Faith

Where were you on 9/11?

Comments

• friedeggonAZstreets Glendale, AZ
    Sept. 5, 2011 7:43 a.m.

At home in the shower getting ready for work.

• Kelley Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 7:59 a.m.

I was on the way to work, listening to the radio when I heard it. I burst into tears, my heart twisted in pain for all those people. I pulled off the side of the road for a minute and cried, then, still crying, continued on my way to work. It was then that the last verse of the National Anthem came into my head. I had never tried to memorize it, yet I knew it. With that came the knowledge that my then 14 year old son would put on a uniform and serve his country. I kept that knowledge to myself, not wanting to influence his choice. (He joined the military shortly after his 19th birthday and is in uniform today.)

O thus be it ever when free-men shall stand
    Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation;
    Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
    Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: In God is our trust!

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:26 a.m.

Watching it on TV at home, and thinking this. There is little in the Islamic society that would encourage the rest of the world to believe they are peaceful. In most places they refuse to assimilate to any extent, instead living in conclaves and mostly closed communities and many of their mosques are used to preach hate against Israel and America and recruit jihadists. A Muslim speaking publicly against the violence of Islam is an anomaly. The United States is fighting on three fronts as I write this piece, all against Muslim forces. There are continuous attempts to kill Americans in public places with explosive devices, all set by Muslims. There are ships being captured and people being killed off the coast of Africa all by Muslim pirates. There are rockets being lobbed into Israel into neighborhoods of family people, all being done by Muslims. There have been videotaped beheadings; terrorist attacks around the world, kidnappings and torture all done in the name of Islam. If this is not true Islam, then it seem to me that the Muslims who practice true Islam should separate themselves from the hijackers. Islam "IS NOT" a peaceful religion.

That's my view.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:51 a.m.

I was flying to work that day. It is something I will never forget.

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Getting ready for work. I was a school teacher. It was very hard to teach that day. I wanted to shelter my 9 and 10 year old students. Did my best to reassure them that they were safe during the next few days. Some worried that an airplane would crash into our school. Scary times.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I was at work. It was shortly after 6 AM. We were working on a special project, I had gone in early. As people started arriving, they were talking about an airplane crashed into the World Trade Center. I thought it was a small, private, inexperienced pilot who made a mistake.

Then as the day progressed, the horror stories started coming in. I was desperately trying to get any news on my computer, but couldn't get through. I did get bits and pieces of the burning buildings and audio, especially when the announcer said: "Ladies and gentlemen, the World Trades Center is no more"

I couldn't stop crying, and because I was working in a federal installation, the whole place was put on lockdown. Finally, someone got hold of a TV set and we watched the unfolding events. I worked close to the ocean, and saw battleships patrolling the area and the military was on full alert.

It was a horrible, unimaginable day. The United States of America was under attack and I knew that our lifestyle would never be the same.

We must never forget that horrible day and never let it happen again

• Peruano80 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 9:46 a.m.

My wife and I were just married, living in some student apartments in Provo during my junior year at BYU. I remember getting a phone call from a buddy in Idaho telling me to turn on Fox News. By the time I had turned on the TV, the first plane had already hit the first tower. Everything else we saw was live and to this day, remains the most disturbing live footage of events I've ever seen. Campus was crazy that day. A lot of students in tears. Classes only consisted of professors briefing us on the situation, watching the news and allowing the students to talk about what was going on. I think most of us stayed glued to our TV sets watching the news for the next several weeks. I remember telling my wife that this would be a new part of world history and that our children would study it in school and that it would be known as one of the biggest travesties our nation has ever faced. Who would've known that as a result of 9-11, we'd still have soldiers in the middle east, even today?

• DonP Sainte Genevieve, MO
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:10 a.m.

I was doing the news on a local radio station. We generally do not do national news events, because we are strictly local and it's a one man operation. That morning, as usual, I had one of the national networks on TV with the sound down and went with the story based on what I saw on television. Just before 9 am local time I watched the first tower go down and even though it took awhile for the network guys to realize what had happened, since the view was obstructed by the other tower, I knew exactly what had happened and had to report the development live on the radio station. Later that morning my wife and I went to our oldest grandson's school to have lunch with him for "Grandparents' Day". The third graders had not been told of the event and the adults didn't say a word about it during the meal. It was very surreal. That afternoon I was at our city hall and watched long lines of motorists buying gas at the station across the street. I had the sense that life in this country was going to change dramatically.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, Texas
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:39 a.m.

I was at work in a small law office in Center (Shelby County) Texas. One of my colleagues told me that a jet had hit one of the towers. We all went into the conference room and watched the television. We saw the second jet hit the other tower.

