BYU football: Troy Hinds commits to BYU for every reason

Comments

• Jonas Denver, Colorado
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:30 p.m.

An article about BYU recruiting and specifically Bronco? "Release the hounds [or red-tailed hawks, or pirates, or whatever they are this week]!"

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Whatever the reasons, I love knowing it bothers so many "classy" utes.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:40 p.m.

This Hinds kid is very smart.

• ImaCaMan Redlands, CA
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:58 p.m.

He's LDS and feels comfortable going there. Good for him. This was no giant surprise.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:58 p.m.

"I obviously loved all the aspects about BYU," said the 6-foot-5, 225-pound prospect. "But if BYU didn't have those (unique) things about them, about things other than football, I still think I would have committed there because of their great football and what they offer me as a football player."

"I know that people say that I could have played in better defensive systems, and that I committed because of the other things besides football, but that isn't true at all. I love everything about how they play football there, and how Bronco coaches on defense"

"Every school had things that I loved about them, but none of them had as much to offer me as BYU did."

Need I say more? I can't wait for some football, and I can't wait to see this guy in a BYU uniform!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Hinds is trying to explain the intangible attraction of BYU. He did a pretty good job, but it is still opaque to the unknowing.

• BYU#1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Hinds is a great kid and he chose a great school. Rise Up!!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:09 p.m.

All of the charactaristics that Troy mentions he chose BYU for can be very polarizing. Kids love BYU for it or they know that it is not what they want. I think you will continue to see BYU recruiting improve because of this.
    I am really excited about Hinds as well as the upward trend I am seeing in BYU recruiting.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Re: ImaCaMan

Congratulations on failing to comprehend the point of the article. Do they even teach reading comprehension in schools anymore?

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:23 p.m.

I disagree with fellow Cougar fans who say that recent recruiting successes like Hinds and Mangum are due to their recent move to independence and their ESPN contract. Hinds and Mangum are both LDS who have plans to serve a mission after high school. The increased exposure afforded BYU because of the independence/ESPN deal helps counter the lure of playing for Utah in the Pac-12, but BYU is always going to have an advantage in recruiting LDS athletes, and this is certainly not the first time BYU has landed two highly recruited LDS athletes who had multiple offers from BCS programs. Their roster is currently loaded with such athletes who signed with BYU before the independence/ESPN announcement was made.

• Aces in the Hole West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:29 p.m.

So is Davis changing defenses this year? I thought they always were a 4-3 what did they change to?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Let's review the ute "fans" comments:

williary | 9:14 a.m. Aug. 8, 2011

"but clearly this decision was less about football than other things... yet when it comes to a final decision, football results just don't match up to other things...Read his statement. Very little about football, but other things that BYU offers kids."

Uh....wrong. LOL!

Thlete | 10:22 a.m. Aug. 8, 2011

" I just don't get what he sees in BYU with all the superior programs that were after him."

Well the rest of us "get" it. In the eyes of top football recruits those "superior programs" aren't "superior programs". That delusuion exists only in the mids of utah "fans".

bigutefan | 12:23 p.m. Aug. 8, 2011

"Now Utah won't have to worry and monitor him while he is on his mission, as we all know who goes behind the scenes and recruits while they are on their missions."

Uh....it doesn't appear that it was ever much of a possibility to begin with.

LOL!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Congrats to BYU for picking up Hinds. He will be a great OLB in Bronco's defense. I would have loved to see him play for Coach Whit at the U., but I'll enjoy watching him play at the Y instead. Good luck to him on his senior year and his mission.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:35 p.m.

giantfan | 4:17 p.m. Aug. 10, 2011
    Farmington, UT

Re: ImaCaMan

===

They do in the Redlands School District. Ima's probably a U grad studying medicine at Loma Linda...

Nailed it, didn't I....

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Nah, I'm sure his ecclesiastical leaders and the BYU coaches "manipulated" him by bringing religion into the discussion...

At least THEY ("fans" of another prominent Utah university) tell me...

• Byron Belka Holladay, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Congratulations Hinds on making this decision. There aren't a lot of NFL players that would make the priorities you have.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Great kid, great player. Good luck to him.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 5:04 p.m.

"I'm sure his ecclesiastical leaders and the BYU coaches "manipulated" him by bringing religion into the discussion"

Yea, how dare they? But its even worse than that! Not only is this young man being manipulated to play football for his church's university but he is also being brainwashed into spending two years of his life as a full time missionary. Of course we all know that is just a cover, and he is really going to be spending two years at some secret training facility run by the BYU football program.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 5:49 p.m.

