Utah

Searchers dig up what looks like charred wood during search for Susan Powell

'It's not the hard evidence everyone wanted,' police say

Comments

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 3:53 p.m.

I'm confused. Deseret news reported earlier this week that a body had already been found. What am I missing in this story?

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 4:29 p.m.

To photographermom | 3:53 p.m. Sept. 17, 2011

What are you missing? Nary a thing. Nothing of substance has occurred now or in the past (the search in Nevada and other games that have been played concerning this case). So far there is no evidence that Susan Powell is dead, much less (if she is) how her death occurred. I really wish that the police would QUIETLY conduct their investigation and, if they ever turn up any credible evidence, tell us about it then. The way this is being hndled is too much a "boy crying wolf" scenario.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Sept. 17, 2011 4:31 p.m.

I think that it was assumed when they said that the dogs had a hit that there were bones. I also think that they are being very specific in what they say for reasons we don't understand maybe. Such as they have clarified very clearly about the dogs and the hits and that 11 out of 11 have made a hit on human remains, these dogs do not hit on animal remains. They need to be able to have the dogs work stand up in court. They stated last night, remains can be blood even, but those dogs did smell death and they have not smelled it in the piles of dirt that have been gone for and they keep hitting on that area. For the case of a prosecution, when that happens, they have to hold back a lot of information, so it will all make sense when they can charge someone, if this is Susan's body.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 4:37 p.m.

You haven't missed anything. Regarding the initial reports, apparantly the reporters made assumptions based on very little information. That has now been clarified by the WVCPD & Juab Co. investigators. I think their assumptions were based upon what was going to happen, with regards to the state forensic anthropologist studying the scene and any evidence at the scene. It was roported that the investigators indicated there was a 50-50 chance that Susan Cox was there. The reporters confused that information with the forensic anthropologist information and assumed they already had a body and were waiting for DNA results. I think also some of those at the scene may have spoken unofficially what they thought was imminant about digging up the body and then it turned out that the investigators wanted to check all soil from the alleged grave site for evidence. So now we have the correct story.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 4:44 p.m.

photographermom: no body has been found. The dogs smelled the decop of a body but not bones have been found.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Sept. 17, 2011 7:35 p.m.

The taxpayers may yet get tired of this farce.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 7:57 p.m.

BobP | 7:35 p.m. Sept. 17, 2011
    Port Alice, B.C.
    "The taxpayers may yet get tired of this farce."

What farce? The need for closer for the Cox family or the lame excuses of the Powell family?

Law Enforcement needs to find proof of death (Susan's body?) if she was killed. As a Utah and U.S. tax payer, I don't expect anything less. Maybe you expect something less in Canada.

• Over the Top Rigby, ID
    Sept. 17, 2011 8:37 p.m.

What the reports said earlier was "human remains" based on the hits of the cadaver dogs. There was no report orginally that there was a body. Pay attention.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Sept. 17, 2011 9:28 p.m.

There is no evidence that Susan Powell is alive. There is lots of evidence that her husband thinks she is dead, such as his seeking to publish her journals.

They have items tainted by strong connections to human remains. This may or may not relate to the Powell case, but it is almost certainly the reamins of some dead individual, apparently someone burned a body and then removed it. It is quite likely that if this is not the Powell case this is related to some murder.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Keep going, WVC cops. There is a crime out there to be solved, and even though the only "person of interest" is decidedly not cooperating, you seem to be getting closer. That comes from hard work and smart work, not quick and easy work.

99% odds are that there is a murderer loose, and your job is to track down sufficient evidence to convict him.

I am happy to pay whatever it takes to get murderers off the streets, no matter how long it takes.

• CARL South Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Did Josh Powell came back in his rented car having unexplained burns on his hands?

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:21 a.m.

ho hum

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:09 a.m.

nothing in the report said it was a human body of any kind pay attention folks and you mighty have a differant point of view

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:38 a.m.

The "at all costs" mentality is what's gotten the US into its fiscal mess. At some point, cut your losses.

Oh, by the way, I have a degree in botany - why was that detail remotely relevant? Couldn't they have spent whatever it takes and gotten a professional anthropologist?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Finding a particular body in a wilderness is far from from a certain thing. The odds are it will never be found. Unless this is done on purpose to gague Josh's reaction, why publicize it?

Wouldn't it be better for WVC Police to quietly go about their work and then call the media only if they find something?

I say this because they are setting themselves up for probable public failure, and I hate to see this.

• P. Kersey SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Of the approximately 82,000 square miles of Utah, what information directed WV to this particular 24 square feet of the state? I sure hope it was convincing.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Could it be Susan is well and happy living in Brazil. There is no evidence of murder in the house, or in the car or on the body of the suspect; and the alibi of the suspect is not what would be expected if one was hoping to avoid suspicion, in fact it cries look at me, I am crazy, dumb and foolish.

• thunderbolt Dutch John, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Why is the person in the photo contaminating the chared wood with her own DNA? Shouldn't she be wearing rubber gloves?

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:30 p.m.

sergio, Susan is probably there in Brazil with all the missing wives who's husbands didn't kill them. And all those husbands that didn't kill their missing wives tell the same stories. We just had a missing woman here in Missouri that has been missing for a few months, her husband finally confessed to killing her. He must not have gotten the handbook for husbands with missing wives that says, tell people they ran off with another man or are in Brazil.

• tenkids Monument Valley, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Like others I have followed this story from the beginning. I was shocked when I heard there was a poosibility they found her remains in an open location. I have ten kids and one thing i have learned is that it is rare for a child to repeat an untruth. Susan Powells son has stated her remains are in a mine shaft if I have read or listened correctly. This is why I wondered from the beginning if this could really be her remains. I do not however not have any doubt this location could be a relevant location, it is very close to where "the campsite" was located. I hope they are closer..

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:59 p.m.

@ sergio, Phoenix, AZ

Could it be your real name is Josh or possibly Steve???

I say take the time that is needed, the costs that are needed and find Susan Cox Powells remains. No one can disappear as cleanly as Susan without foul play.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:14 p.m.

% Mojules and owlmaster2.

Perhaps you are right, I certainly don't know; but I prefer to look on the bright side and hope that she is well and happy some place, until proven different.

• Let's be real Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 20, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Thanks to all the police and search people who are spending their time trying to solve this case. It is a mystery to most of us and sometimes quite disheartening. A person is missing. We need to remember that. Never give up hope. That is what I hope the search people are doing. I suppose that there is one way to know what happened and that is to have Josh grow up and tell us. That way he can get it off his mind and we can move on to another drama somewhere else.