We did not accomplish much the rest of the day. When work was over, Sister McLendon and I donated blood.

I am a US Navy veteran. I was 48 at the time. I wrote a letter to the local Navy recruiter describing myself and offering my services.

• easternobserver Denton, MD
    Sept. 5, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Sitting in a dental chair having a crown cemented in... Heard somebody come into the front office telling the receptionist in a panicked voice to turn on the radio, which came over the muzak speakers into the treatment rooms. Will always have the image of the dentist's eyes getting huge above his mask as his eyebrows went higher and higher and his brow began to sweat.
    The following Sunday, we had the Primary lead the congregation in singing and "My Country's Flag." and "Gordon B. Hinckley: Constant as the North Star." It was an awesome, healing moment and so good for the children to see that they really could do something to help the adults by sharing these messages of patriotism and hope.
    Another image that stands out is Dan Rather on the first Letterman show after the attacks. The usually stone-faced Rather choked up as he pointed out that the verse if America the Beautiful that says, "Thine alabaster cities gleam, undimmed by human tears" can never be sung with the same meaning again.

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Sept. 5, 2011 11:21 a.m.

My husband and I had been following the Mormon Pioneer trail from Nauvoo. We were tracing the steps of my ancestors who had been driven from Nauvoo. We are at Independence Rock in "Wyoming" and had not had the car radio on, however, when my husband asked someone why they were so sad, they told us what had happened, and we then turned on our radio and listened as we drove. As we visited Martin's Cove, our thoughts were no longer with my ancestors, but with the many people who had lost their lives, that day in New York City.

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 11:56 a.m.

I was in the Boston Temple as I was driving there I saw a plane leaving Logan Airport and had a bad feeling. I didn't learn of what happened until 4:30 that afternoon when the people we were going to get a ride home from arrived. At that time the temple was expecting people not to come - well they came and the temple was very busy. When we got home a little after eleven that night the first thing we did was turn on the tv and saw the video of the terrors of the day. I was sad and ticked. It's hard to believe that people can be so mean and evil. But what I can't understand is why there was a camera already set up to capture both planes going into the towers? I can see capturing the second on tape but not the first.

I should also note that the sunset the night before looked "evil" - not normal for the northeast. Even then I had a feeling that there was something bad about to happen.

• bjdoc Vilnius, Lithiuania
    Sept. 5, 2011 12:01 p.m.

I was alone in the Honduran Rain Forest, with the sweet people I was serving as a volunteer Medical Doctor. I heard nothing of it during the day. At night fall, some children lead me to the only home that had a short wave radio, and there received almost no details.
    Over the next few days, bits and pieces of information filter in thru this one man and his short way radio, as I was preparing to leave for the US.
    One friend thru and interpreter begged me to stay with them where I would be safe. Please stay with us, since we have nothing the muslims would want to bomb.
    I that time I understood the safety of isolation.

• djk blue springs, MO
    Sept. 5, 2011 12:17 p.m.

I was watching the morning news show Good Morning America. then they quickly showed the first tower...my heart ached, i cried aloud...then BOOMMMMMM went the next jet into the south tower. i screamed so loud my husband came running into the living room. we cried for those whom were on the flight and the towers. we listened and watched....could not take our eyes off the screen could not hear enough about the situation. i called a friend who has a sister that lives about 10 blocks from the towers. she didn't know so she called her sister...her sister saw the second jet hit and felt the pressure. after watching the news and hearing about the pentagon and the brave passengers of the jet that went down in a field my eternal sweet heart and i had prayer...praying for all involved. my heart still aches. this week is a week of remembering the brave !

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 5, 2011 12:54 p.m.

I was in the air on the way to indonesia, and only found out what had happened when I arrived at my hotel just past midnight my time. My experience was completely and totally different than 98 percent of most Americans. I was stuck over in the region for a week while flights waited to resume. On my return flight, I flew first class where the lady working that section was personal friends with crew of one of the United flights. Upon returning home, I learned one of my buddies who worked with my at Oracle at the time lost his life in the United flight that crashed in PA.... and that his voice was the one on all those phone recordings later played back.

It was deeply personal because of the people I knew and lost, and yet different because of the deep caring and hospitality of the muslim community that hosted my while I was stranded in their part of the world.

• ddthom NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 1:26 p.m.

I was at work that day. I was planning what I was going to do that night seeing that 9-11 is my birthday. I took it hard, but realized that I cannot let those people ruin what is good to me. I was not going to let them win by terrorizing me to not appreciate my birthday. I sorrow and shed tears each year for those who died needlessly and for those who died serving their fellow men. May God continue to bless and care for those families and the United States.

