Faith

Mormon convert takes interrogation skills to national audience in 'Take the Money and Run'

Comments

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 15, 2011 9:07 a.m.

This is a fascinating story. We've don't have television but I'm tempted the wrangle an invitation to watch on someone else's screen some Tuesday evening.

• Nanook of the North Camarillo, CA
    Aug. 15, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I met Paul and Dell when we moved to Camarillo 3 years ago, 'cause we're in their family ward. They're wonderful people, Paul is a really great guy, and I love the show so far! Definitely check it out!

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 2:30 p.m.

From the article,

"the people Bishop, a member of the LDS Church, is interrogating are only guilty of hiding a case of $100,000."

"is interrogating are only"? Either this is a typo, bad grammar, or I simply am having an 'off moment'. Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks in advance.

• Axe-man OREM, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 3:45 p.m.

@Voice of Reason,

"The people ... are only guilty of..." The appositive describing the people, i.e. the people that he is interrogating, is a break in the sentence just like "a member of the LDS Church." Start with "the people are only guilty of hiding." Add a "that" if it helps to understand: "the people [THAT Bishop is interrogating] are only guilty of hiding." Finally, the last appositive: "the people that Bishop, a member of the LDS Church, is interrogating are only guilty of hiding."

That help?

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Axe-man:

I reread the sentence after that with perfect clarity. I guess this one simply didn't compute. Thanks!

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 15, 2011 4:27 p.m.

I wish there were more discussions of grammar in the comments for articles. A discussion about grammar is more relaxing than wrangling over religion and politics. I like your way of explaining, Axe-man.

• Nayajja Ephraim, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 5:49 p.m.

It wasn't your reading ability; the sentence was convoluted. Interesting article, though!