BYU vs. USU from an Aggie insider perspective

Comments

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:17 p.m.

I really hope BYU players read this article. Nothing against the Aggie Players, but the article sure got me fired up with desire to see the Cougs humble the Cache Valley Cry Baby fans. This game is a MUST win for BYU. I see Heaps finally breaking out. BYU 34 - USU 20.

• Cougs25 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Tavin,

Wow.... the hate?? Speaking in public on behalf of your fan base like that makes you look extremely bitter, jealous, and insecure. Looks like you got a little a head of yourself.

• Smart1? Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:23 p.m.

Love the USU guys comment about BYU fans being fair weather fans... just because USU suffers as a bottom of the Barrel team does not mean that BYU fans are fair weather when we have a tough season.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:35 p.m.

BYU fans like to remember a positive time for them in their history--their national championship. USU fans like to blame Utah and BYU and in particular BYU for keeping USU out of the WAC. At the time, USU had the better football team. USU fans think that being kept out of the WAC made them fall behind. I think BYU gets the brunt of this hate because USU fans see BYU as having stolen what could have been USU's destiny. True or not, USU looks back on bad days and complains and BYU looks back on very good days and believe they are destined to see that every year. I guess I would prefer to look back on the good days rather than the bad. Add to that that BYU stole USU's blue and imitated Aggie Ice Cream, I think USU feels BYU has been in the business of stealing from USU; thus the hate.

• OregonCougarFan Keizer, OR
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Wow, lots of hate up in Cache Valley! (One of the reasons I moved from there 20 plus years ago). When I was at BYU, I dated a guy who went to USU and had deemed himself the president of the "Hate BYU" fan club. I asked him what USU's big deal with hating BYU was all about. I told him that I didn't think BYU fans felt the same way about USU. His reply? "That's just it - you don't know we exist." I thought it was pretty telling, and still is, with last year's result being an aberration.

• DougP9 Orem, Utah
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Wow! This Stucki guy is a piece of work. USU fans are generally a very classy group. Yes, they beat us up pretty good last year and have a right to gloat, but all this hate talk? Time to get a new sports editor USU and maybe have the rest of the staff chip in and get him a little therapy as a going away gift.

• CBPapa Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Stucki needs a hug.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Stuki said,

"Aggie fans hate BYU. Zoobs are fairweather fans and have an innate ability to take pro-BYU propaganda and bathe themselves in it."

You know, we don't USU at all. There hasn't been much to hate. Can't we all just get along?

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I love how surprised Cougar fans are that USU fans hate them as well. Of course, they then want to attribute it to jealousy, or that their football team has struggled. Then the lecture on how bitter it makes people sound to hate (didn't hear the same reaction after Hall's comments though).
    Utah and USU fans don't like BYU fans because they are annoying and as the editor beautifully pointed out, love to shower themselves with praise. It has nothing to do with sports.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Both BYU and USU are great schools with loyal fans. I happen to be a fan of both. BYU has many more fans and seems to be a target of hate by some at both USU and U of U. It is really pathetic when anyone hates a rival more than they love the team they claim to be a fan of. It is taken way to seriously by some.
    If USU wants respect, they need to earn it on the football field like their basketball team did and just like any other team. BYU has to do the same thing again if it wants to be counted with the nations top programs again.
    I pull for all the in-state schools because it is good for the state.
    People get so carried away with hating the other team when the hate is inspired completely by the fans of the other team. Players and coaches are mostly civil and professional to each other. Most of the moronic fans grow up and will be embarrassed by their behavior when younger.

• Wally Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Stucki,
    What is with all the "Hate" stuff. Grow up.

• scotsman Logan, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:42 p.m.

As a die hard fourth generation Aggie fan, I don't cheer for BYU and get annoyed by some of their fans just like I do with any other team's fans. Tavin Stucki is a joke of a reporter and everyone up here knows it, now all of you cougar fans know it too.

• CBPapa Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Ragnar Danneskjold | 4:18 p.m. Sept. 28, 2011
    Bountiful, UT
    "I love how surprised Cougar fans are that USU fans hate them as well...."

I'm not surprised at all. I've known of USU's hatred for BYU my whole life. My parents moved to Logan many years ago. (About the time the WAC was created and USU was left out.) My dad applied for a job at USU. When they saw his resume and that he had graduated from BYU his resume was handed back to him and he was told: "BYU takes care of their own...and so do we."