I attended BYU for the same values that impressed Hinds. The focus on faith, family, education, friends and athletics made for a well rounded education. The value of my BYU experience accrues with each passing year.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 6:16 p.m.

The thing ute fans/BYU haters can't stand or comprehend is that statement made by Hinds, none of the other schools had as much to offer as BYU. It it pretty much that plain and simple. BYU has more to offer that is positive and benificial to the future of the kid, both football wise as well as overall. Just like Hinds said , even with football alone he would have picked BYU but when you add in all the other important aspects of life that BYU will have a positive influence on it became a no brainer. The BYU life is something no other school in the country comes close to offering and their football program is top notch too. Congratulations again Troy, you made a great choice (the best choice IMO).

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 10, 2011 7:32 p.m.

Great to see a young man who can reason and articulate so well. He makes no apologies.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 8:29 p.m.

This kid has class.. something that eludes a great many in this state. I wish I didn't have to wait so long to see him in a Cougar uniform.

• davisdarts Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 8:32 p.m.

I have watched him play for the last three years. Its not often you see one played double teamed and teams run to the opposite side has him. Respect for a great player.He looks great in brown and gold and will look the same in blue and white. Good luck Troy on your mission and at byu

• utah by5 York, PA
    Aug. 10, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Wow, I can't believe anyone would go to the UofU. Don't all the recruits that sign with the U know that BYU has so much more to offer. You know like five guaranteed wins a year against weak competition and one solid defeat every year at the hands of the UTES.

Go Utes! Heaps better work on his mobility because he is going to spend a lot of time running for his life on Sept. 17.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Congratulations Troy! Those are all great reasons to commit to BYU.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 8:59 p.m.

Hinds is an absolute stud!

Utah just isn't as good as BYU, on all levels.

Go Cougars!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Good luck to the young man. I think every kid needs to find the school that fits his standards, ideals, personality, etc.... even if he doesn't play for my Utes.

Now, I do have some nitpicking. "Coach Mendenhall is one of the best, maybe the best defensive mind in the country," said Hinds. I've got to disagree. The numbers don't bear that out. I think Troy was actually talking about another coach up the road in SLC, Coach Whit. The numbers do tell the tale about Coach Whit's abilities.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:35 p.m.

I can't wait til 2016 when he's on the field! Watch out here were come! Gooooooooo Cougars!! rarrrrr

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:49 p.m.

RBN,

I don't know man... Hinds is the top recruit coming out of Utah, I think he would know that Bronco is better than Kylie Willingham when it comes to defense.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Aug. 10, 2011 10:51 p.m.

Not a shock! He's from Utah and he's LDS and so BYU would be the obvious choice.

• zeba Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 11:16 p.m.

No doubt, Hinds has the physical skills to be great, he seems soft in the hard nosed, tough LB and mental aspect (compared to Poppinga or Morris)... Maybe that will change... in the 3+ years before he will be a Freshman.

Another interesting thing is that Bronco might be gone before Hinds ever joins the team... his extension is through 2013. Outside of Edwards and Mendenhall, BYU has not been good (Crowton had one good year with Edwards recruits).

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 2:12 a.m.

UgottaloveMaxie | 9:35 p.m. Aug. 10, 2011
    SLC, UT

If he would have committed to the U he would also be stepping onto the field in 2016.

Let me guess if he would have committed to the U. your post would have read:

I can't wait til 2016 when he's on the field! Watch out here (we) come! da da da da da Go Utes!

Give me a break.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 11, 2011 5:10 a.m.

Well perfect for Hinds, as he'll come off his mission, be able to find a wife in three months so he can enjoy what most other kids enjoy while attending college trying to figure out what they're going to do with the rest of their lives. No other school offers anything close to what BYU does. The choice was easy. And, because this fine athlete can be implemented into a defensive scheme orchestrated by Bronco, who IS probably the best defensive coordinator in all of football, college or the NFL in my opinion. I do find it very interesting that Bronco only signed a 3 year extension at BYU. He needs to be making decent $ in the NFL or for a school that will pay him what he is worth......a lot! The day that Bronco bails on BYU and isn't calling the defense.....Man O man BYU is doomed,

• Captain Sweatpants Hampstead, NC
    Aug. 11, 2011 6:01 a.m.

Coach Mendenhall has a very successful defensive system, but statistically Coach Whittingham has a better one.

