Faith

Modesty, frugality is important to Miss New York City

Comments

• Richard Allan Jenni Ocean City, NJ
    Aug. 12, 2011 7:49 a.m.

The Big Apple's unconditional approval? What higher worldly honor could there be? And to simultaneously have your Heavenly Father's approval? You're tops, kid. RAJ

• Lbone Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:09 a.m.

Wow. I'm impressed. If there is anything virtuous or lovely...

Good luck to this young lady.

• Maryquilter Farmington, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Bless you for not compromising your standards.

• GoldieZ Eureka, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:33 a.m.

If there is anything, (Miss New York City) virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy.....

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Good Choices provide the opportunity for Good Outcomes. Staying true to yourself and keeping the standards you believe in will inspire others to do the same. Your example to be in the world but not of the world is wonderful, and your inner beauty and essence shine through as you seek after worthwhile goals.

• BYUte06 Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Thank you for representing what so many of us strive to do, and be everday. Obviously your love for the gospel and the Lord shows through in everything you do. Wish you all the best and again, appreciate you sticking to your convictions despite the pressures of the world. We need more examples of people like this, not the edgy pop culture icons. Ultimately happiness depends on following these principles and not the successes of the world.

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:18 a.m.

good for her. stand for who you are and your beleifs

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:43 a.m.

'"If I'd won (Miss New York) there would have been no wedding this weekend," Wright said. "As it is, I'm actually in Utah and being married." - Article

This is great.

But I thought we were NOT supposed to make an issue of a person's faith if they are Mormon?

*'President Obama's purported 'weird'-Mormon strategy against Mitt Romney will backfire, pundits say' - By Hal Boyd, Deseret News - 08/10/11

Obama DOSEN'T call Romney's faith weird, and he gets flack for it.

This woman makes a proclamation about it, and it's 'great.'

Which is it?

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Pagan....It would be foolish for Obama to attack Mitt's religion given his own Rev Wright religious experience......This article is about a girl from Utah with Utah roots.....With the majority of the state being Mormon it is noteworthy that she is also Mormon.......I wonder if she were gay, would you still have the same opinion!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:11 a.m.

'It would be foolish for Obama to attack Mitt's religion given his own Rev Wright religious experience...' - TRUTH | 9:52 a.m. Aug. 12, 2011

Please. People were attacking Obama for things he NEVER did before he DIDN'T mention Romney's faith.

Example:

*'GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email' - By GILLIAN FLACCUS - AP - 04/19/11

'Calif. woman sends 'birther' message with photo of president's face on chimpanzee's body'

I was simply pointing out the obvious bias that some have when people bring up Mormonism, but then Mormons, like this girl, do it themselves.

If this woman was a lesbian, it wouldn't affect me as she is married and I shouldn't have any romantic interest in her now that she's married anyway.

Of course, since YOU brought up the scenerio if she was a lesbian...

and I, didn't.

Funny that.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:16 a.m.

The other contestants with their rehersed canned responses provided an arena where this Miss NYC was a breath of fresh air, she spoke her mind and came across as not saying what ever it took to win, but what she believed, and this is why she won. She truthfully stood for SOMETHING.

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:19 a.m.

New York City does have taste!

• inmyopinion88 WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Thank you for being a good example for our young women! You can pursue your dreams while staying true to your values and beliefs!

• auntbea PROVO, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:30 a.m.

"let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good work and glorify your father in heaven."
    @pagan: i know this young woman very well, and she has made no "proclamations". she has only quietly gone about her life expressing her beliefs to those that ask. her example of what an LDS woman believes in has always been manifest in her words, actions and deeds. She is a credit to her family, her community , and her LDS faith.
    I've seen your comments in the past, they always seem to be antagonistic towards the LDS church and anything associated with it. If you have such a problem with the church, than perhaps you should just address your ire towards the church directly and just write THEM letters. taking pot-shots at this girl is LAME.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:59 a.m.

'If you have such a problem with the church, than perhaps you should just address your ire towards the church directly and just write THEM letters.' - auntbea | 10:30 a.m. Aug. 12, 2011

I thought I was.

It's members.

It you don't want contention, only interact with people who agree with you.

• Reader Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 11:25 a.m.

I think every one of the young women who competed in our last Miss Utah pageant could have learned something from her - you don't need to wear bikinis and immodest, expensive evening gowns.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Regardless of ones faith, belief, etc., you've gotta respect this
    contestant. I particularly liked her statement, "When you stick to who you are, people) notice you more." What a good example .... for all! Enough said. Some of the other reader's posts might be digging much deeper than necessary.

• katiefrankie Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:52 p.m.

Hmmm, for someone who is so against bigotry and blindly dismissing individuals because of labels attached to them, I am surprised that Pagan is so eager to write this girl off with his bizarro news-clip attacks. I thought she was lovely and her accomplishments were impressive. I don't know her personally, but her actions were commendable.

By the way, it is "its," not "it's." Its refers to a possessive article, whereas it's is a contraction of "it is." That helps clarify who you are dismissing out of hand, even though you neither know them nor understand their motives. At first I was confused....

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:56 p.m.