However, as a "professional" sports writer Stucki does get a bit unprofessional. (Max's comments were out of line...but he also wasn't a paid professional. Ha! I guess he still isn't.) It will be interesting to see how much mail Stucki gets if BYU wins...because as one person said on these comments: "Stucki's words are great fodder for the bulletin board in the Cougar locker room."

• newwest Ferron, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Here's my perspective as one who graduated from both BYU and USU.
    For whatever reason, USU chooses to measure itself in terms of BYU. When I was a USU grad student, I read this headline in the Statesman: "Aggies Whip Cougars in Cross Country". Upon reading the article, I learned that USU placed third and BYU fourth. Apparently the important thing wasn't that the Aggies placed third, but that they beat BYU. In this same spirit, USU used to declare "National Tequila Day" every time BYU played in Logan.
    USU's BYU fixation is self-imposed. It far predates Riley Nelson and the recent WAC shakeup. And it's at the root of USU's hatred towards BYU.
    It's silly. It's unnecessary. It's time to give it up.
    BYU holds a narrow lead in the all-time BYU/USU football series, so USU was ahead in wins until relatively recently. I remember when the annual USU-BYU football game was always competitive (and usually, high scoring). Maybe those days have returned.
    In the meantime, Aggie fans should quit making ridiculous characterizations of BYU fans. Are you listening, Mr. Stucki?
    Most Aggies would fit in just fine at BYU, and vice-versa.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 5:06 p.m.

I pretty much nothing usu. Other than the game week I never even think of them. Not surprised they are haters however. Come sfrom being beaten down year ofter year after year.....

• lvsportsfan Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 28, 2011 5:31 p.m.

Stucki summed up the reason why Aggie fans hate BYU more than Utah. It's because there are more BYU fans in Cache Valley. I think the main reason one fan starts to hate another team is because of banter with that team's fans. Also another reason is one team's dominance over another. A perfect example of this is Jazz fans that hate the lakers. There are a lot of lakers fans in Utah and the Lakers have lately dominated head-to-head match-ups. I could be way off, but it makes sense.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Sept. 28, 2011 5:37 p.m.

"But he knows how good this BYU program is."
    Which would be why he's to play BYU. ;->

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 5:50 p.m.

I am a die-hard BYU fan who also likes USU and I cheer for them every game except for the BYU game, but this Stucki guy is a jerk and for his sake I want USU to lose every game. However, one-fan does not speak for the entire USU fan base. Go Aggies except this week.

• aggie bob Logan, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 7:14 p.m.

Here's why I dislike BYU. Many of the people I've met that go to BYU are self-righteous and stuck up because of the fact that they attend BYU. The "Lords University"? Gimme a break. And, yes, I have heard this used in a serious context. Some act as if they're being more righteous by attending BYU than another school. Their head is in the clouds. I understand that this is not everyone but as a member of the church, I am embarrassed by this attitude that I have noticed multiple times.

Go Aggies. Time to humble some zoobs.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 7:15 p.m.

The Aggies have a great shot as long as BYU keeps Hypes in. He is their 12th man.

This will be a great game! (Wow, never thought I'd say that with Utah or BYU playing Utah St.)

Go Aggies!!

Heaps vs. Utah, 0-2
    Heaps vs. Utah St. 0-2?

• acoach Midvale, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 7:55 p.m.

You all realize the Statesman is a student run newspaper for USU students, right?

• OldTymer logan, utah
    Sept. 28, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Mr. Stucki is an embarrassment to Aggie Nation. His comments do not belong on the same page with a classy Al Lewis. Sure Aggies hate BYU but at least come up with some intelligent thoughts. Truth is aggie fans tire of hearing hype about BYU but truth is that is what most people in UT like to read about. Let the playing do the talking (as we have in basketball) and earn respect.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 28, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Ragnar Danneskjold

And you act like Utah players have never used the "hate" word. please.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 9:14 p.m.

As a Cougar Fan, and watching our dismal offense, I am well prepared for another loss. Don't get me wrong, I think our DEFENSE is super spectacular and is pulling the weight for the whole team! I think this is a LEARNING YEAR for Heaps, you can't come into a Sophomore year thinking you are all that, when you just aren't! He's good, and he will be great when he learns to handle the pressure, the boo's, and the offensive coordinator calls plays that allow him to WIN games, not just, "Not Lose" games. You have to let the kid fire the gun! 2 shots down the field a game? No wonder he is so off target, he probably gets to throw one more than 15 yards in practice everyday if he is a good boy, and say's please and doesn't bite his nails or pick his nose! Let the kid play, sink or swim, stick with him, he'll be better next year, work with him, help him get confidence and give him a chance to make plays! Way to go Defense!!! Way to go Bronco! Final Score, Utah State-31, BYU-10 maybe 17 if defense adds one!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 10:02 p.m.