Using yards per game and points per game as metrics for defense, since 2005 (when Bronco and Coach Whit took over as head coaches) Utah's defense was better in both categories in years 2005, 2008, 2009, and 2010. BYU's was better in both categories in 2006. BYU was better in yards per game in 2007, but Utah gave up fewer points in the same year.

Statistics indicate that Utah had the better defense in 4 of 5 seasons, and there was a "tie" in the sixth.

From what I've read, Hinds sounds like he will be a solid player. I wish he had decided to become a Ute, but I wish him good luck in his future.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 6:40 a.m.

zeba

"Outside of Edwards and Mendenhall, BYU has not been good"

Are you kidding?

Edwards was BYU's head coach from 1972 to 2000 and is in the National College Football Hall of Fame. Mendenhall has finished in the AP Top 25 four of his six years at BYU and has had winning records every year. Crowton, as you said had one good year, out of four.

So basically, BYU hasn't had good coaching for 3 of the last 40 years?

If Bronco is gone after 2013, that'll be Bronco's choice, which I doubt will happen. Even so, Doman is one of the rising stars in the coaching fraternity and will be ready to step in as BYU's next head coach.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 6:59 a.m.

Not a bad catch for your everyday non-AQ, non-money making, nationally irrelevant, independent, in your rear view mirror program.

Hardy ha ha, ho ho, he he, we got 'im, U didn't!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 7:49 a.m.

Dear zeba,

BYU offered Coach Mendenhall a longer contract. There's a story a few weeks ago about it. Go read it.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 11, 2011 8:45 a.m.

@ RBN, 9:33pm Aug 10, (& Captain Sweatpants' reply),

You eluded to the "fact" that Utah's defensive stats over the past several years are better than BYU's, using that to mean Kyle's the better defensive coach than Bronco.

Nice illusion, but totally innacurate. You compared apples to oranges.

First of all, until Hill was dumped in midseason last year, Bronco hasn't coached BYU's defense for years, so you can't compare BYU's defensive stats and Utah's and conclude Kyle is the better defensive coach than Bronco.

Secondly, in comparing Bronco's defensive stats from when he took over last year to Kyle's for the same final number of games, Bronco WAY outshines Kyle.

In fact, in the head-to-head meeting last year, most all stats were nearly identical, showing neither coach had the upper hand in defensive coaching ability, AND that was AT Utah's place, where there's supposed to be an advantage.

Even as close as the stats were, BYU had 19 first downs vs Utah's 14; BYU was 6 of 15 in third down conversions, while Utah was 4 of 15. Considering it was at the Utes' place, Bronco's advantage!

Nice try, RBN. But, no go.

• zeba Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 9:31 a.m.

TrueBlue,

Exactly, Edwards was a legend, and Bronco looks solid, but HE only agreed to an extension through 2013. Doman is a nice guy, but so was Crowton. Many times a player commits with the expectation that a certain, proven guy will be head coach. My point was that some coaches are on a different level than others, and even having the top talent does not change that... look at Notre Dame, recruiting classes close to the top nationally every year, but 1988 was their last championship, with the great coach, Lou Holtz.

• Snark Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Welcome to BYU Troy. The fact remains that you had a lot of other offers, from some of the top programs in the country, and you chose BYU. Notwithstanding the reasons, thank you for coming to Provo. When the dust kicked up by doubters has diminished and the last drop of juice is pressed from sour grapes, you will be playing for a great program, making it better and realizing all of the other important personal goals you have set for yourself. I will love to watch you play football for sure. We are very fortunate to have you.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 11:06 a.m.

utah by5 | 8:37 p.m. Aug. 10, 2011

"Wow, I can't believe anyone would go to the UofU. Don't all the recruits that sign with the U know that BYU has so much more to offer."

Obviously the top recruits are coming to that same conclusion. I'm sure more and more will figure it out as the years pass.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 12:13 p.m.

@ utes by5
    @ RPN

Hey, wait just a minute now! I am totally baffled as this type of four-star + stud player was never supposed to commit to lowly BYU since the TUN had joined a BCS AQ conference. Totally assumed that Hinds would cast his lot with the mighty PAC-10+2 Utes over the Cougars or Notre Dame or Nebraska.

No doubt that poor Troy must have been confused. ;o)

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 11, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Glad to have this player on board. It is funny, it seems people are asking him or trying to find a reason why he would commit (rivals of course, not fans). The fact that BYU has a great football program doesn't even come to their mind.

The truth has really got to be hard to swallow for some people.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 12:31 p.m.

