BYU vs Texas from a Longhorn state of mind

Texas 32
    byu 17

Utah 32
    USC 21

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Thanks Charles, I think this weekly article is very interesting. I truly enjoy it.

Also, I hope Chris B. can get a job soon. Being productive in society can be a very positive thing.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:17 p.m.

@Chris B

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:29 p.m.

If the Longhorn Insiders are predicting only a 1 pt win for Texas, I'm going to have to say I like BYU's chances, a lot.

That tells me that they are not confident in Tx's ability to score the ball. Tx's biggest weakness is the Oline. BYU's strength is the Dline and the linebackers. Hopefully BYU's D can get off the block quick and rattle their QB early and often.

I do believe BYU's offense will play better this week and put up around 20 pts. If the defense can hold strong again, BYU wins.

Go Cougs!!!

• IDC Boise, ID
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:02 p.m.

BYU will be able to stop the run most if not all weekends this year. If Texas has a good qb and he has time, BYU could be in trouble.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I'm not sure if it means anything but Chris B didn't encourage anyone to "Mark it down" when he made his predictions. I do think I'll enjoy the weekend when Utah beats USC AND BYU beats Texas. Two road wins for two up and coming programs. Two 2-0 teams meeting in Week Three in Provo couldn't be better.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:45 p.m.

If BYU's offense comes to play it will be a good game. Texas has a much better pass game than Ole Miss and I think we will see some mistakes from the secondary, but we should be able to stop the run pretty effectively.

I think that one of the biggest reasons Jake struggled last week was the early blind-side sack. It threw off his timing and confidence. I think we need to do that to GG early in the game on Saturday. If he is shaky we will probably see some interceptions to counteract some possible big-plays in the pass game.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:51 p.m.

I think both BYU and Utah will struggle offensively this weekend against much better competition, and I think both will head into rivalry week (feels really weird to say that just two weeks into the season) with a 1-1 record, setting the stage for what should be a very intense and probably low scoring game down in Provo.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 7, 2011 5:58 p.m.

" I could even see an alliance of independent teams with Notre Dame, BYU and Texas working in a cooperative rather than a conference."

I really like this idea. Throw in USC and Oklahoma and you have some serious leverage against the BCS's. You could eventually form your own conference of teams with their own networks.

• QBU OREM, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:44 p.m.

@ Chris B
    1st of all, the fact that you think Utah can score 32 points on the road vs. USC is hilarious. Did you not watch your offense against an FCS school last week?
    2nd of all, if you predict BYU to win ANY game this year, post your address and I will send you a dollar. Im serious

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:46 p.m.

I like BYU's chances in this game, but I am cautiously optimistic. I think BYU will play the run solidly the rest of the season, including against Texas. BYU can and should win the battle at the line of scrimmage on offense and defense, which will generally mean that we should win. However, I am a little concerned for pass protection. I think the offensive game plan should be to run to set up the pass. Whether Texas decides to play the run or play one-on-one coverage, there will be something there that the offense can take away from the defense on every play. A lot will ride on the right execution and play calling of Brandon Doman for us to take what the defense will give on a particular play.

On defense, I'm very confident in our ability to stop the run, especially with our front three and our outside backers. Our front three will win the battle in the middle and our outside backers will contain the edges very well. I do have a bit of concern with our secondary being tested more this week. I say BYU 28, Texas 17 if we execute well.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Too much of an unknown for both teams. It will either be 7-6 (either team wins) or 31-10 BYU. If BYU can take the croud out of the game early, look for them to win big!

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:07 p.m.

Chris B...

Thanks for the win again!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:34 p.m.