I interviewed for graduate school at USU. The grad students all had to say about how their program was better than BYU blah blah blah. Some of the professors even had things to say about BYU. I thought it was pretty immature and annoying.

I can guarantee you if I had interviewed at BYU for the same graduate program there wouldn't have been a word said about USU. Not sure why they have to obsess over a school that doesn't really care about them. Whatever. I'm out of state and fine with that.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Wow who is this stucki kid? he really needs to grow up, he acts like an 8 year old. Anyway about the game... BYU remembers well what happened last year and lets not forget that BYU's D is now being coached by Mendenhall instead of Hill. The key to the game imo is BYUs front seven vs The Aggies running game, if BYU can contain Turbin and the Aggies running game, the Cougars will win. Another key is the Aggies are 110th in turnover Margin and when BYU wins the turnover Margin they win more then 90 percent of the time. I think the Cougars D will get it done and force some turnovers... BYU wins by 10.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 10:31 p.m.

It looks like yet another team hates BYU.

BYU is good at making teams hate them.

• Northern Logan, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 10:53 p.m.

@SoCalTrueBlue2
    "sure got me fired up with desire to see the Cougs humble the Cache Valley Cry Baby fans. This game is a MUST win for BYU. I see Heaps finally breaking out. BYU 34 - USU 20."

First off on any given sporting event, not another team on the planet cries more than BYU. I like Byu except when the play the REAL and FIRST True Blue of the Aggies.
    In men's league when playing with former collegiate BYU athletes, they also cry more than any other school.

I don't know if USU will win, but If I have to guess now based on all information, USU wins this game. Good luck to both teams may you both play honorably. Knock them down Aggies. Then pick them back up, with the mutal respect of athletes that put it on the line every day.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 10:57 p.m.

We get it: Aggie Bob hates BTU; why? Because "many of the people I've met that go to BYU are self-righteous and stuck up because of the fact that they attend BYU...Their head is in the clouds. So anecdotal evidence (which would never be admitted in a court of law)indicts all BYU fans as self-righteous and stuck up. I'm curious where the figures are. Enrollment these days numbers about 30,000, so that would mean that many hundreds of people now living have studied at BYU. What percentage would qualify as having these negative traits?

Actually, I do know a few self-righteous, and stuck-up BYU alumni with their heads in the clouds. I instructed there for a few years before going off to instruct students at UCLA and later Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, some of whom were self-righteous and stuck up (and they weren't even LDS). But I don't think it helps matters to make sweeping generalizations of an entire group because of the actions of a limited few.

On the other hand, USU lost to Colorado State, so they really don't have much to be stuck up about.

• BYU, Always #1 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 11:32 p.m.

I attended Utah State for a few semesters, and it is actually one of the reasons I left so soon... they hated BYU with a passion and when I said " I think most BYU fans also like Utah State, it's utah that BYU fans hate." apparently that was self righteous of me.
    The reason Utah State hates BYU is ... well actually I never really got an answer.
    The Aggies can hate BYU if they want but, I will still cheer for them as long as they don't play BYU.
    Go Cougars, win by 1 point!

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 6:49 a.m.

I'm an Aggie. I don't hate BYU. I also know the long-standing tradition USU has in losing at football. It just seems so phony to put on airs about USU's football team being disrespected or ignored--they've done it to themselves.

USU is the best engineering school in the state--but for football? Meh.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 8:07 a.m.

cougar on the prowl, So why don't you show us where you got the 90% winning when getting more turnovers stat from? Always great to use stats to prove your case, but they must be accurate stats not make believe. As for the game, If it is close going into the second half the Aggies will win. Heaps gets happy feet and just makes very bad choices in his reads and will make some crucial mistakes, while the Aggies will pound it with Turbin, Smith and Williams then hit the y with a couple long balls. Aggies win 27-24

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Sept. 29, 2011 8:31 a.m.