WhatsInItForMe

Nice try? You want to use one head to head game as your evidence? You want to exclude the Jaime Hill years? Does we get to pick and choose which years not to include in defensive performance? Kyle is a defensive guru. Bronco is a good defensive coach and good motivator. Go ask everyone in your ward who they would prefer to have as a D Coordinator. If they are in the Bishop's office, I guarantee you that 80% of them would prefer Kyle over Bronco.

Tossing around silly comments like that just hurts the credibility of BYU fans.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 1:09 p.m.

One thing BYU can't offer is the chance to do a lot of missionary work among the other students on campus since everyone at BYU is already converted, right?

My son attends a singles ward that meets just off campus at the U of U. His bishop is Thomas Monson, Jr. My son reports that they have convert baptisms in that ward nearly every week.

But that evil, sinful Utah just can't measure up to BYU.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 1:24 p.m.

@RBN

" Go ask everyone in your ward who they would prefer to have as a D Coordinator. If they are in the Bishop's office, I guarantee you that 80% of them would prefer Kyle over Bronco."

I doubt it very much. Most people wouldn't care at all which one of them was running the defense, I wouldn't. Most people simply care whether or not the defense is any good not who is the one running it. Also where does this "guru" label for Whittingham come from? There is no doubt Whittingham is a fine coach and good defensive mind but "guru"? Come one. That sort of over the top hyperbole is what utah "fans" are always accusing BYU fans of yet utah "fans" seem to engage in it at least as much, if not more, than BYU fans ever do. LOL!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Dutchman | 1:09 p.m. Aug. 11, 2011
    Murray, UT

Wrong. The Utah Provo Mission is one of the highest baptizing missions in the church.

So a football player is exited to go to BYU because of what BYU offers both on and off the field, Y fans are exited about it too, and you have extrapolated that to mean people are calling Utah sinful and evil?

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 1:49 p.m.

@ Dutchman

Find it most interesting that very, very few BYU fans ever call Utah "evil" or sinful, while there are many Ute fans that delight in calling BYU by almost every name imaginable-not many of them good.

Like the overwhelming majority of BYU fans, I actually root for Utah in every game in every sport with one exception-when they are playing my Cougars. Although I am not certain, I do not believe that the inverse is true as it seems that most (ok this is not scientific) Utah fans seem to openly root against the Cougars and cheer for whoever is playing against them.

Just an observation from an old guy in Utah county, but I do not believe that most of the vitriol spewing from the Holy War originates from Cougar fans. The hatred seems much more one-sided that you indicate.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 2:56 p.m.

@Alpine Coug,

As easy as it may be to blame the rivalry vitriol on those outside your Utah County bubble, take it from an LDS Ute fan that's been to several BYU-Utah games in Provo - it goes both ways. BYU fans complain of beer throwing (I've never seen it, but I know of many obnoxious Ute fans), but I have seen hot dogs and soda showered on Ute fans at LES. My parents were booed in Princess-Bride-witch fashion as they quietly exited after the 1993 game. Plenty of examples on both sides of ugliness. There's good and bad on each side, and nobody can proclaim it "one-sided" fairly.

That said, why did I buy tickets to the game Sept 17 again? Oh yeah, I love football, I love my Utes and I'm willing to endure the hooligans to watch a great game live.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 3:27 p.m.

riddlemethis,

The Utah Provo Mission is one of the highest baptizing missions in the church

Not to divert the subject or get too technical but what are the boundaries of the Utah Provo Mission? Doesn't it extend into Southern Utah? I am talking about the opportunity to convert kids on campus. If BYU's student body is 99% LDS then where do all these coverts come from that you claim are available at BYU?

AlpineCoug,

I am a fairly old guy too and by my observation most BYU fans do not cheer for Utah to win any games. My stake has many BYU fans that would never set foot on the U of U campus unless they had a medical emergency and had to be treated at the U hospital. Once these BYU fans are called to serve in one of the singles wards near campus they come back and report how much they love the U and the students they associate with. Hinds made a decision that feels right to him. BYU fans need to stop thinking he chose the celestial kingdom over the telestial kingdom.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 11, 2011 3:33 p.m.

@Thlete,

I agree......BYU fans are hooligans, well stated.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 11, 2011 8:36 p.m.

@Byron Belka

I have Brett Keisel and Ryan Denney on the phone and they want to have a few words with you about NFL d lineman.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Players find many personal reasons to choose one school over another. Hinds clearly felt BYU was a better fit than the others for him. You win some, you lose some. He seems like a good and talented kid I hope he finds what he looking for and does well..