'By the way, it is "its," not "it's." Its refers to a possessive article, whereas it's is a contraction of "it is." That helps clarify who you are dismissing out of hand, even though you neither know them nor understand their motives.' - katiefrankie | 12:52 p.m. Aug. 12, 2011

So...my opinion is tainted because, I didn't use spell check?

Who is dismissing...

whom?

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Irony of the Day: A Mormon girl is Miss NYC!

• screenname Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 1:28 p.m.

No Pagan, your opinion is misunderstood because of your grammar. Spellcheck wouldn't catch it, either. Also, you often (always) misuse...

ellipses.

• zer28 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 1:45 p.m.

Pagan, is there any real reason that you're commenting in this forum other than to just get things off your chest? That's what friends are for...

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Aug. 12, 2011 2:06 p.m.

So...4 out of 20 comments are by Pagan?
    Please DN, put a limit on this guy!
    So good to see tolerance being promoted and practiced by Pagan.
    Do as I say and not as I do.
    Credibility? None.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Dear Mr. Pagan, please give it a rest, my friend. I would hope you could simply read an article for what it's worth. Must you go on your personal fishing expedition to reel in what you feel are pertinent aspects? By the vast majority of comments to this particular article, the comments don't come close to sharing your views. I don't see anything productive coming from what you're posting .... over, and over, and over again. Move on, my friend!

• screenname Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Methinks Irony Guy needs to change his monikor, as he doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the word "irony." I bet you wrote the lyrics to that Alanis Morissette song, too.

• cymrul West Valley City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 3:10 p.m.

WHY is this story news? What does it matter? What religion is Miss Maine or Miss Alabama? To me this whole story is nothing more than LDS propoganda.

• Vernal Mom Vernal, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 4:41 p.m.

cymrul -- No one is forcing you to read this article, let alone the Faith section or Mormon Times! Jeez!

Dear Hannah -- You go girl! What an example you are to SO many young girls who are watching. Thank you.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 5:23 p.m.

'Local Mormon does good' story of the day.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Re: Vernal Mom | 4:41 p.m. Aug. 12, 2011

I'm with cymrul. It is propaganda.

I could say your post is nothing more the myopic rhetoric that unquestionably supports the status quo here in Zion but won't.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 6:00 p.m.

This is a great story where sticking to ones standards paid off. Hanah Wright showed a great amount of determination.Ken Nelson the judge who suggested she run for Miss NYC had great insight. I always like to see people be the best they can be.

• jans Pickerington, OH
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Propaganda? So were news stories about Mother Theresa propaganda for the Catholics? Ghandi? Or perhaps, could they just be stories about good people doing good things and being true to who they are and what they believe in, regardless of the faith they espouse?

I saw Hannah Wright in the Miss Springville pageants and thought she was a class act and a wonderful "intentional" role model.

• Amy's Mom OREM, UTAH
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:00 p.m.

Everyone who has read 'comments' more than 3 or 4 times knows what pagan is about. I suggest we just ignore him.

• KamiC SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:36 p.m.

Hannah is just as beautiful inside as out! I have known her since she ran for Miss Springville--she is kind, funny, and smart (as well as gorgeous). Very down to earth. Love her!

• friedeggonAZstreets Glendale, AZ
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:46 p.m.

Wow! This young lady has lots of determination. Good job to her parents for raising her to be a determined woman and to her for never giving up. I hope you can achieve your dreams in dance. Great example of how much a parent's good influence can do in a child's life. Propaganda? I don't know if it is or not, and really all this story is about is a young woman's determination and perseverance to pursue her dreams or whatever is put before her and she happens to be a Mormon.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Re: Pagan | 12:56 p.m. Aug. 12, 2011

So what is the issue you're trying to make regarding this story? I'm guess you are uncomfortable knowing that this young woman represents the principles taught by her church, that she has virtue, and that she is an example that others want to follow.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Yeah.....home schooling doesn't work......and it sure messes with a child's social skills.

• sushirocks8 SLC, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 3:31 p.m.

I applaud this young woman for maintaining her virtue and modesty as well as putting her education and marriage before things like a $2,000.00 gown. She is a great example. I am not usually a fan of beauty pageants because of the way they parade the girls around half-naked on stage but it is refreshing to see her stand her ground and choose to wear a one-piece as well as sleeves on her evening gown and she looks just as beautiful as the other contestants.

• Free Utah Sandy, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 7:37 p.m.

I am impressed with the kindness of writers on this comment board toward Pagan. An anonymous fight is obviously all he lives for, and it would be beyond cruel to just ignore him. So many people contend with him, though, thereby encouraging his attention-getting antics. I'm sure it makes him feel better and that is important. If he wasn't getting any attention he would finally give up. That would just be too bad. Wouldn't it?

• mytymouse09 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 11:19 p.m.

What a beautiful girl, inside and out. It is refreshing to hear that there are still young people in this mixed up world who actually have some morals. I admire, and thank you, for your courage and example.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Aug. 16, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Pagan - you must realize if you have any opinion other than the opinion shared by most commenters you will be attacked. Also, when they have nothing else to say they will start picking apart any mistakes in your grammar and or spelling and punctuation. Quite thought provoking of them to do that instead of just responding to your comment with something original. Wow, some people.