It's really sad when one team so desperately wants a fierce rivalry, but the other side already has one. If Utah State wants respect they need to earn it. TCU was left out of the Big 12 and they didn't fall off the map into obscurity. Once in the WAC, had USU really built a solid program it would have made a great rivalry with Boise State. The two are close enough to each other but USU didn't compete on the field, so Boise never paid them any mind. Win football games first, and worry about rivalries later...the best rivalries happen, they're not forced.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 8:42 a.m.

Maybe if everyone watches/listens to Conference this weekend they can hear another GA tell them how we all play on the same team and that Hate is going to ruin their life.

Also, not sure why this even gets printed. The "media" is perpetuating the hate from a couple of loose cannons.

I stood in Costco in Orem with 50 other "byu-utah fans" cheering for USU to beat Auburn. It was awesome!!

So give up the Hate USU/ Stucki-Lewis whomever you are and join the rest of the State in trying to raise the level of football from the STATE OF UTAH!!!!!

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Sept. 29, 2011 8:43 a.m.

stucki, thank you! You have done more "in just one day" to inspire the Cougars football team than all the coaches and fans have done in the entire preparation period for this USU game. I am quite sure that you will be a "real hit" of the Aggie fans after Friday when they realize exactly what you have done - and they are going to blame "you" directly for the loss. Oh, life is sweet for the big mouths of the world.

However, I sincerely hope that "all of our friends and family members" that live and support that great University in Logan know that we love them. Please remember, the game on Friday is ONLY FOOTBALL.

Any fans that have bad feelings for BYU (real or imagined), please accept the apologies of the Cougar fans that do no reciprocate any bad feelings for USU. We are grateful for your existence and appreciate our associations! Go Aggies - except for Friday!

• lvsportsfan Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 29, 2011 9:07 a.m.

@ Sports Nutz, if the game is close, I would give a slight edge to BYU. The reason is that the Aggies have a hard time closing out games. I think they have the right tools to close out a game (Turbin and Smith), however, they haven't shown they can do it. The reason that it's a slight edge is because BYU let one go against Texas, but have won against ole' miss and UCF when they were close. Who knows though until they play. The Aggies could be due for a win in a close game.

• lvsportsfan Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 29, 2011 9:12 a.m.

by the way: Let's be careful when we accuse others of being self-righteous, because if you think about it, when one accuses another of being self-righteous, the accuser is acting self-righteously.

• bllr21 PAYSON, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 9:19 a.m.

No one has even talked about how bad Utah State's defense is. They are really not good and they let colorado state score 35 on them. This might be exactly what heaps needs to get going. Watch for heaps to throw for 300 yards, 3 td's and BYU to win 35-21.

• 3rdGenAggie Logan, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 9:27 a.m.

You kitty fans have a serious persecution complex. You're all having a heart attack over some stuff a writer for the STUDENT newspaper said. You need to grow up more than he does, difference is that he's probably like 22, most of you are in your 30's or 40's.

And for the record, I don't like byu either. :)

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Silly, Stucki. Scooby-like terms are for kids. Sorry I can't take you seriously now. I'm glad you're an Aggie fan in losing efforts, just like you were in 18 of the last 20 meetings. If that's what it takes to be an Aggie-style fan, I'll take the fair weather Cougar fan experience over that any day. Oh by the way, the weather looks to be good tomorrow. So I guess we will both be happy with the games outcome! Hahahahaha....

• Triple B Milford, NH
    Sept. 29, 2011 11:09 a.m.

I love to talk to USU fans who hate BYU but are ACTIVE members of the LDS church. Thank you for your financial support!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 11:30 a.m.

just saw this on a friends facebook, classic!

I am asking all my BYU friends to do me a favor. Please wear Aggie Blue tomorrow night in support of Utah State football, I don't even care if it has a Y logo on it, or if you pretend to cheer for the Y, as long as it's TRUE AGGIE BLUE that's all that matters, we'll all know. Thank you all for your support. Please let as many Cougars know as you can, let's see if we can get a bunch of them on tv wearing our Aggie colors!!! Go Aggies, two in a row!!!!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 12:01 p.m.

triple B, aren't all members taught to give to the less fortunate among us?

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 12:42 p.m.

• StillAnAggie Lehi, Utah
    Sept. 29, 2011 12:51 p.m.

Stucki....I'm embarressed for you Bro. You don't represent all of Aggie Nation that way. Too much hate sounds like "...I hate everything about the Utes" comment made a couple of years ago.

• payara OREM, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 3:19 p.m.

