Utah vs. BYU from a Utah insider perspective

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Utah will win. But this game essentially means nothing. When you're in BCS conference its abouting winning your conference to play in a BCS game.

We will play Oregon in the Pac 12 title game for the right to play in Rose Bowl, regardless of what happens Saturday.

byu will play in some bowl I forget the name and don't care regardless of what happens Saturday.

Another non-AQ practice for our guys, that is all this is.

Utah 31
    byu 17

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Sept. 13, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Chris B,

Do you honestly think that Utah's offense, which could't even put up that many points against Montana State, will put up 31 points against BYU's defense?

I hope the Ute players have the same attitude about this game that you say they do. They will get destroyed if they do.

• utah_man St. George, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 2:57 p.m.

@ Chris B-

Dude, quit predicing Utah to win. That is about the worst thing that could happen to us (based on your track record). And this game does mean a lot to Utah, it could mean the difference of us even making it to a bowl game. BYU is a lock to go to a bowl game, because they will win enough games, for sure, and are a great team. Utah, however, might (dare I even say probably won't) not get to a bowl game, so this game is huge.

Please, Chris, no more predictions!

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Great article, I love our city's radio talk show guys (including Gunther on 1280 I think) - super mix of former Y and Ute players who are insightful, classy, and know how to play up a rivalry the right way.

If Utah is playing this game down, they are going to lose it and then we'll see the boards full of excuses, followed by chest-pounding about the conference Utah plays in. Sorry guys...you got into a great conference, congrats, but you can pipe down after you lose head to head this year.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Riverton,

Do you really think an offense that averages 1 touchdown(a GAME) is even going to be within sniffing distance of a win come Saturday?

You'll get to 17 with our 2nd stringers in.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:14 p.m.

Dyer: "I hate that me being loud and cheering for my team is taken as a personal insult to BYU fans."

I don't think Dyer's statement is true by any stretch of the imagination. It's the personal invective and worse directed at fans of both schools by the fans of both schools that most of us find insulting. I'm insulted as a U fan when U fans and coaches like Urban Meyer make more of this rivalry than should be made of it, just as I am when Y fans do the same. I much prefer KW's approach to Meyer's. Coach McBride's approach was great: he wanted to win as much as Meyer, but he recognized it was a rivalry that should be infused with mutual respect and some fun. Meyer did a lot of great things at the U, but good riddance to his sophomoric approach to the rivalry (he says he still can't say the name of the team down south). IT'S A GAME!

I'd love to see a game on Saturday like last week's Michigan-ND game. Go Utes!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:33 p.m.

This is our rivalry game. I don't care if it's played in week three or week ten. While it certainly isn't the most important game of the season, it is the most important game this week and it means a lot to me as a Ute fan. If you say this game means nothing, you sound arrogant.

Go Utes!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Had BYU beaten Texas this game would be a BIG deal for the U because the Y would have been a top 20 team. As is, I think it's just about bragging rights. The U already think they are better than the Y being in the Pac 12 and the Y already feel the need to prove themselves being that they were the one left out.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Sept. 13, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Utah will lose, and they will not go to a bowl either. See chris you are not really that original.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Sept. 13, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Chris, the Ute offense has not exactly been "bowling" other teams over either. Maybe the Utes should have beat Montana like Oregon beat Nevada. Did not happen. Your team managed a whopping 14 against an average USC. A beat-down on the Utes would be great just to see you disappear again. Remember how well you predicted last years Vegas Bowl? Yeah that was a classic.

• BYUdude North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 4:43 p.m.

I am a true blue byu fan! I'm as big as they get, but since Utah left for the PAC-12 I have been cheering for them! They improve the quality of in state football and brings national attention to the state! By no means am I a U fan, but I am no longer a Utah hater, except for this week! Go cougars and good luck to Utah the rest of the season!
    I think BYU pulls this one our. It seems like their offense has more potential and if it gets going Utah will be in trouble. Wynn seems to have forgot how to throw the ball after his surgery.
    I love gunthers comments. Love the red and blue show.
    Go cougars!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 4:55 p.m.

"But this game essentially means nothing."

Chris B:

Hedging your bet are you?? This phrase loudly tells me you are admitting defeat.

BYU 37
    Utah 10

• Veracruz Brentwood, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:18 p.m.

Remember...

Johnny Harline is STILL open!!!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:46 p.m.

"Gunther: Unfortunately, both years that I played down there in Provo we lost. But I remember in 2007 in the 4th and 19 game, the fans gave me the business in the politest way possible..."

===

Gunther, do you really want to open the gates to whining about the fans in the other stadium?