• my slc Newport Beach, CA
    Sept. 5, 2011 3:28 p.m.

I was in still in living in SLC at the time and driving to work when they announced on the radio that a plane had struck one of the trade towers.

When I got to work the news was on in the conference room, by noon we knew of both towers falling.

It was a surreal day, phones not ringing at work, the internet impossible to connect. There were lots of tears during the day. Downtown SLC that night was empty and still. I remember driving up Main by the Conference Center to get home. There was nobody on the streets. The sky was a beautiful clear blue, but no planes out of the airport.

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 4:46 p.m.

I'll be glad when september 12 gets here just like any other disaster I can only listen to so much of it. example Hurricane Katrina after awhile I got tired of seeing it on T.V and Im already getting tired of hearing 9/11 its the same thing over and over and over

• Marilyn Wouden MIDVALE, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Where was I on 9/11? Is a very heart felt experience. I had just returned from the care center where my mother passed away. She was always early for appointments. She died at 2am. I felt she passed away then before their was a crowd. She also liked to help others in need. So she left this life to help those behind her.
    That morning before the tragedy I had also just called my son on a mission in Switzerland and a daughter on a mission in Ireland to tell them their grandmother had died.
    I couldn't go back to sleep. So I got ready to go to work for a training, when it was announced an aircraft had exploded into the World Trade Center. I was numbed my mother's passing and then the tragedy. I went to the training, so numb. I thought it was all a dream. But it was real. I will never forget where I was on this horrible day.

• Nanakat SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 5:43 p.m.

I sat down to watch after the first plane crashed, and knew when the second one crashed that it was not an accident. I listened on a portable radio as I went for my morning walk to the fall of the towers and the crash into the Pentagon, passing cars whose drivers met my eyes and mirrored the horror I felt. And when I heard of the plane that crashed in PA, I knew those people had given their lives to thwart the terrorists' goal with that plane.

I kept thinking of how those who were murdered were welcomed by God and His angels into heaven, and how the heavens wept over the men who had done this terrible thing to their fellow humans. What a terrible thing it is when people think they can justify evil by claiming that God wanted it done.

I suspect the terrorists were very surprised when they found out what was really waiting for them after they died.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:08 p.m.

I was getting the in-home day care ready when a story came on about the 2nd Amendment. I phoned in a comment just before 6:30AM. Fifteen minutes later was the first report of a plane hitting one of the towers and I turned on the TV. When I saw the clear blue sky the possibility of an attack lept to the top possibilities. I woke up my daughter but she (hopefully was too tired to think) wasn't bothered and didn't want to be bothered by it. The radio reporter was talking to someone when suddenly another plane went into the second tower. I was in another room with a broom and got back to the TV to see red flames in a blue sky.
    Rememeber the Nephites. We should not just seek revenge. We should seek peace and security. Also when I think of what is said about Islam I remember Johnson's Army.
    That being said I am not thinking we should ALLOW bad to happen. There is a point, a bloody red point between allowing blood to be spilt and excessively spilling it. I can't think of any way to express the concept more nicely.

• holderd Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:35 p.m.

I had just been released from the hospital and was lying on the couch resting when my son called me and told me to turn the TV on. I was shocked at what I saw. Since I was recuperating so I was able to watch all that was going on all day, the horrible scenes, the chaos. It's a day that I'll never forget.

• rachp SALT LAKE CITY, ut
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:52 p.m.

My friend and I had gone for a run and we came back and left for class. There was an eerie feeling as we walked through campus to class, just to see a class cancelled sign on the door. We made our way to the student union and just stared at the TV in utter shock at what had happened.

When I arrived at work, I was given explicit instructions to not speak to the kids about the events. They had so many questions and concerns and the only answer I could give them, was talk to your parents when you go home. We spent the day reassuring our young kids that everything would be ok.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 9:47 p.m.

On September 11, 2001, I was in upstate New York, having been in Manhattan two days earlier. As the events unfolded, I could only listen to the radio as I drove from Rochester to Syracuse. Along the way, I stopped at the Joseph Smith farm in Palmyra and visited the Sacred Grove. It was a sacred place to be on that day. So, can anyone please explain to my why the Deseret News censor rejected my earlier post, in which I simply said, "in the Sacred Grove." Please tell me why that comment was considered inappropriate by the DNews censor. It was the truth. A response from the DNews would be appreciated.

• Kadin BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:16 p.m.