BYU 31, USU 17

• CBPapa Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Sports Nutz | 12:42 p.m. Sept. 29, 2011
    Smithfield, UT
    "Also triple B, members can designate where there money goes and for that matter doesn't go. Not one single penny of my money has gone into any byu sports program."

Ummm...Nutz...do some research. If you're a full tithe payer, then at least some of that money has gone to BYU. Probably impossible to tell if any has gone to the sports program directly, but talk about splitting hairs! Members can designate where SOME of their offerings go...but not tithing my friend. That's up to the higher authorities. Hmm...maybe on the "tithing" line you indicated that you want to exclude any of these tithes going toward BYU athletics. Now THAT would be funny.

Onto the real reason for the article...FOOTBALL...not donations.

Turnovers is the key...if BYU can hang onto the ball, they win by at least 10 points. If BYU turns it over I'm afraid it could be two years in a row for the Aggies.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 5:11 p.m.

cb, My point is now and always has been, tithing should not be used for sports period! If you would bother to look a few posters before I did you would see that a byu fan is the one who made the statement about "USU fans that are active in the LDS church" giving financial support to byu athletics. If you can live with that being done when it should be going to help others in need (I know the sports programs at byu are in need of much help) then great for you.

As for the game.......Aggies on their own dime 27 byu 24

• Waipahuboy WAIPAHU, HI
    Sept. 29, 2011 9:45 p.m.

Stucki, you're just a tool...and utah state should go back to those green-and-white unis (haha). quit being the pot stirrer, be cool, and let your PLAYERS do the talkin' Friday night by executing on both sides of the ball.

hoping JH and the offense get it going Friday for BYU. the D will get tested by the USU offense, so i'm looking forward to a hard-fought game.

• disrupt the status Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:37 a.m.

The reason BYU is generally disliked is because of the arrogance and disrespect of the athletic program. Having been an opposing player and experienced this directly I am a first hand witness. We were forgotten, given dirty facilities, given less tickets for family members than any other road game, and treated like our program was a joke (despite the double overtime our game came down to, two years in a row). We played against big name programs like Oregon, Utah and USC and were treated with respect.

It isn't about wins or losses, it comes down to respect and treating people kindly despite competition. It all starts from the top, and personally I think BYU's athletic program and fans can be a really bad representation for an amazing church and community. I don't hate BYU, but I will always have a hard time cheering for them because of my experience.

• Aggieforlife Logan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:58 a.m.

Ok lets think about this, BYU is a large school with a large alumni base. A good portion of those alumni still donate to the school and their athletics. BYU makes a good amount of money from football with their TV deals and ticket sales. I would venture to say that they recieve no tithing money and are pretty self sufficient in that regard. So whenever I hear BYU fans say thanks for your tithing or Utah State fans say waste of tithing, they are ignorant statements. Does tithing go to the university portion of BYU to subsidize tuition yes, and I am fine with that. As an Aggie I get about as tired of the inferiority complex displayed by "some" Aggie fans as I do the superiority complex displayed by "some" BYU fans. They are both childish and cast a bad light on both Universitys.
    Ok now that I have vented, I look forward to this being a great game and do in my personal opinion believe the Aggies will win, but if they don't, at the end of the day it is just a game. Here's to a great game, Go Aggies!!!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 1:44 p.m.

aggie4life, If you get tired of both the byu and USU fans and what they have to say, then don't read these. If you can't take this for the smack talk goofing around that it is then I feel sorry for you, life is too short to take everything serious. It is easy to not read posts from people and now knowing your handle it will be just fine to breeze right past anything you say. At least we agree on one thing.....GO AGGIES!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:58 p.m.

"Here's why I dislike BYU. Many of the people I've met that go to BYU are self-righteous and stuck up because of the fact that they attend BYU. The "Lords University"? Gimme a break."

aggie bob:

Why is it that the (unprovoked) overwhelming majority of the posts from either a Ute or an Aggie are caustic in nature toward "The Lord's University". I'm not convinced there isn't a lot of hypocrisy coming from Cache Valley and SLC both. It seems to me, from the vast majority of comments I read, the best thing that could ever happen to either an Aggie fan or a Ute fan is to experience the complete demise of anything to do with BYU.

Having said that - I will give a great amount of credit to #6 Turbin for his endless pursuit of finding Coach Mendenhall after the game to offer his congratulations. We could all take notes and learn from that. Now that was total class. What say you?