BYU has proven they can play with the big boys, their record against the big 12 indicated that, but until Heaps shows he can be consistent I'll be a little concerned. The D looked good last week, they just have to show they can come out and play tough like that every week and not have a Florida State type game. If Heaps has a good game, I see BYU winning, if he struggles, and we can't score more than 20 pts, it will be hard to beat Texas.
    I think Heaps can be as good or better than any QB we've had but he not even close yet, he still has alot of learning and growing to do.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Oh my gosh these comments from BYU fans. You guys squeezed out a victory not rolled! against a bad SEC team with a backup qb. Now you guys think you can beat anybody! Yeah I understand It would be more credible if you beat an Arkansas or Sout Carolina but c'mon guys get real. Show some class remember you haven't been to a BCS bowl before.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 7, 2011 10:52 p.m.

runaway utes 3
    usc 65

mark it down

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2011 11:11 p.m.

crowntown1

Your invitation to "show some class," is noted, and laughed at. Coming from you, I'm sorry, it's just ironic.

A few more games will tell just how good or bad Ole Miss is, same for BYU.

Besides BYU -vs- UT, the big match-up of interest is USC -vs- Utah. Someone will be exposed as a pretender. Who knows, maybe they both will be.

I really am pulling for Utah, unless of course they pull another pre-game warm up, tough guys in your face routine.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:03 a.m.

"remember you haven't been to a BCS bowl before"

and U haven't won a national championship

call us when you've actually been to the summit, and not just to the highest base camp

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:16 a.m.

BYU offense always struggles in the first game. They should play much better. Texas doesn't see many offense like BYU. Texas should underestimate B.Y.U. BYU defense should dominate the Texas offense. BYU 27-13

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 6:33 a.m.

If the Cougars can go get Gilbert, they can do this. He (qb)is the weak spot in their offense. If the ball gets into the hands of UT's receivers, their athleticism will be a challenge for our defense. Offensively BYU has to get its act together--I think it will take a balanced attack and I'm not sure we can pass against UT's corners--again, their athleticism is superior. When Texas plays anyone except BYU, I am a Longhorn, but I'd sure like the Cougars to win this one.
    I challenge the folks in blue to have class no matter the outcome---Austin folks are suffering terribly from wildfires right now and it would be gracious for the BYU folks to make a donation to help those firefighters.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 7:01 a.m.

Heaps had poor timing last week because of the snaps from center - the ball looked like a floating marshmallow nearly every time, and was very slow getting into Heaps' hands. Please fix this problem before Saturday.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2011 7:43 a.m.

crowntown1

Did you like your smack down from everyone else?

By the way, what do you expect BYU fans to say?

"yeah were marginal, we should bow down to the utes and pay homage to their 2 BCS wins." What? Why?

Do you even understand what being a fan means? You root for your team. Not troll for a fight on another teams comment board.

Of course we are going to be positive. Of course we are going to say we can beat anyone. It is what being a fan is.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Reading of all the trick plays Texas has up their sleeve in past articles had me worried, but this article is encouraging towards BYU. I think BYU will dominate the #424 team in the country and vault themselves into the top 25 themselves prior to the big Utah game. A victory on Saturday this week will make a week three victory next week even that much funner.

• Lax'n the Rockies Highlands Ranch, CO
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:37 a.m.

BYU wins if:

They can effectively run consistently for 3 or 4 yards between the tackles and complete passes in the flats on isolated corners or to the TE coming free of the OLB who cheats to stop the running up the middle. And...

The defense can keep the Texas backs contained from breaking a few big plays off tackle... They must contain the speed of the backs.

Should be a physically brutal game in trenches... and low scoring unless Texas can consistently run off tackle and their backs get free into the second and third levels of the Y's defense.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Article quote: "This team (BYU) may not be equal to the great BYU teams of past....."

That should be posted on the Cougars' locker room door.

How much more motivation do you need?

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 9:16 a.m.

BYU will need to score in the 30 point range to beat UT. Any less than 30, and unfortunately BYU will lose.

• Axe-man OREM, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Regarding BCS games

To Utah fans (slash Y-haters):

BCS rules have relaxed over time. In 1996-97, #5 BYU should have gotten into a Bowl Alliance bowl (BCS predecessor), but was denied and played #14 rather than a top 10 team. If BCS rules (AQ Rule 3 A and B) had existed the last few decades, BYU would have been in a BCS game in 1979 (January 1980), 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1990, 1996, & 2001 based on polls and AQ conference leaders (combining Big8/ Southwestern results, and counting current Big East members' final polling as independents).