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 13, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Urban has not changed one bit. He was totally classless at Utah and continues to be so today. He's a shame to the coaching community. I watched his commentary of the Wisconsin game and I think even his co-workers were shocked at what he said sometimes. His SEC arrogance shown through when he said that he liked how Wisconsin scheduled so low to prepare for conference play. WI was playing Oregon State. He takes cheap shots whenever he can. Can't stand the guy and never will. ESPN hired a fool.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 8:03 p.m.

re: Riverton Cougar | 2:15 p.m. Sept. 13, 2011

"If BYU's offense gets clicking (which we have yet to see this season, and should be just around the corner), BYU could possibly score 17 in the first quarter alone."

The power of "If".

I was going to say something about your hypothetical. However, you do such a good job of casting doubt on your own theory that I won't bother.

Is it that you'd like to believe in BYU's offense but reality keeps getting in the way??

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 8:05 p.m.

@ Veracruz | 5:18 p.m. Sept. 13, 2011

Does magic still happen too?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Sept. 13, 2011 8:28 p.m.

@Hank Pym,

I wasn't necessarily "casting doubt". The truth is that we don't know for sure that BYU's offense will be any better this week, and it is a hypothetical like you pointed out. BYU did show some potential on offense, and what better week to get it going than rivalry week? Especially since the Utes seem to not be taking this game seriously (after all, remember how unimportant this game is to you guys?). I'm not being foolish in my optimism for a better offense this week (we can't get a whole lot worse, anyway).

That being said, this hypothetical applies to the Utes as well. Where is their offense? BYU's defense has been shown to be good, and has been tested by 2 great offenses. Utah's is good, but still had struggles even against MSU. Utah's offense vs BYU's defense will almost definitely be in BYU's favor. BYU's offense vs Utah's defense will be in Utah's favor (in case BYU's offense gets clicking, in which case it will be more evenly matched, and possibly BYU's favor if all goes well).

All in all, BYU should definitely be favored (in addition to the home advantage).

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Sept. 13, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Great article, one of the best written so far.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 9:33 p.m.

@ Riverton Cougar

You used, "If", "have yet", "should" & "could" in your 2:15 post... Sounds quite skeptical to me.

More weasel words were used in your 8:28 post.

You can try and spin this and make this about both programs. But, you
    IMO look silly.

Both teams look like really average 8-4 teams.

The offensive ineptitude of both teams will continue Saturday.

This years holy war has a phenomenal chance of being the equivalent of a marathon being run in drying cement.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 9:48 p.m.

"Coach Whittingham has been much classier [than Meyer] in how he manages that."

Doesn't take much...

Meyer criticizing someone else's scheduling? LOL! Florida's out-of-conference scheduling got weaker every year he was there:

Western Carolina
    Western Kentucky
    Troy
    Florida Atlantic
    Citadel
    Charleston Southern
    Troy
    Florida International
    Appalachian State

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:37 p.m.

They hit the nail on the head. It's just another non-conference team. No need to hype the rivalry. This game means much more to BYU than to Utah.

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 12:48 a.m.

wardu
    ***BTW It will not be Utah Vs. Oregon, Really it won't be, you just don't know it yet, but you will.***

I agree, it will be Utah vs. Stanford, or Furd as fellow Pac12 fans call them.

Veracruz,
    Remember...

Brandon Burton is STILL unblocked!!!

Isn't it funny, if Utah wins this year, it will be 7 of 10.

• Unlucky HEBER CITY, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 7:32 a.m.

Reality is that the rivalry is now for fans. Utah as a team has moved on. This isn't their most important game anymore. BYU as a team this is the biggest game. Look at the preparation. The gag order a day early at BYU and on Jake Heaps shows that. Things are unraveling at BYU because their season boils down to beating Utah, after that what do they have to play for. Utah wins this week and then we will see what type of mental toughness the players have at BYU, can they pick it up in the coming weeks or do they end up 6 and 6. After losing to Texas I don't see alot of confidence in BYU anymore, because after Saturday what do they have to play for. Pride is all. Utah on the other hand has a lot left in front of them. BYU is not Notre Dame, one loss and they're done. Notre Dame needs to lose three before they are done.

• UTE Fan in Texas Prosper, TX
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:15 a.m.

If BYU can "Execute" their offense and run their plays with precise "Execution", then they might have a good chance to win. If they can't "Execute" than they won't win. "Execution" is critical for the Cougars to win. They have to "Execute" on Offense and they have to "Execute" on defense to have a chance to win. The team that better "Executes" their plays on Saturday will win.

• UTE Fan in Texas Prosper, TX
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:18 a.m.

I could have put my previous statement in quotations and Cougar Fans would have thought that was quoted directly from Bronco or Heaps.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Want more civility"

Gunther: "I hope not".

Keep it classy Utah! Max Hall was probably right....half right.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    Sept. 14, 2011 12:25 p.m.

All you ute fans are sure making a lot of comments regarding something that doesn't matter to you. It sounds like you protest too much.