I remember sleeping in my bedroom with the television blaring loud. My sister was busy doing the laundry at the time. I asked why the television was on so loud. She told me that an airplane had just crashed in the first World Trade Center. I was thinking it was not such a big deal until I looked at it on the television and realized of how much real it was. That it was scary that this type of thing was to happen.

The night before I went to the library to read a book and happens that I read a book about bullies. That bully starts out small with asking for lunch money from another kid and then from there it escalates to countries fighting other countries. Little did I realize this was going to happen the next day.

• jkeyes87 BLOOMFIELD, CT
    Sept. 6, 2011 6:12 a.m.

At the time, I was a 13 year old freshman in high school. It was only the second week of school and I was still trying to get used to everything. I was sitting in history class when the principal came over the loudspeaker to announce that a plane had crashed into the WTC. You could feel the whole school go silent. Between classes, hardly anyone said a word. But you could hear and see the tears coming from several individuals, both student and teacher alike.

Next was English class, but that too got inturrupted by the principal over the loudspeaker. I remember closing my eyes and thinking "no, not again". You could see the fear in everyone's eyes. That day every TV in the school was turned to the news stations. We gathered anywhere we could; the cafeteria, the library, the gym.

I was watching from the library when the towers collapsed. I could feel my whole body shake as I prayed for my friends' families. The student council quickly organized a candlelight vigil for later that week. Never before, or since, have I seen my friends, my acquaintances, and my enemies come together and push our differences aside.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 9:13 a.m.

I had flown into San Antonio on a business trip on the 10th. When I came into the hotel lobby the morning of the 11th the TV was showing the buildings on fire. It took a few minutes to learn what had happened and I remember a feeling of dis-belief and thinking "how could this have happened with all the security pre-cautions in place". I was stuck in San Antonio until Friday evening when I caught the 3rd flight out of that airport.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2011 9:23 p.m.

@USA ...probably because just saying "in the Sacred Grove" sounded made up, or smart alecky, who knows. But now that you reposted with a more complete and believable explanation, voila, no rejection. No biggie.

I was a truck driver at the time, delivering foodservice locally. Between deliveries, I stopped in at the western ware shop to check on some shoes that I had dropped off for repair. There was only the manager and one other customer glued to the small TV set up above near the cash register area. I stayed beyond the second tower being hit and then the towers collapsing. Needless to say, I became way behind on the rest of my deliveries, but nobody really cared. Our whole town was in a daze.

The event also put a damper on my day because my #2 son's fourth birthday was that day. We did our best to put on a happy face. He will 14 next week of course, and is somewhere between embarrassed and proud that 9/11 is his birthday. Even at age four he had "army boy" leanings. I wonder if he still feels that way and will serve...

• JNA Layton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:12 a.m.

We were living in California at the time and one of my daughters friends called my cell phone and told me to hurry and turn the TV on. I turned on Good Morning America and in less than 10 seconds I saw the 2nd plane hit the south tower. It was surreal.

• ViDu PAYSON, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:26 p.m.

I had just gotten my kids out the door for school and was in the bathroom when I overheard the news-broadcast on the bedroom television. I thought I couldn't be hearing it right... I waddled to the bed and heaved my very pregnant belly onto the bed in front of the TV. It was total chaos. The news casters didn't seem to know what was going on and were speculating. I was in complete confusion until the second plane was seen and smashed into the side of the second tower. I was horrified as the people ran screaming past the cameras covered in debris. I kept wondering how this could have possibly happened? Who could do such a thing and why?

I suddenly stopped and looked down at my belly, stroked my baby gently and thought "what kind of world are you coming to?" I worried for all my children, my husband and wished we could be together.

Baby Rachel was born just two weeks later. 9/11/2001 is certainly a day I will never forget as long as I live.

• Andy Horlacher Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:00 p.m.

I was on the computer trying to see what the Stock Market was doing that Tuesday and see if it would have been better if I had waited one more day to liquidate 100% of my stocks (which I did the day before) for about $72k (loss of about $3k).

The Friday before, I was trying to sell some of my stocks so I could have funds to purchase others at a good price. Well, all my stocks (as most stocks did that day), just kept going down, down, down, for no apparent reason! Finally, at market close time, I sat there wondering what was causing this bear market and what I should do, I felt the words "Sell everything, things will get a lot worse before they get any better". The feeling was overwhelming and I knew what I had to do next Monday, even if I had to take a substantial loss. I immediately related this experience with my wife and she totally agreed, so on Monday, I had a definate goal to accomplish. In the morning, I attempted to find a peak, but none could be found - Market Sell orders until all was gone by 11:30EDT.