is the biggest of the season for many Aggies. I love knowing this lucky win pains you so. And its icing on the cake that riley nelson was the reason. Thank you Aggies. Your constant hatred for all things Byu puts a smile on my face. I love knowing how you feel tonight! Enjoy conference tomorrow!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:13 a.m.

Better to be lucky than good at times. That's about it for BYU tonight. It was a rotten game to watch until the end.

Horrible Heaps is Toast. Have a sit and think about all of the missed receivers and consider that maybe the reason for some of the dropped balls is the receivers just don't get you. I had high hopes for Heaps, but, he's just played without heart, grit or fortitude. And he's played foolish as well.

Hope Riley keeps it up. Considering the opposition, it shouldn't be hard until TCU. Then... ugh if Doman hasn't figured this touchdown thing out. Jake seemed to seize up when the goal line neared.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:14 a.m.

I wouldn't trade Jordan Wynn for 5 Jake Heaps clones.

lol!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:35 a.m.

I wish there was a Condemn button next to the Recommend button on these comments.
    Some people just are not very gracious in victory.

I am a huge BYU fan but you have to feel bad for the Aggies. They came so close in three games this year and got the short end of the stick.

Remember that the players on the other team are people and have feelings. How about showing some good sportsmanship?

• geggett Orem, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:45 a.m.

Maybe it has been explained, but I was left wondering why BYU coaches chose to kick a point-after-touchdown to make it 17 to 21, instead of going for two with the possibility of closing the score to within a field goal. At worst it would have failed, and the score would have been 16 to 21 (no worse than 17 to 21), and at best it would have been 18 to 21, and they would only need a field goal late in the game to tie it. They got lucky it didn't cost them the game. Very poor coaching.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:56 a.m.

Surprised to see those lofty grades.

Did we watch the same game?

BYU's offense looked anemic. Sure, riley saved the day. But when grading a team's overall offense, shouldn't you evaluate both halves? Counting only the second half of offense, when things started to pick up, seems like cheating. Because like it or not, Offense A is still a big part of the team.

Here's how I would grade BYU tonight:

Offense: C- (not enough of it, and BYU showed yet again they can't find the end zone. Even with six straight tries from inside the 10.)

Defense: B- (probably the high point of the team tonight)

Special Teams: B

Kicking: C (make one, miss one equals 50%)

Coaching: B- (got the job done, but made plenty of bad decisions)

Overall: C+ (gotta evaluate all 4 quarters of BYU football. And comprehensively tonight, they were very sub-par)

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:26 a.m.

You missed one thing DN. Early 4th qtr BYU TD but where was the idea for two points conversion to make it three points game? And it was not the first time that happened. Who are responsible of when to prepare for two points. Either way, be behind by 5 points and yes we play for td or be behind by 3 points then Justin Sorenson may hit his 65 yarder FG to tie. I am not grading this - what do you think?

• bobco SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:45 a.m.

The win tonight was good. The dilemma now on hand is not so good. Riley showed some grit and leadership, but I don't think he is the style of quaterback that the Y needs. I think Jake fits that mold better, but obviously his play is not up to snuff. The really bad part is that if Riley plays going forward he has all of the patty cakes and will do well, but I think Jake would also. He showed us he can beat up on those type of teams last year, so really this is not a good situation. I thought the move tonight was good, but Bronco needs to stick with Jake to hopefully get that going eventually. I see more upside with Jake still. Is BYU going to be an option team now? Just my opinion. Nice job to Riley and good luck coaches figuring this one out!

• neglib Herriman, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Bronco explained after the game it was too soon to go for 2 after the early 4th Q TD.

• Gutted for my Ags Logan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:54 a.m.

I love that this Ted H. character below is so blissfully free from hatred and malice that he stays online spreading his good will and encouragement in every single story posted about the game.

I'm proud of my Ags and excited by the prospect of a great rivalry. Happy that it was Riley that got the win...he deserves it. Just growing pains Aggies! Keep your heads down. Conference title on the way!!!!

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 10:14 a.m.

James Lark be ready..

The way these BYU fans truly are you will be getting the call next week. People how soon you forget Riley is not that great of a D1 QB, he was the spark we needed tonight however, he is not the answer for the rest of the year you jumpers and haters like Chris B and the utes are looking for.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Jake Heaps was getting ruined. The game is too fast for him right now. His throws were panic throws, too soon in the routes, or overthrown bullets. He has potential, but he needs to sit and learn his trade. I've been worried since game 2 that he is just not ready and the Utah game convinced me that the wheels were coming off the offense.

Heaps may or may not step up to the challenge, but he would not play for me this year, except in blowouts.

I hope they give Nelson the reins and let him go. A return to the silly alternation of last year would be a disaster. Heaps is not ready, let Nelson see what he can do. The extra dimension of Nelson's mobility will remind us of Doman's last year if the passing he showed us holds up.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 2:51 p.m.

neglib | 9:25 a.m. Oct. 1, 2011
    Herriman, UT
    -----------

Bronco was wrong.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Tomahawk Red
    No one has made you the offer for a trade. Please keep Wynn and your triumphant utes.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2011 2:43 p.m.

You mean the aggies have had growing pains for about 70 years now. Wow who would of thought a team could be that horrible for so many years.