BYU fans:

If BCS rules had existed since 1979, BYU wouldn't have been voted #1 in 1984 by national voters in both polls. Noting the "haves/have-nots" discussion, BYU might have beaten Washington, Oklahoma, Florida, or Nebraska (#2-5), but I doubt today's voters would have let BYU into a title game against one of those teams. However, under contemporary rules, and based on voters' opinions with up-to-date information (not 30-year-old uninformed opinion), BYU was voted #1 in both polls (correctly, I believe).

Utah's BCS games are due to BYU's 30 years of groundbreaking.

You're welcome.

• 1Infidel APO, AE
    Sept. 8, 2011 9:28 a.m.

byu 24 texas 16

usc 27 utah 10

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    Sept. 8, 2011 10:18 a.m.

USC won't touch Utah
    Byu will roll Texas

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Tx's strength is their receivers. Unfortunatley for them, their weakness is their QB.

BYU's D will be all over him and hopefully make the receivers a non-issue.

Jake and the offense will be better. Probably get in the endzone twice with a couple of FG's.

BYU 20
    Tx 10

• Quayle Dallas, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 11:10 a.m.

UT stadium shouldn't and won't be any more intimidating that was Cowboys Stadium with 65,000 Oklahoma fans, and only 20,000 BYU fans.

It was essentially an Oklahoma home game.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 11:10 a.m.

ChrisB as usual wrong. You got the scores backwards for both BYU and Utah. I do hope Utah does pull off an upset. Keep up your prognistications, it helps start my day with a good laugh.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Crowntown, don't read so much into the comments. I went back and reread the comments previous to yours and I think your exaggerating a great deal. Get real and come back down to earth. I never saw your Utes bulldoze Montana. Be worried about your team and let us worry about our team. Don't read between the lines what is not there.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 3:51 p.m.

@crowntown1

Quit being such a drama queen! All the posts before yours that were from BYU fans were cautiously optimistic, but nobody predicted an easy win for BYU. Some, like yours truly, even predicted a loss. What are you getting so worked up about?

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Axe man, while I agree with your post, I'd like to point out that the 83 cougars finished the season with 11-12 straight wins after losing to baylor in week one,(or two, I don't remember) The winning streak has swayed many preseason voters now days. BYU could easily have been #1 or #2 at the end of the season in 84 because of the late loses by several of the others near the top. With all of the talk about Boise starting the season so high and if everyone else loses at least one game I could easily see undefeated Boise at #1 or #2 in the BCS poll. Just my opinion.

• QBU OREM, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:23 p.m.

In order to win this week, we only need to make a few improvements...

1. We moved the ball fine against Ole Miss, but the offense needs to avoid mistakes in the red zone, when you get inside the 20 against a team like Texas, you have to score

2. Special teams needs to play better. We cant have an 11 yard punt, and we cant allow a big return.

3. We have to avoid giving up a TD on a trick play. Our defense will outplay their offense, our LB's and DL will get to the QB, but we have to avoid being too agressive. We have to remember assignments and not get caught up in the moment.

Look for our beastly front 7 to rock Gilbert early and for him to pull a Jay Cutler

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 6:30 p.m.

BYU should roll Texas. Texas is not much improved from last year, and they were terrible. Losses to a really bad ucla and even worse iowa state last year. The QB is horrible. if Texas can't run, they are doomed.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 9, 2011 6:35 a.m.

BYU 6095

Texas - 3

I don't care what the score is, just find a way to win.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    Sept. 9, 2011 9:09 a.m.

My daughter follows Jimmer Freddette on Twitter and she says Jimmer is in Austin for the game. This is a big game all around and would be a great win if the Cougars can get the offense humming.

If I could script the game I'd have Ross Apo with a breakout game of over 180 yards and three touchdowns. Heaps with 400+ yards and Van Noy causing another fumble for a defensive touchdown.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 1:17 p.m.

I'm worried about Jake Heaps, as he may have too much of a self-imposed load in his backpack...need to stop worrying about the headlines and just flat out play the game.